Minzy Oppa

How To Get A Girl

 

Minzy and her close friends Bom, Dara and Chaerin began to pack up their stuff as the school bell rung, signalling that the day had ended.

“Mmmm!” Bom was the first to stand up, stretching out her stiff limbs. “Today’s lesson was so boring. I could barely pay attention!”

Dara stood up next, rolling her eyes at the doe eyed girl. “That’s because you were too busy staring at Minzy.”

Chaerin chuckled and stood up, smoothing out her clothes. “Yeah, and taking pictures of her, and Instagramming those pictures, and tweeting about her…” She paused, scratching her head. “Come to think of it, you never really pay attention to begin with.”

Bom shrugged, looking innocent. “Can you blame me? Minzy and I are in love.” She turned to said girl. “Right darling?”

Minzy finally stood up, looking exasperated. “No. And stop calling me that.” She picked her bags up in a huff.

Bom pouted. “But anata*”

“Saying it in Japanese won’t change my mind, baka*. Besides, I thought you weren’t a lesbian!”

“I most certainly am not! I only have eyes for you, that’s different.”

“That really doesn’t make me feel any better.”

Dara eyed Bom, putting an arm around Minzy protectively. “Liar, you have eyes for Minzy, AND your boyfriend, Seunghyun.”

“…Who?”

Chaerin smacked her on the arm. “Your boyfriend pabo! Seunghyun? T.O.P??”

Bom blinked. “Oh! That guy! Yeah no he knows how I feel about my beloved Minzy and he’s ok with it!”

Minzy shrugged out of Dara’s hold which was beginning to feel suspiciously like a caress. “If he’s so ‘ok with it’, then why does he glare at me every time we hang out with him?”

“He’s not glaring! That’s just how he usually looks, he thinks it makes him look charismatic or something. He should take lessons from you, you just look cool no matter what you do Minzy!”

Chaerin shook her head at the shameless fangirl in front of her. “I hope you don’t say that to his face.”

“Say what, that he needs to be more like Minzy?” Bom asked. Chaerin nodded. “Of course I tell him! He told me he wants to be my ideal so I told him to study Minzy.” Bom stated matter-of-factly. 

Minzy rubbed her face with both her hands. “Well now we know why his face always looks like he’s eating something sour.” The 3 girls laughed at the joke, a little louder than necessary. Minzy rolled her eyes and walked towards the door, her friends following close behind her.

 

After Minzy parted with her friends, in which they had relentlessly insisted that she give each of them goodbye hugs, she made her way to her locker. Arriving, she was greeted by her locker neighbour and friend.

“What’s up Min?”

“Hey Amber.”

Amber watched Minzy put in her locker code, but stopped her just before she opened it.

“Whoa there, are you forgetting what we do at the end of the day?”

Minzy sighed. “I didn’t forget, but we do this every day and the outcome is always the same.”

Amber smirked. “You never know…”

“Ugh, let’s just get this over with.”

Amber entered her locker code. Counting down from 3, she and Minzy opened their lockers at the same time. She grinned as a large pile of letters fell onto the floor in front of her, but deflated slightly when she realized that the pile in front of Minzy was noticeably larger. Minzy shook her head, kicking some of the letters to the side.

“Hey now, shouldn’t you treat those letters from your precious admirers a little bit nicer?” Amber scolded, with a tinge of jealousy.

Minzy scoffed. “Yeah, I totally would. If those admirers were male!” Reaching down to pick one of the letters up, she held it with two fingers, reading it out loud with disdain. “Dear unnie. Or should I call you oppa? Either way, I just wanted to let you know that I’m in love with you. So much so, that I’ve broken up with my boyfriend to be with you! Please take responsibility and come fill my lonely bed. Contact me at xxx-xxxx.” She crumpled the letter up and threw it on the floor.

Amber snickered at her. “I don’t understand why you hate it so much.” She winked at a girl and her boyfriend who were passing by. The girl swooned and let go of her boyfriend’s hand to fan herself and blow a kiss back. “See, they love us.”

“Yeah, but they” Minzy pointed to the girl’s boyfriend who roughly yanked the girl’s hand back and began to drag her away, glaring at Minzy and Amber, “hate us. And there lies the problem because I don’t hate them. On the contrary, I rather like them.”

Amber shrugged, gathering up the letters and placing them into her backpack. “Thems the breaks Min, sometimes you just gotta go where the money is.”

Minzy groaned, retrieving a garbage bag from her locker, then proceeding to kick the letters into it. “But I don’t want money. I want boys!”

Amber patted her on the back sympathetically, then stood up to leave. “Good luck friend.”

 

~~~~~~~~

 

“Dong Wook! I’m home!” Minzy yelled, stepping through the front door.

“How many times do I have to tell you to call me oppa?” Dong Wook chastised lightly, leaving the kitchen to greet his baby sister.

“Are you sure I shouldn’t call you hyung instead?” She joked, a touch of sadness in her voice. Dong Wook sighed and ruffled her hair, leaning in to give her a chaste kiss on the forehead.

“Now whatever would cause this cute baby sister of mine of think that it’s acceptable to call me hyung?”

Minzy shrugged, placing her backpack on the floor. “Where’s Byeollie unnie?”

“Grocery shopping, don’t change the subject. What’s wrong?”

Minzy shook her head and tried to go upstairs, to her room. She suddenly shrieked as a pair of hands grabbed her waist, lifting her off the floor.

“What are you doing??” She yelled, flailing her arms and legs.

“It’s not good to keep things bottled up you know. Talk to me, I’m here for you Mingkki!”

“Ok, I get it! Just put me down already!”

Dong Wook smiled, feeling satisfied with himself. He placed a disheveled Minzy on the couch and stared down at her expectantly. Her face settled into a frown.

“It’s really not a big deal, you know.” She tried. Dong Wook continued to stare at her, the smile never leaving his face. Minzy, beginning to feel creeped out, caved. “Ok, the whole, girls being obsessed with me, thing was beginning to annoy me.”

“…That’s all? I thought you were used to it?”

Minzy gave her brother an annoyed look. “Obviously I’m used to it. But what bothers me the most is that…with things the way that they are, I don’t think I’ll ever get a boyfriend.”

Dong Wook laughed. “That makes my life a hell of a lot easier.”

“Shut up, you don’t understand how I feel at all!” Dong Wook stopped laughing, and sat down beside Minzy.

“You’re right. And I hope I never have to.” He ducked, to avoid the pillow that was swung at his head. “I’m kidding! Besides, didn’t you have a boyfrie-“

“No.” Minzy cut him off. “I never had a boyfriend.”

“Um, ok? Anyways, one day, you’ll meet a guy who sees you as the beautiful young lady that you clearly are, and you’ll fall madly in love. The end.”

“And what if that never happens?”

“Well then I’ll marry you!”

Minzy looked up at him as if he was crazy. “One, you have Han Byeol unnie. Two, um ew?”

Dong Wook chuckled to himself. “When you were younger, you used to run around the house proclaiming your love for me, and how you were going to be my wife. Umma and appa…” He trailed off. Their parents weren’t really something that they talked about often.

“Well obviously, things change.” Minzy got up from the couch and began walking towards the kitchen. “Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to go eat, then maybe shave my head. If all the girls love me, then I might as well commit to looking like their ideals.”

“Whatever floats your boat baby sis. Just stay away from my razor!” He called after her.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Later that night, just before Minzy was about to go to bed, there was a knock at her door.

“Come in.” She called out softly.

“Hey sweetheart.”

“Byeollie unnie!” Minzy jumped up and hugged the older lady, glad to see her. “Did you just get home?”

“No, I’ve been home for a few hours. I would have come to say hi earlier, but I figured that you’d want some space.” Pulling away to look at Minzy, Han Byeol smiled teasingly. “And I see you still have all your hair, that’s good.”

“Oppa told you, huh?”

Han Byeol nodded and sat down on Minzy’s bed, patting the space beside her. Minzy joined her and rested her head on her unnie’s shoulder.

“Look at you, you’re getting more and more beautiful every day.” Han Byeol smiled softly, feeling the girl beside her shake her head slowly.

“I think the word you’re looking for is handsome.” Minzy sighed. Han Byeol chuckled faintly and wrapped an arm around Minzy, gently rocking the two of them side to side.

“You know that’s not true silly girl. You’ve got a beauty that goes beyond your time. It’s a beauty that boys your age don’t understand. Because it’s so much, it overwhelms them. Girls are the only ones who understand it and that’s why they flock to you.”

“But I didn’t choose to look like this. I just want to look like a normal girl, and have a normal life and find a normal boyfriend. Is that so wrong?”

“Of course not lovely, and you will. In time you’ll grow into your beauty. It will change from what you think are tomboyish good looks into something you would never have imagined. Something amazing.”

“How can you be so sure?”

Han Byeol was silent for a moment. Minzy sighed, slumping her shoulders subconsciously. Han Byeol was just beginning to make her feel better too…

“That reminds me.” Han Byeol began, rousing Minzy from her worsening mood. “I came here to give you something.”

Minzy perked up at that. Han Byeol laughed quietly as Minzy looked up at her excitedly.

“What is it unnie? Is it edible? Is it something I can wear? Is it-“

“Whoa, calm down kiddo!” Han Byeol smiled. “Close your eyes, turn around and I’ll give it to you.”

Minzy nodded and turned around, not skipping a beat. She felt Han Byeol pushing her hair to the side, then she felt a tiny warmth wrapping loosely around her neck. She opened her eyes, and looked down at the most beautiful necklace she had ever seen in her entire life. She turned around, frowning slightly.

“Unnie, I can’t accept this. It’s… absolutely breath taking, but it’s too pretty for someone like me.”

“What on earth are you saying child, the wearer of the necklace makes it beautiful, not the other way around. And I want you to have it. My umma gave it to me when I was around your age, and the next day I met Dong Wook.”

“Isn’t this the kind of thing you should give to your daughter when you have kids with my brother?”

“Minzy.” Han Byeol Minzy’s cheek. “Precious Minzy, you’re already like a daughter to me. I wouldn’t give this to you if I felt any differently.”

“And you’re like a mother to me, unnie. Thank you so much.”

“No problem love. And to answer your question from before, I can just feel that your life is about to change soon. The women who wear this necklace have a history of having life changing events happen to them soon after. Stay strong Minzy, ok?”

Minzy nodded, hugging Han Byeol. The two then said their goodnights and Minzy laid in bed, slowly drifting to sleep.

“Life changing events…huh…”

 

~~~~~~~~

 

“Min min!” Minzy turned around just in time to dodge Bom who had been running full speed towards her. Bom stumbled and looked back at Minzy, undeterred. She then wrapped her arms around Minzy, smothering her in a hug. Dara and Chaerin came jogging over.

“Sorry.” Dara began. “We tried to stop her.”

Minzy shook herself free of Bom and smoothed out her clothes. “How do you manage to have so much energy so early in the morning?”

“Seeing you energizes me!” Bom beamed. She suddenly stopped, staring intently at Minzy. She leaned in closer and closer, until her nose was almost touching Minzy’s. Minzy leaned back, worried.

“W-what is it?”

“Hm…Did you get a new necklace?”

“Y-yeah, why?”

Bom stared for a bit longer, until she leaned back, seemingly satisfied. “It’s beautiful! It really suits you!”

Minzy let out a sigh of relief. “Thanks.”

“I-I thought it looked really nice too!” Chaerin added. Dara nodded enthusiastically beside her. Minzy laughed and blew kisses at her friends. The three girls blushed simultaneously. Just as they were about to leave the front entrance of the school and walk inside, they were stopped by a nervous, youthful looking boy. He turned to Minzy and opened his mouth to speak, but before any words could come out, Bom, Dara and Chaerin stepped in front of her, effectively blocking her from his sight.

“What business does a boy like you have with our Minzy?” Bom spit out.

“U-um I-“

“Wow that sounded really intelligent.” Chaerin laughed at the boy, causing his face to turn bright red.

“Listen, Minzy doesn’t talk to idiots ok? Come back when you can form a proper sentence.” Dara grabbed Minzy’s arm, pulling her close, and the 4 girls strode away. Minzy glanced back at the boy and was surprised. She expected to see him looking upset, furious, crying even. But instead, he looked up and locked eyes with Minzy, nothing but determination set in his round orbs.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

“That guy was so weird.” Chaerin made a face while biting into her sandwich. It was lunchtime, and as always, the 4 girls sat together in the cafeteria along with Bom’s boyfriend Seunghyun and his friends.

“Yeah, and he was just standing there, looking at Minzy. What a creep.” Bom added in. Dara scoffed, shaking her head.

“And that’s different from you, because?”

“Nonsense, Minzy and I have something special.” Bom turned to nudge Minzy. “Right baby?”

Minzy gave a tentative glance around Bom, at her boyfriend Seunghyun who was sitting beside her. He was currently glaring daggers into the table in front of him. Minzy shook her head zealously. “No, absolutely not.” Minzy ignored Bom’s whines of protest. “Bom, why don’t you focus on catching up with your boyfriend this lunch. You two haven’t seen each other in a while, right?”

Bom looked at Minzy, bored. “I haven’t seen who in a while?”

Chaerin dropped her sandwich to scowl at Bom. “Your boyfriend, Park Bom. Turn around.”

Bom turned slowly. “Oh. You’re still here.” Seunghyun perked up, realizing that Bom was giving him some sort of attention. “Well, you might as well make yourself useful. Go buy me some corn from the lunch line.” Seunghyun nodded happily and instantly made his way to the line. Bom turned back to the girls. “Well now that he’s finally gone…” Dara looked at Bom, confusion written all over her face.

“I don’t get it. You don’t seem as though you like the guy, so why are you even dating him?”

“Minzy told me to.” Bom said nonchalantly. Dara and Chaerin looked at Minzy for confirmation, but she simply rolled her eyes.

“I didn’t tell her to date him. Seunghyun told me that he liked Bom, so I told him I’d help him out. I told Bom that Seunghyun liked her and then the next day they were dating.” Minzy turned to Bom. “I didn’t tell you to date him, all I said was that he was interested in you.”

Bom pouted. “But I thought it would make you happy if I dated him.”

“Why the hell would that make me happy?”

“I don’t know. Jealous instead then?”

“For the love of God Bom, I’m not into girls!”

“Neither am I, so it’s perfect!”

“Just how the does that make sense to yo-” Minzy was cut off as a hand tapped her on the shoulder. Thinking it was another love struck girl, she turned around angrily but stopped short as she looked closely at the person’s face.

Oh. It’s the guy from this morning.

“Hey Minseok.” A guy named Seungri jeered. “Can’t find a girl, so now you’re switching to the other side?”

Chaerin glowered at Seungri, effectively shutting him up. “That’s so rude. Minzy is not a boy!”

Seungri ducked his head down. “She might as well be.” He mumbled.

“Yah!” Dara stood up, smacking the table. “What did you say?!”

“Guys, enough!” Minzy frowned at the three of them, embarrassed that they were making a scene. “It doesn’t matter. Let’s just go.” Getting up and turning towards the boy that was referred to as ‘Minseok’, she smiled warily at him. “Sorry…Minseok, was it?” The boy nodded timidly. “Whatever the problem seems to be, I’m sure we can discuss it some other day ok? And if your girlfriend broke up with you because of me or something, then please leave me out of it because I did nothing to influence her decision. Maybe you should try harder next time to be a better boyfriend.” Everybody in the cafeteria was silent. Suddenly, a girl began clapping, followed by a few more girls and soon, all of the girls in the cafeteria were clapping and cheering for Minzy.

“Minzy! You’re so cool!”

“You tell that dumb boy Minzy!”

“Minzy! Sign my bra!”

Minzy shook her head and rushed out of the cafeteria. Dara, Chaerin and Bom followed behind her, stopping to give everybody, within looking distance, the finger. Minseok stood rooted to the spot, dumbfounded, yet still determined. He was on a mission, and would be damned if he stopped now.

 

~~~~~~~~ 

 

During Minzy’s last class of the day, she found herself unable to pay attention at all. She couldn’t stop thinking about the boy from the cafeteria.

Maybe I was a little bit harsh in what I said…

She had kind of just assumed that he was there to seek revenge over a ‘stolen’ girlfriend, and hadn’t even given him the chance to speak.

And he was really adorable too.

Minzy sighed, shaking her head. Who was she kidding, there was no way he was even remotely interested in her. And even if he did, miraculously, find her to be the tiniest bit cute, he would probably never approach her again considering how she embarrassed him in the cafeteria earlier. Minzy sighed again, louder and lowered her head onto her desk. She felt a gentle nudge on her side and looked up to see Chaerin, Dara and Bom staring worriedly at her.

“You ok?” Bom mouth soundlessly. Minzy paused, then nodded, but Bom noticed her hesitation and frowned slightly. Leaning over to whisper to her, she said, “You can talk to us, you know. We hate to see you looking troubled.”

Minzy shook her head, reassuring Bom that she was fine, just a little tired. There was absolutely no way that she could tell them that a boy was causing her all of this internal grief. They would bury Minseok alive! She couldn’t do that to the poor guy. She’d just have to forget about him, and move on.

Dammit. He was really really adorable.

Holding in a sigh, she waited patiently for class to finally be over. Not wanting to be swarmed with estrogen any longer, she made an excuse to her friends about needing to go to the washroom. They opted to go with her, but she refused, giving them all good bye hugs and kisses on the cheeks for good measure. They couldn’t really argue much after that, and eventually left. Minzy took a detour around the school to get to her locker, not wanting to run into Amber either. After 15 minutes, she decided to go just go to her locker so she could get her stuff and head home. As she neared her destination, she noticed a figure standing beside her locker.

Damn, I though Amber would have left by now.

Sighing in defeat, she came closer, but stopped as she suddenly realized that the person wasn’t Amber.

“Minseok?” She began, shocked. “What are you-”

“Minzy!” He yelled, bowing over into a perfect 90 degrees. “Will you please teach me how to get girls?”

…You’ve got to be ing kidding me.

 

 

 

A/N *Anata - A Japanese word meaning an intimate form of you, or dear. Used as a term of endearment

       *Baka - A Japanese word meaning dummy, idiot, fool, etc. 

First chapter, woot! Lemme know what you guys are thinking ~