3.

Little Star

Chapter 3

 

The very next day, Byul woke up with a very bad headache. She got up from her bed and headed straight for the showers. Once she was done, Byul rummaged through her medicine box, looking for some sort of painkillers or paracetamol for her throbbing headache, "Hyeri, do you any paracetamol?"

"I don't think so. Why?" questioned Hyeri who just came back from getting her mails.

"This headache's killing me. I'll just get some after lecture."

 

Lecture had never been this hard on Byul. With the throbbing headache and her lecturer's constant nagging, Byul finds it hard to concentrate. Slumping back into the big red chair, Byul closed her eyes for a few seconds. That few seconds soon turned into 15 minutes. Byul woke up when she felt someone shaking her body, "I can't believe you got away from sleeping in lecture."

"The perks of being small sized," said Byul jokingly as she kept her laptop inside its cover, "Do you have classes still?"

"Extra theory classes since I messed up on my report. You should head back and get some rest."

"I'll go to the pharmacy first. See you later okay?" with that, the two friends went on their opposite ways.

 

Taking the elevator to the first floor, Byul quickly made her way to the pharmacy to get her medicine. Passing by the Arts School, Byul took a shortcut to the Applied Science School where the pharmacy was located at. She noticed how relaxing the atmosphere here was as compared to the Business School. Students were seen lazing around on the lawn singing and playing the guitar. Along the pathway, a crowd was formed as they witness a dance battle.

If someone were to do that in the Business School, he'll be dead by now. Byul thought to herself.

When she finally remembered her main purpose, Byul fastened her steps as she made her way to the Applied Science School.

"Good afternoon! How can I help you?" Greeted the medical student at the counter.

"Do you have anything that could help ease my headache?"

After a short consultation with one of the professor around, Byul finally got her medicine. Thanking both the professor and student, Byul left the pharmacy and headed back to her dorm for her much needed rest.

==============

"I'm quitting the club," That was the first thing Yoongi said when he saw Jin.

The older boy simply laughed it off before fixing his attention back to the game he was playing.

"Hyung I'm serious!" Whined Yoongi as he slumped into the couch beside his friend, Jimin, "That girl's crazy okay? I only asked her to adjust the brightness and she went ape on me."

"What girl?" asked Jimin.

"Byul? Our Han Byul went ape on you? Very funny Yoongi," said Jin, not believing whatever Yoongi told him, "Unless you do something to piss her off."

"Byul?" said Taehyung, the boy sitting beside Jin, "You mean THE Ice Princess?"

"Ice Princess? You know her?" quetioned Yoongi.

"Of course I know her! She is Jungkook's half-sister. We lived in the same neighbourhood and after knowing her for years, I rarely seen her smile. She always have this cold expression on her face."

Jimin threw a pillow at his same-aged friend as he shook his head, "Ya, that's not nice. Byul noona took care of you when you got beaten up by those gangters. Remember? "

"Of course I remembered! I'm still thankful for her even till this day. But, you have to agree when I said she's cold."

Right at that moment, Jungkook walked into the room, still in his bright yellow uniform, "She's not cold, just extremely shy."

The room fell into dead silence when they noticed the sudden change in Jungkook's voice. Jin threw Taehyung a hard stare as he cleared his throat,  "Either way, you're not quitting the club and I expect the both of you to resolve your misunderstandings and start working on those photos."

==============

Byul tossed and turned in her bed as he tried to sleep off the headache. Giving up on her sleep, Byul sat up, ruffling her long hair.

*Knock, knock* Byul stared at door, thinking who it could be at this timing. 

"Noona," she heard a faint but familiar voice.

*Jungkook?* She thought to herself.

Byul quickly got off her bed and opened the door, only to see her brother, still in his uniform, carrying a duffle bag, too big to be his school bag, "Jungkook? What are you doing here? How'd you get in?"

"I told the guards you're my sister and they let me in," replied Jungkook.

Byul looked at the younger boy, not believing his words.

"Okay fine, I sneaked in," Jungkook revealed the truth as he sat on the couch.

"What's up with the duffle bag?"

"I ran away fron home," he simply replied.

Byul couldn't believe her ears. Her 17 years old brother just ran away from home, something she never would've imagined.

"Why?" she asked.

"Just because."

 

Not wanting to probe any further, Byul allowed Jungkook to stay for a while before bringing him to her own house which was nearer to his school. 

The two siblings ate as they waited for Hyeri to come back from her lesson.

"Noona," Jungkook broke the silence, "Are you mad at me?"

Putting her chopsticks down, Byul looked at her younger brother, "Why should I?"

"Because I broke our promise. I didn't listen to Dad and rebelled against him."

"I understand. It's just a phase which you'll soon get over."

Jungkook nods his head in understanding, "Have you ever rebelled against Dad?"

"Countless of times, not that I'm encouraging you."

Jungkook smiled his first smile for the day, "What'd you do?"

"Well, I remembered when I was 15, I had to attend a party with Dad but I went to grandma's instead."

"I bet he was furious."

 

Byul thought about the event from 5 years ago and she couldn't help but to smile, "He was but then grandma scolded him for forcing me to attend such parties when I'm only 15."

"What was I doing at that time?" Jungkook, not aware of it happening.

"Probably out playing with your friends or sleeping in grandma's room."

 

It was already 9 in the evening when Hyeri finally came back. The said girl was taken aback when he saw Jungkook fast asleep on Byul's bed but his sister was nowhere to be found.

"Byul? Where are you?" Hyeri called Byul's phone.

"I'm at the small Café with my Dad. Is Jungkook awake?"

"He's dead asleep. Hurry back before he wakes up."

Hyeri hanged up the call as she looked between the duffle bag and the boy. Shaking her head, she placed the bag neatly on the couch before heading into the toilet to wash up.  

Why are the both of you so alike in so many ways?

==============

"Why did he ran away?" Byul questioned his father.

"He saw the divorce papers," replied her father.

Byul let out a heavy sigh at the mention of the divorce, "How?"

"Last night, he was looking through his mother's things and saw the documents.  He thought she left because of those documents. He confronted me about it and when I told him the truth, he thought I was lying. This morning, he left home early for school and when I checked his room, he's things were gone and I figured he'll look for you."

"So you didn't bother searching for him? What if he didn't come looking for me? What if something bad happened to him because you presumed that he'll come to me?"

"Taehyung," said her father, "I told him to call me if he sees Jungkook and he did. Byul look, I'm sorry for what happened okay? I didn't think he would see the papers."

Byul shook her head in disappointment, "You shouldn't have kept those papers in the first place. You should've thrown away her things. You know what Dad? I'm tired from all these dramas. Until the day you're brave enough to tell Jungkook what really happened, don't come looking for us."

With that, Byul left the café and head straight back to her dorm. Little did she know that someone had overheard her conversation with her father.

"Hmm...interesting."

==============