No Candles

Life As We Know It

Daehyun 5
Youngjae 4
Jongup 3
Junhong 2

No Candles

 

“No!” Junhong yelled at his Daddy when Himchan tried to get him into his pants. The curly haired boy squirmed out of Himchan's hold and ran out of his room in only his shirt and diaper.

Himchan groaned. “Junhong! Get back here!”

'No' had recently become their maknae's favorite word. He said it to whoever was around, butting into conversations and answering back to anyone who asked him a question. Himchan and Yongguk were used to their children getting infatuated with certain words once they started learning the meaning of them. From calling everyone “stupid” to saying “hi” every five minutes, they had become used to it. Junhong's love for the word “no” was far better than when Daehyun had accidentally learned the word “” when Himchan had said it in front of the toddler. From that day, Himchan and Yongguk had been very careful at what they said in front of their babies.

“Junhong!” Himchan walked out of the maknaes' bedroom and down the hall in search for his little one. He heard Junhong yell “no” to someone. He smiled when he saw his husband grab the pantsless baby. “Nowhere to run to now Junnie~”

Yongguk held the baby in his arms so that Himchan could slide the pants on Junhong. The baby kicked his legs around so that his Daddy couldn't clothed him.

“No!”

“Ha! I got them on you!” Himchan said triumphantly. “Thank you Gukkie.” Himchan said before giving his husband a quick kiss on the lips.

“Can't have the birthday boy running around without any pants.” Yongguk said as he lowered Junhong to the ground.

“Ew!” Youngjae said as he walked in between them. “Hyunnie, Appa and Daddy were kissing!”

“EEEEWWWWWW!” Daehyun said as he appeared from his and Youngjae's bedroom. “Kissing gives you cooties!”

Not only had Junhong started his love for “no” but Daehyun and Youngjae had started to express their disgust for affection, especially when their parents kissed. Cooties were apparently running rampant in their school and the parents were the ones suffering from it.

Himchan raised an eyebrow. “Oh yeah? So does that mean if I kiss you, you'd get cooties too?” He asked his eldest son.

Daehyun's eyes widened. “No Daddy, I don't want cooties!”

Himchan inched closer to Daehyun with his hands out as his eldest backed away. Junhong appeared in front of Daehyun, his hand held up in the direction of Himchan's face. “Dada no.” He said, trying to stop his Daddy from giving his hyung cooties. Or at least that's what Daehyun thought.

“Come here mister.” Himchan scooped Junhong into his arms and covered his face with kisses.

“Jongup,” Yongguk called out to the older of the two maknaes who was sitting on the living room floor playing with his building blocks. “It's time for lunch.”

Jongup looked up at Yongguk and smiled brightly. Daehyun scowled. “I thought we were having cake.”

“We're cutting Junhong's birthday cake after we have lunch.” Yongguk said much to his son's disapproval.

The family of six sat around their table eating the lunch that Yongguk had prepared. Yongguk and Himchan both agreed to have a quiet celebration for Junhong's 2nd birthday. It's exactly what they did for their other three sons for their birthdays. It was easier and less stressful for them. They didn't have to plan, prepare or cater to their guests. It was something that worked with their busy schedules.

“Umma, can I sit with you?” Jongup reached his hands towards Himchan, asking for his Daddy to take out of his boaster chair. Himchan reached over to Jongup, who was sitting next to him and brought the toddler to sit on his lap. Himchan moved the toddler to his left side so that he could eat while Jongup sat on his lap. He slid Jongup's food in front of him so that the boy could eat.

Daehyun and Youngjae ate as fast as they could in hopes that it would make the cutting of the cake happen sooner. “Boys slow down.” Yongguk said as he put more food in front of Junhong, who had dropped some his food on the floor.

“But we want cake!” Youngjae said with his mouth full of food.

“Youngjae, manners.” Himchan said to his second eldest. “And the cake isn't going anywhere. So you can eat slower.”

Despite what their Daddy had said, Daehyun and Youngjae were the first ones to finish their lunch. Yongguk was surprised that how fast their sons could eat when they knew sweets were coming afterward. Normally it was battle getting all of the kids to eat their food. Most of the time none of them were able to sit still to eat their food. They would run around, play and come back to the table to get another bite or in desperate times, Himchan and Yongguk would have to chase them around with food making sure they ate.

Once everyone had finished their lunch, the cake was brought out of the refrigerator. The cake was a small 3-layer cylinder cake enough to feed the six of them. It was covered in baby blue fondant and decorated with masked bunnies that resembled Junhong's Totomato. The Totomato decoration was in a slightly darker blue fondant and it's mask and eyes were in a white fondant. 'Happy Birthday Junhong' was written in white icing.

“Toto!” Junhong said when he looked at the cake for the first time. He bounced up and down on his highchair.

“Do you like your cake Junnie?” Himchan asked the birthday boy, who nodded his head. Himchan grabbed Junhong from his highchair and brought him closer to the cake. Himchan stood him on the dining chair that was pulled up to the dining table. “Uh uh,” Himchan said as stopped Junhong from touching the cake. “You have to blow out the candles first.”

“I got some great candles for the cake.” Yongguk said as he placed two long, thin candles in the cake. He pulled his lighter from his pocket. “What?” He said when he saw that Himchan gave him a look for having the lighter. “I haven't been smoking if that's what the look is for. Having a lighter around comes in handy sometimes. Alright Junnie, let's light your cake.”

Yongguk lit both candles. Sparks came out of the lit end, as if the candles were fireworks. Daehyun's, Youngjae's and Jongup's eyes widened in amazement at the sight of the candles.

“Where exactly did you get these candles?” Himchan asked as he raised an eyebrow.

“The party store.” Yongguk said as he was also transfixed on the candles. “I asked the girl working there for special candles and this is what she gave me.”

“What happened to just regular candles?” Himchan asked.

A loud “no” brought Himchan and Yongguk out of their conversation. Junhong face was filled with horror. “No!” He screamed as he turned in his chair, raising his hands so that one of his parents could pick him up. He cried out to them as he jumped on the chair.

Himchan scooped the crying maknae into his arms. “Junnie what's wrong?” Junhong buried his face into Himchan's shoulder.

“Don't you want to blow out your candles Junhong?” Yongguk asked. Junhong shook his head against Himchan's shoulder.

“Umma.” Jongup whined as he waited with his two older brothers at the table for the cake to be cut.

“Junnie, come on you need to blow out your candles.” Himchan said as he tried to pull Junhong away. Yongguk help, grabbing the baby from his arms. He turned Junhong around and placed him closer to the cake.

Junhong screamed, his cried grew louder when he saw the candles in front of him. “Appa no.” Yongguk brought the birthday boy into his arms.

“It's the candles.” Himchan said, realizing what made his maknae cry. “Yongguk!” His eyebrows furrowed. “This is why you need to get regular candles. He's still too little for these sparklers.” Himchan said before he blew out the candles. He pulled them out of the cake and set them off to the side.

“The other three like the candles.” Yongguk said as he bounced Junhong. “Didn't you guys like the candles?”

“They were so cool Appa!” Youngjae bounced on his chair.

“Here you go Junnie. The scary candles are gone. Look.” Himchan said, as he took the birthday boy from his husband's arms. Junhong rested his head on Himchan's shoulder, his cries had turned into sniffles. “Do you want cake?” He asked the birthday boy who only nodded in response.

“We need to sing Happy Birthday first!” Daehyun said, stopping Yongguk right before the knife in his hands cut the cake.

“You're right we do.” Yongguk said, setting the knife down. “Ready guys? 1, 2...”

 


Got the idea for the candle part from one of my lovely Tumblr followers and Junhong's infatuation with "no" from my beta.  I liked them both so I decided to add them together.  Thanks to both of them for the ideas.

Next dravbble shall be the Halloween drabble and I'm finally getting to use a prompt that I got a while back.

Don't be shy about sending in requests of drabbles you want to see in future.  It might take me a while to write it but I'll write it!

Til next time lovelies~

Happy Birthday Junhong!