A Deal is a Deal

Sonata

Seohyun was sleeping in her hotel room when the sound of her phone ringing woke her up. She sat up and scrambled to grab her phone. The claler ID siad that her mother was calling her and this made her heart beat faster. She knew she had to answer this or she was dead.

 “Hello?” she answered.

 “Where are you?” asked her mother with a voice that had a combination of worry and anger. Seohyuns tarted to feel afraid.

 “I’m here at the Lotus Flower Hotel.” Seohyun replied, repeatedly clutching the keychain hanging from her phone.

 “How? Why are you there? How did you get there?”

 “It’s a long story. I’ll tell you when I get there.” Seohyun, who was still in her baby pink dress, panicked to get out of bed and fix herself in any way she could. She rushed out of the hotel room with her purse and her keys.

 “You better not be pregnant!” her mother warned with gritted teeth.

 “I’m not pregnant. I’m all alone here, as a matter of fact!” Seohyun grunted. She hurriedly tried to catch the elevator that was about to go down. A good stranger held the open button for her and clsoed it as soon as she got in. Seohyun hung up on her mother and ran to the check out counter. It was there where she surrendered her keys and hurriedly made her way outside the hotel.

“Thank you for coming, ma’am.” said the security guard. Seohyun had no time to thank him as a cab was already waiting right outside the hotel. She got in and fished out her money.

“Spring Waters Mansions, please. Thank you.” she said and handed him the money. The taxi driver looked at her from the rearview mirror and instantly recognized her.

“Aren’t you the daughter of Seo Joon Soo?” he asked.

“Yes I am.”

“You’re prettier in person.” the taxi driver said with a smirk, making Seohyun feel uncomfortable.
“Thank you. But can you please drive faster. I’m kinda in a hurry right now.” she just wanted to avoid the awkward and uncomfortable situation with the driver.

“Yes ma’am!” the driver cocked his hat and stepped on the pedal, driving very quickly. It took them 10 minutes to reach. They finally reached the villa and Seohyun hurriedly stepped out of the taxi cab.

“Bye Ms. Seo!” the taxi driver gave her a erted smile and salute which only creeped her out even more. She tried to shake this off as she ran to the house near the gate which was their mansion. Fixing her hair and smartening her dress, she rang the doorbell and waited for her mother to get the door. Seohyun was in a world of fear as she was already expecting a long, loud sermon from her mother. Fortunately, it was Soya who got the door for her.

“Hello Soya.” Seohyun bowed before the maid, a sign that the young heiress was humble.

“Ma’am. Where have you been?”

“I spent the night at a hotel. Where is mom?” she entered the house in search of her mother.

“Your mother…” Soya said with a sad look on her face. “Is very sick.” Seohyun gasped.

“You don’t say! What’s wrong with her?”

“The reason why she has been very irritable lately is because she has cancer. She just didn’t want to let you know because she didn’t want you to feel afraid.” Seohyun felt the tears rattling in her eyes and wanted to see her mother as soon as possible.

“But my mother called me earlier. Just this morning before I left the hotel.” Seohyun insisted in disbelief. “It can’t be!”

“But it is true.” Soya said. Seohyun shook her head and ran up the stairs to check on her. The young heiress came bursting through the door and was mortified when she saw her mother lying weakly in bed, a glass of water on her side desk. The martyr daughter knelt beside her mother and took her hand. Tears streaming from her eyes down to the base of her neck.

“Oh mother. You have kept this from us all this time? All this time you were suffering and you never told us.” Seohyun cluthced her mother’s hand tighter, the flowing of tears becoming more and more uncontrollable. Myung Jib clutched her daughter’s hand on right on her deathbed, asked her daughter for forgiveness.
“Seohyun…I’m very sorry for all the things I’ve done to you. I want you to know that behind this tought exterior, the tough exterior that I’ve been showing you, lies a heart that loves you very, very much and would want nothing but the best and only the best for you.” Seohyun was quick to forgive her mother, with the soft heart that she possessed.

“I forgive you mother. I love you. But please…please don’t leave me. I’m not ready to lose you.” Seohyun sobbed harder. Myung Jib placed a hand on her daughter’s shoulder and tilted her chin.

“I will always be with you. I will always be in your heart. I will watch over you. Forever.” Myung Jib was really weakening and could feel her death nearing. With one last smile at her daughter, she drew her last breath and died in her bed. At this moment, Seohyun wouldn’t and couldn’t stop crying. Even after all the abuse that her mother made her endure, she still had a soft spot in her heart for her mother. Seohyun refused to let go of her mother’s hand and placed it close to her face which was wet with tears.

“Mom! Mom!” Seohyun called and cried over and over. The maids that surrounded her comforted her and embraced her but it did her no good. Seohyun lost her mother, the first woman in her life. The one who taught her all she knew now. She didn’t know how she would go on with her life.

For the remainder of the day, Seohyun remained in a daze. She did everything staring into space. Froms howering to getting into her new clothes to eating. All she did was look at something.

Until her father got home, she remained in this state. Joon Soo was in shock when he heard about how his wife passed away that the first thing he did when he got home was comfort his daughter who was crying.

“Why did mom have to pass away?! Why?” Seohyun cried as more househelpers gathered around the former actress’ dead body.

“Your mother never told you about her cancer.” Joon Soo sobbed. “She didn’t want you to worry about her.”

“But it hurts now.” Seohyun said. She embraced her father who took her into his loving arms and kissed her forehead.

“It would’ve hurt you even more and aggravated you even more if you had found out earlier.” Joon Soo whispered in her hair.


“Still…” Seohyun looked up. “Still…” Joon Soo embraced his daughter even tighter. The pain that Seohyun was feeling because of the loss was really great. “I miss mom already.”

“I know.” Joon Soo said. “In life it happens. We just have to face it bravely.”

“I don’t know if I can even go on without mom.”

“You will learn how to.” Joon Soo kissed her head once again. “Eventually you will.” Seohyun tightened her grasp and refused to let go of her father, fearing that if she did, he would leave her.

What Seohyun didn’t know was that her father was suffering greatly inside. He too was sick and he knew that he was so close to his deathbed. He was closer to it than ever and he feared his own death, to be honest. What he couldn’t bear to accept was the fact that Seohyun was going to have to be on her own. As if it was a horrible twist of fate, Seohyun was going to be on her own and Joon Soo had to face the fact that he was going to have to turn over the company and the riches to his one and only daughter. The frail and fragile Seo Joo Hyun! Joon Soo dreaded this but what he dreaded even more was the fact that Seohyun and Yonghwa still weren’t married and he hadn’t even met Yonghwa for the second time yet.

I trust her. the wealthy, ailing tycoon thought to himself. I know Seohyun can do this. She is a bright young woman. She can run the family business. Joon Soo coughed continuously until he spat blood. Tuberculosis. He suffered from it and had been since. Joon Soo had been keeping it from his advisers, his co-workers, and his family. Reason? Same as Myung Jib. He didn’t want them to worry about him. For Joon Soo, work and family were more important. The stress and grief that his wife’s death brought him took a toll on his health. The once strong and healthy tycoon found himself slowly deteriorating.

[A FEW DAYS LATER]

At the funeral, Seohyun and her father stood with teary eyes and heavy hearts as the casket was to be buried 10 feet below the ground. The handkerchief that Seohyun had with her was the one her mother made for her when she was a little girl. With all their relatives gathered to mourn the loss of a beautiful, talented yet stern actress, Seohyun wept and wept in her father’s arms. Before they could even fully bury her in the ground, Seohyun threw the handkerchief and a pink rose on the coffin and watched as her mother was now officially buried. Seohyun and her father walked back to the car.

The whole drive was silent, mainly because they were still trying to make sense of Myung Jib’s death and were still trying to accept the fact that she was gone. It was hard, namely for Seohyun who at this age was still quite innocent and needed a lot of learning from her mother. Things that her father cannot provide.

“I still can’t believe that mom’s gone.” Seohyun was starting to weep again. Joon Soo tried not to get teary eyed for the sake of his daughter and just held her hand.

“I know it’s hard for you now but you’re gonna have to accept it. You’ll move on sooner or later, I’m sure of it.” Joon Soo smiled. Seohyun looked at him and seemed doubtful.

“I don’t know. When you lose someone you’ve had for almost all your life, moving on is somewhat impossible.” Joon Soo understood his daughter’s sentiments and focused on the road. But what he was really focused on was his impending death. With his frail condition, he knew death wasn’t far away. As a matter of fact, he could die any minute now and Seohyun would be in a world of pain and sorrow once more. Even more than the world she was in right now!

“I have to tell you something.” Joon Soo said grimly.

“What is it?” Seohyun tilted her head and looked at her father. The brown strands of hair falling on her beautiful face. Because of the cold weather, Seohyun was paler than ever and she looked even sicker due to the reddening of her eye circles and her nose.

“I will tell you when we get home.” Seohyun’s heart raced faster and faster. She could tell that it was going to be bad judging by the tone of her father’s voice. They finally arrived home and this was the part where Seohyun felt weak and heavy that she could collapse. It was just a bad feeling she had about what her father was about to say. The two stepped out of the car and into their mansion in a gloomy mood. Seohyun went for the chair and sat down. Joon Soo sat across her.

“What were you going to tell me, father?” asked the innocent heiress, toying with the locket her father gave her for her 15th birthday. It was bronze in color and had intricate designs. Joon Soo noiticed how anxious Seohyun was to find out about his secret so he got straight to the point and said,

“My child, I have tuberculosis.” Seohyun was shocked at this revalation. She dropped the locket and covered , looked on as her father bowed his head and shook it. After grieving for her mother and thinking that it was over, Seohyun wasn’t expecting that she was going to grieve once again. She cried and stood up, knelt before her father and took his hand. Joon Soo looked up, crying in pity for his daughter.

“You have been keeping a secret from me too?” Seohyun bawled her eyes out. “How could you, dad? How could you do this to me?!” Seohyun tightened her grip on her father’s hand, never wanting to let it go. The tears flowed like waterfalls and it became harder for her to breathe.

“What else have you been keeping?” she asked, not giving her father a chance to explain himself.

“I have so many skeletons in my closet. I do not wish to expose them to you.” he said with dignity. “I want you to find out for yourself as you grow. Things cannot always be handed down to you. You must learn to strive on your own. You are about to lose me-” Seohyun tightened her grip on her father’s hand, the tightest she got.

“NO!” she screamed. Her hair was dishevelled and she was paler than ever. “I will not allow this! You aren’t dying, dad! No! You’re not going to die!”

“You are indeed a young child.” Joon Soo placed a hand on his weeping daughter’s head. Seohyun looked up and was hyperventilating. Because of the tension and stress of the situation, Seohyun felt her head throbbing. The seizures were sure to act up again. “We have raised you well.”

Too much crying drained the strength and the life out of Seohyun that she felt herself collapsing, holding on to her father’s hand. At this last moment, knowing that death could take her father away from her any time, she took this opportunity to make a promise to him. Letting go of his hand and sitting on the floor, Seohyun removed the hair from her face and solemnly swore to her father.

“Daddy, in honor of you and Mommy, I will marry Yonghwa.” Seohyun seemed shocked that she was even able to say those words but unlike others who don’t know what they’re saying when shocked or drunk, Seohyun really meant this one. “You and Mother always wanted me to get married to him and in your honor, to respect you, I will marry him.”

“Why? You are now accepting it?” Seohyun nodded her head.

“It is what you and Mom have always wanted. I shall conform to your wishes. I want mom to rest in peace and see that everything she had planned will fall into place. It was her mother’s only wish and Seohyun wanted it to come true.

“Well if that is what you want.” Joon Soo said. “Then so be it. I shall arrange for a meeting between you two once again.”

“Thank you.” Seohyun bowed before her father.

Joon Soo reached for his phone and dialled the number of Won Hyuk. Won Hyuk picked the phone up and wodnered what his great friend wanted at this moment.

“Hello? What can I do for you?”

“My daughter has agreed to marry your son. Arrange a final meeting between the two before the wedding.” Joon Soo said. Won Hyuk’s heart leapt with joy and a smile was instantly painted on his face.

“That is good new to us Jungs. As you know we greatly enjoyed your daughter’s company and it was fun keeping in touch with her. She and Yonghwa have grown to become good friends and they’ve been talking for the psat few days. I am sorry for the loss of your wife by the way. Her soul as well as your well-being are in our prayers.” Won Hyuk sincerely said.

Truth is, since her mother’s death, Seohyun had been turning to Yonghwa for emotional support. For some reason, she took a liking to him though not on that level just yet but she saw him as a pretty good friend. He called her once after their first encounter and they talked. They talked and talked on the phone and he even consoled her when her mother passed away. There wasn’t a doubt in the world that Seohyun would agree to marry him though it was pretty much forced at first. She was starting to feel comfortable with him though she wasn’t completely in love. It was for her mother. But she felt lighter and more comfortable with him now.

“When should the wedding take place?”

“Approximately a week from now. I don’t know if it will be a joyous event. I just want to marry my daughter off before I die.” Joon Soo said. “Death is just around the corner my friend.” his last statement before hanging up creeped Won Hyuk out. Nonetheless, he announced the good news to his family.

“I have great news for you!” he gathered the enitre household. “Seo Joon Soo, my good friend had informed me that Seohyun has agreed to meet with Yonghwa and officiate the marriage.” Yonghwa’s heart leapt at the news. Seohyun was going to marry him! She had agreed to become his wife! The entire Jung household was jumping with joy and howling and yelping. This was a grand time for the heir to the riches of the Jungs! He was now going to get married. And to another rich young woman.

“When is the wedding taking place?” asked the excited Yonghwa. Min Sung had her hands on her son’s shoulders and couldn’t stop hugging him out of sheer happiness.

“Maybe next week or the week after next. Negotiations shall still be made.”


“I don’t care how long this takes.” Yonghwa said with pride. “For as long as I get to marry that girl Seo Joo Hyun, I shall be content.” the entire household applauded the young heir.

Back at the Seo residence, Seohyun was sulking in her room. Sulking. Crying. Weeping. The doors were locked and so were the doors of her heart. She didn’t really want to talk to anyone as of the moment. All she did was write her thoughts down in the diary her father gave her. In her sentiment, she wrote an emotional entry about how it felt to be alone.

I feel as if I was destined to be alone. Everyone I’ve ever loved has left me. It started with my brother. I was too young to realize it then but I cried when they told me he died. At my young age at the time, I was too innocent to know why he had to die or why death even existed if God loves us. It was followed by my grandmother who treated me like a daughter. I don’t know why or how she died either. Then my mother kept her cancer a secret from us for so long. So long. All this time I didn’t know that she was suffering. What was I looking at all this time? Was I that selfish? And now my dad is going to die any time soon and he won’t even be able to walk me down the aisle.

No man is an island, they say. I’m living proof that their theory is wrong. I am alone. Nobody loves me. If I know any better, I’d say Yonghwa doesn’t really love me. I am but a toy. I porcelain doll for his enjoyment.

Goodbye.

Seo. Joo. Hyun.

Seohyun couldn’t take the emotions that were coming out of her while writing. She immediately closed the diary and placed it gently on her sidetable drawer. On that drawer was the ballerina box and the picture frame of the young boy.

Who are you? she asked herself. The picture was still as beautiful as when she first saw it. She the glass as if she was the boy’s seemingly soft face. She doubted that he still looked this young or that he was even this young still. He must be all grown up now, with a family of his own.

But it still aches me to find out who you are. I want to know you. Seohyun said. The vintage phone on the other sidetable drawer rang and Seohyun was sure who the caller was.

“Hello good evening, my bride to be.” Yonghwa flattered. Seohyun felt not the least bit of giddiness in her but still was polite enough to extend the same courtesy.

“Good evening.” she said blandly. “How do you do?”


“I’m doing fine, lady. How about you?” Seohyun thought of opening her heart out to him since this was going to be necessary if they were to get married but she recalled what she had written in her diary and decided not to trust him right away.

“I’m doing alright. I’m coping with my mother’s death quite well.” she lied. She knew that if she showed him any signs of sadness or weakness, he would prey on this and lie to her. Or maybe Seohyun was just being paranoid.

“Are you looking forward to our wedding? Because I am. You have no idea how happy you’ve made me when my father said that you agreed to meet up with me and discuss the wedding before actually getting married!” Yonghwa’s chatter about their wedding was nonstop that Seohyun started getting bored. She took the picture of the young boy and eyed its every single detail, like she would each time she saw it. Seohyun didn’t really care about what Yonghwa had to say about their wedding or them because to her, there would never be any ‘them’. This was out of love for her mother, not for him.

“Yes. That is good. I’m glad that you’re taking this seriously. Just like I am.”

“I’m just glad you’re going to be mine.” Yonghwa flattered over the phone. Seohyun blinked her painful, red eyes and said.

“You know, I’m getting kinda sleepy. I think it would be great if we cut the conversation here and just continue when we finally meet? What do you say?” Seohyun pleaded sweetly, changing the tone of her voice in order to convince him to hung up.

“Alright. Sleep tight, sweetheart. I love you.”

“Goodnight.” Seohyun hung up and felt chills down her spine. She didn’t like the feeling of having a guy say I love you to her. To most girls it was a thrill, to her it was just plain scary.

Seohyun wasn’t actually sleepy. She just didn’t want to talk to him as of the moment. Yes, she treated him as her good friend but right now was a moment for herself. She needed to be alone. The heiress got out of bed and left her room, leaving the door slightly open. The hallway leading to the music room was dark but she could still see her way somehow. Seohyun finally reached her calming area which was the music room. Upon opening the door, the beautiful sight of the grand piano greeted her and at last, she felt peace and comfort. The pretty young lady sat on the bench and lifted the cover, proceeding to play her favorite piece from Sebastian Bach. For an 18 year old, Seohyun had great taste in classical music.

The music room was filled with antique things that the earlier Seos loved to collect. It wasn’t Korean in any way because most of them traveled to the West, thus bringing home these vintage treasures. Seohyun had a passion for all things vintage and thus enjoyed spending time in this room ever since she was a kid. The grandfather clock made that creepy sound it made when it was 12 mn. Though she had encountered that grandfather clock numerous times, its sound still gave her the chills especially when she would hear it from her room.

“Oh! It’s midnight already? I lost track of time!” Seohyun failed to realize that she was way past her bedtime which was 10 o clock and it made her freak out. She left the room and dashed back to her own bedroom, diving under the covers and shutting her eyes. She had no idea what kept her up for so long but good thing once she got in bed, she was able to sleep soundly.

In the other room, Seo Joon Soo was having trouble with himself. He was sitting at the edge of his bed, his head down with his hands on them, rubbing the temples like they were in pain. Joon Soo was having a headache due to thinking too much and because of his tuberculosis. What he thought of were all the mistakes he made and all the secrets he kept from not only the world but from his family as well. His conscience made him feel very guilty that he drank whiskey after whisky after whisky. Joon Soo began to feel dizzy and when drunkeness mixes with guilt, you can tell that something bad’s about to happen.

Something very bad…