Park MinJee - The Lawyer

Guilty Of Love

So...I actually managed to write up two chapters. Originally it was just oen chapter, but I felt that the chapter was getting too long, so I split it into two. I really need to finish "To Steal His Heart" first, but I just felt like writing a small intro for this.

So, basically this chapter is just what I explained. It's an intro to MinJee and her character. There's not a lot here, but I promise that Donghae will come in the next chapter. It's just that the chapter was getting too long, so I had to cut it in half. Nevertheless, I do hope you enjoy this chapter. I had a great time writing it, and I really like MinJee's character. She's very...mature, yet she has her ups and downs which you will see. For the first two chapters she'll be in full on "lawyer mode" until she separates her work from personal life.

In any case, I hope you like the chapter. Thank you for reading! Oh, and I hope you like the poster too. I just requested it recently. I think it's lovely ^.^


It was five in the morning. The blaring red lights on Park MinJee's alarm clock could fully prove that. The said girl, rolled out of bed with an exhausted expression crossing her face. She wearily glanced at the phone in her hands with half-lidded eyes. Of all times, her boss just HAD to request that she meet with her client at this very moment. She silently cursed the fact that she accepted this case, although she knew that she had no choice. 
 
With an exasperated sigh, she pulled on a tight-fitting black pencil skirt, a white tank top, and a black blazer. She glanced fondly at the uniform, reflecting on just how much she would've marveled at the idea of being where she was a few years ago. 
 
MinJee had always aspired to succeed; to be something big. It had taken her five years to find her calling, and was she had, she only strove harder. After many years of hard work, studying, and simply doing whatever she possibly could, MinJee found herself where she wanted to be. Of course, this would have been a blessing for the young prodigy if it weren't for... 
 
MinJee's attention diverted to the mail on her counter. She silently flipped through the documents with a poker face. Her lips straightened into a line, and she frowned when she had come across a single document. A bill. With a groan, she plucked it out of the pile of mail, and flung it across the counter. She then proceeded to slump against the couch, tiredly running a free hand through her hair. 
 
...Oh, yes. If it weren't for that everything would be just peachy. The story behind those wretched expenses was quite simple actually. She was a college student, being the student she was, she skipped a few grades and came fresh out of law school. Heck, she hadn't even been a lawyer for a full year yet, but she was already up to her neck with expenses from her past loans she had taken out just to get through school...not to mention the bills that just kept rolling in. 
 
If it weren't for her stubborn independent personality, she would've accepted her wealthy parents offer to pay her way through college and law school, and take care of her expense. No...she had to be the way she was. She had to take it all on herself to be as independent as possible. But, there was no other way around it. It wasn't as if she wanted to be that needy spoiled girl who relied on her rich parents money to get her through life either. 
 
So, that was where MinJee had found herself now. She lived in a two-bedroom apartment with a living room, kitchen, and two bathrooms which she could hardly afford. Some days she found herself wondering just why she lived alone like this with more space than she needed. The reason? She used to share her apartment with her boyfriend...ex-boyfriend that is. The break up was just too complicated, and...well, it was just a bad experience; all of it. MinJee, herself, would rather not reflect on such a thing. 
 
Settling into her spot on the couch, MinJee quickly stole a glance at her wrist watch. Just then, her phone vibrated in her pocket. A tired look crossed her face as she slowly brought the devise to her ear, muttering a quick 'Yoboseyo?' 
 
"Yah! Park MinJee! What the hell were you thinking?" The frustrated reply cried. She winced, holding her phone away from her ear, obviously affected by the man's loud tone. 
 
"Uncle, that sentence is incorrect. It's not what I WAS thinking; it's what I AM thinking." She paused waiting for his response. Just as she predicted, it came out in the form of a long tired sigh. She could already imagine her uncle's frustrated expression and all those wrinkle lines forming. After that short pause, she continued. "Now what is this all about?" 
 
Almost a second after she had spoken, another sigh was heard. 
 
"I spoke with your client, a few seconds ago at my holding cells...your parents did too." MinJee's uncle spoke in a hushed whisper. She rolled her eyes. Just typical of them. 
 
"My parents? This is my case, not theirs. They should know tha-" She began through clenched teeth, obviously irritated. 
 
"Your parents just care about you. They want you to succeed if you are to inherit the law firm." A pause. "Never mind. This is all besides the point. 
 
"And the point would be?" MinJee questioned tiredly. 
 
"This case..." He started in a low tone. "It's bad news, MinJee. You should back out." 
 
She shut her eyes closed, shaking her head. Her hands clenched into fists. Just typical of her family. Of course they would into HER case just to make sure everything was going the way they wanted, and if it didn't; well, then they just wanted her to quit because of she were to fight for a hopeless case and lose, then that would stain their image, wouldn't it? It wasn't like they had another heir to replace her with. Her brother obviously wasn't interested in such things. He'd rather be playing hooky than studying. 
 
She massaged her temples, in attempt to calm herself down, repeatedly reminding herself to keep her cool. When she finally had gained back her composure, she spoke calmly. 
 
"I'll speak with the client. I was just on the way since my boss had ordered me to get on the case anyway. Which holding cell is he in?" There was a long pause, and MinJee half-expected her uncle to refuse. Then again, her uncle definitely wasn't her mother or father, and knowing his personality...he just understood better. 
 
"Number 473" He replied steadily. She nodded her head in understanding, although she knew he wouldn't be able to see. 
 
"Got it." Just as she was about to hang up, she heard a cry on the other end. 
 
"W-Wait, MinJee!" The man pleaded. "Just...if you need anything, you need to let me know. Your parents aren't going to be pleased if I tell them that you accepted the case, so I won't. But if I do that, you need to promise me that you will rely on me for anything." She reluctantly paused after hearing his words, her independent side taking over. MinJee felt quite annoyed that she had to be babysat like this. If it were any other young lawyer, who's parents weren't the best lawyers in all of Seoul with the biggest law firm, she'd be able to freely solve her own case. 
 
"Sure. I'll make sure to do just that."