The Show

Desperate Housewives

Within a week, every housewife in Wallflowers was aquainted with Bom. Whereas her daily routine only included cleaning and housework before, now Bom found herself drinking tea and chatting casually with the housewives living nearby. Befriending them gave Bom a sense of comfort, like she was starting to feel that she belonged here. Yet, at the same time, there was something else lying underneath that she just couldn't quite pinpoint. 

"Did you make these, Bom? They're delicious." Yoona complimented as she bit into the cookies. Bom smiled at the woman and nodded. Out of everybody here, she saw Taeyeon and Yoona the most often. They talked about anything, from fellow housewife struggles to even the scandalous topic of ual desires. Their husband came up as a frequent subject, particularly Bom's since they hadn't meet him before.

Or so she thought at the time.

"Did your husband already left for work?" Taeyeon inquired, sitting cross-legged on the sofa. Bom was amazed at how the woman always seemed to give off an aura of her own. "You should introduce him to us." 

"Yeah." Yoona agreed eagerly, leaning towards Bom. "Is he handsome?"

Bom smiled, thinking about her spouse for a moment. Of course Seunghyun was handsome. That was partly why she was drawn to him in the first place. If she was honest, she would admit that she felt self-conscious when they were out in public because he was so much more good-looking. "Yes."

"Wow you are so smitten." Yoona turned to Taeyeon. "I bet he pampers her."

"Indeed." Taeyeon set her teacup down with a smile, cocking her head slightly at Bom. "What time does he usually come home?"

Bom blinked. She didn't think anything at the time, and only took it that Taeyeon was curious.

"9 or 10. 11 or 12 sometimes." 

"Whoa." Yoona formed an O with . "Then how do you guys have time for..." 

The way Yoona gestured her fingers was more than enough to suggest what she was talking about. They all bursted out giggling. Bom's face turned red, because even when her husband was late he wouldn't miss out on...that. 

"He...does his job." Yoona and Taeyeon looked at each other with Bom's answer. 

"Somehow I think you meant more than just making money outside." They started laughing again, but Bom waved her hand dismissively to drop the embarrassing topic. 

"Where do you live Taeyeon?" Bom asked. Despite seeing the woman quite often nowadays, Bom had never been or seen where Taeyeon's house was. 

"It's near the end of Wallflowers." 

"It's really big." Yoona offered. 

"Not that big." Taeyeon contradicted. 

"Big enough." 

Bom blinked at the women's exchange. Perhaps they sensed her puzzlement too, because they turned back to her with smiles. 

"I'll invite you over soon." Was what Taeyeon said at the time, but Bom thought it meant nothing more than sitting on Taeyeon's luxurious couch and ate lemon pie. 

If only she knew.

-----------------------------------------------

"Have a nice day at work honey." Bom walked Seunghyun out to the gate with her apron on. He hurriedly grabbed a toast from the plate she was holding and kissed her cheek before getting in his car.

"Bye." He waved at her, smiling that smile of his. She stood there and stared as the car slowly rolled outside, and finally disappearing out of sight. She slowly closed the gate, but stopped when she saw a truck slowly pulling up on the road. It slowed down and stopped, right next to the house next to hers. She saw men coming out of the truck and started unloading boxes from the back.

Was someone moving in? She pondered as she watched. The men carried the boxes into the house, and she shrugged before closing her gate and going inside. 

She saw Jessica and Sunny while she was hanging clothes on the balcony. 

"Hey Bom!" Sunny waved, jumping up and down to get her attention. Bom waved back.

"Laundry day?" Jessica asked, looking up.

"Yeah." Bom said. The two women were pointing and laughing at something on her clothesline, and Bom discovered to her chagrin that it was her husband's underwear. She hurriedly yanked the piece of clothing down. 

"Are you coming to the show?" Sunny yelled. Bom's brows furrowed,wondering what the female was talking about. 

"Taeyeon didn't tell you?" Jessica saw the confusion on her face. "Come down here and we'll explain!"

So Bom went down and talked with the two on the pavement. That was the first time she heard of 'the show'.

"Taeyeon has it about twice a month. It's the main event in Wallflowers." Sunny started, anticipation obvious on her face. "We're part of it ourselves."

"It's big enough to draw the attention of the media. It's even been featured in some magazines." Jessica elaborated. "Taeyeon is behind the whole event. It's very grand."

"What kind of show is it?" 

Once again, Sunny and Jessica shared a look with each other that only they could understand. "You'll see."

A show? What kind of show? Whatever it was, it surely was far from what she imagined at that moment. 

"It's on Friday night, 8 pm. Ask Taeyeon if you want to know more." Just like that, Sunny and Jessica left. However, Bom didn't really need to ask Taeyeon. The woman spoke herself.

"You have to come." Taeyeon handed her an elegant invitation with the words 'Housewives' Night' written on it. "It'll be amazing. I'll come pick you up." 

Bom couldn't refuse, partly because she was curious and partly because of Taeyeon's eyes boring into her own at that moment. It was like the woman was gently telling her brain to go without doing anything.

"But..." Bom trailed off. Taeyeon's presence prevented her from finishing her sentence. 

"But?" The woman pressed gently with an expectant smile. 

"I..." Bom lowered her gaze. "I don't have anything to wear." She admitted. Taeyeon's brows raised, and a smile spread across her face. 

"That you don't have to worry about." Even though Bom didn't exactly catch what Taeyeon meant, she nodded. "See you there, Bom."

----------------------------------------------

On Friday night, Bom was looking forward to 'the show', whatever it was. She finished all her housework early, and she was setting down the last of the dishes she cooked for her husband on the table when the doorbell rang. 

"Hey." Taeyeon greeted her cheerfully from the other side of the gate. "Ready?" 

Taeyeon brought her something to wear. It was a glamorous red velvet dress with a slit on the left that exposed a little of Bom's skin. She put it on, and felt a bit nervous as she emerged from the bathroom. Taeyeon smiled.

"It looks ravishing." The woman commented, using her hands to gently smooth the dress and pull it here and there to fit Bom's figure. "I'll do your makeup."

About half an hour alter, Bom opened her eyes and stared into the mirror. Inside the glass was someone who looked a little bit like her.

"You have nice hair," Taeyeon ran her hands through Bom's black locks to smooth it out as Bom kept staring into the mirror. "White porcelain skin," The woman then dabbed some blush onto Bom's cheeks. "Big round eyes," Taeyeon opened her mascara and softly brushed Bom's lashes with it. "And ample figure. It would be a shame to not make use of all that, wouldn't it?" 

The woman's face was right next to Bom's, her hands rested on Bom's shoulders. As she stared into the mirror, she marveled at how vastly different she looked. Smoky eyes with curving lashes, red lipstick, a tint of blush in her cheeks,...She would have thought it was someone else if she didn't know better. Taeyeon smiled, and somehow Bom felt as if the woman inside the mirror was staring right back at her in a parallel dimension. 

"It's just an idea." Taeyeon released her shoulders."Don't let it get to your head." 

A while later, Bom and Taeyeon were joined by other housewives in Wallflowers on the way to Taeyeon's house. She met Yoona, Sunny and Jessica. She also saw Tiffany, Hyoyeon, and some others she didn't know too well. They all greeted her and chatted among themselves excitedly as their heels clicked on the pavement with each step. Everyone was dressed up and Bom was glad Taeyeon prevented her from going out looking like a hot mess. 

"You look gorgeous, Bom." Yoona gushed, linking her arm with Bom's. "Where did you get that dress?"

"Taeyeon let me borrow it." Yoona nodded, appreciating the garment.

"You can have it." Taeyeon spoke, surprising Bom. Before she could protest the woman put on her designer glasses. The other women did the same thing, but Bom didn't because she didn't have any glasses. She looked up, and there before her was Taeyeon's house.

Calling it a house was kind of a stretch. It looked more like a mansion. With its wide front yard and massive build, the building loomed over her like a giant. Taeyeon led them beyond the front doors and into the house, and Bom marveled at the interior. Everything was polished and flawless, from the walls to the ceiling right down to the furnitures and decorations. The inside was as spacious as the exterior suggested, and every room had an individual style that somehow blended together very well.

They walked through the dimly lit hall, into a crowd of flashing lights that Bom later realized were from cameras. All of them except Bom walked confidently in their stride, as if they were all too used to it.

"Miss Kim please give us your thoughts on the 30th anniversary of the show." A man held out a mic towards Taeyeon as the cameras beside them clicked away. 

"It's going to be amazing." Taeyeon curtly answered, and the housewives followed her suit as they passed the paparazzi. Bom glanced back towards the reporters, wondering just what kind of event could draw that kind of attention. 

Taeyeon led them to a wide open room, with a ceiling that felt sky high. It was spacious, and Bom felt as if she was inside a small theater. There were round tables and chairs set up, with people already sitting and sipping their drinks. Some of the people were going around and passing out drinks on a tray. There was chatting and laughing in the room to signal an air of intimacy, yet everything was high-class and glamorous. She could see men in sharp suits drinking champagne and talking in the corner. There were even guards near the walls.

At the head of the room was a stage that stretched horizontally into the red curtains hanging on both sides. The stage had a platform that reached vertically and divided the room into two. 

"Wow." Bom marveled.

"You haven't seen anything yet." Yoona whispered. They sat down at a table, except Tiffany who stood up and said something to Taeyeon before disappearing outside the room. "It's about to start."

True to Yoona's words, the red curtains withdrew from the center stage. A woman appeared in front of the mic as the light shone on her.

"Ladies and gentlemen, tonight marks the 30th anniversary of Housewives' Night in Wallflowers." There was enthusiastic clapping. "Let's see what's in store or us all tonight." 

Everyone clapped, including Bom. There was a sense of nervous excitement in her stomach as the woman on the stage disappeared. Moments later, the curtains lifted again to reveal a line of violin and cello players. In the center of the stage was...Tiffany! 

"I want to be loved by you, and only you, baby...

I want to be kissed by you and only you, baby..."

The woman started singing much to Bom's surprise. The instrument players behind Tiffany accompanied her singing with soft melodious music. Bom found herself swaying from side to side with Tiffany's melodious voice. Suddenly, women started to appear from both sides of the stages. They had their hands on their hips as they strutted to the center , all of them adorning various eye-catching clothes.

"A fashion show?" Bom asked Yoona. 

"Well that's one way to put it." Yoona's answer puzzled her,but she didn't think about it as she observed the stage. The women were all beautiful, and when they reached the vertical platform they started dancing and twirling to the music. 

Bom glanced sideways, and her brows furrowed when she saw some of the men were doing something strange. They held something like remotes in their hands and were pressing on it as they watched the performance. 

"What are they doing?" 

"Oh, they're voting. For the best model and performer." 

Bom was in for a lot of surprises that night. She learned that the housewives in Wallflowers all performed in the show, be it singing or dancing or both. Taeyeon was in charge of the event, and Bom looked at the woman from time to time as the show went on. When Bom asked who the men in the room were,she answered that they were people she knew in the model and fashion world. 

When the show ended with a performance of a male singer named Baekhyun, Bom felt like she was just on a ride to another world. The best model and performer were chosen, and she clapped loudly when she saw that Yoona was one of the winners. 

"I'll take you home, Bom." Taeyeon offered, but they were interrupted when a few men started talking to Taeyeon. 

"It's fine I can go myself." She started walking, and glanced back. "It was amazing. You did a good job."

Taeyeon smiled at her before resuming her talk with the men. 

-----------------------------------------

The man jogged everything she said down, flipping pages of the notepad in the process. Bom reached for the glass of water on the shiny table and drank, her lips relishing the liquid.

"So that was the first time you were at the show?" Bom nodded, gazing anywhere in the room but the man's eyes. 

"What happened next?"

What happened next? What happened next was a series of events. Namely, her new neighbor and a woman named Hyuna. 

"The car wash." She looked up into the man's eyes. " next was the car wash."

--------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

JUST FOR THE RECORD, I AM NOT ABANDONING MY OTHER STORIES. I'M SIMPLY NOT UPDATING THEM AS OFTEN BECAUSE I WANT TO FOCUS ON THIS ENTRY. I WILL STILL UPDATE THEM, JUST NOT AS OFTEN.

 

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT! LEAVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS!

TEASER: Who is Bom's new neighbor? And who exactly is Hyuna? What are the housewives not telling Bom?