V.

Butterflies and Flowers That Bloom

 

V.

It is not easy, Krystal thinks as she faces Sulli after what she had done yesterday, to talk to your friend about someone you like.  Sure, other girls will have it on easy to talk but Krystal has never been the other girl and so she doesn’t really know how to start or what to talk about even because this will be her first heart-to-heart talk with Sulli about a boy. A boy they both like.

The thing that makes it harder for Krystal to inform Sulli about her admiration with Taemin is that she may break. Sulli has always been the strong one despite her frail and child-like looks. When Amber left for America because of her injury, Victoria broke down, Luna didn’t talk for quite a while and Krystal was ashen for weeks. Sulli was depressed too but she was the one who stood up, stomped her foot on the ground and told them it was time to smile and work their asses off so when Amber comes back, they will be a much better band.

As she looks at her now, Krystal cannot help but think that maybe—just maybe—she’s the one who will break. The look on her friend’s face is tough and perceptive as if she knows what will come and how it will end. Maybe she already has it all figured out and she doesn’t need to explain anymore. But she will anyway, because this is how it is supposed to be: Krystal is the mean, ungrateful friend and Sulli deserves the happily ever after. 

Sulli sighs heavily and rubs eyes wearily before giving her a pointed look. “Where were you yesterday? Taemin oppa and I were looking all over the place for you. After you left… we both got worried. Why did you run out in the first place? Did something happen between you and oppa? Do you want to talk about it?”

“Sulli, I—“ Krystal swallows the lump stuck in and looks at the girl across her straight in the eye. Once she started, there is no more turning back now. “There’s something I need to tell you.”

Sulli frowns, still worried. “What is it?”

Okay. Okay. This must be done. Soojung—you can do this. You’re Jung Soojung, sister of Jung Jessica. What would she do if she was here? Right! Jessica would tell Sulli that she likes her boyfriend. I mean there’s nothing wrong with liking my friend’s boyfriend. And I’m being honest here it’s not like I meant to fall in love with him. It’s just that he has this thing whe—

“Soojung?”

“IlikeyourboyfriendI’msorry!” Krystal half yells and Sulli is almost startled by the sudden rush of her friend’s loud voice.

“I’m sorry, what?”

Oh crap. Why did she say that?

“I said,” Krystal clears . It’s now or never. Gathering her courage and whatever else she has left, she repeats once again. “I like your boyfriend, Sulli.”

“Again, what?”

The young Jung grunts and scowls at her friend. “Oh my God Sulli. What the hell is wrong with you? Are you deaf? I said, I. Like. Your. BOYFRIEND!” 

Sulli looks appalled, like she wants to grab a rock from the ground and knock Krystal’s head with it, asking ‘hello, is anybody in there?’. In all honesty, she has no idea what Krystal is talking about. When had she gotten a boyfriend? And hadn’t she known it? “But I don’t have a boyfriend.”

“You don’t have to lie, Sulli. I already know. I’ll try to be happy for you.”

“Wait, what? What’re you saying, Soojung? I really have no idea what you’re telling me because as far as I can remember, I’m not in a relationship.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Yes, you are. You’re in a relationship with Lee Taemin, are you not?”

“What?” Sulli’s mouth parts in half. Staring wide-eyed at Krystal, she asks once again. But the younger one doesn’t say anything and she sits in raging silence. Has she heard right? Does Sulli think she and Taemin are in a relationship? But that’s stupid and impossible and whaaaaaat? What the hell? Taemin and Sulli? Oh my—and then she bursts into fits of laughter. Several heads turn in their direction and Sulli tries hard, like really hard to hold in her mirth even though it’s the last thing she doesn’t want to. She doesn’t really care about how Krystal is reacting right now because she’s sure it’s full of fury.

“What’s so funny?” Krystal questions with a wary look. “Sulli stop laughing! I’m serious here!” This prompts the other girl only more, seeing Krystal’s grave face. It takes Sulli three minutes to calm her laughter down. It takes Krystal all her might not to walk out from her.

“Sorry, oh my, sorry Krystal.” Sulli stifles a chuckle. “You just said something really funny I couldn’t help it. Me and Taemin oppa? A couple? Where’d you get that crap from? Because I’m telling you, we’re not a couple. Never ever.”

“You’re lying.”

Sulli raises a brow. “Am I, Soojung?”

Krystal doesn’t answer because they both know what the answer is. Krystal can read Sulli better than anyone else and the same goes for Sulli reading Krystal better than anyone except for Jessica. Sulli almost never lies and when she does, she wears a sly smile on her face but now, she is looking at Krystal straight in the eye.

Defeated, the black-haired girl sighs and frowns. “I don’t understand. You guys act like lovebirds whenever I’m around. It’s not like we’re not allowed to date but you guys are so insensible about being seen together in public. It’s possible you guys are dating.”

“Or not because we’re just friends. I mean friends can talk in public you know. There’s no need to be so secretive about it. Unless…”

Krystal raises a brow.

“Unless, you’re in love with your friend..?” Sulli grins and the other scowls. She places her chin on her palm, leaning on the table and tapping a finger on her chin. She looks at Krystal for a long time, observing. Finally, Krystal snaps.

“What!”

“You should tell him.”

“Tell who what?”

Sulli rolls her eyes. “Don’t play dumb. You know who I’m talking about.”

“Don’t want to.” Krystal mock-sings.

“Scared?” The Choi grins.

is about to form the word ‘no’ when she stops herself. Sometimes, lying comes to Krystal like a second nature. She doesn’t have any good reason to lie most of the time, only when she wants to escape from something or when she needs to make fun of someone. She isn’t really proud of this bad habit of hers but sometimes it saves her the trouble of explaining.

But right now is not the time to lie. It is time to be honest, for the truth to come out because what else can she lose besides pride? Pride can lead her to her own downfall in the end. Gritting her teeth, she answers, “Yes.”

When Sulli smiles this time, there is no mocking or playful mark. There is only happiness and encouragement and gentleness in her eyes. Krystal softens at it a little. “It’s going to be alright, Soojung. You don’t need to be scared.”

“How do you know? It’s not like you’re the one who’s going to confess and get rejected.”

Sulli opts to say something but thinks it’s not probably wise to do so. Smiling one last time before she takes a sip of her drink, she answers, “I just do.”



 

Author's Note:

Finally updated after two months. :D

Next one we'll be good! Hehehehehehe.