Paradise

Paradise

 

Sunggyu froze. He stood on his place, not saying a word, not saying yes or no. He just didn't know how to react. No one, not even his family had called him beautiful. Handsome, sure, good looking, sometimes. But beautiful? Never! And how could this man in front of him call him beautiful? He wasn't. He was the opposite of beauty. He was just a freak who had a complete marked face and didn't had the strength to accept it as a part of himself. He just continued hiding his face and continued feeling the other man's intense stare on him. “....I'm not beautiful...” Sunggyu whispered, his voice full of pain.

 

The man knelt in front of him gave a small smile and moved closer. Slowly, he placed his hands on top of the injured man's ones and held them really tight, but in not a painful way like Sunggyu remembered. Every time someone held his hand tightly would be to stop him from running away from a beating. But Nam Woohyun...was holding his hands in a gentle way, like he was afraid Sunggyu would run away if he had the chance. “You are...You're the most beautiful person I ever saw...” The more Nam Woohyun talked, the harder Sunggyu started biting his lower lip. This man was blind. How could he say such a thing?

 

If he saw the scars, he wouldn't say something like that. And it hurt. It hurt so much. This person, this man, was the closer he got to someone in years, but as soon he showed how his face really was, he would run away or he would make fun of him and would call him freak and say he couldn't believe he said he was beautiful. That would be so painful for Sunggyu. He knew there was something wrong with him. Every time he looked to those eyes...to those happy, full of eyes, all he could feel was hate and jealousy. He shouldn't do it. He shouldn't feel like that because this man was doing something no one as ever done. This person was treating him with affection, with respect. But what would happen if he showed how he really was? Would Nam Woohyun be scared? Would he run away? Would he...ignore him forever? What if he kicked him out of the apartment? He was his landlord after all. He decided who lived on that building and who should go.

 

“You have beautiful eyes...” Nam Woohyun whispered, his lips brushing against the other man's cheek. He was sure he was about to faint when he felt such movement. He never felt someone so close, he never felt someone being so comfortable around him, even if Nam Woohyun didn't knew about the scars. He never felt so scared. He was afraid that this would be just a very realistic dream, that as he woke up, he would just feel his heart stop and he would realize how cruel life was, once again. “And I can see you're a beautiful person...” How could he say such things? They didn't even knew each other for a day. The meet hours ago, and this man was already saying things like this. Why? Why was he being so...nice? Was he being so warm? Why was he being so gentle? “Let me see your face.”

 

That shocked Sunggyu, to say the least. “No.” He said. It was a dry, fast answer, but he couldn't help it. He didn't wanted this man, the only person that treated him like a human being, to see his faced. It would be way too painful and he wasn't ready for it. He wasn't ready to show his face to this person. Not now, not ever. “Let me.” Nam Woohyun insisted, but his voice always remaining calm and gentle. He didn't want to scare Sunggyu, at least not more. He couldn't believe how a person could look so frail, so weak. But as soon he saw that man crying, he was proven wrong, and his heart got so tight he felt like had to help Sunggyu. Like he had to tell him the world wasn't going to hurt him because he was there to help and protect him. It was crazy because he didn't even knew this man right.

 

“No...” Sunggyu whispered and the other man moved a little closer. Nam Woohyun was getting seriously close, and the man in front of him had no idea of what was happening. “Let me see you...” Nam Woohyun whispered and at first, Sunggyu didn't understood. Not right away. He reached for the hood covering the injured man's face, so he could see what this man was hiding from him. He wanted to know, he had to know what was behind that hood, what was behind that mask, but as soon he touched the fabric, Sunggyu grabbed his wrist. Nam Woohyun could feel him shacking. “Please...just don't...” This time, the knelt man didn't do as he was told. Instead, he pulled away from the hold of Sunggyu and then, as slow as he could, he started removing the piece of fabric.

 

What seemed forever, lasted two seconds. Sunggyu's face was finally exposed to the world, to Nam Woohyun. And there was nothing he could do. He couldn't even look to the man in front of him. That stare was killing him. The stare of confusion, the stare of pity, the stare of shock. All of that was being too much for him. He should be used to it. He should be used to people look at him like that. But why did it hurt that much? Why was it being so painful? Why was he worrying about what this man was thinking about his scar? Why was the opinion of the this man he truly hated and envied meant something? “...Now you see what I am.” Sunggyu whispered but Nam Woohyun still didn't said a word. He continued with his mouth shut, making it even worst for the other. Silence was always the worst thing that could happen to him. It usually meant people got too scared or too disgusted that they couldn't even talk or think straight.

 

Nam Woohyun raised his hand, still not saying a thing, and very carefully, not to hurt the other man, he touched the scarred face. Sunggyu wasn't counting on that. He was sure Nam Woohyun wouldn't even try to do something like that. Who would like to touch a burned, marked face? No one. No one in their perfect mind would like to touch such a horrible skin. A skin that didn't felt like skin at all. A skin that felt like something else. It wasn't soft. It was hard, and it burned. It burned so much. It still felt he had made that scar days ago. The pain was still there. Everything was still there, and all he could do was handle it and deal with it. “Does it...hurt?” Woohyun asked as he continued touching the man's face. His fingers were dancing on the injured skin. It was like his touch was a feather, softly caressing the face. “Your ear...” Nam Woohyun noticed it. “...I can't ear very well from the left ear...” Nam Woohyun just nodded and continued his touching. “...Why aren't you scared? Why are you freaking out? I'm...a freak.” Sunggyu asked. He had to know. He was so tired of trying to find out what was happening there. He was starting to think Nam Woohyun was probably one of the most amazing, talented actors of all times.

 

“....You're still beautiful...” Nam Woohyun whispered and the other just looked at him, not believing what he just heard. “How can you say that?” He asked and the Nam Woohyun continued staring. He moved from his position and placed his arms around the man's waist. He pulled the scarred man towards him and allowed his chin to be against the fragile man's chest. “You're still beautiful....For me, you're still beautiful. No matter how many scars you have.” Sunggyu started biting his lip even harder and then looked to the man in front of him. “Are you sure about that?” Nam Woohyun nodded and without saying a single word, Sunggyu got up, not believing he could actually stand on his own two legs. Nam Woohyun continued knelt on the floor, watching the man moving, and not sure of what was happening.

 

Sunggyu grabbed the end of his shirt and removed it. He felt incredibly exposed and he was sure this was going to scare Nam Woohyun. “You still think?” He asked as he felt his whole body shacking. He didn't look worst than he already looked, but all he could do was stand there and look at the other man. His scars even felt more painful and bigger as he showed them to the man. He saw how Nam Woohyun was scanning his whole body, and the only thing he said was “...I've more...”. That didn't seemed to get the knelt man's attention. Instead, Nam Woohyun got up and looked into the man's eyes.

 

“I don't care....I don't care about your scars, I don't care about your burn marks...” Nam Woohyun allowed his right hand to travel around the scars and touch Sunggyu's left arm. He realized that his arm, even with all those scars, still felt soft. So soft. “Your skin...” He started and the other started imagining the worst. “..Feels like silk...” Sunggyu opened his eyes widely and has he looked to the slightest shorter man, he saw a beautiful, shining smile. It wasn't a mean, dirty smile. It was a pure, honest smile. Nam Woohyun placed his left arm around the slim waist and pressed their foreheads together. Sunggyu didn't even knew if he should pull back or not. He was just scared. The other man was using a sleeveless shirt so their were almost making a skin on skin contact. And that was scaring Sunggyu a little too much. He knew he should calm down, but it only got worst when he heard Nam Woohyun's words. “Let me take care of you...”