Chapter Three: Welcome Home!

Smile, Cry, Laugh, Die

Two years? Already? But still, it’d been an agonizing wait. Finally, he was released from the army. I couldn’t wait to see him again! Ki Bum was excited too. Everything was perfectly peaceful once he’d come back. When Kang In was brought back to the dorm, he barely looked at me. It was like when Ki Bum had come back years before, but Ki Bum had explained that he saved me for last because he wanted to spend the most time with me. Kang In had no right to ignore me. Didn’t he miss me too along with all of the other members? Next to Lee Teuk I probably missed him most.

One day, Lee Teuk came up to me, his face solemn, and maybe a bit scared. Ki Bum seemed a bit uneasy. The other members fidgeted. I realized Kang In wasn’t here. It must be something to do with him. “Chul-ah,” Lee Teuk murmured, “Kang In… He’s upset with you.”

I stood up, furious. “How is me mad with ME?!?! He’s the one who hadn’t said ‘hi’ to me since he came back! And he’s younger! My dongsaeng! And he’s upset with ME?!?!” I exploded.

Everyone, even Lee Teuk, winced at my rage. I stormed into my room and locked myself in. After a few hours, fuming to my cat Heebum, someone knocked on the door. “Who is it?” I yelled out loudly, angrily.

“It’s Lee Teuk, Chul-ah~” The leader’s voice was soft. I didn’t move and continued playing with Heebum. I heard someone trying the door handle. “Hyung… please unlock the door…” It was Ki Bum’s soft voice. I got up slowly and opened the door. Ki Bum and Lee Teuk’s shining eyes gazed at me. I could see Lee Teuk trying to suppress a grin, as well as a small giggle. Ki Bum nudged him in the side and Lee Teuk regained his leader-ness. “Kang in wants to apologize to you,” Lee Teuk said.

“It only took him four hours to apologize?” I asked. Usually it took him days or weeks to get over an argument.

“He has something planned for you in the living room,” Ki Bum added.

Before I could say anything, they dragged me out of the room. I stood in shock as a chorus of “Happy birthday!” hit my ears. The sweet sound of all my members voices, together, as one. I only wished Han Kyung were here too. Wait? It was my birthday? Chinja?! How could I forget? I checked the calendar. It really was my birthday today! Ah~ Hee Chul-ah, you’re getting old. Wait? Did I just say I was getting old? NO! I’m not getting old! How old am I now? ……… I’m getting old~~ TT

There were pink ribbons everywhere. A pink cake, lighted with many candles, sat on the coffee table, all the members around it, holding sparklers underneath the pink banner above their heads that said: “Happy Birthday, our Great Heenim!” Looking at the candles, I felt even older seeing how many there were on the cake.

I cried as I buried my head into Ki Bum’s shoulder. When I glanced up again, Kang In stood in front of me. I hugged him and he hugged me. “Hee Chul-hyung,” he said. “I’m sorry for upsetting you. But I stayed away from you so I wouldn’t ruin the surprise. I was too excited!”

“Hyung understands, Kang In-ah~!” I cried.

Kang in grinned at me, and for the first time since he left, I laughed, out loud, loudly, mirthfully, for no reason at all. Then I felt someone tugging at my sleeve. It was Ryeo Wook. “Hee Chul-hyung,” his cute, high-pitched voice said, “you’re not going to be mad anymore, right?”

I chuckled and ruffled his hair. “Of course not, Wookie,” I said quietly. And that night there was much drinking, celebrating, singing, and laughing. Now… if only Han Kyung were here, I prayed silently.