2/3

Domino Effect

Kwangmin tries to remember everything that he did before at this day and does them all as precise as he can so that Youngmin won’t be too suspicious. Kwangmin also thinks that in order to achieve his goal, he needs to follow every pattern that will lead him to his mistake so that he can correct it right away.

It actually feels funny to come back to high school, studying lessons that he has long forgotten. And thank God, there’s no quiz today. Kwangmin doesn’t think he can get an A like he used to be, probably C at the best, and it will bring a dark stain to the real sixteen years old Kwangmin’s achievements if that happens.

Even though Kwangmin forgets about high school’s lessons, but he never forgets about his high school’s best friends, Shim Hyunseong and No Minwoo, and it actually feels great that he can meet them again after a very long time. Seeing their faces again, Kwangmin eventually realizes how much he misses them.

Hyunseong and Minwoo are the only two of his friends in school that will keep staying beside him after he is discharged from hospital while the others will try so hard to stay away from him because who wants to be friends with a depressed, former basketball’s team captain anyway. And those wild rumors about him being a psycho, brutally killing his own twin by pushing him down from the parapet before jumping down himself, will only make everything’s worse.

Only Hyunseong and Minwoo will know the real incident that will happen today. They will be the only ones that want to give Kwangmin a chance to explain everything while the others will judge him without even hearing anything. Yes, Kwangmin is indeed the cause of this incident to happen, he should be blamed for his insensitivity, but it hurts him to hear that people accuses him for murdering Youngmin on purpose, because that’s not true at all.

Kwangmin feels so thankful for having Hyunseong and Minwoo in his life because they will not judge him partially. And unexpectedly, these two will just shrug it off when other bizarre rumors about them being as psycho as Kwangmin start to spread in school because they still stay loyal with him.

“From now on, just stay away from me.” Kwangmin will say one day to Hyunseong and Minwoo, the day when the first time he will hear about those rumors. It really hurts when he hears rumors about him being a psycho, but it hurts even more when he hears rumors about his best friends being psychos as well. These two wonderful boys have nothing to do with that incident, yet, people blindly assume that they are the ones who help Kwangmin killing his brother.

“What the hell, Kwangmin?” Minwoo will shout loudly, confusion and anger will be painted on his youthful face. Hyunseong, being the responsive one, immediately will get where Kwangmin’s words come from. “No, Kwangmin, we will never leave you although those ridiculous rumors about us spreading fast like fire right now. True friendship means that you will never abandon your friends no matter what.”

“Wait. So, this is all about those rumors about us being psychos? Oh my God, we don’t even give a about them.” Minwoo will laugh so hard like it’s the best joke he has ever heard. “You know what? It’s amusing to see those ers try so hard to bring you down. Perhaps they are just jealous because you were the basketball’s team captain. So, seeing someone as cool as you being hated is a free entertainment for them. And it means, if we leave you just because of those ty rumors, we will just give them one more legitimate reason to hate you even more.”

That conversation they will have feels like an indirect promise to stay friends forever. However, after they graduate from high school, separation can’t be avoided. Even though they will try to stay connected with each other, crazy schedules won’t let them to do so, and after several months later, they will come to a condition where they completely lose contact.

Hyunseong will be accepted at Korea National University of Arts and Kwangmin will not be surprised at all hearing this news. They guy has always liked singing and he has a talent for it. Moreover, he can play piano and guitar very well. So, of course the university will not waste a precious gem like him. And apparently, the vice president of an entertainment company from Japan will discover this gem as he visits the university. The vice president will offer Hyunseong a tempting contract that he can’t help but accept it.

Unfortunately, that contract will state that Hyunseong has to move to Japan to get more training before making a debut there. There’s also a rule that saying as long as Hyunseong is still a trainee, he can’t have any communication devices so that he will totally be focused on his training sessions. And it means that Kwangmin won’t be able to communicate with Hyunseong anymore and that will be the cause of them drifting apart.

As for Minwoo, he will be accepted at Yale School of Management, unsurprisingly following his father’s path. Minwoo is the only child in his family because apparently both of his parents are too busy working so that they don’t really have time to create many heirs to pass their big corporation for. And it’s very reasonable if Minwoo’s parents have planned everything for him, including his education, in order to make a proper heir out of him. Minwoo’s parents clearly don’t want him to up their hard work.

The fact that Minwoo will be in a goddamn prestigious university in America is like an obvious threat for their friendship because Kwangmin knows that his schedule will be no joke. Plus, he will also start to help his father handling the branch of his father’s companies there. So, Kwangmin thinks that he shouldn’t bother Minwoo with an unimportant thing such as skyping him.

Minwoo will be successful in the end, managing the companies so well that it will grow even stronger. Under Minwoo’s hands, No’s family corporation will do many product diversifications and enter many new markets, and all of those strategies will be proven profitable. Hyunseong will also make a successful debut in Japan. Girls and guys will be idolizing him, worshipping him, and his concert tickets will always be sold out in every ing country.

Kwangmin is so glad that his best friends will be successful in the future because they truly deserve it, but there’s a part of him that is sad because he will never know about those successful stories if it’s not for the media that will constantly report them. Kwangmin will never hear anything directly from those two.

Kwangmin spends his time today with the duo, silently recalling their good memories together, and almost crying remembering that those memories will have to end very soon. Kwangmin just misses how Hyunseong randomly sings in the middle of their conversation and how Minwoo basically complains about anything and everything. Everything feels so warm at this moment that he wishes he can just stop the time.

Yet, Kwangmin’s wish never comes true. The clock keeps ticking and Kwangmin gets more and more anxious. Kwangmin’s last lesson for today is physics. Usually, he listens to every word that comes out of Mr. Kim’s mouth very seriously because he loves physics. But now, as he can’t even concentrate on anything, Kwangmin thinks that everything Mr. Kim says doesn’t make sense at all. Kwangmin never thought that Newton’s Third Law can be this hard to understand.

Kwangmin’s nervousness reaches the peak as the school’s bell rings, indicating that the physics lesson must come to an end. Kwangmin ignores the fact that the pages of his books are getting crumpled as he hurriedly and carelessly throws everything on his table into his bag. Kwangmin doesn’t care anyway because all he cares about right now is the upcoming text he will get once he nearly arrives in front of the school’s gate. That text is indeed received by Kwangmin exactly at the moment he has predicted before.

Meet me at the rooftop.

***

A/N: Thank you for reading, subscribing, and commenting this story. ^^

Edit: Sorry, I made an error, probably because it was one am when I posted this chapter and I was a little bit sleepy, but thanks to ruiren that have pointed it out. And don't be shy to comment me if you find another error (or if you want to give me some advice to improve my writing). OTL