Episode 16

The Fae

So, after this, I'm thinking of writing an origin story for Sooki. We still don't know who she is married to, all we know is he is the lord of the villag so we have lots of selection for new male leads. We also don't know how she got kidnapped from her home or bought by the lord of the village so I thought it might be fun. Anyone else think it sounds interesting? Obviously won't happen for a while, but I've been drawing up a possible story line. 

This is kind random, but anyone know naruto? I just realised that Akatsuki meant red moon, which is funny because Madara/Obito wanted to use the moon to create a worldspread genjutsu, thus, making the moon red. Sorry, just thought that was hilarious. Now, here's the story. 


 

 ‘That’s not fair!’ Hyunsu glowered at the empty fireplace.

 

 ‘It’s for your own good, everyone agrees that you shouldn’t see her.’ Buyong played with the knot of her shawl, as her husband and daughter argued. She couldn’t stand to hear them talking with each other like that.

 

 ‘She’s my friend, I haven’t seen her in months.’ She crossed her arms, feeling a strong urge to pout and stomp her feet like a child. But she wouldn’t, there was no point, it would get her nowhere. Plus her leg still hurt and that would just make it worse.

 ‘Hyunsu, you have been banned from her presence!’ Joonho closed his eyes and sighed heavily. She was just as stubborn as before. ‘There is only one way that you will be allowed to see her again.’

 ‘What is it?’ Hyunsu finally looked at them, but her eyes were narrowed from suspicion.

 ‘You have to marry Hyoheon.’ Hyunsu stared at him with an expression tied between disbelief and disgust.

 ‘Why? Why do I have to marry him if I want to see her? That makes no sense.’

 ‘Did you forget you were engaged before this? You have obligations to fulfill,’ Joonho looked away from her, not wanting to see the betrayed look on his daughter's face.

 ‘Obligations? Since when did I swear to do this! I never once gave my promise to marry him! I don’t want to go near him!’ She clenched the fabric of the dress in her fists as she spoke. ‘I want to see Sooki without being tied to an aberration like him! He’s, he’s,’ she shook her head. ‘He’s a ist bigot!’ Following her words was silence. Hyunsu watched as her mother covered and choked on her tears. Her father was motionless, he said nothing, and didn’t express a single emotion. ‘I don’t want to.’

 ‘Hyunsu,’ Buyong’s mouth was hanging open, making her wobbling chin stand out as tears poured down her cheeks. ‘Was it us?’ She hugged Hyunsu tightly against her chest, ‘what have we done to you?’

 ‘You did nothing,’ Hyunsu whispered into her mother’s shoulder, hugging her back. It hadn’t taken her long to realise that she had slipped into the languages of the Nymphs by the end of her rant. She wasn’t surprised that her mother had broken down, but she couldn’t understand why her mother blamed herself.

 ‘You don’t know what you’re saying,’ Buyong wiped the tears off her cheeks with rough swipes of her calloused hands. ‘Give me the necklace.’

 ‘What?’ Hyunsu instantly grabbed the necklace they had given her. ‘No,’ she shook her head and backed away from her mother. ‘You can’t take it.’

 ‘Hyunsu,’ Buyong held out her hand with a begging looked on her face. Hyunsu didn’t have to say anything for her parents to hear the silent, it’s the only thing left. It was the only thing they let her keep that wasn’t human, and now, they wanted to take it from her as well.

 ‘It’s mine,’ Hyunsu grasped it the cool stone, somehow it seemed to get colder in her hands, balancing out her rising body heat. ‘You can’t have it.’

 ‘It’s Sooki’s,’ Joonho disagreed and shook his head, finally speaking up.

 ‘But, you gave it to me,’ Hyunsu frowned at them, her mother instantly looked away from her. ‘You are the one that handed it to me,’ she looked at her dad who stared at her with a blank expression. ‘How is it Sooki’s?’

 ‘Hyunsu, give it to me.’

 ‘No, no, first tell me what you did.’ Hyunsu clenched her teeth, feeling rising anger at the way her parents were acting. Why were they guilty? What could they have possibly done that was so bad?’

 ‘Hyunsu!’ Joonho’s voice rose as he walked towards her with an outstretched hand. ‘Give me the necklace, please,’ his voice shook uncharacteristically as he begged for it. Hyunsu stared at her father with watery eyes, he looked so desperate. With shaky hands she lifted it over her head and held it over his hand. He took it instantly, his fingers wrapped around the stone as the coloured lines on it dissolved into nothing, leaving the stone blank.

 ‘Please don’t go looking for her,’ Buyong begged as Joonho left their house, the door slamming behind him.

 ‘You dare ask that of me?’ Hyunsu questioned with a quiet voice. ‘You dare ask me to not look for my only true friend when you’re taking everything from me?’

 ‘The only things we’re taking are the inhuman things you have!’ Buyong snapped, her cheeks were flushed and her eyes were just as tear filled as her daughters. ‘You don’t, you shouldn’t have those things. They’re tainting you,’ she rubbed her calloused fingers against Hyunsu’s shoulders in a futile attempt to calm her. ‘They’re trying to change you, we can’t let that happen.’

 ‘Nobody is changing me,’ Hyunsu shook her shoulder until her mother let go of her, before she walked by her. ‘Nobody has changed, nothing is different, but our perspectives have changed, haven’t they?’ She stopped midway through the living room. ‘I know what changed my view, but what’s changed yours?’ With those final words she walked into her room and closed the door behind her. Her eyes closed as she slumped against the door with a heavy sigh.

 With that moment to relax, her eyes snapped open and she walked to the window and wrestled it open. Her fingers tightened around the window frame as she leaned out, it would be so easy to just slip out and see Sooki. But she wouldn’t, Hyunsu sat down against the wall and stared at the wall. She knew it was a bad idea. Instead, she was left sitting in the room she shared with her brother. She just felt so lost.


 

 As her brothers breath slowed, Hyunsu slipped out of the window. She hadn’t left her house since she had come back, now her first time out of the village was in the middle of the night after hours of sitting and waiting. Her boots agitated the mud underneath her making the scent of muck and mold stronger. She grimaced and pinched her nose, had the village always smelt so repulsive after so much rain? She didn’t understand how she had not been so bothered all the previous years.

 Shaking the thoughts from her head she stopped at the house Sooki lived in. Biting her lips she scanned the building, there was a single window with a candle lit up. Was that Sooki? Did she know she was coming? Hyunsu easily jumped up and grabbed onto the branch of the tree beside their house. With ease that resembled the Fae enough to scare the villagers, she swung until she was able to jump to a higher branch and pull herself up onto it. Shaking her shoulders to ease her growing nerves she tried to climb the tree higher.

 Hyunsu grimaced as she failed to reach the next branch, the tree branches in the village were staggered more than the ones in the village. So that only left scaling, she looked at the trunk apprehensively, she had always failed when she tried to climb the trunk, even with the pants they had given her. Now she was wearing a dress, she didn’t see that going well. So, she decided to look around. Her only option was to jump higher, and so she did. She barely managed to grab the branch and pull herself up. Breathing out she pulled herself onto the roof.

 She took that moment to stand upright and stare out towards the forest. She couldn’t see anything, not a single light, or a body moving in the darkness, maybe they really were leaving her. Maybe she would not go back, but she shouldn’t really care. Right?

 Hyunsu shook her head and walked to the edge of the roof and tapped the window that had a lit up window with a branch she had decided to break off of the tree at the last moment. The window opened and Sooki look out. The first place she looked was up at Hyunsu. ‘Sooki,’ Hyunsu smiled weakly down at her long-time friend.

 ‘Hyunsu, what are you doing up there?’ An amused smile curled at her lips, Sooki asked why she was up there, yet it was the first place she looked for her. ‘Get in here before you hurt yourself.’ She waved Hyunu closer to the edge where she was able to, albeit slowly, lower herself into the room. ‘You are supposed to be at home,’ Sooki said as she hugged Hyunsu to her tightly.

 ‘I know,’ Hyunsu hugged her back just as tightly, relaxing in her friend's grasp. She breathed in the fresh scent that she had always associated with Sooki, she had always thought Sooki smelt like forest, but now that she had been there, she knew Sooki smelt nothing of the sort. She still smelt earthy, but not like the fragrant mix of bark, rain, and flowers that she was so used to. ‘I don’t know what to do.’

 ‘What’s wrong,’ Sooki ran her fingers through Hyunsu’s tangled hair that had some leaves in it from her expedition in the trees so she could get on the roof.

 ‘Is everything different, or am I?’ Instantly tears started flowing down Hyunsu’s cheeks.

 ‘Do you think nothing has changed since you have left?’ Sooki’s melodious voice soother Hyunsu’s frayed nerves, helping her to relax since the first time she had come back. ‘Do you think time stops when you’re not here? The villagers have changed, as have you.’

 ‘But,’ Hyunsu sniffed and pulled away, letting Sooki guide her to the chair. ‘Everyone’s so, angry.’

 ‘So are the Fae,’ Sooki sat down beside Hyunsu. ‘With their hunts,’ the last word wasn’t in the human language, but Hyunsu recognized it instantly as the one that Sungyeol refused to explain to her. ‘And their scouting. They look for trouble, that’s all they want. Nothing more.’

 ‘What does that mean?’ Hyunsu looked down at her hands.

 ‘What?’ Sooki folded her hands in her lap, looking at the wall in the sparse room.

 ‘Hunt, what does it mean?’ It felt strange to her, to be able to switch between languages for her questions. She was so used to stumbling through awkward body movements and shaky grammar in order to ask her questions.

 ‘Hunt?’ Sooki instantly said it’s human equivalent, and watched as Hyunsu fell into a pensive silence. It made sense why they never told her, but if she were to be honest, she had guessed the meaning. She had purposefully ignored the truth because she knew that it would remind her of what the Fae really were. Corrupt, bloodthirsty versions of Nymphs.

 ‘Can I,’ Hyunsu closed and looked away from Sooki with flushed cheeks. If she were to be honest, she felt confused and all she wanted was a hug and to have as much bodily contact as possible, but how could she ask that? She couldn’t even ask her mother for that without feeling awkward, so how could she ask that of Sooki?

 ‘What was it like?’ Sooki hugged Hyunsu, understanding what the young girl needed. ‘How did they treat you?’

 ‘They treated me well, not that anyone would have understood if I told them. They were understanding, even when I couldn’t understand them, or them me. The only ones that caused trouble were Dongwoo and Hoya, they were always quick to challenge me or push me as hard as they could.’ Hyunsu went quiet as she leaned against Sooki, relaxing more and more as she spent time in her friend’s presence. She felt good, it was good to finally be able to express herself and what she had been through without fear of adverse reactions.

 ‘What did they do?’

 ‘Well, Dongwoo always called me mean nicknames, nobody ever told me what they meant, but I knew they weren’t good. He scoffed whenever he could, and he always laughed when I couldn’t understand the books he made me read. But, it just made me work harder. Hoya was supposed to teach me how to fight, but it seemed more like stress release,’ Hyunsu trailed off as she spoke, not even noticing when she slipped into Nymphean.

 ‘I bet you did well,’ Sooki ran her hand through Hyunsu’s hair again.

 ‘I did, because all we really did was throw stuff,’ Hyunsu sighed as she spoke. ‘L was going to start me with the bow next week, before letting Hoya teach me the rest. But I guess that won’t happen.’ Sooki remained silent, ‘I was excited. It seemed like they were becoming kinder. But Woohyun never changed, he was neutral, he’s always been neutral. He treated me well but it was more out of fascination because I was raised by humans. He never really thought anymore of me, and he still doesn’t.’ Sooki didn’t comment on Hyunsu’s wording, on how she was talking as if she herself weren’t human. Instead she continued to listen, ‘Sungyeol, Sungjong, and L were always the nicest, even if L was cold in the beginning. He’s always been the easiest to talk to, L has, even when we didn’t know the same languages.’

 ‘There are always some people who are more attuned to each other compared to the other people they know.’ Sooki spoke slowly, her voice was a calm, soothing drone that calmed Hyunsu’s nerves.

 ‘I miss them, but I missed here too, when I was gone.’ She said the last part slowly, as if she couldn’t fully understand her surroundings.

 ‘You’re just confused,’ Sooki ran her fingers on Hyunsu’s forehead, as if making sure she didn’t have a temperature, before her palm raised ran up her forehead and onto her skull, running her fingers through the young girl’s hair again. Hyunsu closed her eyes, breathing out softly as Sooki’s fingernails lightly scraped against the top of her head. ‘It’ll be alright, but, after tonight, you can’t come and see me.’

 ‘What!’ Hyunsu sat up straight and frowned at her old friend, her eyes were burning with confused betrayal. ‘Why? Why is everyone restricting us? Why can’t we see each other? You’re the only one I’m comfortable with!’

 ‘That’s why,’ Sooki pressed her palms against Hyunsu’s cheeks, her skin was cold, like fresh well water against Hyunsu’s flushed face. ‘You’re one of them, and you’re interested in someone like me. They’re scared that I’ll corrupt you. They don’t want to let you go.’

 ‘Neither do they, right? They think you’ll assist them?’ It was obvious to the two when They went from the Humans, to the Fae. There was almost a palpable difference between the meanings. Hyunsu’s nose flared as she breathed out, she was past angry. She was furious, she didn’t know why she felt so upset, she couldn’t be angry. Instead she should be happy to be home, happy to be away from the Fae.

 ‘It’s silly, isn’t it. They would never touch a disparate like me. They consider us soiled, unfixable. They see people like me as failures on their part,’ Sooki closed her eyes and sighed, releasing the lightest of breaths.

 ‘Maybe, but I know the sons of the local balancers. They would see it as a failure but I also know that they would fight to bring you in if you wanted to them to. They are passionate Nix,’ Hyunsu was unaware of the small smile that bloomed on her face as she talked about them. ‘They believe full heartedly in family, and connections. They would never turn down a lost seed,’ the words that came from her were not full of Human jargon or metaphors, instead, Sooki could see the influence of the Fae. She could see the use of nature in metaphors, and the concentration on family that was detrimental to her kind, no, to the Nymph kind. She couldn’t, in good conscience, call herself one of them again, not after she had lost her essence. Not after what she had done.

 ‘Hyunsu, I don’t want to go to them. They are not my family, I have my duties, I am married.’ Hyunsu bit her tongue and shook her head as she breathed out through her nose, she just wanted Sooki to be happy. She didn’t want her to be ridiculed and ignored by the humans. ‘We believe in loyalty, and as one binded to my husband, I will be loyal to him. I will give him my all and treat him right. He’s not a bad man, my husband has always treated me right, and I know I can trust him. I don’t focus on the thoughts of the people here, instead I focus on the thoughts of the people that I care about.’

 ‘That doesn’t make it any more fair,’ Hyunsu muttered, ducking her head as she rubbed her forehead.

 ‘I know,’ Sooki sighed and Hyunsu focused on her. The firelight from the candles, and the little fireplace in the corner lit up the old Nymph’s features with a flickering amber glow. In that instant, it felt as if Hyunsu was finally seeing Sooki, seeing every part of her.

 Her eyes, that Hyunsu had always claimed were dark brown, suddenly seemed to show their true golden selves. They were bright, and full of coherency, wisdom was what made them glow so brightly, despite the candles. Her lips were full, yet they looked limp, from being persed so constantly, it seemed as if they didn’t know how to relax. Her cheekbones were high, but instead of making her face angular, they served to make her cheeps more plump. Her face wasn’t as perfect as she had once thought, Hyunsu could see faint blemishes that looked almost like little scars, and there were faint indents that hinted to wrinkles. She looked so tired, like the life she had lived had been hard, yet her vitality, the thing that had always made her look so perfect, was like a pure aura that made her shine more than the humans in the village.

 ‘Have I always been so blind?’ Hyunsu blinked quickly, as if closing her eyes for longer than a millisecond would send her back to her obliviousness mindset, where she couldn’t see who Sooki really was.

 ‘No,’ Sooki’s lips curled into an amused smile, and her eyes crinkled, making her wrinkles stand out, ‘you’ve always been young. Even when you were young, you saw more than most.’

 ‘How old are you really?’ Hyunsu’s nose wrinkled in confusion, if she had to guess, Sooki looked like she was in her early thirties. Just old enough to look mature and able, but young enough that she couldn’t possible have any impressionable body problems.

 ‘Some say that you should never ask a lady her age,’ Sooki’s eyebrow arched just the tiniest bit. ‘If you have to know, I’m in my sixties,’ Hyunsu scoffed and shook her head.

 ‘No, I hardly believe that you’re sixty.’

 ‘You always said I was old enough to be your grandmother, you happen to be right.’ Sooki laughed, fully enjoying the shock that was on Hyunsu’s face. ‘We age differently from humans,’ she ran her fingers through Hyunsu’s hair again, making her relax into the couch again.

 ‘Do we?’ Hyunsu smiled and laughed, joking when she insinuated that she was also youthful and had the abilities of a Nymph.

 ‘Perhaps,’ she chuckled before sighing from content.

 ‘Can you tell me some stories?’

 ‘What about?’

 ‘I don’t know, what about fables? L told me the story about the Sea Nymph and the Mountain Nix.’

 ‘I see why he would tell you that story,’ Sooki nodded and hummed softly, ‘I can think of some that I can tell you. Have you ever heard of the Sea Dragon and the Nymph?’

 ‘No,’ Hyunsu shook her head and Sooki nodded.

 ‘Then I’ll tell you,’ Hyunsu smiled and watched Sooki as she spoke, telling another story that Hyunsu could tell that she would love.


 

 The two had stayed up most of the night, exchanging stories, Sooki’s were fables that Hyunsu was more than eager to listen to, and Hyunsu’s were about her life with the Fae. Her stories sometimes caused her older friend to tear up, she could only assume that it was because it reminded her of her former life. Hyunsu only slept, for a little while and it was only when the sun was just about to rise. If she had not been blurry minded from being tired, she would have realised that it was around the time that the Fae recouperated.

 Hyunsu woke up to loud yells and cheers, as well as movement as Sooki stood up, putting the book she was reading down. ‘What is it?’ She rubbed her eyes, watching as Sooki opened the window and looked out.

 ‘It’s here,’ Sooki beckoned for Hyunsu to get up, and so she did, though with a grimace. She realised as she stumbled to Sooki’s side, that she shouldn’t have been leaping around to get to Sooki, at least, not with the wound she had on her leg.

 ‘What’s here?’ Hyunsu bumped into the ledge of the windowsill and stared with unfocused eyes down into the village streets.

 ‘Look,’ Sooki pointed to the gates that were opened wide to allow a small caravan entrance, the caravan consisted of three carts, six horses (two drawing each cart) and at least fifteen people.

 ‘Merchants? Really?’ Her voice pitched higher in excitement, as if she had never been with the Fae, she fell upon her ingrained pleasure of arriving supplies. ‘How? Why were they let through? The last two didn’t make it.’

 ‘I’m guessing they were busy,’ Sooki nodded to two bodies that were being carried by the merchants. Hyunsu felt open as she stared at the blood stained sheets that were wrapped around them.

 ‘That’s why they let them pass?’ She looked away from the bodies. ‘To send a message? What kind of-’ Hyunsu trailed off as she stared at the two people who were carrying the limp bodies.

 ‘What is it?’ Sooki placed her hand on Hyunsu’s shoulder, and lightly rubbed her fingers into the stiff muscles. Hyunsu opened to speak, but her words were unable to form as the merchant who was closest to her looked up and met her eyes. Instantly she felt her body warm in shame and her lips curl into an embarrassed smile. She raised her hand warily before sending him a shaky wave. She could see his lips open with a scoff, and his dark eyes roll as Hoya looked over at L who merely smirked and kept his gaze set firmly on the ground. ‘Ah, I see,’ Sooki chuckled as she rested her elbow on the windowsill, and her chin upon her palm, focusing her eyes on the two Nix. ‘You bonded with them rather quickly, don’t you think?’

 Hyunsu remained silent, but in that instant she suddenly made sense of why her parents had wanted her to marry Hyoheon. It was all a pathetic attempt to keep her at home. They valued her presence over her happiness. She didn’t blame them. She did, however, blame herself for not realising how dedicated the Fae were to those they accepted in their lives, and how hard they would fight to keep them there. ‘No, I don’t think I did,’ she finally whispered as she stepped away from the window. After all, six months was a long time.