A Witch in the Dungeon

Once Upon a Fairytale

When Kyungsoo regains consciousness a second time, it is to find that he has been chained up with his arms over his head, the weight of his body making it feel as if his arms are going to be ripped from his sockets.

          “What the actual is happening right now?” he calls out angrily, having noticed that Scary Tall Man is seated on a stool a few feet away from him, staring at him intently.

          When his question garners no immediate response, Kyungsoo decides to take a look around him.  The walls are all made of a dark grey stone, the floor also made of a lighter grey stone tile.  The air is chilly and damp, making Kyungsoo grateful that he is still wearing his hoodie.  There are no windows in the room, and the only source of light comes from a few torches spaced evenly along the walls, their flickering firelight reflecting against the moisture clinging to the stone.

          Shivering slightly at the foreboding atmosphere, Kyungsoo once again looks at his captor, deciding on the spot that he is being held prisoner by a lunatic.

          “Who the are you man?” He questions, annoyance clear in his voice.  “I mean seriously, who the hell has a dungeon?  Jesus Christ! What the hell is ing going on right now?”

          Suddenly the man flies out of his chair, pressing a knife against Kyungsoo’s soft throat, his scowling face invading Kyungsoo’s personal bubble.

          “Do not utter your curses at me, witch.” He spits angrily into Kyungsoo’s face.

Losing all his bravado now that he once again has a sharp blade against his neck, Kyungsoo sighs, drooping into his restraints.  “Look, fine, I’ll stop swearing.  But seriously, do you mind telling me what’s going on?  I have no idea why you’re holding me hostage, but if it’s for money or whatever, I hate to tell you, but my parents aren’t going to be able to give you enough to pay your college tuition or anything.”

Retracting the knife, Scary Tall Man withdraws to his seat, once again glaring at Kyungsoo from a distance.

“I do not require the tainted money of a witch!” he spits out angrily, fixing Kyungsoo with a look so fierce that he feels all of his blood run cold in his veins.

“Why do you keep calling me a witch?  Why am I here?” Kyungsoo questions quietly, suddenly finding himself on the verge of tears.  “I want to go home.”

And now his tears really do spill from his eyes, flowing hot down his face and landing with quiet plinks against the flagstones beneath him.

A look of uncertainty flickers briefly against his captor's face before he once again steels himself with an angry look and shouts, “Listen here you witch, your false tears will get you nowhere with me!”

This only causes Kyungsoo to cry harder until his whole body is wracked with sobs and he really does feel that his arms are going to rip off.  “I d-don’t know what you’re t-t-talking about!” he cries out, ashamed at his own weakness but unable to do anything about it.

“You cannot fool me foul creature, I know the crafty ways of your kind.”  But despite the surety in his voice, the look of uncertainty returns to his face.

“I’m not a witch, what are you even saying right now!?” Kyungsoo yells out, angry once again; angry at himself for his weakness, and angry at this sword-bearing stranger who kidnapped him and strung him up.

“If you are no witch, then what is with the strange clothing that you are clad in?”

“What the are you talking about!? You’re the lunatic dancing around in full plate armor as if you’re in the ing medieval period of Europe!”

“It is not wise to say such things to the one bearing the blade,” the blonde man threatens, once again stepping close to Kyungsoo and playing with his knife for him to see.

“Look, I’m sorry, okay?  You’re not a lunatic, you’re completely sane.  Can I go home now?”

“I think that you are not taking this seriously enough, heathen.  I would not speak to me in such a manner if I were you.”

“What do you want from me? Please tell me because I have no in’ clue.”  Kyungsoo is desperate, willing to say anything now to get himself out of this situation.

“First, I would like you to tell me from what coven you hail.”

“Who even talks like that?” Kyungsoo questions brashly, momentarily forgetting to be afraid.

“Answer the question.”

“I don’t come from any ing ‘coven,’ okay?”

          “So you practice your magic alone?  That makes you even more dangerous.”  He draws nearer with the knife held proudly in his hand, the blade gleaming in the firelight.

          “How many times do I have to tell you? I’m not a witch, I can’t do magic, I don’t even know what’s going on.  One minute I’m out in the woods in the rain, and the next I’ve got your ing sword jammed into my neck!” Kyungsoo yells out indignantly.

          “How can I trust your words?  I know witches to be conniving and crafty, how am I to believe that you are not just trying to lie your way out of my hold?”

          “My name is Do Kyungsoo, I am a straight A honors student who has never gotten in trouble, ever.  I am horribly sarcastic, but I don’t typically lie.  I play the clarinet and bake brownies in my free time.  I read obsessively and I get too wrapped up in video games sometimes to realize how much time I’m spending on them.  I’m an only child and my mom yells at me for not spending enough time with her, which I am regretting quite a bit right now because I am afraid you will never let me out of this hell-hole.

          “Is that enough, does that answer your questions?  I’m not a witch.  In fact, I’m pretty sure magic isn’t even real, though I’m not gonna’ lie, I’m still waiting for my letter from Hogwarts letting me know I’m not actually a muggle.”

          “What language are you speaking?” the man asks, a hint of confusion more than present in his eyes now.

          “The same language you’re speaking.  Why, never hear of Harry Potter?” Kyungsoo rolls his eyes as he answers.

          “Listen devil, if you are trying to cast a spell over me, rest assured you will be killed.”

          Kyungsoo groans loudly in frustration before speaking.  “I am not a witch, nor am I a devil or a heathen.  I am a human ing being at the ripe ole’ age of nineteen.  And I really want to go home; I have to get up for school in the morning and if I’m falling asleep in classes, I will not be happy.”

          “Let’s pretend for a moment that I believe your words, why then, would you be wearing such attire as that?”

          “Jeans and a hoodie? I was walking in the woods, what else should I wear?  Plate armor seems a little ridiculous, don’t you think?”

          “You think me ridiculous?” The anger returns to his voice with these words.

          “I think this whole situation is ridiculous!  Look, will you please just let me down and we can discuss this like civilized humans?  My shoulders hurt something fierce.”

          “If I let you free from your restraints, you will simply run.”

          “I pinky promise you that I won’t.”

          “Do what?”

          “I never break pinky promises, they are sacred to me.”

          “Can I trust these words Do Kyungsoo?”

          “Look, you said my name! Good job.  And of course you can trust them, I have no reason to lie to you.”

          “Alright, but heed these words, if you try to make your escape, my sword will be plunged through your heart faster than you can scream.”

          “Fair enough,” Kyungsoo shrugs to the best of his abilities through his restraints.  “Now please get these blasted things off of me.”

          Scary Tall Man unhooks a key from his belt before reaching up to unlock the cuffs around Kyungsoo’s wrists.

          As soon as his arms are free, Kyungsoo finds himself unable to keep himself upright and immediately crashes into the man who just freed him, knocking them both to the ground with a solid crash.

          Groaning, Kyungsoo rolls over off of the man under him and rubs at his shoulders.  Opening his eyes, he sees blondie gracefully right himself and look down at him imperiously.

          “Do Kyungsoo, was that an ill-conceived attempt on my life?” He questions as he reaches his hand for the hilt of his sword.

          “Sorry,” Kyungsoo groans out, continuing to lay on the unforgiving stone, “I just am not feeling myself at the moment.”

          “Perhaps I ought to summon the physician?” Scary Tall Man inquires, seemingly worried.

          Kyungsoo smiles at this sudden change of pace, nodding his head in acceptance as he leans his head back and closes his eyes with a drawn out and exhausted sigh.