Second Chance

Second Chance

Chapter 3

 

The wedding, although prepared in a hurry & came as a surprised to everyone, was a huge success. Everyone commented about the beautiful blushing bride & the handsome doting & protective groom.

 

Yuri was getting tired of standing next to her new husband & smiling in front of everyone. The reception was starting to take its toll. Her whole body ached from the tip of her toe to the last strand of her brownish black, wavy mid-back length hair. She was exhausted, not just physically but mentally & emotionally as well. She secretly took a peek at Jaejoong & he seemed to be taking everything in stride. Someone came over & dragged Jaejoong to the side for a conversation. She took this opportunity to excuses herself & searched for a secluded spot to rest her weary bones.

 

She found a chair away from the main reception hall. Tears of self-pity sprung in her eyes as she gazed at the happy guests at her wedding party.


“What is the bride doing out here all on her own?” A low timbered voice interrupted her dark thoughts.

 

Yuri almost jumped out of her skin, “Huh? What?”


“Let me introduce myself, my name is Shim Changmin, a business associate of your husband.”

 

“Um...nice to meet you.” Yuri forced herself to smile.


“Are you alright? You seem so melancholy sitting out here, looking at your own party.” Changmin stared thoughtfully at the gorgeous but sad-looking bride.

 

“I was just resting a bit. It’s been a long day.” Yuri smiled, trying to cover up her mood.

 

“Yuri. There you are, everyone is looking for you.” Jaejoong approached her.


“Congratulations.” Changmin & Jaejoong shook hands, “You sure have a beautiful bride here.”

 

“Yeah. Thank you. Hey Changmin, have you had a chance to look over that contract I sent you?”

 

“Don’t you think there are better things to talk about at your own wedding?” Changmin couldn’t help but challenge the statement. He stared at Yuri’s impassive face & felt a strong sense of protectiveness coming out of nowhere.

 

“You are right.” Jaejoong shrugged his shoulders. Then he turned to Yuri, “What are you doing here?”

 

“Your bride looks tired, maybe you guys should ditch the reception & go enjoy your honeymoon.” Changmin answered, for her in a tone laced with sarcasm.

 

Yuri immediately said, “I have rested well enough. I’m ready to go back now.” She smiled at Changmin & headed towards the main reception with Jaejoong. She knew that Jaejoong wanted to use this party as an excuses to establish further business contacts & she didn’t want to impede him in any way.

 

Changmin’s brown, almond-shaped eyes never left the bride. He wondered what was really going on with the newly married couple, wishing that he had met Yuri before Jaejoong did.

 

The reception was finally over & the newlyweds made it back to Jaejoong’s apartment.

 

“That was a success.” Jaejoong grinned wildly.


“Hmmm.” Yuri was way too tired to care much about anything else right now except bed. She headed towards where the bedrooms were & stopped. Feeling extremely awkward, she asked, “Where do I sleep?”

 

The simple question pierced Jaejoong’s euphoric mood. He really didn’t want to deal with any of this marriage issue & would rather pretend that the whole situation didn’t exists, “I think it would be more practical if you use the guestroom.”

 

Yuri couldn’t control the flicker of hurt from showing on her face, “Okay.” She agreed in a small voice.

 

Jaejoong once again, felt like he was lower than a snake’s belly. He touched Yuri’s shoulder, “If you want to, you can sleep in the main bedroom but I just thought it would be wiser if we keep this relationship platonic until we figure out which direction we are heading.”

 

“Yuri?” Jaejoong called, from the office.


“What’s wrong?” Yuri immediately asked. Jaejoong had never called from work before. Actually, they hardly ever saw each other since the wedding which was three months already.

 

“Nothing’s wrong. What made you ask that?”


“Its nothing. I guess I was just surprised that you called, that’s all.” Yuri started to relax.

 

Jaejoong frowned. He never called her before? Pushing that thought aside, he asked, “I was wondering if you are free tonight? One of my business associate is having a party & we are both invited.”


“This is kind of a late notice, isn’t it?” Yuri answered sarcastically.

 

“I’m sorry about that. I forgot all about it until my secretary brought it to my attention. So, can you go?” “Who’s hosting the party?”

 

“Shim Changmin. I think you met him at our reception.”

 

Yuri thought back to that evening. Yes, she remembered Changmin. She remembered how nice he was & how he had tried to come to her rescue, “Yes, I can go. What time are we going?”


“Well...um, do you mind getting there at around seven? I have a late meeting & I won’t be able to make it home first before going to the party. I can meet you at the front entrance of the restaurant.”


“Fine.”

 

Jaejoong glared at the dead phone. He wondered what’s gotten in her? His intercom buzzed, announcing the arrival of his next appointment & he conveniently forgot about his uneasy feeling.

 

“Hello, Mrs. Kim. Why are you standing outside the restaurant? Come on in, no one is going to eat you.” Changmin teased.


“Call me Yuri please. I was waiting for Jaejoong.” Yuri had been standing outside the restaurant for more than half an hour, waiting for her husband.

 

Changmin looked at his burberry large check stamped bracelet watch, “It seemed like he’s running late. I don’t think he had mind that you go ahead & enjoy the party while you are waiting.”


“Really, that’s okay. Besides.” Yuri smiled charmingly, “I don’t know anyone else at the party.”

 

“Well, that can be easily taken care of.” Changmin offered his arm gallantly. Yuri laughed as she took it. She was done waiting for Jaejoong for the night.

 

They took a couple of steps & Yuri tripped on a piece of carpet that was sticking up. Changmin instinctively grabbed her around the waist to keep her from falling flat on her face, “Are you okay?”

 

“Yes, thank you. That was very clumsy of me.” A flustered Yuri answered.

 

Changmin had tried to stop himself from looking too closely at Jaejoong’s wife but this time, he couldn’t help himself. She just looked too adorable & her near stumble told him pretty much the whole story. Yuri was pregnant even before her wedding & that was probably the only reason why her & Jaejoong were married, “Hey, Changmin. I’m sorry I’m late.” Jaejoong rushed in.

 

“I think you had better apologized to your wife first!” Changmin was fuming. How could this idiot just ignore his wife?! He lifted Yuri’s hand & sweetly kissed it. He threw a look of challenge at Jaejoong & said, “See you later. I have to take care of my other guests.”

 

Jaejoong wondered what just happened & what’s up with Changmin kissing his wife’s hand, “I’m sorry about running late. The meeting went on longer than I thought it would.”

 

Yuri smiled at Jaejoong, forgetting about what just happened with Changmin, “It’s okay. Let’s go inside.” “Oppa, do you have to go out again, tonight?” Yuri was hoping that they could have some quality time together since they haven’t had one ever since one month ago & it was during Changmin’s party.

 

“I’m sorry Yuri, but I can’t so don’t wait up for me, it’s going to be another late night.”


“Well, don’t let the door hit you on your way out!” Yuri angrily muttered. Why does she even bother trying? As far as Jaejoong was concerned, business always comes first. It never mattered that she might need his company once in a while. If she didn’t know that her husband was such a workaholic, she would say that he was having an affair with someone.

 

When the phone rang, Yuri checked the caller id & answered it with a smile.


“Hello, Changmin Oppa, what’s up?” At least here’s someone who appreciated her. Her & Changmin had become good friends since the party.


“Hi, Yuri. Nothing much, was just wondering what you were doing. Is your husband out again?”

 

Yuri blushed, “He had some work to finish.”

 

Changmin had suspected that there was something wrong with Yuri’s marriage & now, especially after becoming closer to her, he knew for sure that something was amiss. Once again, he wished that he had met Yuri before Jaejoong did but all he could offer now was his friendship & companionship, “I guess it’s going to be another late nighter for him. Listen, I rented a couple of movies, if you have got nothing planned, maybe I can come over & we can watch them together.” Changmin offered.

 

Yuri only hesitated for a second, ‘It sure beats another night of sitting around & doing nothing. Besides, it’s not like anything could happen.’ She thought, as she rubbed her large tummy tenderly, “That’s so sweet of you Oppa, come on over & I will fix us some popcorn.”

 

Yuri & Changmin were laughing over a scene when the front door opened.

 

“Jaejoong. What are you doing home so early?” Yuri was still smiling over the funny scene.

 

Jaejoong was surprised to see Changmin sitting in his living room; he looked at them suspiciously & then gave the couple a murderous stare. What was going on here?


“Hi Jaejoong, I got a couple of movies & just thought to keep your wife company while you are busy at work.” Changmin hastily explained, “You know it’s not good for a pregnant lady to be all alone for long periods of time.”

 

Jaejoong closed his hazel brown, almond-shaped eyes. He was just too damned tired to deal with anything else right now! “I have got a headache. I’m going to bed.” With those parting words, Jaejoong rudely left them.

 

“I think I had better go.” Changmin said regretfully, “I’m sorry if I caused any trouble.”


“Don’t be ridiculous.” Yuri reassured him, “Jaejoong’s not feeling well or else he wouldn’t be home this early. Thank you for keeping me company.”