II

Butterflies and Flowers That Bloom

 

Krystal can never hate Sulli even though technically, she is hurting because of her. Sulli has always been there for her. The twin she never had. Always listening to her useless rumbles whenever Luna and she would fight over something stupid. It makes her relieved Sulli isn’t irritated to the point where she would want to smack Krystal’s head in the wall. If their roles were reversed, she would have done that. But Sulli is kind and caring and thoughtful and just—perfect (it makes Krystal’s heart a little too tight) so really, if Taemin would date any girl of her choice, Krystal would pick Sulli (save for herself of course). She is, after all, Taemin’s soul mate.

“Soojung-ah~” Sulli whispers to a sleeping Krystal in the couch. The sleeping girl groans as she tries to push away the other girl so she can get her daily nap. But Sulli is persistent, always has been, and she shakes Krystal violently in the shoulder.

The former lying girl is now sitting, scratching her head irritably. Sulli is grinning so very wide at her with cute dimples and a full smile. “What do you want, Jinri? Ugh. God, you are so annoying.”

“Am not.” Sulli says, smiling at her widely. “Listen—since manager oppa isn’t around… should we play outside? We haven’t been out for the longest time!”

The Jung girl raises a brow. Now, Sulli may be persistent and a little bit childish but she is never the type to break rules. Sulli is the good student and Krystal is more of the disobedient kid. It was more of her genre to do reckless stuff.

Seeing the ready ‘no’ on Krystal’s lips, the Choi girl pleads. “Please, please, please Soojung! I swear we’ll be back in an hour or two! Let’s just go to a noraebang or an arcade! Please, please, please— I’ll buy you your favorite cake! Please, please—“

“Alright! Alright! Sheesh, pushy much?” Krystal sighs and Sulli jumps happily, skipping towards her room to change. Krystal can only wonder how they can be able to go out without getting recognized.

 

“You planned this all out, huh?” Krystal deadpans, glaring at Sulli. They are out in the streets and have stopped in front of a café. A few minutes later, a sun-kissed Taemin, sporting a baseball cap and scarf emerges from the inside. He makes way towards them and stops, grinning.

“Oh come on Krystal, I’m not a bad company!” He says sincerely.

Krystal just rolls her eyes and ignores him as she crosses her arms disapprovingly at Sulli. To say that she was furious is an understatement, because she’s beyond angry at the moment. When Sulli invited her out, she thought that it would only be her and the girl. Sulli and Krystal. Not Sulli, Krystal and Taemin. It’s not that she doesn’t want Taemin there (when she saw him, her heart—the traitor—had danced and leapt in joy); she finds it irritating that Taemin has to be everywhere Sulli is. It… hurts.

“Soojung-ah, I’m sorry! I thought it would be more fun if we all come together. Taemin oppa had no schedules too so… Sorry. I thought it was okay with you!”

The Jung just sighs. “It’s fine. Whatever.”

 

Krystal sighs in frustration as she watches the two lovers in front of her as they battle it out in a singing competition. Taemin is hitting higher note than the supposed note needed but he doesn’t seem to mind his carelessness even though, technically, he is a singer. Meanwhile, Sulli is trying to sing but her fit of laughter is getting in the way. Obviously she loves Taemin’s sense of singing.

“Hey Soojung~ Join us! Why are you sulking alone there?” The blonde boy is coming towards her now, extending the microphone towards her. He is smiling and Krystal couldn’t help but bite her lower lip as she try to suppress to smile. She’s believed to be brooding.

“No. Go away Taemin oppa.” She retorts, shifting so Taemin could sit beside her. He plops himself comfortably and heaves a sigh. Krystal resumes on watching Sulli sing like there’s no tomorrow, throwing quick glances at Taemin’s face while she’s at it.

He looks so serene with a small smile on his face, also studying the cute girl. He is thoughtful and caring and almost--- like he’s in love. Krystal clenches her fist, soothing her aching heart. She shouldn’t be jealous or even be mad at Sulli for the matter. It’s not like her friend is at fault with her infatuation towards the boy. Going to the bathroom to wash her face and cleanse her mind, she is stopped by Taemin’s calming voice.

“You know, I don’t think it’s that hard to relax. Jinri… she’s trying to cheer you up. She told me you looked like you were down for weeks now. She specifically chose this day to ease whatever hurt you’re feeling right now.” Taemin isn’t still looking at her but she feels like she’s sweating under the intensity of their atmosphere.

“If she’s worried, she should just ask.”

“I think she has tried. You’re just being too difficult.”

Frowning, Krystal responds sharply. “Difficult? I’m being difficult? I’m sorry but I don’t think you know me that well to assume I’m being difficult.”

“I don’t need to be acquainted with you well to know that Krystal.” Taemin is facing her, his gaze content with no malice or whatever judging eyes like other people. But she can’t help it. In front of her, the boy she likes is telling her all the bad reps she has and she’s losing hope now. She may not have the chance to be with him because he doesn’t like her that way.

“Shut up!” Krystal yells, standing up angrily. Sulli stops with her singing to look at the two. “Just shut up and leave me alone! Who are you to tell me of my faults? Who are you to tell me that Sulli is worried sick of me? Oh right. You’re her boyfriend. Well I’m sorry to make your girlfriend worry about me when she should be ogling at your handsome face! If you guys wanted to be alone so much then you shouldn’t have brought me here!” She’s grabbing everything and her eyes are blurry and prickling and her chest is really, really in pain. She dashes off the karaoke bar, leaving Sulli shouting her name and a frozen Taemin.

 

Somehow, Krystal ends up in SHINee’s dorms.

She knows she shouldn’t be here because at any moment Taemin might enter and find her here but—she just doesn’t know where she should go. One second she bumped into Minho’s broad chest and the next thing she knows, she’s in his car being deposited in the arms of Key.

“What’s wrong, Krystal? Why are you crying?” Key asks, cradling the crying young girl. The blonde is beyond shocked to find a weeping Krystal with Minho; he always thought his same-aged friend has a soft spot for the youngest Jung and would never hurt her so… what was up?

Key gives a pointed look at Minho, who just shrugs and settles himself on the couch beside Jonghyun.

“Who did this to you, Soojung? If you tell me his name, I might pound him to a good measure for you. I might even convince Jinki hyung and Minho to tag along so we can beat this little mutt for you! Just give me his name and I’ll take care of it.” Jonghyun tells her.

Key snorts and rolls his eyes at him. “Shut it, Shorty or you may find yourself beaten up by me instead. Now let her talk because god, she’s trying to ruin my favorite shirt with her salty tears.” He is playfully pulling her off him and receives a slap in the shoulders from Krystal because of that. “I was kidding! God, women can’t take jokes!”

“So? What happened?” Minho suddenly inquires after breaking his long silence after colliding with Krystal at the company building. He is measuring her quivering lip and swollen eyes. Something is wrong with her and Minho is going to know what it is.

“It’s—“ She is cut off by a familiar voice and she freezes in her place.

“Krystal?” 


DIRECTORY