Sleep

Life As We Know It

Daehyun 8 months
Youngjae 1 months

Sleep

Himchan stirred from his sleep when he heard the cries from one of his sons. He opened his eyes when he realized that the cries were coming from the baby monitor instead inside the room. He reached over and turned down the baby monitor so that the cries wouldn't wake anyone else. He sat up and looked over his shoulder. Yongguk was sleeping, unfazed by the cries. He couldn't really blame his husband; Yongguk had just came back from the studio and had been working nonstop for the last couple of days. Despite having a newborn, Yongguk wasn't able to lessen his load at work when the company was expecting their boy group to make a comeback with in the next month.

Himchan got up from the bed and walked over to the bassinet that their newborn, Youngjae slept peacefully in. Himchan had decided to have Youngjae sleep in their room for now being that their eldest, Daehyun was still having trouble sleeping throughout the night. Himchan didn't want Youngjae to wake up from his sleep whenever Daehyun cried. But that didn't mean that Youngjae slept through the night either. Both of his sons were on different sleep schedules; one would wake up because they were hungry or they needed their diaper changed and just as Himchan would put that baby back to sleep, the other one would wake up for the same reason.

Himchan walked out to the kitchen and quickly made Daehyun a small bottle of formula before walking back to the babies room.

“Is my Daehyunnie baby hungry?” Himchan asked as he picked up the baby from his crib.

He walked over to the rocking chair and sat down, situating a burping towel underneath Daehyun's chin to catch any formula that might dribble down. Himchan yawned as he fed his eldest son. He looked over at the clock in the room and hummed when he saw that it was two in the morning. He was pleased that this was the first time Daehyun had woken up all night. Youngjae on the other hand had already woken up three hours before and was probably going to wake up again.

It was a good thing that school was on a break at the moment so he didn't have to suffer trying to teach a class with a few hours of sleep.

When he noticed that Daehyun had finished his bottle, he placed the bottle on the side table next to him and placed Daehyun on his shoulder. He lightly patted Daehyun's back so that the baby could burp up any air that he might have in through the bottle.

“Come on Daehyunnie.” He said as Daehyun started to fuss. Daehyun some times had trouble when it came to burping.

Himchan got up from the rocking chair and walked around the room, still patting Daehyun's back. Himchan smiled when a burp came out of his son.

“That's my boy.” Himchan rubbed Daehyun's back.

Himchan checked Daehyun's diaper and noticed how saggy it was. He walked to the changing table and pulled out a new diaper, making sure it was Daehyun's and not Youngjae's small ones. He quickly changed Daehyun's diaper and scooped him back into his arms to place him back into his crib. The moment Daehyun touched the cribs mattress, the baby started to cry. Himchan grabbed the pacifier and placed it in his son's mouth only to have Daehyun spit it out.

“Daehyunnie, don't do this.” Himchan pleaded with his son. “You need to learn to fall asleep without me.”

Himchan knew about the method of letting a baby cry themselves to sleep and he knew that it eventually worked. He had been able to do it with Daehyun a few times but now with a newborn, it was too much noise for Youngjae to sleep through. At least that's the excuse that Himchan told Yongguk whenever his husband would catch him rocking Daehyun to sleep.

Finally giving in to his son's cries, Himchan picked Daehyun up and carried him on his shoulder. The baby stopped his crying almost instantly. Himchan walked to the rocking chair and sat down, positioning Daehyun so that the baby could rest comfortably on his chest. Slowly, Himchan rocked them both while softly humming a lullaby while rubbing his back.

Himchan watched as Daehyun slowly closed his eyes. He knew that this was something that he shouldn't make a habit out of; he didn't want Daehyun to get used to falling asleep this way. It would just make it harder for them now with Youngjae. Himchan couldn't do this with Daehyun every time and care for Youngjae at the same time. But Himchan couldn't bare the sound of his son crying. It broke his heart every time he would let Daehyun cry himself to sleep.

Himchan checked to make sure Daehyun was fast asleep before getting back up from the chair. As gently as he could, Himchan placed Daehyun down in the crib. The baby instantly started to squirm at the lost of his Daddy's warmth. Himchan silently prayed that Daehyun wouldn't cry but the prayers went unheard as Daehyun's cries filled the room again.

Himchan picked the baby back up and cradled him in his arms. Once again, Daehyun stopped his cries.

Himchan groaned when he heard Youngjae's cries from his bedroom. “You're supposed to wait until this one falls asleep Youngjae.” Himchan said out loud.

He looked down and noticed that Daehyun was wide awake and babbling to himself. “And you were supposed to go back to sleep after that bottle.” He said to his son in his arms.

Himchan walked out of the bedroom with Daehyun still in his arms. He sighed in relief when he saw that Yongguk had woken up to care for Youngjae.

“Thank god you're awake. I didn't know how I was going to handle these two at the same time.” Himchan said as he walked into the room.

“Let me guess, Daehyun wouldn't fall asleep unless you were holding him?” Yongguk asked as he walked out of the bedroom with Youngjae in his arms and Himchan following right behind him. “We've talked about this Channie.”

“I know, but it breaks my heart to let him cry like that.” Himchan moved Daehyun up higher so he could kiss him on his head.

“It breaks my heart too but he's going to expect it every time.” Yongguk said as he fixed Youngjae a bottle of formula. “Don't worry Youngjae, Appa's making you your bottle.”

When the bottle was ready, they walked out to the living room and sat down on the couch. Yongguk pulled out the burping towel that he made sure he grabbed in the bedroom before coming out to make the newborn a bottle. He situated the towel underneath crying newborn's chin before placing the bottle into his mouth.

Both of the parents sat on the couch, Yongguk feeding Youngjae and Himchan rocking Daehyun back to sleep while humming the same lullaby from before. Yongguk turned his head to look at his husband. He smiled at the sight of Himchan swaying slightly with his eyes closed and Daehyun slowly falling back asleep.

Himchan opened his eyes, feeling like he was being watched. “What?” He said softly.

“Nothing.” Yongguk's smile didn't falter as he turned back to Youngjae.

 

Himchan softly laid a sleeping Daehyun down in his crib. He crept back out of the bedroom, slowly closing the door. He walked back to his bedroom, happy that he was finally able to go back to sleep. Youngjae had fallen asleep after he was fed and burped. If Yongguk and Himchan were lucky, they would be able to get a solid three – maybe four – hours of sleep. Which sounded like heaven to him at the moment.

He crawled back into bed, next to Yongguk who was waiting for him. Yongguk wrapped his arm around his husband's waist. They both shared a kiss before settling into their pillows to the welcoming sleep. Both groaned when Daehyun's cries were heard from the baby monitor.

“Himchan you can't.” Yongguk tightened his grip on his husband's waist, not allowing him to go to their son.

“But he's going to wake up Youngjae.” Himchan replied as he grabbed Yongguk's arm to push it away from his waist.

“He's not going to wake up Young-” Yongguk was cut off when Youngjae started to cry in his bassinet. Himchan gave him the I-told-you-so look that only Himchan could give. Yongguk sighed in defeat. “Fine. I'll get Daehyun. You get Youngjae.”  

 


Just another night in the of BangHim.  lol.  Two babies under the age of one means no sleep for the parents.  I wonder if they ever ended up getting sleep...

Please subscribe and upvote, if you haven't.  And leave me your comments.

Til next time lovelies~