Second Chance

Second Chance

Chapter 1

 

“Hello, Jaejoong Oppa?”


“Who is this?” Jaejoong mumbled sleepily.


“It’s me, Yuri.”

 

“Yuri?”


“Yes, do you remember me?” A period of uncomfortable silence settled between the two while full consciousness started to slowly seep into Jaejoong’s sleep-clogged brain.


“Of course, I do. How have you been?” Jaejoong finally answered in a cheerful, yet quizzical tone. As if he could ever forget her. Although, it’s been...well, over two months since they last saw each other, the mutual experience that they shared was unforgettable.


“I’m glad that you still remember me. Could we meet somewhere? I need to talk to you.” Yuri said in a rush. Jaejoong frowned & thought, ‘Why the sudden phone call? What is she up to?’ Then loudly he said, “Sure, that’s fine. How about we meet for lunch at Jung Sik Dang, do you know where it’s at?”


“Yes, I will meet you there at noon.”

 

Jaejoong was thinking about Yuri while he was driving towards the restaurant. He wondered what she wanted to talk about since it sounded really urgent. It wasn’t as if they have ever been confiding buddies. As a matter of fact, their relationship could easily be termed as nothing more than casual acquaintances. Except for that one night, that one memorable night when they had a chance meeting at a bar.

 

Jaejoong snapped out of his reverie once he noticed the familiar surroundings of his destination. He parked his black audi r8 & was heading towards the restaurant when he spotted Yuri waiting impatiently by the front door.

 

“Hi, Yuri. How are you?” His smile of greeting vanished rapidly as he got close enough to notice her appearance. She was wearing a pair of dark glasses & looking extremely pale.


“As good as I can be under the circumstances.” Yuri gave him a tight smile.

 

Jaejoong’s thick eyebrow lifted. Based on the sound of her voice, something was very wrong. Alarms were going off in his head, telling him to disappear before he got involved with whatever Yuri’s problem was but he just couldn’t leave her standing there, “Want to go inside before the rest of the lunch crowd arrives?” He forced himself to ask politely.


“Oppa.” Yuri held onto his arm as he started moving forward, “I was wondering if we could just go to the park across the street, unless of course, you are really hungry. I know that I won’t be able to eat a single bite.” He hesitated. Jaejoong wanted to back out of talking with Yuri, instinctively sensing that this was a situation he could do without. However, curiosity got the better of him. He nodded & they headed towards an empty bench at the park.

 

Not a single word was uttered; both just sat there, staring mindlessly at a bunch of kids torturing some poor birds. Finally, Jaejoong couldn’t stand it anymore & started the conversation, “Yuri, what did you want to talk about?”

 

Different thoughts flashed through Yuri’s mind. Where should she start? What words could she use? How to say? “I’m pregnant.” She finally blurted it out.

 

Jaejoong had tried to guess what it was that Yuri wanted to talk about but never in a million years would he have thought of what she just casually revealed. He was to say the least, stunned. Why was she telling him this? What has this got to do with him? “Congratulations.” He offered hesitantly. He took a good look at Yuri, “Have you told the father yet?” Suddenly, unbidden memories came flooding back. That night, after leaving the bar. Was she implying that? He started shaking his head in denial before Yuri even had a chance to respond. Yuri bit on her plump lips to stop them from quivering, hoping that she was making the right decision. She took in a deep breath & finally got the matter out of her chest, “I’m telling him right now.”

 

“What are you talking about?!” Jaejoong roared defensively, “Why are you pinning this one on me?! How would I even know if the baby is really mine?! We haven’t seen each other for months, for all I know, you could have been knocked up by someone else & is now looking for an easy victim!”

 

Yuri felt the tears that she had been bravely holding slip down her oval-shaped face. She had been expecting various reactions from Jaejoong but not this, never this.


“Is it money you want?” Jaejoong added cruelly.

 

Yuri furiously stood up & slapped Jaejoong across the face, hard, for insulting her, “Are you implying that I sleep around? You are the only man I have ever been intimate with. You know what? Forget about this conversation, I will deal with this on my own.” With those parting words, she ran as fast as she could, away from the father of her baby.

 

Hours went by & Jaejoong vaguely noticed the orange hue signaling that the day was about to end. He had been sitting, with his head hung dejectedly between his knees, at the same bench since Yuri left, his world suddenly immersed in turmoil. He was still reeling in reaction to what Yuri told him. Again, he absentmindedly touch his oval-shaped face where Yuri had slapped him.

 

Over & over, his mind kept on wandering back to that fateful night at the bar.

 

*Flashback*

 

“Hyukjae, how about another shot of soju here?” Jaejoong waved the bartender down. He’s been drinking nonstop for hours now, wanting nothing more than to submerge all thoughts of his treacherous girlfriend in an alcohol-induced oblivion.


“Leave me alone!” The sound a girls’ angry shout pierced through his foggy mind. Jaejoong might be drunk as a skunk but he still knew when to come to a lady’s aid. After getting rid of the pests, he approached the girl to make sure she was alright.


“Hi, I’m Kim Jaejoong. Don’t worry, those fools won’t bother you anymore.”


“Hey, I know you.” The girl hiccupped, “You know me, too.” She giggled.

 

Jaejoong tried to make his drunken brain function; he stared blearily at the girl, “Kwon Yuri, right?” He beamed & congratulated himself for remembering.


“Not right, Yuri left or she will be leaving.” Yuri & Jaejoong started laughing uncontrollably. They were both so wasted that everything seemed so funny.


“What brings you here?” Yuri asked, vainly trying to sound sober.


“Caught my girlfriend cheating on me. Broke up with her today.” Then Jaejoong started pounding his chest like Tarzan, “Me free man now.” He laughed some more, “What about you?”

 

“Boyfriend left because I wouldn’t sleep with him. Stupid jerk!” Then she imitated Jaejoong, “Me free woman now & you know what? I can sleep with anyone, anytime I want to. Just not with that stupid jerk!” She grinned wildly.


“Here’s to freedom.” They toasted each other. Then they toasted pretty much everything under the sun & this included any topic their sodden brain could come up with, from their stupid ex’s to the nuclear-proof cockroach! Pretty soon, most people had already left & it was closing time at the bar.

 

“Let me get you a taxi, you can’t drive like this.” Jaejoong offered gallantly, while weaving around at the sidewalk.

 

“As if you can.” Yuri laughed hysterically as she dumped the contents of her white/navy michael kors jet set large snap pocket tote purse on the sidewalk.

 

They both almost fell while attempting to pick everything up, “Tell you what, let’s get one taxi & you can spend the night at my place.” Jaejoong said, while wiggling his eyebrows up & down knowingly.

 

Yuri thought that was a great idea. Jaejoong made her forget, he was fun to be with, he was soothing to her ego. In short, he made her feel good, “Sounds like a plan to me.”

 

After the taxi driver was paid, Jaejoong & Yuri supported each other & somehow made it up to Jaejoong’s apartment, “You can have the guest room.” Jaejoong told Yuri, “Unless.”

 

They both stared deeply into each other’s eyes. A silent consent was given & acknowledged. In slow motion, Jaejoong leaned down & pressed his soft, round, pink plump lips on Yuri’s. It never occurred to either of them that this was wrong. At that moment, being with each other felt so perfect & good. Both of them clung desperately to each other, each burning with desire, each trying to forget the hurt they have been through.

 

An unwelcome ray of sunlight shining on Jaejoong’s face made him grudgingly become aware of a new day. His mouth felt like cotton & his head was pounding like crazy, “I’m never touching another drop of alcohol.” Groaning, he turned away from the bright light & felt a warm body next to him. He sat up abruptly, first in puzzlement & then in panic. His whole body froze in dread when he saw Yuri lying on the bed.

 

Needless to say, it was a very awkward morning for both of them. Without the influence of alcohol, what happened the night before was utterly beyond their comprehension. They were mutually relieved when they finally decided to forget about the previous night & to never see each other again.

 

*End of Flashback*

 

Jaejoong stared around at the now artificially illuminated park. He tiredly turned his face skyward as if mutely praying & begging for help. A baby. A huge responsibility, “What do I do now?”