Kyuhyun

Sonata

 

“What’s your story? How’d you come to be my brother?” asked the innocent young lady. Kyuhyun exhaled deeply and began to speak.
 
“Joon Soo and Myung Jib were married for 20 years. All this time, Myung Jib thought that Joon Soo was loyal to her but what she didn’t know was that he engaged in secret and parties involving women. One of those women that he got involved with was Cho Jae Ri, my mother. Perhaps out of all the es that he was with, this was the one he loved truly or at least stayed the longest with. After several secret meetings with her, Jae Ri bore me but afraid that it would shame him and his company, he paid Jae Ri a huge amount of money to keep shut and forever banished her from his life, me included.” Seohyun felt bad and worried at his story. It was touching and hurtful all at the same time.
 
“And then? What happened to you after that?”
 
“It was a hard life. It was hard watching my mother sell her body to stranger after stranger. Watching your father rise to the top and earn bags and bags of cash while we, me in particular, his own flesh and blood, suffered. You ate banquets while we barely ate 3 square meals a day. It made us feel bitter and angry but we couldn’t do anything. We had to keep our mouths shut. We were facing the biggest man in Korea.” Seohyun teared up at his story. It was indeed very compelling and tragic. She had no idea that on the other side of the world, she had a brother who was older than her.
 
“But your pictures? How did they-”
 
“Your father would secretly meet up with us. He didn’t totally obliterate us from his life. He made sure that we still saw him and he still kept up with us. We attended secret get togethers with our relatives and him. He did it for me. He wanted me to feel like I had a father though I never fully had one. Those pictures, he kept in the secret compartment. I don’t know how you managed to have debunked them.” 
 
“I was in the muisc room. rummaging through the things in the cabinet.” Seohyun humbly said. “I found it in the hidden corners of the room.” 
 
“He  never told you about me. About mother.” Kyuhyun said sadly. 
 
“No. I was quite shocked myself to find out about it.” Seohyun shook her head. 
 
“Daddy has been keeping us a secret from you guys. I’m just happy you found out.” Kyuhyun said with a small smile. “At least you know that you have a brother.”
“I’m glad to hear that I’m not alone.” Seohyun cradled herself in her arms. Kyuhyun noticed her small, pitiful, and sickly frame and as a brother, held her tight. 
 
“Why? Do you feel alone?” he asked, removing his arms from her as soon as possible. 
 
“I have been feeling alone since my brother died. I never really got the chance to know him because he died when I was a very young girl. My parents were very…well I wouldn’t say abusive but they were quite strict. They had guidelines and controlled my every movement. There was a rule for everything. I wasn’t allowed to do this, I wasn’t allowed to do that. In short, I lived a very seculded life.” Seohyun narrated sadly. “My life with them wasn’t as grand as the media made it appear. Wasn’t as grand as the people thought it was.” 
 
“What did they do to you?” Seohyun cried when she thought of the times that her parents punished her for the slightest infraction of their rules. It brought tears to her beautiful brown eyes.
 
“They’d whip me…” Seohyun sobbed. “And pull my hair, drag me down on the floor til I was all bruised.” Kyuhyun sympathized with her. He too had a hard life. He too had to live in sadness.
 
“Worst part of it is, I’m sick.” Seohyun sobbed. 
 
“Sick? With what?”
 
“Multiple sclerosis. They drag me around and beat me even if I have a disease.” 
 
“You must be really troubled. Did you ever think of running away?” asked Kyuhyun. Seohyun let her tears drip down as she shook her head.
 
“No. I love them too much. So much that even at their last breaths I was there, professing my love for them. I guess I am a martyr after all.”
 
“Why?”
 
“I have this bad habit of loving people and caring for them though I mean nothing to them. I just care so much about others and their wellbeing that I tend to forget my own.” Seohyun confessed. “But now, who do I have left to love?”
 
“Don’t you have friends?” asked Kyuhyun.
 
“I don’t have any. I do but they don’t really care to talk to me at all when we’re out of school.”
 
“You’re married, right?”
 
“Yes.” Seohyun said. “But it isn’t a marriage with love. I was forced by my parents to marry Jung Yonghwa. I was never really going to marry him.”
 
“Were you in love with somebody else?”
 
“I wanted to consecrate my body. I wanted to give up all my riches and become  anun but my father was enraged upon learning about this decision. My mother was equally angered. I planned on becoming a until I die and I want to keep it that way.”
 
“But that’s impossible now that you’re married. Especially to Jung Yonghwa. He’s a maniac! He has power over the women he meets!”
 
“I have willpower.” Seohyun said. “I may not be strong physically and emotionally but I still have a bit of strength left in me to resist. I will remain pure until my dying day.” Seohyun vowed.
 
“I admire you for making that vow. Not many girls nowadays can say that.” Kyuhyun said in admiration.
 
“Count me out. I’m different from those girls of which you speak.” Seohyun spoke in an elegant manner. Kyuhyun saw the piano and eyed the notebook that was on top of it. He reckoned that it was a sketchpad and asked Seohyun if he could borrow it.
 
“That notebook over there seems interesting. Mind if I borrow it?” asked Kyuhyun. Seohyun nodded. Kyuhyun stood up and took his younger sister’s notebook or sketchpad and sat down next to her. He flipped the pages and saw her beautiful drawings. Every page was filled with sketches that could only be produced by the hands of a true artist.
 
“You are such a good sketcher.” he complimented her. “I kinda saw it fromt eh start.”
 
“Really?” Seohyun said. “You think that I’m good.”
 
“Yes. Judging by these drawings, you are a talented artist!”
 
“Thank you. It’s an escape from all the harshness in life.” Seohyun said emotionally. Kyuhyun placed an arm around his half-sister and embraced her, hoping that this small gesture would give her some comfort.
 
“Harshness. Yes, it’s all around us. But we’ve got to be brave sometimes.” All of a sudden, they heard a car parking outisde of the house. Kyuhyun hurriedly stood up and bade goodbye to Seohyun. Seohyun sent him out through the back door.
 
“I’ll see you again next time.” Seohyun said as she watched her brother run out of their house through the  backyard. Seohyun hurriedly closed the door and in the nick of time, Yonghwa entered the house.
 
“How long have you  been here?”
 
“Since this morning.” replied Seohyun as she helped him with this things.
 
“Good. You better get used to the sedentary and secluded life because I have news for you!” Yonghwa said as he loosened his tie. Seohyun was still fixing his things when she shot an eye at him. 
 
“I am used to this life. I’ve been separated from the world for 18 years. What do you think?” Yonghwa’s temper went slightly up when she used a rebellious tone at him. He wanted to smack her with his briefcase but retained his calmness, keeping in mind that he still had something important to tell her.
 
“Well, I have something important to tell you. Come to the kitchen with  me for some wine.” he said. 
 
“I don’t drink.” It annoyed Yonghwa to hear that Seohyun was starting to rebel and not follow him so in order to get her to submit, he shot an evil eye at her and this was enough to scare the fair maiden of 18 into submission. The docile Seohyun looked down to avoid his gaze and said,
 
“But I will drink for you.” was her submissive reply. It was against her will, but it was better than being beaten up til she was blue. Seohyun and Yonghwa sat down across each other at the dining room with glasses of red wine. Yonghwa took a sip and noticed that Seohyun wasn’t even touching her glass. Ignoring this, he proceeded with the important news he had.
 
“I know that you are only 18 years old and you have no expertise in the field of entrepeneurship and business so me, my father, and all our other men have made a decision. We are going to buy your company and run it.” 
 
“What?” Seohyun’s face crumpled a bit upon hearing this. Was he really going to buy the company, take it away from her? 
 
 
 
“You heard it. I am buying that company. Your company. I believe that we can run it better and business would flourish with us. Take it from me and my advisers. We’re business and finance experts.” Yonghwa was a business expert. Even at a young age, he knew a lot about money and running an establishment as he was mentored by his father and graduated from a prestigious business-oriented school, therefore making him very knowledgable in this field. 
 
Seohyun thought of her decision. After all, she was the owner of the company and it was up to her if she was going to turn it over to her husband and his men. She did some thinking and came to the conclusion that she, an 18 year old college student who was still very demure and innocent, one who didn’t have the guts to control a business and order men around, could not handle a large-scale business that was once so powerful. She couldn’t afford to up all of her family’s hard work. So putting her trust in Yonghwa’s abilities, credentials, and connections, she said,
 
“Yes. I agree that you buy our company. I believe that you have the ability to run this company and make it even better. So I am hereby turning it over to you.You have my permission. Discuss it with your men tomorrow.” Seohyun said. The wine glass, which she barely touched, was grabbed by the neck and sipped straight up. Yonghwa’s eyes widened at how fast she drank the red wine, which wasn’t supposed to be.
 
“I thought yous aid you didn’t drink?” he asked.
 
“I didn’t. Now I do.” Seohyun replied. She got up and headed to her room for some sleep. Yonghwa remained in the dining room, drinking glass after glass of red wine, busy thinking about his plans for the company. 
 
In her room, Seohyun lay on the bed, hugging her pillow with tears in her eyes. She couldn’t believe how she could just let Yonghwa take what the Seo family, starting from her grandfather, had worked so hard to build and nurture. Seohyun knew something about business. She could manage things somehow and she could always get advisers. Her father’s advisers were there! But why did she back out? Why did she surrender to Yonghwa?
 
It’s  not that I’m dumb. It’s just that…I’m scared. Seohyun clutched the pillow tightly and sobbed into it. She had never felt this weak in her life. 
 
Kyuhyun…I need you… she called for her brother. 
 
Kyuhyun on the other hand made his way home with his heart and head confused and happy. He was glad to have been finally reunited with his half-sister but confused because of her low self-esteem and seemingly constant fear. Something was bugging her, he thought. She didn’t behave like a normal human being who wne thtoruhg life in a carefree manner. Seohyun seemed afraid and burdened. Kyuhyun wanted to know what that was. 
 
[THE FOLLOWING DAY]
 
Seohyun woke up to find the house empty. Yonghwa had gone and didn’t even leave a trace. Not a note nor a letter was left. Seohyun was all alone once again. She got up and went down to have some breakfast. In her brown cardigan, white racer back and loose pink shorts, the cold breeze was bound to pass through her clothes and onto her skin. Seohyun walked barefooted on the cold mabrle floor of the kitchen to grab something to eat. She opened the fridge and found a plate of rice cakes, the usual once she’d have for breakfast. Seohyun sat down on the sofa and ate. 
 
RING! RING!
 
The phone rang. Seohyun was only a few inches away from it so she picked it up.
 
“Hello?” answered Seohyun.
 
“Seohyun, this is Yonghwa. I’m calling from the office. I just want to clarify if that was your final decision or if you have something else in mind.” asked her stern husband.
 
“Yes. That is my final decision.” Seohyun replied with a voice stiffened by fear.
 
“Great. I knew you would come to your senses. You take care of yourself there and don’t let anybody in. Do what you’re supposed to do.”
 
“My chores?”
 
“Exactly. Take care. I expect dinner when I come home.” Yonghwa hung up. Seohyun just looked at the phone and went back to eating.
 
This isn’t me. This isn’t what I’m supposed to be doing. I’m supposed to be working, doing business. Handling things that adults handle. Instead, I’m here at home sitting like a doll, staring at the wall waiting for someone to tell me to do something. I’m not supposed to be here! The company isn’t supposed to belong to Yonghwa! It’ll be corrupt for sure! I should be running it! I should be! 
 
Seohyun was very angry in her thoughts. Her brain was nearly screaming but it mellowed down at some point, maybe because she just had a sudden realization.
 
But I can’t. And I don’t want to. Because I’m afraid of him. And I love him…
 
He’s a jerk. But I love him and I’m willing to do anything for him.
 
Seohyun felt like tearing up at this sentimental moment in the morning. She put her plate down and proceeded with her chores, promising herself that she would pamper herself right after doing housework. All this time, Seohyun busied herself with cleaning. 
 
Later that day, after doing her chores, Seohyun decided to freshen up for a walk at the park. She headed to shower and took a long, warm one. One that would calm her nerves and make her feel like she was going to get a good massage. That did the trick! After taking a shower, Seohyun felt more relaxed and slipped on a simple floral dress for a short walk. With her hair still wet, Seohyun dried it with the blow dryer and it resotred the natural bounciness and life of her hair. The young maiden made her way down and out of the house, immersing herself in the cool winds and serenity of nature.
 
At the park, Kyuhyun was waiting on the bench, as if he knew that Seohyun was going to come. He seemed more like a suitor waiting for the maiden that he was pursuing rather than a brother but Kyuhyun’s intentions were all brotherly. Finally, his waiting came to an end. Seohyun showed up in her green floral dress with a basket of cakes in her hand. 
 
“Hello. I thought I’d give you some of these.” she showed him the pastries. Kyuhyun smiled and accepted the gifts.
 
“Thanks.” Kyuhyun said. “Sit down, I have something for you, too.” Seohyun sat next to her half-brother and waited for his gift. Kyuhyun fetched something from underneath the bench and showed it to his sister. Seohyun felt delighted at the sight of it.
 
“Why, it’s another musical box!” she said with delight. “Oh it’s wonderful!” Seohyun cradled the small thing in her hands. It was pink, heart-shaped, and had a ballerina inside. It made her tear up in joy.
 
“It’s so beautiful!” she gave Kyuhyun a huge embrace. Kyuhyun returned the embrace and said,
 
“Whenever you feel lonely, play it. You will know that I’m always with you.” Seohyun’s tears fell down upon his words. Kyuhyun felt her sobbing and pulled away.
 
“What’s the matter?” he asked. Seohyun continued to sob.
 
“It’s just that…” she sniffed. “My father gave me gifts as such. And he’d tell me to listen to them whenever I felt sad.” Seohyun was now freely crying in front of Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun took his sister’s hand in his and listened to her sentiments.
 
 
“I guess I would have to play a song forever because I never stop thinking about him.” Seohyun embraced her brother once more. “Every. Single. Day.” 
 
“I know it’s hard for you. But I’m here. I will never leave you.”
 
“Do you promise that?” asked Seohyun. Kyuhyun smiled at her and said,
 
“Yes. I promise. I will never leave your side.” brother and sister shared an emotional hug in the park. 
 
Kyuhyun walked Seohyun to her house that very night and upon reaching the mansion of Jung Yonghwa, he embraced her and kissed her forehead.
 
“Remember, I’m always with you.” he said.
 
“Always?” asked Seohyun.
 
“And forever.” 
 
Kyuhyun let go of her and left. Seohyun watched as her brother disappeared in the dark. Her tears fell like rain once more.
 
Don’t leave me. Please.