III

Butterflies and Flowers That Bloom

 

“Krystal?”

Oh .

The last thing Krystal wants to see is—

Everyone hears the soft click of the door opening then closing and the horror on Krystal’s face cannot be hidden. “What are you doing here, Soojung? And why are you crying?” Onew is slowly approaching the crowd gathered on their group’s living room. His face is in a worried and curious manner and Krystal knows that face. In a matter of minutes (or seconds dear god), he will be calling her sister, Jessica, and she will be flying in their doorstep and shake Krystal out of her wits and demand her who made her cry.

“—yeah, uh-huh, I don’t know she just started crying—yep, okay—yeah, see you in twenty. Be careful—I get it, I’ll take care of her. Bye.”

“Was that unnie?” Krystal asks in between her ragged breathing. When Onew has the decency to confirm it with a nod, she seethes. Her hand touches something. “UGH, oppa! You’re such an idiot!” She then flings the brown dog plushie towards him. It hits his head and she hears a, “Hey that’s mine!” from Jonghyun and a startled “Eeeek!” from Onew.

“What was that for?” Jinki mutters confusedly, rubbing his face.

“Why’d you call unnie!” She whimpers, glaring at her sister’s boyfriend with teary eyes. “Ugh, seriously I’m dead! She knows!”

Slumping beside the younger Jung on the couch, SHINee’s leader sighs and asks her again. “She knows what? Why were you crying Krystal? If you can tell us before Sooyeon arrives then maybe you won’t get into much trouble.”

Krystal weighs her options. Telling her these oppas what happened will really help her and teach her how to handle the situation but on one hand, they may go and beat the out of Taemin, SHINee member or not. Taemin’s readjusted face will make her mood lift up, thought it won’t really help SHINee with their recent promotions. Groaning, Krystal chooses to not tell them. And she really wanted to see Taemin’s beaten face the next time they see each other… Guess she isn’t going to get what she wants. Not yet at least.

 

So the five of them, Jonghyun is lying on the cold floor (“Hey Jjong! If you want to get sick then might as well go outside and freeze to death, wearing only your boxers!” nags Key) and playing with Jinki some video game (“He’s going to beat you again, Jonghyun hyung.” tells Minho snidely). Minho is perched beside Krystal, watching Jonghyun get beaten again for the second time of the night (“In your face.” Tongues Jinki) and occasionally, throwing glances at the girl on his side. Key is somewhere making something in the kitchen so when Jessica arrives they can all eat dinner.

When Jinki’s phone vibrates and rings and he steps out for a second, Krystal prepares herself. What to say, how to say it… It doesn’t help the fact that her usual dense sister hides her sharp perception. One slip and she will be found out. To be perfectly honest, she is -scared. Not because Jessica will or tell her it’s never going to work out but because Jessica will worry; and Krystal doesn’t want that. Her big sister is busy as it is with her tight schedule and she doesn’t want to trouble her with any of her small and trivial affairs.

“Soojung?”

Krystal looks up from her thoughts as Minho smiles gently beside her and she can’t help but paste a fake smile. She does it even though he would probably see through it.

“You okay?” He inquires.

The dark-haired girl manages to nod her head. She’s not looking at him anymore because if he looks at him, she will probably blabber and say her deepest darkest secrets. It’s always been like that with Minho. She becomes way too honest and easy-to-read in front of him. It’s probably because she used to have a crush on him but realized she only liked him because she wanted a big brother before. Minho and she has always been the closest anyway—like best friends.  

But he doesn’t know about Taemin. No, no—Krystal will not allow Minho to find out about her little adoration with SHINee’s youngest member. Especially if said admiration is close with him too.

“I know there’s something up, Soojung. Don’t regard me as stupid.” Minho says coolly, impassively.

Krystal sighs in defeat. “I don’t think you’re stupid, Minho oppa. A little weird but definitely not stupid.”

Snorting, he ruffles Krystal’s hair (earning him a scowl from the little girl) and says, “Okay, Jung. You tell me when you’re ready.”

“Yeah.”

The door bell rings and Minho says, “I think they’re here. I’ll go get the door.”

Krystal shrugs and as she hears the door unlock, she breathes deeply. It’s now or never, she thinks. She listens to her sister’s voice and she’s a little calmed but when she hears what she says, it leaves Krystal speechless. Not just her though.

“I bumped with Taemin on the way up. Where’s Soojung?”


Author's Note:

WHY DO I KEEP ON PROLONGING THIS ONE. LOL. And this was short. I know you guys love me. :)


DIRECTORY