Broken hearts in Jeju

Crying Out

a/n: This is kind of a Lee Jong Hyun sequel to one of my Gdragon fanfic. Lee Jong Hyun found interest to a girl who was inlove with Kwon Jiyong. The girl  loved the CNBLUE boys as her brother but Jong Hyun  felt something different. After Jiyong and the girl announced their relationship to their family, Lee Jong Hyun ended up in Jeju nursing his broken heart.

 

"excuse me?" I queried. My facial expression was indescribable.  The attendant just said that my supposed reserved seat is not available. "That's not possible. I booked..."
The lady cut in. "I understand and it's from our company's fault. We'll investigate this matter. For this matter, we upgraded you to VIP seat."
I looked at the lady straight in the eye. VIP? My brain screamed. I never flew in a VIP seat. "Oh, that's awesome because I can't miss this flight," I tried to control my surging excitement.
"Thank you for understanding." The lady took my boarding pass and handed me a new one.
I walked and was welcomed warmly in the VIP cabin. Well, It's a VIP and Koreans were known for being polite. It's my first time flying to my homeland since my family moved to the US. I was barely learning my own language when my parents decided to move to the US. I still understand and can speak a bit of korean enough to survive for my short stay in Korea.
I finished my course in natural sciences and was lucky to get a casual position at UNESCO. I volunteered to do the study and research in Korea as it's related to my thesis in graduate school.
I calmly claimed my seat and deposited my luggage in the cabin bin. "soo classy." I though. I opened my tablet and read about Jeju island. I researched a lot about it but still can't get enough.  "Oh hi Mae, I just boarded the plane to Jeju. Someone's supposed to pick me up. Don't let mom worry. She might jump to the next plane and follow me around." I paused and listened from the other line. "Look Mae, I don't have luxurious time sightseeing and boy band hunting or whatsoever. I know. I know. I'll go see unni after I finish the first part of the research. Ya! Shim Min Hee! " I interrupted her. "You said I just had to buy some stuff...You what? No way, Min Hee, I don't have time to meet up with your friend and go to some stupid fansigning event. FTisland? I don't even know them." My  younger sister begged me to buy something from an entertainment store. I can't   help it. I had my time spending time over idols and singers. Now she's asking me to pick up a CD and even attend the fansigning event.  My wicked little sister had planned everything for me in Seoul.  "Mae, mom has a doctor's appointment on friday and remind dad about his visit to Canada. I'll give you a buzz when I get settled to my hotel," I hang up in time to look up at a guy walking to the seat next to me.  I made a second glance. "Rich kid," I murmured and returned my eyes on my tablet. My brows creased. There's something in my notes that I don't understand. "Oh ! You've got to be kidding me," It's one of the main research place. "Why didn't I translate it earlier," I glanced at the guy next to me. He looks engrossed listening to his music or whatever. He's wearing dark glasses and his headset on his both ears. He's obviously screaming, "don't talk to me," I braved myself and got up. "Hi, uhm...I'm new in Korea and I uhm..can you read this for me?" The guy looked up without taking off  his dark glasses. "oh, nevermind," I changed my mind. Looks like he doesn't want to be disturbed.
"Let me see," he said. His voice was soft and gentle.
With a shaking I handed him my tablet. I thanked him after he explained and returned to reviewing my presentation.

UNESCO is no joke. I'll be staying in a 5 star hotel to work on a project. This is heaven. After taking shower, I called my older sister who's living in Busan. She left the US and lived back in Korea after getting married. "Unni, I'll come visit you before I leave to the US. Looks like I'll be here for the next 5 days," We talked for few more minutes and I hung up first. I was so tired from the 15 hours flight.

I met up with the team I'll be working with. Everybody was nice and cooperative. The next day I rented a car  and leisurely  toured the Jeju island. It's a beautiful island. I met a lot of foreigners and chatted with them. I even had the chance to chat about my thesis proposal.

It was getting dark when I arrived at my hotel. I picked up some sandwich and decided to eat at park nearby. I finished my sandwich in a jiffy. I was so hungry and didn't have anything since 10 this morning. I gathered my trash and dumped it on the garbage on my way to sit under the tree across the hotel. I opened my tablet and was dumbfounded with the first mail I opened. I was speechless and just stared at the photo in my screen. The ringing of my phone brought me back to reality. "Oh Mimi," she was screaming and I have to pull my phone away from my ear. "I just found out. Corrine sent me the photos." I tried to calm my voice. "Mimi, don't let that step in the house and never let mom dad know about it. Dammit! I was barely away for a week and he's...I'll be fine, at least I think. I'll call you later," I hang up and ran back to my hotel. I was hurt. I've been dating my boyfriend for 2 years now and now he's cheating on me. I cried for more than an hour and cursing his name.  I ended up at the hotel bar. I didn't know how much I drank but I asked for some to be sent to the garden. I was miserable and can't think straight " you Mark!" I screamed and was tempted to throw the glass on the floor. I picked up my glass and staggered towards the bench. I wobbled and stumbled and was on the ground face down. "man! I miss this," I smelled the grass. It was newly mowed. I stayed lying on the grass, closed my eyes and slowly cried. My head was calmed by the music I was hearing. It was just strumming of a guitar. I guess it's the acoustic music playing from the bar. I probably passed out coz I woke up with the chill biting my skin. A denim jacket fell off when I got up. "Oh " I mumbled. Someone saw me in my miserable state. I grabbed the jacket and draped it on. I cautiously walked back to my room. I washed my face and changed to pyjamas. My eyes fell to the jacket. "how can I return that," I jumped out of the bed and checked the pocket. " well that's how it happens in movies," I justified. I checked all the pocket but nothing in there. "It only happens in movies," I murmured and drifted to sleep.

I never had much drink for months that's why I had a terrible headache when I woke up. I was glad I had everything prepared before touring Jeju or else I'd be in big trouble presenting. I tried hard to clear my head and concentrate on my presentation. I excused myself from the team lunch and returned to the hotel. I ordered a cold drink and carried  it outside with my tablet on my hand. I have to work on my thesis proposal while I'm still in korea. Who knows when I can come again. I received few response from the survey I sent out. I still like laptop over tablet when working. I was fussing on my tablet when a shadow fell over my screen. I looked up and was blinded by the sun.

"You look sober and busy as compared last night," his voice was husky but gentle voice like of those gods I studied in Greek mythology.

I raised my hand to shield the rays. My eyes widened. It's the rich kid from the plane and he saw me in my miserable state. I wanted to bang my head on the table.

"May I join you," he didn't wait for me to say something. He pulled the chair infront and sat down. "Broken hearted I guess," he concluded.

I am sociable and I don't want to be rude. I forced a smile. "That was shameful." I admit. "It's unprofessional,"

"It's normal," he was playing with his phone.

I keenly listened to the sound coming from his phone. "Is the music from your..." he nodded. "uhhh, I think I heard that last night,"

"I was arranging the lyrics," he answered.

"Lyrics, hmmm," I guess he's a musician or a music student. He's too young to be a music teacher. "Cool. It sounds sad," I commented.

"Broken heart," He said and looked away.

I snickered. "Same boat huh. I'm Jay. Shim  Ji yeon," I stretched my hand for a handshake which he accepted.

"Lee Jong Hyun. Nice meeting you. Jay?"

"Oh my English name. I just end up being called Jay. I grew up in the US." I explained.

"Oh, I thought so when you asked something in the plane. So you're healing a broken heart in Jeju?" I stayed silent. "Not a good idea huh. You see a lot of couples," he continued.

"I'm here to work," I want to elude the topic. Darn! Talking about my emotional state with a handsome man. That's not so me. "So what's about the song you're arranging?"

"It's English and I am trying to challenge myself to write English songs,"

"Cool" I admire him. Not all koreans have that dream. It's like Bon Jovi wanting to write a korean song. Damn I suddenly wanted to listen to his 'It's my life'. I unconsciously started humming it.

"Bon Jovi?" he snapped a finger infront of my face.

"Huh?" God! I was really lost. "Sorry?"

"I am guessing you're a Bon Jovi fan,"

"How did you know?"

"It's my life," he smiled and I think I just died with his 2 dimples. My weaknesses.

"huh?"

"You were just humming it," he said.

Oh my God! I think I still have hangover. "Oh. I love him since I was in middle school,"

"He's a great singer. I like him too." He said.

"Hey, can I see the lyrics you're trying to arrange. I admit I like the melody I heard last night."

He played the music again. It's calming and soothing. He slid his phone to me. I almost choked myself. I realized that the fact that I've been a big fan of music and still I don't know how to read notes. I hate it. My parents arranged a piano lesson for me and I opted for taekwondo instead. I bit my lips. "Ahm, honestly I can't read notes. I only listen to music."

"Oh," he flashed another killer smile. "Don't mind the notes. It's not yet done. I am still working on it,"

"Let me see," I was a bit confident of my being fluent to english. My brows creased and I looked at him sharply. "Is this some kind of a joke? Did you write this overnight?" The story was like me last night.

He looked at me. "What? what do you mean? Overnight? Do you have any idea how it's hard to write english when you're a korean and can't speak english fluently," he looks insulted and hurt with what I said.

! I wanted to take back what I said. What was I thinking? "Sorry. Looks like that was my story last night,"

"coincidence. What do you think?"

"Ahm, don't get hurt okay. This should be on past tense. Blast of wind sounds better than blowing wind. tears roll down." I pointed out most on tenses.

"whoaaa! You're genius," he was amazed.

"I grew up in an english speaking country."

"It sounds better." he was smiling broadly.

"oh, I hate to break this up but I have a meeting in 30 minutes. I would love to hear your song when it's done."

"I sure will. What's your email address? I'll send you the whole song,"

I pulled the post it note in my folder and scribbled my email. "I'll be expecting," I left him.

~~~

I head out early to the fansigning event my wicked sister had asked me to go. Much that I have a choice she already got me the ticket and decided to meet some idols while in Korea. To my surprise the venue was already packed. "What the?! "damn Min Hee!" I cursed as I made my way and squeezed into the crowd. "I'm here, I might as well go into it." I pulled the number from my purse and the book that I picked up from her friend and followed the queue. The crowd was super loud and I all I can hear were screams. I shook my head and stepped forward. Finally my time to meet the boys my sister had been bragging. I smiled at the first member. I handed him the book. I looked around as soon as I stepped on the stage and took a photo of the crowd. My jaw dropped  when he handed me back the book. "holy mother of freaking hands!' my brain screamed. Since I got caught with rock song, I was obsessed with hands and I know hands that plays a guitar. I'm always  fascinated with hands. And the guy obviously plays the guitar. "Hi, what instru..." I paused. I'll be a laughing stock. I moved to the next member and was more than amazed with the hands. I moved to the last member. I recognized him. It's the poster in my sister's bedroom door. "Hi, it's for my sister. Her name is  Min Hee. Can you write happy birthday as well,"

"Oh, you're a nice sister," the guy appreciated.

"My sister's annoying. She won't let me back home if I don't have this book signed," I chuckled. "Thank you very much I appreciate..." my eyes blinked. "oh, it says 5 group how come there's only four of you?"

"Ah Lee Hong Ki hyung is busy filming his drama." He smiled.

Oh my God! I feel I'm a teenager who just fell inlove. This cute boy just refreshed my burning face. As soon as he handed me back the book, I bowed and walked away as fast as I can.