Welcome

Desperate Housewives

"Hi!"

That was the first time she met Taeyeon. In person, at least. 

"Are you Kim Taeyeon?" She asked the smiling woman standing on the other side of the gate. The woman took off her sunglasses, revealing her beautiful features.

"Yes I am."

In a sense, Bom was a little star struck. Seeing the infamous supermodel in person wasn't something she would have imagined, much less standing right outside her doors. 

"Come in." Bom opened the gate with a polite smile, and Taeyeon went through. As Bom walked ahead into the house, Taeyeon followed suit as she observed its features and surroundings. Bom couldn't help but feel like the woman was inspecting her house like some sort of realtor on a reality TV show. "Please sit down." Bom motioned to the sofa, to which Taeyeon complied. She poured tea as Taeyeon presented the small round tray she was holding.

"Lemon pie." Taeyeon said. "Welcome to Wallflowers." With a bright yet elegant smile, she handed Bom the tray.

"Thank you." 

"Where's your husband?" Taeyeon inquired, sipping the tea. Bom was a little taken aback at how the woman knew she was married, but the ring on her finger was telling enough. 

"He left for work already." Taeyeon nodded, crossing her legs. Bom noticed that the clothes the woman had on were far from what she herself kept in the wardrobe. She felt self-conscious next to someone who just screamed stylish with every cell of her whole being. "I'm sorry if things look messy. We just moved in yesterday."

"Oh." Taeyeon set down the teacup. "How did you end up here? I mean, it isn't really a place anybody can just move in."

At the time, Bom didn't think too much about the question or about what Taeyeon could possibly imply. Wallflowers was an exclusive suburb reserved for well-to-do folks, namely Taeyeon herself. 

"My husband got promoted." Bom smiled, still feeling slightly surreal. The fact that she was sitting here having a conversation with Kim Taeyeon in the flesh didn't exactly feel real either. "We've always wanted to move into a bigger house, so here we are."

Taeyeon's brow raised, as if she was saying something interesting. 

"What does your husband do?"

"It's something involved with business. I'm not too sure myself." Her husband didn't really tell her specifically what his line of work was, and Bom didn't want to ask just in case she ruffled his feathers. When you were a housewife, you couldn't really inquire where the money came from. "He makes good money from it."

The corner of Taeyeon's mouth twitched. She stood up with her purse in two, and smiled at Bom with that smile of hers. 

"Let's go. I'll show you around the neighborhood."

Bom was hesitant. But she didn't want to be rude to the woman. Since all she was going to do was cleaning and unpacking anyway, she might as well get aquainted with where she was going to live. 

And so they emerged on the pavement of Wallflowers, with beautifully lavished surbuban houses located on both sides. The morning air was crisp, and not a cloud dotted the blue sky above as she and Taeyeon trotted side by side. 

"That's Tiffany's house." Taeyeon pointed at a house painted light pink. "She used to be a singer, but she's a housewife now." What drew Bom's attention wasn't really the house nor its color, but the diamond ring that rested on Taeyeon's ring finger. It reflected the sunshine and glimmered right into her eyes. They resumed walking, and saw a young woman watering her plants in the yard moments later.

"Hi Yoona." Taeyeon waved, to which the woman waved back. Similar to Taeyeon, the woman had clear white skin and was beautiful. "She just moved here." Taeyeon introduced Bom.

"Nice to meet you." Yoona smiled, offering her hand to which Bom shook. "I'm Yoona."

"I'm Bom." 

"That's a pretty name. Spring." Yoona's eyes lit up in the sunlight, and Bom the thought the woman looked even more radiant than her plants. "You'll get along with everybody here. We're all housewives with nothing better to do."

She was surprised to learn that most-if not all-the women at Wallflowers were housewives. Taeyeon herself-in a sense -was also one, even though Bom would soon come to know better. 

They bidded goodbye to Yoona, and kept walking. On the way they met a few more women, who all seemed delighted to meet Bom. Some of them even invited her for lunch. 

"Sorry, I gotta take this call." Taeyeon fished out her ringing phone, and nodded at Bom before leaving her with Sunny and Jessica to answer. 

"Whose house is it over there?" Bom asked Jessica amidst their conversation, pointing towards a house across the street not too far away. The house was painted black and red, and the windows were shut with curtains despite the morning light.

"Oh." Jessica looked over to Sunny, and Bom got the sense they were talking about something only they knew. "That's Hyuna's." 

"You would do well not to get close to her." Sunny commented, her eyes looking in the direction. 

"Why?" 

"She's..." Jessica started. 

"A ." Sunny interrupted, to which Jessica frowned. "It's the truth."

"Well rumors are going around that she's sleeping with men in the neighborhood while her husband is on a business trip." Jessica attempted at an explanation. 

"It's not just rumors. Sooyoung saw men coming into her house." Sunny offered. "Some even say that she's..."

"She's what?" 

"A h..." Sunny didn't finish what she was about to say because Taeyeon appeared. "Come over for tea later!" Sunny said, waving with. Jessica as Taeyeon and Bom walked away. 

"What were you guys talking about?" Taeyeon asked with a smile.

"Oh...we were just talking about a woman named Hyuna..." Bom trailed off, not sure if she should ask Taeyeon. 

"I see." Was all Taeyeon said, but Bom thought she saw a glint of something in the female's eyes. 

Unknown to them, another woman was watching. From behind the curtains, she peeked through the windows out at Taeyeon and Bom. After the two women were out of sight, she left the windows and approached the makeup table. Her own reflection stared back at her as she applied red lipstick. As she pulled on her lace tights, the doorbell rang. 

her lips, the woman smirked as she leaned closer into the mirror. 

And the story of the desperate housewives unfolded...

---------------------------------------------

"At the time did you...know what was going on?" The man questioned Bom, his pen ready to scribble any info into the notepad on the table. She cocked her head to the side, recalling her first meeting with Taeyeon and the housewives in Wallflowers. 

"No. Not at all." She folded her hands on the table. "I barely moved in the day before."

The man nodded, jotting down what she said. The sound of pen scribbling across paper echoed in her ears. She didn't know the noise could be that loud.

"Did you feel...like something was off?" The man gestured with his hands, attempting to clarify what 'off' was. Bom blinked, lowering her eyes to recall that meeting. Did she? Now that she was thinking about it, there might have been a few things that should have stood out.

"Maybe?"

The man stared straight back into her eyes, as if trying to decipher her answer. Then he looked down and started writing again.

"When exactly...did everything started?" 

What kind of question was that? When did everything started? That was like asking when did she start breathing with . There was no solid point in time-that she knew of-when everything began. But if she had to pinpoint, she would have to say...

"The show." Yes, that was it. "When she invited me to the show."

-------------------------------------------------------------