Of Tragedies and Comedies

Sonata

Yu Min was busy cleaning the second floor early that morning. She had just woken up and was still quite groggy from her 4 four sleep. When it was time to tidy up the master’s bedroom a little bit, Yu Min moved carefully. She slowly opened the door and made her way inside, despite the presence of a seemingly sleeping Seo Joon Soo. Not wanting to wake her master up, she swept as carefully as she could. All the corners of the room were tidied up. Yu Min walked over to the right side of the bed and swept silently. She didn’t see the empty bottle of whisky and accidentally hit it.

“OH MY GOD!” she screamed as she witnessed the bottle fall to the floor. She feared that her master would wake up and reprimand her but surprisingly, he didn’t. He was just sleeping in bed, flat on his stomach with one hand dangling from the bed. Yu Min sighed a deep sigh and said to herself.

“Good thing Mr. Seo is a heavy sleeper.” she didn’t even wonder what the bottles of whisky and the cigarettes were doing in his room when she knew for a fact that Mr. Seo was a very clean and orderly person who would never leave such things in his room. Yu Min just shrugged them off…

Seohyun was still asleep in her room when a loud noise woke her up. That noise was the sound of Yu Min screaming. She bolted out of bed and followed the continuous screams, leading her to the master’s bedroom. In there was Yu Min with her broom, standing with wide open, shocked with what she was seeing.

“Yu Min! What’s going on?!” Seohyun placed her hands frantically on their househelp’s shoulders and scanned the room.

“Your father…dead.” she replied hysterically. Seohyun looked at where Yu Min was pointing and was mortified to find her father lying flat on his stomach with a cigarette in hand. She was also shocked when she noticed the empty bottles of whisky and tequila on his sidetable drawer. Seohyun ran to her father’s side and shook him, hoping that he would wake up.

“Daddy? Daddy!” Seohyun never stopped shaking him until his body was turned over and it was confirmed that he was indeed lifeless. Seohyun was on the verge of breaking down and crying but her mind told her not to and prompted her to think first of what could’ve caused his death. Obviously, alcohol and smoking. Her father was suffering from tuberculosis and external factors as such could kill him. And they did. Seohyun touched her father’s hand and it was as cold as ice.

“Why did you daddy? Why?” Seohyun knelt before her father as she did when her mother passed away. Unlike before wherein she would bawl her eyes out, Seohyun clasped his hand tightly and placed it close to her lips. She muttered a few words of farewell to her father before letting go and staring at him, down on her knees. Seohyun sobbed on her knees with her head down, wanting to clasp her father’s hand once again. It bothered her to this extent that she didn’t have parents anymore. But what bothered her even more was the fact that she was still kneeling before him doing nothing when she should be alerting authorities about his death.

It’s high time that I do something right. I’m 18 years old and alone. I can’t play stupid anymore. Seohyun got up and told Yu Min to alert the other maids and butlers that a death had occurred in the house.

“I’m going to get the paramedics.” Seohyun ran for the phone and dialled the number of the meds.

“Hello. Yes, I’m calling from the mansion of tycoon Seo Joon Soo. This is is daughter Seo Joo Hyun. My father died of complications due to smoking and alcohol. We found him dead just this morning. Can you please come immediately.” Seohyun begged emotionally. The paramedics hung up and quickly made their way to the mansion of the Seo’s. Seohyun and the rest of the household waited impatiently for them to come and when they finally did, they directed them to the body of Joon Soo which was still in his room. The paramedics examined this while Seohyun just stared at it, lifelessly.

After this early morning ordeal, a confirmation was sent all across Korea. One of its most powerful tycoons passed away a few days short of his wife’s passing. With the owner of Korea’s most powerful steel company dead due to tuberculosis complications triggered by heavy smoking and alcohol intake, what would be the future of the company?

Being an heiress, all the responsibility would fall to Seohyun. Yes, the innocent 18 year old daughter of the tycoon was now expected by many to run the company and manage the incomes. And at this young age, with her still schooling, what did she know about business? All Seohyun knew was that at this moment in time, she was the owner of the steel company. Life just got more complicated for her.

As if that wasn’t complicated enough, she was reminded of the wedding between her and Yonghwa that was to take place. Surely his parents had heard of her parents death so she presented herself before them. The 18 year old tycoon showed up at their doorstep, about to ring the doorbell. When she did, it was their butler who answered.

“Ah, Ms. Seo Joo Hyun. The now-tycoon of the Seo Steel Works. How may I help you?”

“I’m here to visit the family. Apparently I have an appointment with the family and their son, Yonghwa.”

“Ah yes! You’re the one who is going to marry him. Well then, let me just get them for you. Why don’t you come in for a while.” the butler opened the gates to their house and let Seohyun in. Seohyun had never been to their house before and to her it was stunning. Everything was marble and the structure was huge. The butler called for the family.

“Mr. Jung and family, you have a guest.” the family came down the stairs and saw Seohyun eyeing the details of the painting hanging on the wall. They watched her and waited for the curious young girl to turn around. Won Hyuk couldn’t wait any longer for Seohyun so he had to catch her attention.

“Fancy our house, young lady?” Seohyun heard this familiar fatherly voice and whipped around. Won Hyuk’s smile together with Min Sung and Yonghwa’s greeted her. Seohyun smiled back and bowed down.

“Yes.” Seohyun said. “It is very nice.”

“Wonder isn’t it?” Won Hyuk and his family made their way down the stairs and led Seohyun to the reception room. They sat on the couches and discussed the wedding.

“Our condolences, by the way.” Won Hyuk said before opening the topic of marriage. Seohyun nodded her head and silently accepted the condolence through this gesture.

“Now for our main agenda, your wedding with our son.” said Min Sung with a bright and proud beam on her face. Seohyun was still feeling the effects of her father’s death but showed a beautiful smile nonetheless. “Yonghwa, our son, would like to ask for your hand in marriage. “ Yonghwa smirked and winked at Seohyun, gestures she found annoying and rude but for her mother, she bottled all her emotions in.

“What has Yonghwa to offer?” she asked with dignity like a true woman. She could really feel the tycoon spirit with the way she spoke.

“Well I can give you unconditional love, lots of riches, fame, and well let’s just say…whatever you want?!” Yonghwa bragged. His parents smiled along with him and Seohyun gave him a cheerful beam though she was disgusted as hell inside. No way would she want a man like him. No way would she want a man at all.

“He doesn’t seem convincing to me.” Seohyun said.

“He doesn’t?” asked Won Hyuk in shock and worry.

“No.” Seohyun said. “He has to prove it to me.”

“How shall I prove this to you?” Yonghwa raised his eyebrows repeatedly, further annoying Seohyun.

“Prove to me when we are married.” she said. “I do accept this man.” Seohyun was true to her promise to her mother and father before they passed away. She was doing this for them. She was doing this for them.

“I knew it!” Yonghwa clenched his fists in excitement. His face was beaming with pride and excitement. Finally he got Seohyun to say yes to him.

“I knew it would all come down to this. No woman can resist my charms.” he rubbed his chin and ran a hand through his hair. Seohyun blinked indifferently at his airheadness and just shrugged it off with a simple nod.

“I have fallen in love with you. You are too sweet. You are more than just a man.” Seohyun faked her emotions.

“Alright then. Let us plan the wedding as early as now. We don’t want things to mess up when the day comes.”

“When are we getting married, mother?” Yonghwa mimicked Seohyun’s prim and proper manner of speaking, automatically pissing her off.

“Maybe a few months from now? I don’t think any time this month is a good time to get married, with the tragedies in Seohyun’s life and all.” Seohyun furrowed her brows at Min Sung’s mention of tragedies. It burdened her heart even more.

“I think that is a good idea.” Seohyun agreed. “But we have to plan ahead of time.” she said.

“We shall plan at dinner time.” Won Hyuk said. He told the family to get ready for dinner.

[LATER AT DINNER TIME]

Seohyun had an extra dress prepared especially for her by Min Sung. During one of their conversations, Seohyun had told Min Sung how much she fancied black dresses and if she wasn’t mistaken, she had revealed this through Yonghwa during one of their phone talks and secret meetings. Min Sung prepared a beautiful black dress for Seohyun. The black dress was a simple sleeveless number that was tight around the waist and had a petticoat, making it spread out. Seohyun tried it on and was amused at how perfectly it fit.

“We aren’t even married and yet you’re showering me gifts. I think it’s too much.” said the humble young woman.

“Oh anything for our daughter in law to be. Besides, you’re the owner of the Seo Steel Works Company now! It’s a cause for celebration.” Seohyun’s smile disappeared as she remembered her father’s death. To her, being the new owner was no happy moment. Seohyun nonetheless loved the dress and slowly slipped it on, making sure that she wouldn’t rip it apart or overstretch it. She was surprised at how perfectly it fit her. Min Sung looked at her future daughter in law and marveled with awe. Seohyun was absolutely perfect as some tabloids described her. But there was something missing. Her hair. Seohyun’s hair was still the wavy mess it was when she first came. No problem, though. Min Sung knew how to fix it.

“Sit down my dear. Your hair is a mess.” Seohyun looked into the mirror and saw her hair. Indeed it was messy so she sat down and let Min Sung do the magic. Min Sung ran a hand through Seohyun’s soft, naturally brown, hair which had never been treated before. It gave Min Sung a certain comfort, making her feel as if she had a daughter.

“What would you like me to do on your hair?” asked Min Sung sweetly and willingly. Seohyun smiled at her, seemingly fond of the dear old lady and said,

“It’s up to you. You’re the expert here.” she said. Min Sung smiled delightfully at her and caressed her hair once more. Seohyun herself enjoyed the feel of caressing her hair. It made her feel young and loved, feelings that her mother never let her have.

“I’d be glad to do some magic to your hair.” Min Sung gave Seohyun that caress that she loved so much. It relaxed her, took her away from the pressures of the world. Made her feel special the way her mother never did. Somehow, to Seohyun, Min Sung was starting to become a mother.

Except for the fact that Min Sung wasn’t Seohyun’s mother. And Seohyun still missed her mother.

Min Sung finished off Seohyun’s hair. It was a beehive hairstyle with a tiara to compliment her do. Seohyun was greatly pleased at this. So pleased that she couldn’t help but touch it.

“It’s so beautiful. Thank you so much.” she marveled, touching the hairdo once more. Min Sung was flattered to hear that Seohyun liked it. “How were you able to come up with something like this?”
“I studied fashion design and hairdressing.” Min Sung said. She leaned in and whispered, “It’s my specialty.” She winked at Seohyun and returned the brush.

“For the first time I feel beautiful!” Seohyun twirled around, watching the petticoat skirt go up in the air. Min Sung was thrilled at how childlike and innocent this young lady was. She was different from all the other heiresses she knew. Seohyun wasn’t stuck up and extravagant like them. Seohyun was pure and simple and ebcause of this, her beauty shone even more.

“Well I’ll just get ready and we’ll all have dinner together. In the meantime, enjoy yourself. Bask in your beauty. The maid will call you if it‘s dinner time.” Min Sung winked at Seohyun and left her in the room, all by herself. Seohyun indeed marveled over and over again on how beautiful she looked that night. She in fact couldn’t wait to see how Yonghwa would look.

Min Sung ran into one of her maids and pulled her in.

“Call Seohyun in late. We want her to have the special entrance.” Min Sung told the maid. The maid nodded as Min Sung made her way to her room to get ready.

[AT THE DINNER TABLE]

Min Sung, Won Hyuk, and Yonghwa were already at the dinner table, waiting for Seohyun. Seohyun had no idea that she was going to be the guest of the night. While she was tinkering through the dresser, she heard a knock on her door.

“Come in!” she said as she used some of Min Sung’s perfume. The door opened and in peered the maid.

“Your presence is being requested at the dinner table.” Seohyun leapt up and bowed at the maid.

“Thank you.” she left the huge dressing room and slowly made her way down the huge and long flight of stairs. Her black pumps made a distinct, regal sound and her dress swayed with her every move. Won Hyuk, Min Sung, and Yonghwa heard these slow steps and looked back. To their astonishment, a beautiful young creature was making her way down the stairs. Yonghwa felt compelled to fetch his bride to be from the steps and lead her to the dinner table. He did just that. The gallant young heir sprang from his place and ran to her side. Seohyun was surprised by his gentlemanly gesture and took his hand.

“Shall I walk you to the table?” Yonghwa offered. Seohyun nodded and together they made their way to the banquet. Mother and Father watched proudly as their son showed another side of him that they normally didn’t see. Yonghwa and Seohyunr eached the dinner table and Yonghwa even pulled the chair for Seohyun. Seohyun sat down and together with the family, said the grace. After the short grace, the family began to eat. The food was lavish and in excess. Traditional Korean food, that is. The Jungs were surprised at how small and slow Seohyun ate, commented on it by saying that she ate like a true lady.

“Now we shall discuss the wedding!” Won Hyuk brought this up. Seohyun looked up at him and immediately felt down. She didn’t want it to come to this but thinking about her mother, she persisted.

“I think it’s best if we have the wedding next month.” Seohyun spoke up. Yonghwa smiled at her enthusiasm. Seohyun faked a smile back.

“Yes, I agree with her. I know that she’s been through a lot lately and we should give her time to heal.” Yonghwa said. He drank some red wine, greatly offending Seohyun who doesn’t drink at all.

“Well I’m just glad that my son is getting married to a wonderful young lady right here.” Won Hyuk elbowed Yonghwa. “I knew you had it in you, Yonghwa. I knew you knew how to work it with the girls.”

“Of course father. I think I’m an expert when it comes to that.” Yonghwa smirked. Seohyun couldn’t bear it any longer. Yonghwa was making this thing look like a joke or worse, a one night stand. An excuse to have with a girl. Though Seohyun didn’t really like the idea of her getting married, she still thought that marriage was a sacred vow and to have a guy smirk it around and brag about it like that made her wanted to puke before them.

“But definitely,” Seohyun opened right after swallowing a small piece of meat. “I will be marrying him. Nothing is more important to me than my relationship with Yonghwa.” Saying those words made her want to puke. But it was for her parents. She was willing to do it.

“I honestly cannot wait!” Yonghwa said. “Seohyun would make the perfect bride.” he touched her hand which was resting on the table, making her feel awkward. Seohyun wanted to pull away but there was an image that she was trying to display so she couldn’t do that.

Whil eating dinner, the family and Seohyun chatted about the upcoming wedding and other affairs, most of which concerning their relationship. Won Hyuk and Min Sung just wouldn’t stop asking. And it continued when the househelps were invited to dine with the family.

“So how did you two meet?”
“How long have you two been together?”

“Yonghwa, what’s it like dating a rich, beautiful heiress.”

“Seems to be a change in taste.”

All the questions and comments that were being thrown at them were driving Seohyun insane. It was hard pretending to love someone, though she had to admit she had a bit of a crush thing going on for Yonghwa but it was still hard. She wasn’t ready for the sacrifices and pressures of marriage. She didn’t even love Yonghwa enough, let alone admired him enough that she could marry him! The talk was so awkward for the young maiden that she had to excuse herself from the dining table.

“Excuse me, but I think I’d like to go out for a breath of fresh air.” she said. Seohyun stood up and pushed herself away from the table, running for the door to the backyard. The Jung’s national park-like backyard. The family paid no mind to her and even continued talking and laughing about their relationship as she ran to the backyard. Seohyun pushed the door open and ran out to the backyard. The Jungs’ backyard was huge. There was a fountain, benches, vines and all sorts of beautiful things that only the Garden of Eden would have. There, Seohyun sat at the fountaina nd contemplated on her decisions.

Mother, I’m doing this for you. It may be uncomfortable for me but because of my love, I am willing to put up with it all for you. I am sorry for not being able to live up to your standards…I shall try to follow in your footsteps. Seohyun remained in the garden and frolicked around, throwing some of the coins she had in a small coin bag in it. She marveled at the statues and picked some flowers. While sitting on the bench and colelcting her thoughts, she began to analyze her feelings for Yonghwa.

I don’t exactly love him but I like him. I really like him now. He seems nice. And is very handsome. He may be a jerk but I know there’s a lot of good in him to love. He’s the kind of guy that pisses you off at first but grows on you as you spend more time together…

Seohyun blushed and smiled to herself as she was playing with the orchids hanging from the posts. The thought of her and Yonghwa being married tickled her. Then it hit her.

I think I love him already. Kinda fast, but I think I really do.

All of a sudden, while Seohyun was lost in her thoughts, the door opened and out came Yonghwa. Seohyun looked up and blushed as their eyes met. Yonghwa sat next to her and asked her why she walked out of the dinner table.

“What happened to you? Why the sudden leave?” asked Yonghwa, seemingly putting his arm around her whereas he just put it on her side of the chair. Seohyun noticed this gesture and grew hot and blushed.

“The way they were talking about our relationship was very awkward. I want this thing to be just between the two of us.”

“You mean you don’t want others to know about us?” Yonghwa asked sadly.

“It’s not that.” Seohyun said. Yonghwa leaned in closer, close enough that he could kiss her.Seohyun felt a combination of pleasure and fear. Part of her wanted to move farther but part of her wanted him to come closer. Yonghwa looked so handsome before her.

“What is it then?”

“It’s just that, I don’t want them to make a big fuss out of us. I want them to respect us and not like, talk about us 90% of the time. It makes me feel uncomfortable. It’s enough for me that they know we’re together.” Seohyun was speaking from the heart, meaning she really loved him. Yonghwa reached for the orchid, plucked it and put it in her hair. Seohyun was shocked but willingly accepted this gesture of admiration.

“You are honestly the most beautiful woman I know right now.” Yonghwa confessed to her. The serene atmosphere of the garden made this so romantic. Seohyun blushed. So many guys had told her this before but none of them made her feel quite the way Yonghwa was making her feel right now. Yonghwa was something else…something real.

“Thank you. Just so you know, you’re all I see right now.” Seohyun smiled. Yonghwa’s handsome face was just above her and if she were only wild enough, she’d grab his cheeks and pull him closer to her for a kiss. But she didn’t have to do that. Yonghwa the playboy knew all the moves and waited for a little while. When he saw that there was an opportunity to steal a smooch from the most beautiful young tycoon in Korea right now.

“I think you’re beautiful.” Yonghwa said. “No matter how you look.” Seohyun could melt at these words. Yonghwa pointed at something far away.

“What’s that?” Seohyun was easy to fool and looked.

“Where?” Yonghwa leaned forward and gave her a kiss on the cheek. This made Seohyun blush and smile. If this had happened earlier, Seohyun would’ve felt awkward and left and cried but this time it was different. Seohyun could confirm that she was really in love. Why? She didn’t fight the urge. He kissed her and she just let it be. Seohyun was on cloud nine.

“It’s getting cold.” she said in a daze. She didn’t know what was going on around her but all she knew was that she was in love with Yonghwa. What started out as something that was only for her mother turned out to be something even better.

“Want to go inside now?” Seohyun nodded. Yonghwa stood up and extended his hand. Seohyun took it and stood up, walking with him to the door leading to the inside of the house.

Seohyun was very innocent and didn’t know what his plan was. If only she knew, she wouldn’t fall so hard.