The Discovery

Desperate Housewives

And so it was that Bom became Tiffany's replacement in Taeyeon's show on Saturday. She was subjected to rigorous practice during the days leading up to the show, and was assigned as the opening and ending performance. She even had the luxury of having her own costume, which was a flashy but intricate Chinese Oriental dress. 

She was taught about everything, from where to stand to how to hold the mic to the way she look at the audience. Of course they made her practice the two songs she was going to sing over and over until was dry and parched. Much to their suprise. Bom could sing pretty well. Her voice was uniquely husky and added a warm layer to the feel of the repertoire. 

"So at about 1 minute into the song we're going to scatter cherry blossoms from above the stage." Yoona instructed, pointing up at the rails where the lights were hanging. "Just a heads up."

"All right." She scanned her surroundings, finding people calling to each other and sewing and balancing on ladders. Everybody was working their butts off for the show. 

"How do you feel?" Yoona inquired with a smile. 

"Nervous, I guess."

"Don't be. Everything'll be fine." Yoona then proceeded to tuck a strand of Bom's hair behind her ear. "You'll be amazing."

There was a glint in Yoona's eyes that she couldn't quite catch on, and she just smiled forcibly at the female. 

"I would say that's all for today. You should go home and rest." It was one day before the show. Whenever she was done with her practice for the show, she still managed to keep up with researching and the secret plan with Hyuna. She still had to borrow Kris's laptop, who understandably was getting more and more suspicious about her activities.

She looked into the demise of Hyuna's boyfriend, and stumble upon some interesting facts. He died from a gang shooting at the now-abandoned Seoul Subway around midnight years ago. Reports stated that no one survived the shooting, and there was nothing and no one to use to investigate or question. It was classified as a done deal and was probably sinking in the bottom of police files at the moment. 

Yet, there were some twists and turns. Hyuna stated herself that Taeyeon had something to do with her boyfriend's death, and that he was "working" for Taeyeon when he was alive. Although there was nothing to support the female's theory, Bom couldn't shake off the notion that there was more than what meet the eyes.

"I'll see you Saturday night then." Bom replied, smiling at Yoona who nodded and started walking away. 

Tomorrow she was going to Seoul Subway to investigate, and on Saturday she would finally uncover the mysteries that shrouded this glossy neighborhood called Wallflowers. 

--------------------------------------------------

 

The next day she woke up with Seoul Subway on her mind, before realizing that there was no one to take her. Her husband already left that morning, leaving a note on the nightstand. She smiled a little after remembering their activities last night, and felt like she hadn't smiled in ages as she stood up and showered. She realized that recently her life was filled with complications, and the time and place for something as simple as smiling sincerely became a luxury. She suddenly longed for ignorance and wished that she never got herself involved with Hyuna nor the housewives at Wallflowers. 

After getting dressed in jeans and sweater, she pondered over how she would get to Seoul Subway. It wasn't that far by car, but with walking it would take forever. She didn't feel like walking there and back on a day where she could "rest." 

Even so, curiosity burned through her. She felt like she must visit the place to see if she could find anything else related to the deaths. She had this feeling of foreboding that refused to leave her alone. 

Her musing led her to her front doors, and she made up her mind. She closed and locked the gate before swinging the strap of her purse around her, looking furtively around to make sure no one was passing by. She snuck up to the front steps of her (mysterious) neighbor and knocked three times. 

After a few seconds, he emerged in pants and a t shirt. Surprisingly he still looked good in the morning. 

"What is it?" He asked groggily. 

"I'm sorry for asking this of you so early in the morning," She began carefully. "But can you give me a ride to somewhere?"

Her bright idea found her sitting in his car next to him as it sped down the road. Both of them made no attempt at talking. She was cursing herself on the inside for asking him to give her a lift. He was already suspecting her and Hyuna, and letting him join her on her investigation was a dumb move.

She had no choice though. If she wanted to find out more about things before Saturday rolled around, she better be quick. He was the best-if not only-plausible candidate she could ask. 

"It's a, umm, pretty nice day." She offered, breaking the thick silence. He didn't say anything in return and stared straight at the road. She pursed her lips, and tentatively reached out to turn on the radio. Soft music filled the space, and she distracted herself by humming lightly to the songs as she looked out the windows. 

"Why do you need to go to Seoul Subway?" He spoke, his voice causing her to look at him. Her heart was beating a mile a second, and her hands were getting clammy in her lap. Think, Bom, think. What could you possibly be up to, visiting an abandoned subway station? Oh right, nothing except something less-than-legitimate. 

"Well..." She swallowed, feeling his eyes peeking at her from the side. Something about the vibe he gave off was intimidating, and she felt like he interrogated for a living as he suddenly pressed on the gas pedal and sped up. She raked her brain, but whatever she said sounded suspicious. "I just, uhhh, wanted to visit it. That's all."

That was the worst thing she could have said, and she gulped in anxiety as she averted her gaze away from him. She could see his brows furrowing out of the corner of her eyes, and started breathing fast as if he would bust her right that second. He didn't say anything else after her reply, but she knew he was onto her. 

They arrived at the subway a few minutes later, to to Bom it felt like years. She carefully alighted the car, observing the stairs leading to the deserted station right in front of her. The area around was vacant, and she could only see about 1 or 2 people passing by. 

Kris stood next to her, his hands in his pockets as he too looked around. When she took a step down the set of stairs he regarded her with a frown, and watched as she continued to go down further into the darkness that awaited her beyond the stairs.

"Aish." He grunted before following her as she ventured deeper. She reached out and touched the walls beside her for support, and when she couldn't see anymore she stopped.

"Do you have your cell phone?" She asked Kris, feeling his presence behind her in the dark. 

"What for?"

"Turn it on." She said. When he did, the small light from the phone allowed her to see a little bit. She could see the floor littered with trash and the like, as well as the musty walls and dirty ceiling. Dust hung in a thick mist, and at any given moment the unpleasant smell in the atmosphere threatened to make her gag. To add to her distaste she could hear mice squeaking in dark corners. 

"Why are we here again?" Kris asked her, following closely behind. She strangely felt safer in his presence, but dismissed the notion as being due to the creepy place she was in. Maybe asking him to come along wasn't that bad, she thought as she inspected the dark space. This place was seriously giving her the creeps.

They ventured farther, feeling as if the subway was a catacomb that stretched on endlessly. At one point the road ahead was blocked with cones and heavy boxes, and they had to descend down to the subway tracks to keep exploring.

The deeper she got, the more she felt like she was wasting time. What in the lord's name could she expect to find in a place like this? It was an abandoned subway station. Nothing more. Nothing less.

With that thought in mind, she opened to tell Kris to head back; however, he suddenly protruded his arm in front of her to stop her from going any farther. 

"Did you hear that?" He whispered, in a cautious tone. Immediately she was on edge, frantically scanning around her as her heart picked up the pace. Suddenly the shadows seemed looming, and she didn't want to think about the various things hiding inside them. Every sound made her jump, and she was fully on panic mode as she clutched Kris's sleeve tightly.

"What?!" She whispered back, her tone giving away her fear. He didn't answer her, and instead looked around with a frown as if he could see past the shadows. His behavior did nothing to ease her anxiety, and she found herself one second away from breaking out into a run as she pulled on his sleeve. 

"Let's..."

Before she could finish, a sudden yell that came from behind her made her heart stop for a few seconds. She was paralyzed as Kris shoved her to the ground. She blinked rapidly to get her bearing and squinted her eyes to see what was happening.

Kris was gripping a man's wrist; a man who looked like he came straight out of a horror movie. His clothes hung onto his dirty frame in rags, and the amount of hair on his face was astounding. He had a piece of glass in his hand, which would explain why Kris pushed her and was trying to fight the man off. With one push he shoved the strange man to the ground and kicked the piece of glass away from reach. She watched with widened eyes as the man picked himself up and charged at Kris again with a distorted scream that resounded within the space. The man was on top of Kris now, with both arms in Kris's grasp as he flailed wildly about like a goose caught in a net. Bom quickly regained her composure and spotted a small bar of wood not far away, and within a few seconds she induced the strange man into unconsciousness with a sound whack in the back of his head. 

She helped Kris up, dusting the man and asking if he was fine.

"Pretty much." Kris answered, adrenaline still pumping through his veins. Bom was also panting, her anxiety slowly subsiding as she looked at the unconscious man lying near them. "Who's that?"

"Beats me." She replied, raking her brain. Who the heck was this man and what was he doing in here? Was he a homeless? Even if he was she was sure that there were better options out there than a place like this. No. Her guts told her that this man wasn't just here by mere coincidence. "We need to carry him out."

"What?"

"You can carry him on your back, right?" She didn't look at Kris, because she knew he would look at her as if she was nuts. Since he was already suspicious anyway, Bom decided she might as well let the male in on the secrets. Right now, she needed his help. 

"Me? Carry him?" Kris questioned incredulously, as if it was utterly unbelievable. She nodded, and started walking ahead leaving Kris with no choice but to sling the man up on his back with a grunt and following behind as they headed outside. 

------------------------------------------------

 

She sat in the hospital hall, watching the nurses and doctors pass by as she waited for Kris to return. A few moments later he appeared, and she instantly stood up.

"Who is he?" She asked, not waiting for him to even say anything. She was too anxious; the kind of anxiety one got when he was about to stumble upon a discovery. "What's his name?"

"They haven't run an ID check yet. He had some diseases." Kris told her. "But they were just minor infections and the like. They cleaned him up and left him sleeping until they can run an identification check and let us know."

Bom frowned, deep in thought as she sat down on the bench. Who exactly was this man? Why did she feel like sh saw him somewhere before? Soon her head was spinning, and Kris's hands on her shoulders helped steadying her lest she fell face-down on the hospital floor. 

"You okay?" She nodded, shrugging off his hands. They sat there like that without talking for a few minutes, just watching people passing by. 

"Mr. Wu and Miss Park?" They both stood up when the nurse approached and called their names. "The man you brought with you has been identified, but we can't see any relative nor acquaintances listed with him."

"What's his name?" She asked the nurse, her brows furrowing. 

"I believe he's..." The nurse looked down at her clipboard. "Bang Yongguk."

Bom gasped. He was Hyuna's deceased boyfriend.

-----------------------------------------------------

 

"Wait wait wait," the man stopped her, holding up his hand. "You found Hyuna's dead boyfriend?"

"Yup." 

"But he's dead."

"Was." She replied, feeling surreal herself as she recalled the memory. "Apparently he was still alive."

"How?" The man inquired, making her heave a sigh that could make the room cave in. "What happened then?"

The show, of course. On that fateful Saturday night.