A Collision of Worlds

Once Upon a Fairytale

Kyungsoo is led by Tao into the infirmary, which is mostly deserted save for a few poor souls coughing painfully in their sleep.

          Glancing out the window, Kyungsoo realizes that it is now light out, the sun already beginning to creep its way over the forested horizon.

          “What time is it?” He asks Tao as he is led into a separate room in the back of the infirmary.

          “It is but eight in the morning.”

          “Wow, time sure flies when you’re concussed.”

          “Time is but an arbitrary creation and can be altered by those who know how to manipulate it.”

          “What?” Kyungsoo asks, completely confused at the talk of time manipulation.  “Time travel doesn’t exist outside of movies like ‘Back to the Future.’”

          “What is a movie?” Tao questions, skating over Kyungsoo’s disbelief of time alteration.

          “You know, a movie.  Like, uh, a bunch of moving images on a screen that tell a story. Sometimes it’s people, sometimes it’s an animation,” Kyungsoo flounders, never having thought that he would have to explain to anyone what a movie is.

          “Like a play?”

          “Sure, like a play, only it’s not performed live.  You watch it on the t.v. or in the theater.”

          “T.V.?”

          “You know what, never mind, it doesn’t matter.”

          Tao shrugs his shoulders noncommittally as he busies himself preparing the room for Kyungsoo.  After he finishes with his preparations, he gestures for Kyungsoo to take a seat on the bed.

          “I’m Kyungsoo by the way,” Kyungsoo says, ing out his arm for a handshake as he perches himself on the end of the hospital bed.

          “Tao,” he offers, smiling back at Kyungsoo and shaking his hand firmly.

          “So Tao,” Kyungsoo begins, “care to tell me what the hell is going on here?”

          “I know not what you mean,” Tao responds confusedly as he takes a seat on a chair next to the bed.

          “Like, why the hell do I feel like I’ve been transported to some medieval world?  I know that there isn’t a Renaissance Faire anywhere in my woods, so what is this place?  And how have I never found it before while playing in the forest?”

          “You know Kyungsoo, sometimes things happen for reasons that we ourselves do not know.  Perhaps you have come here for a reason.”

          “Yeah, but, where in the world is here?  It’s like no place I’ve ever been before.”

          “The world holds many mysteries, and not all are for the likes of us to unwravel.”

          “Stop being so vague!” Kyungsoo shouts out, frustrated.  “Will you please just take me home now?”

          “Kyungsoo, I fear that home will not be as easy to find as you may think.  The links between worlds are tenuous at best, it may be a long while before you are able to return to your own.”

          “Wait, are you suggesting that I have actually been transported into another world?  What are you smoking, and can I please have some?” Kyungsoo is exasperated and more than a little disbelieving at all the talk of time manipulation and inter-world travel.  Tao seems only able to answer in ambiguous statements and it’s really taking its toll on Kyungsoo’s already spinning head.

          “How else would one explain what seems to be happening to you?  Kyungsoo, you speak differently from us, you dress differently from us, and you speak of things that are unheard of anywhere in this world.  I do believe that for a reason we do not yet know, you have been sent to us.”

          “That’s ridiculous!” Kyungsoo lashes out.

          “You dare to speak to Tao in that manner?” comes the deep and stern voice of Yi Fan.  Kyungsoo whips his head around to see him in the doorway, but is unable to focus as the room spins around him.

          “You musn’t move your head in that way, Kyungsoo,” Tao says gently as he helps Kyungsoo to lay down.  “Your head is in poor condition at the moment, you must get plenty of rest and practice the art of moving slowly.”

          “Yes Tao,” Kyungsoo sighs as his dizziness subsides and he is once again able to look properly at Yi Fan.

          “Tao, have you gotten anything from him while I was absent?”

          “Yi Fan, I do believe that our friend Kyungsoo here is from a world very unlike our own.”

          “What do you mean by those words?” Yi Fan questions, pulling up a chair for himself and placing it adjacent to Tao’s.

          “It is the stuff of legends, and I never gave it much credit, but in the past it has been said that in times of great danger, the universe aligns in such a way that the paths between worlds becomes less, and through those paths come beings from other worlds.  These beings are said to be powerful enough to change the fates.

          “I believe that Kyungsoo has come from one of these worlds.  His coming is an omen, Yi Fan, one I feel must not be taken lightly.  Danger is upon us, though I do not know in what form it takes.”

          “Tao, you are speaking in riddles and fairy tales, these things cannot be true.”

          “Yi Fan, look at him for yourself.  It is clear that he is not from our world by his dress and his manner of speaking.  We must not take this lightly.”

          “So you are attempting to tell me that our kingdom is in danger and the only way it can be saved is by this, this child?” Yi Fan spits, gesturing towards an indignant Kyungsoo.

          “I am not a child!” he yells, attempting to sit up again.  “And I certainly don’t have the ability to save your damn kingdom, so leave me the alone,” he pouts, crossing his arms across his chest.

          “See what it is that I mean?” Yi Fan begins.  “This boy does not have the power to save whatever danger threatens our peace!”

          “Yi Fan! These are not the words I speak!  I do not say that Kyungsoo has the sole power to save our kingdom, I am merely saying that the decision to save or destroy the kingdom ultimately rests on his shoulders.”

          “Tao, how can we trust this boy to make the right choice?” Yi Fan is fuming.

          “Yi Fan, it is rude of you to speak of him in such a way.  He is but two years your junior, the same age as myself.  I wish for you to apologize to him.”

          “Yeah, Yi Fan, apologize to me,” Kyungsoo pouts again.

          “You do not have permission to call me by that name,” Yi Fan glowers dangerously at him.  “I am the heir to the throne and will be treated as such.”

          “Yeah, well, as has already been established, I’m not actually a member of your kingdom, so I don’t really give a flying as to whether or not you’re the heir to the throne.”

          “The words you speak to me could be considered treasonous, I would tread lightly if I were you, Do Kyungsoo.”

          “Whatever,” he huffs in reply.

          “Tao, see to it that he does not run, I have more pressing matters to attend to,” Yi Fan orders as he saunters off.

          “Do not pay him any mind,” Tao begins softly, “the pressures he faces cause him to behave in such a manner, he is in reality a very kind person.”

          “I’ll believe that when I see it.”

          “And so you shall,” Tao smiles at him softly.  “But in the meantime, it is imperative that you rest yourself, your head really is not well,” Tao gently pushes Kyungsoo's shoulders so that he is once more laying down.

          “Sleep, Kyungsoo, I will be here when you wake.”

          “Thanks Tao,” Kyungsoo smiles tiredly before slipping off into a restless slumber.