The Car Wash

Desperate Housewives

The car wash took place a few days after the show. It was apparently a longtime ritual in Wallflowers to have a gathering and wash cars after the show to talk about it. It was also the first time Bom encountered the woman called Hyuna. 

It was also the first time Bom had an inkling that something was wrong.

"Pass me the tray meat container please." Taeyeon said, flipping the slices of meat on the grill. Bom snapped from her trance and did as Taeyeon asked. Outside in the yard the housewives were having fun splashing water on Yoona's car. Their loud laughter and chattering broke the silence of the afternoon. Bom stayed inside the garage to help Taeyeon with the food and drinks, but it was also because of the feeling that she was still an outsider. 

"Did you like the show?" Taeyeon inquired, making conversation as she watched the meat crumpled under the heat. 

"Yeah. It was terrific." Bom poured herself some lemonade. "You're in charge of all that?"

"Uh huh. I get to pick out who'll be in it and whatnot. I can hire people if I want to." Taeyeon cocked her head to the side as she placed the slices on the plate with the thong. "I plan everything."

There was something about the way Taeyeon put it that made Bom glance at the female as she gulped down her lemonade. 

"Isn't it a hassle to plan something like that twice a month?" 

"Not really. You get used to things." She could the fire in the grill reflected in Taeyeon's eyes. "The people know what to do once they have an idea." She turned to Bom. "It's quite fun, too."

Bom nodded, and gazed out at the women horsing around outside. She looked to the left, and saw a sleek black car coming up the road. She watched as the car slowed down to a stop right beside the curb in front of Yoona's house. The women in the front stopped playing around as a car door opened on the other side.

"Someone's here." Taeyeon turned to look in the direction Bom was looking. For a moment, she could see annoyance crossing the woman's features.

"Well well." A voice Bom didn't recognize could be heard. She stood up and joined the others standing outside to see who it was. "This looks fun."

It was a woman, dressed in a skimpy rompers with dangling earrings and sunglasses in one hand. She was young, and looked just as beautiful as the others. But there was a different air to her features; it was something fiery yet icy so unlike the charming innocence they gave off. 

"Can I join?" The woman asked, smiling mockingly. The women around Bom started whispering, some held agitated expressions on their faces. 

"Why are you here," Jessica spoke up, her tone pensive and unwelcoming unlike how she usually sounded. "Hyuna?"

Bom blinked. So this was the woman. Hyuna let out a chuckle, and her lips as she clenched her jaws. The women around Bom now looked downright hostile. 

"Why else?" She jerked her head at her own car. "To get my car washed." She suddenly tossed the car keys to Sooyoung, who just rolled her eyes and put her hands on her hips as she let the keys hit the ground. 

"Yah." Sooyoung was face to face with Hyuna, and Bom could sense a conflict about to break out. "Do I look like your servant?" 

Several tense seconds passed, to which Bom swore she could hear a bird moving in the tree branches. She tensed herself, and looked at the women around her. They all crossed their arms and watched the two females stared each other down. Why weren't they interfering? 

"Why else would I have toss the keys to you?" Hyuna spoke, her tone sweet yet full of contempt. That seemed to did it for Sooyoung.

"You !" In a flash, she grabbed Hyuna's hair and the two started to wrestle each other. A loud commotion broke out as the women surrounding Bom crowded around the two women, some trying to break them apart and some telling Sooyoung to rip Hyuna's hair off. The two clawed each other and fell down onto the bed of grass in a tangle, looking like battling lionesses in a safari. Bom herself stood there not knowing what to do.

"Girls!"

Taeyeon's authoritative voice broke through the commotion, and the crowd dispersed as Taeyeon appeared. Sooyoung grudgingly let go of Hyuna and dusted herself as Taeyeon stood in front of the two. Everybody was quiet as Hyuna stood up from the grass and crossed her arms in front of Taeyeon.

"If it isn't the herself." Hyuna commented with a sneer. Even if she didn't know what was happening, Bom could feel an intense aura of hatred coming from Hyuna. She pursed her lips and watched the scene with uneasiness. "How honored I am to see the Queen in the flesh."

"If you don't have anything better to do, leave." Taeyeon said, to which Hyuna just laughed. Then Sunny suddenly whispered "other than sleeping around" and caused the women to snicker. Hyuna scoffed, looking at the women with something in her eyes that Bom couldn't make out of. It was as if...the woman knew something. 

"Like you all are any different." She thought that was what Hyuna said, but she could have been wrong. Hyuna started walking away, but when she was passing by Taeyeon Hyuna whispered something into the female's ears that Bom couldn't make out. Then the woman walked away, and Bom lowered her gaze as the female passed. She heard the engine of Hyuna's car roared to life and sped away. For a few moments, the silence was so deafening that Bom could still hear the car as it disappeared. 

"The food is done." Taeyeon broke the silence, and walked into the garage. The other women, including Bom, followed her inside. Bom glanced back at the road, replaying the confrontation that happened just minutes ago in her mind.

This, combined with her own run-in to Hyuna a little bit later, was her first clue that something was off in Wallflowers. But she hadn't got to that part yet, so let's get to it now.

A while later, after a meal with the housewives-which was sufficiently awkward-due to the confrontation, she left for home and walked down Wallflowers street. Her mind was filled with questions, particularly about the woman named Hyuna. 

Why was she like that to the other women? Even more so when it was Taeyeon?

With these in her mind, she was distracted for some time until she saw someone up ahead. It was a woman, and the romper told her it was Hyuna. The woman was sitting on her own front porch, her back to Bom as she hunched over. She could see the woman's shoulders shaking as she was closer. 

Bom contemplated asking the woman if she was okay, but Hyuna suddenly looked up with an angry gaze as she was passing by. The woman hurriedly wiped at her red eyes, which told Bom she was crying, and stood up so fast Bom thought she was going to lunge at her. Instead she only spared Bom a hostile glance and turned to walk into her house.

Bom stared at the woman, and was about to walk away when she saw something Hyuna must have dropped on the ground. It was a photo. Bom picked it up, and despite herself, looked at it.

It was a photo of a young man, somewhere around Hyuna's age (whatever age she was). He was smiling widely and cheekily into the camera, and there was a certain feeling that surrounded the photo. A feeling that told her it was something treasured.

Suddenly, Hyuna angrily yanked the photo out her hands. The woman looked at the photos, then back to Bom with eyes that were wet from crying.

"If you don't want the same thing to happen to you," the woman spoke vehemently, her gaze landing down at the photo. "Stay away from them."

Then she turned and disappeared inside her house, leaving a dumbstruck Bom outside.

------------------------------------------------

The whole incident felt odd, enough to made Bom think about it as she cooked breakfast for her husband the next morning. 

"Morning honey." Her husband's voice woke her from her trance. She turned to him as he kissed her on the cheek. "Something smells good." 

"I'm scrambling some eggs." She said, turning to the stove again to stir the egg in the pot. Seunghyun wrapped his arms around her waist and put his head on her shoulder.

"I didn't mean the food." He whispered, and planted a kiss on the side of her neck. She giggled, and shrugged him off as she put the egg on a plate at the table.

"You're gonna be late if you don't hurry." She took a seat right across from him. As he ate she thought about things. Like the fact that Wallflowers surely was strange, as well as the love lost between Taeyeon and Hyuna. Of course there was that advice Hyuna grudgingly gave her yesterday.

"Stay away from them." She whispered the woman's words, causing her husband to look up. 

"What?" 

"Nothing." She smiled at him, snapping herself back to the present. "Is it good?"

"Uh huh." He gobbled down some more before standing up and grabbing his jacket. "I'll get going."

"I'll walk you out."

Like usual, she stood out there and watched her husband's car sped down the road and disappeared. When she turned to go inside she saw something-or rather someone-opening the doors and going inside the house next to hers. It was quick so she couldn't exactly see who it was. 

So someone did move in, she thought. But what happened with the last owner? She could remember that the house was occupied when she moved in. 

A while later, she was hanging the laundry up in the balcony. Suddenly, she heard doors opening and shuffling footsteps. Peeking out from the hanging laundry, she peeped at the balcony of the house next to hers. Her balcony and next door's weren't too far apart, and she watched as someone stepped into view. 

It was a man, who was strangely tall. He was young from what she could see, and he was talking on the phone as he stood on his balcony. He had black hair that was spiked up with gel in the front, and good physique. She didn't know why, but she remained there hidden behind her hanging laundry. 

The man was frowning as he talked on the phone. He paced back and forth and had his hand on the railing sometimes when he gazed out into the sky. She couldn't hear what he was talking about, just a few words that strayed to her ears.

"...here...no...she....haven't met her...got a feeling...careful..."

At one point, he suddenly turned around and looked over at her balcony. She quickly hid out of sight and stayed there until she heard him going back inside. 

So that was her new neighbor. Although Bom was curious, she never actually thought of meeting him face to face until a while later when the drain in the sick started gurgling and murky water threatened to overflow her whole kitchen.

With much anxiousness, she pressed the doorbell of the house next door. She heard her neighbor's footsteps and the doors opened to reveal the man.

"Yeah?"

That was the first time she met Wu Yi Fan. Or Kris, which was what he went by at the time.

"Can you help me?" She said, lowering her gaze from his intense stare. Something about it unnerved her. She explained her predicament, and he stood there examining her for a few minutes as if to check if she was lying. Then he agreed to follow her into the house. A while later, after some splashing and twisting, he fixed the drain. 

"Thank you." She saw that his arms were wet. She offered him some napkin, and he wiped his hands with it. "Do you want some tea?" 

"No it's fine." He started walking away, but she didn't feel right letting him go back like that. 

"I'll walk you ou..." Before she could do that however, she slipped on the water that dripped on the floor. He hurriedly caught her wrist and pulled her back up,and even through the sleeve she could see his biceps moving.

He must work out a lot, she thought. 

He asked if she was okay, much to her embarrassment. Then he went back. Bom stood at the gate and discreetly watched as he went inside his house.

Little did she knew that he would play an important role in everything that unfolded later.

-------------------------------------------------

The sound of the pen across paper was really starting to get on her nerves.

"What did you think Hyuna meant?" The man asked her, and she sighed wearily. 

"I didn't know. I thought it was strange but..." She trailed off, recalling the woman. She didn't know, but at that time she was sure that what she knew now definitely did not cross her mind. 

"Did you know that Wu Yi Fan..." At the mention of the name, Bom snapped.

"Look if I knew everything back then I would have packed my bags and get the hell out." She leaned back in the chair, exhausted both physically and mentally.

"What comes next?" The man questioned after a few silent moments. She inhaled, and exhaled heavily.

"Something happened."

"What?"

"It..." Bom stopped, recalling it in her mind.

---------------------------------------------