Year One

Life As We Know It

Yongguk 25
Himchan 25

Year One

Himchan stuck his hand out of the car window, letting it dance around the rushing air. A small smile spread across his face as the ocean came into view. He could smell the ocean air from miles away. He loved the ocean but he hardly ever went. Sure, there were beaches in Seoul and Incheon but none of them compared to the beautiful beaches of Sokcho. There was just something about these beaches that Himchan loved that he couldn't bring himself to go to the ones back home.

He looked back when he felt Yongguk intertwine their fingers together. His smile grew as Yongguk brought their intertwined hands to his lips, kissing the back of Himchan's hand as he kept his eyes on the road.

“The hotel shouldn't be too far from here.” Yongguk said. He let their intertwined hands rest in between them, occasionally running his thumb along the side of Himchan's hand.

“I can't wait to relax on the beach and take a dip in the ocean.” Himchan said.

“And go hiking in the mountains.” Yongguk said causing Himchan to whine. “Oh come on Channie,” He chuckled when he looked over at the cute pout on Himchan's face. “You told me that you'd go hiking with me.”

“Can we do it tomorrow instead of today?” Himchan asked. “I didn't even drive and I'm tired.”

“Um, I may need some convincing.” Yongguk said, tilting his head up so that his cheek was out.

Himchan rolled his eyes before shifting in his seat to lean closer to Yongguk and plant a kiss on his cheek. However, Himchan wasn't expecting Yongguk to quickly turn his head allowing their lips connect for a brief second before turning back to look at the road. Himchan glared at the sly smirk on Yongguk's face.

“We're here.” Yongguk said before Himchan could say anything.

Himchan turned to see the hotel that Yongguk had booked. Just by the looking at the outside of the hotel, Himchan could tell that it was one of those luxurious hotels. The hotel was one of the few beach front hotels that were in the town; a sidewalk separated it from the sandy beach. It took a lot for Himchan not to run out of the car and down to the shore to dip his feet in the water.

He immediately got out of the car when Yongguk parked. The faster they checked in, the faster he could get out in the water. They got their luggage out of the car and made their way to the hotel. He looked around the lobby as Yongguk checked them in, not really paying attention to what the lady behind the counter was telling Yongguk.

They quickly made it to their room on the fifth floor. Himchan snatched the keycard from Yongguk's hands and opened the door. He gasped when he saw rose petals spread across the bed and a bottle of champagne chilling in a bucket of ice next to it.

“Bbang, did you do all this?” Himchan asked, as he turned back to Yongguk who had a sly smile on his face.

He turned back and grabbed the note that protruded out of the bucket of ice and read it out loud. “On behalf of the hotel, we want to thank you for choosing us to celebrate such an occasion. Happy Wedding Anniversary.”

“Happy...First Year...Wedding Anniversary.” Yongguk furrowed his eyebrows and tilted his head. “Is it “first year” or just “first”?” He asked as he wrapped his arms around Himchan's waist.

“Does it matter? We made it through our first year of marriage without killing each other.” Himchan said as he wrapped his arms around his husband's neck. “So why don't we celebrate?” He asked before pushing them both onto the bed, scattering the rose petals around.

******

An irritated groan came out of Himchan's lips as he looked at his reflection in the small mirror he held in his hands. He looked at the new bites that left red stains on his once unblemished skin.

“You really got carried away on my chest this time. You know you're not supposed to leave marks on my skin.” Himchan said as he turn back to his husband, who was sitting behind him going through the tote bag they brought with them to the beach.

After their “celebration”, the married couple decided to take in the sun and swim in the ocean before the day was over. It was not too late in the afternoon and the sun's rays weren't as strong as they had been hours before when they first arrived. Even then, Himchan had set up an umbrella in the sand big enough so that it could cover him from the sun's rays.

“I thought you loved my love bites.” Yongguk said as he continued to look through the tote bag for the thing he was searching for.

Himchan snorted. “Love bites. Really Bbang? Well you know I can't have your “love bites” on my skin. At least not visible like this. My thighs are one thing, but not my chest. The modeling agency will kill me. I have a shoot this week.”

“It's not like you're going to be shirtless for that shoot, are you?” Yongguk asked. His eyes slightly widened when he found what he was looking for, pulling out a pair of swimming googles. “Found it!”

“I'm not. But still.” Himchan said as he put the mirror down.

Yongguk turned back to his husband. “It's not like you were complaining when I was doing it.” He said before lightly biting down on Himchan's shoulder. He rested his chin on top of Himchan's shoulder and whispered into his ear. “You like being my chew toy.”

Yongguk laughed when Himchan tried to elbow him. They were both startled when a ball landed on in front of them. A cute little girl with big doe eyes and high pigtails ran up to them.

“Sorry for my ball.” The girl said.

“It's okay.” Himchan smiled at her as he handed her the ball.

“Thank you.” She said before running back to where she was playing with her parents.

Himchan smiled to himself as the family played together. His attention was brought back to Yongguk when his husband stood up and extended his hand to him.

“Now how about we go take a dip in the water?” Yongguk asked.

Himchan took his husband's hand and followed him into the cool clear waters. Himchan screamed when Yongguk picked him up by the waist and tossed him into the water. They spent some time playing in the water, swimming and sharing sweet kisses. Himchan soon decided to get out of the water to avoid his skin from pruning. Yongguk however still wanted to stay a in the water a little more.

Himchan walked back to their stuff and dried himself off. He looked over and saw the same little girl from earlier sitting with her parents, laughing while eating a snack. Once again he found the same smile from earlier planted on his face. He turned back to see Yongguk waist deep in the water waving at him and his smile grew wider.

******

Himchan wanted to kill Yongguk. For the first time in a long time, he actually wanted to kill Yongguk. He wanted to wrap his hands around that long neck of his and squeeze. Squeeze until Himchan was satisfied with the occasional head banging like in the cartoons.

His husband was never one to sleep in late. Himchan knew that very well and he was okay with it, as long as Yongguk let him sleep. Today however, seemed to be the day where Yongguk forgot their agreement and woke Himchan up at five in the morning for their hike. They didn't leave at that very minute, mostly because Himchan was dragging his just to annoy his husband in return. Himchan got even more annoyed because Yongguk was not affected by it.

They didn't make it out to the mountain until a hour and half later. Although Himchan had agreed to come on this hike, he did not agree to being out here this early. He would have been fine coming out here at ten, nine even, but not at the crack of dawn. He didn't even get to have his iced Americano.

“Come on Channie, don't look so miserable. It's a beautiful morning.” Yongguk said a few steps ahead of him. He chuckled when his husband gave him the middle finger in return. “Look there's a rest stop not too far ahead, we'll stop there for a bit.”

Just as Yongguk had said, there was a rest stop for the hikers a few feet away. They sat down on one of the benches to relax their feet. Himchan took out a hand towel and patted the sweat off his forehead.

“Isn't it beautiful out here?” Yongguk asked before he drank from the water bottle in his hands.

“It is.” Himchan said, grabbing the bottle of water from Yongguk's hands. “And it would have been beautiful later on in the day too.”

“Sorry for disrupting your beauty sleep Your Royal Highness.” Yongguk teased, laughing when Himchan lightly elbowed him. “Look I'm sorry I woke you up so early. But the earlier we get this hike over, the more time we can spend exploring the town.”

“Yeah, yeah. I get it.” Himchan waved him off. He the bench and draped his legs over Yongguk's lap. He hummed when Yongguk started to massage his calves.

After a brief resting time, they continued on their way up the hike. As annoyed as Himchan was earlier, he had to admit that the hike's views were much more breathtaking than he had expected. When they made it up to the top, Himchan was taken aback at how beautiful everything looked from this high up. Their were a few other people up top with them but not a lot being that it was still so early. Yongguk and Himchan spent time taking pictures and goofing around.

Himchan turned to the sound of children's laughter. A small boy came into view, followed by his older sister and his parent's. The children laughed and ran around, their mother nagging them to be careful.

“What are you smiling at?” Yongguk asked, startling his husband.

Himchan turned to Yongguk and smiled. “Nothing.” He grabbed his hand and turned him around so that he could follow him. “Let's head back down and visit one of those cafes in town.”

They made it back down the mountain and ended up in the first cafe they spotted. Himchan was finally content when he was able to have his iced Americano. They ate at the cafe and lounged a bit more than they had initially intended to. They walked hand in hand throughout the town, stopping at little shops here and there. Yongguk was able to find a record player in mint condition that he promised the shop owner he would be back for being that they left their car back at the cafe. They both did some shopping in town not even noticing the time. It was early in the evening when they were able to go back to get Yongguk's record player before they headed back to the hotel.

By the time they made it back, it was far too late to go swimming which made Himchan pout slightly. Part of him still wanted to go swimming but minus the early morning wake up, today was perfect in his book.

Himchan threw himself on the bed and groaned. “Do you think we could reschedule our reservation at the restaurant for tomorrow? I don't think I can get up anymore. Everything hurts.”

Yongguk chuckled. “I'll call the restaurant and see if we can reschedule. Then I'll order room service.”

“Make sure they bring us wine.” Himchan lifted his arm up with his index finger in the air.

******

Himchan lightly swirled his glass of wine in his hands before taking a sip. He glanced over at Yongguk when he lowered his glass. His husband was busy eating the steak he had ordered while watching the movie that was on the television. They both sat in bed with the trays of food that room service brought up for them.

Himchan nibbled on his bottom lip. He placed his glass of wine on the night stand and moved his tray of food away from him.

“Guk?”

“Yeah?” Yongguk asked as he was still focused on the movie.

“Can you focus on me for a minute? Please?” Himchan asked, wanting his husband's full attention.

Yongguk turned away from the television to look at his husband; his eyebrows knitted with concern when he saw the uncertainty in Himchan's face. “Channie what is it?”

“So I've been thinking,” Himchan paused so he could take a breath. “The last five years with you have been a roller coaster. And this first year of marriage has been surprisingly miraculous. And minus the fact that I wanted to murder you this morning, I can't see my life without you. And well I've been thinking...I already said that, didn't I?”

“Himchan.” Yongguk put a hand on top of Himchan's, trying to calm his husband down from his little rant.

Himchan looked into Yongguk's eyes, a light blush staining his cheeks. “I want a baby.”

“Wait, what?” Yongguk asked, not sure he heard correctly.

“I...want a baby.”

Silence fell between the both of them. Himchan bit the inside of his cheek. This wasn't the type of reaction he was expecting. Yongguk should have been jumping for joy, not silent. It was scaring Himchan.

“Yong-”

Yongguk captured Himchan's lips, cutting his husband off. Himchan could feel the love and passion in Yongguk's kiss. This was the kind of reaction that he had expected from his husband. He had thought that Yongguk had gone back on his want for kids but this kiss was proving him wrong.

Yongguk pulled away from the kiss and rested his forehead against his husband's. “Are you sure about this?”

“Mmhmm.” Himchan nodded.

Yongguk sat back. “So what made you change your mind? I thought you didn't want kids until we were at least in our thirties.”

“I don't know.” Himchan shrugged. “I thought that having kids when we're in our thirties was a smart thing to do. We'd both have our careers set, we'd be much more stable than we are now. But after seeing all the families this weekend...I just started thinking what it would be like if we had a family already.”

“I'm not going to lie and say that I wasn't thinking about that too this weekend but are you sure this is what you want?” Yongguk asked.

“Yeah...yes I'm sure.” Himchan smiled as he realized just how sure he actually was. He hadn't felt this way since their wedding day a year ago.

Yongguk smiled his big gummy smile, completely overjoyed.

“And if you think about it, the chances of us having a baby now are pretty slim.” Himchan said.

“True. We'd have to find an adoption agency that's okay with gay couples adopting. Which can be pretty hard to find in Korea.” Yongguk sighed.

“We'll find one.” Himchan smiled. “I'm sure we will.”

Yongguk leaned over and captured Himchan's lips once again. “Once again, you've made me the happiest man on earth Kim Himchan. I love you.”

“And I love you, Bang Yongguk.”

 


I hope you guys loved this one.

It's sort of a special one mainly because today is the 2 Year Anniversary for Life As We Know It! /throws confetti/

When I realized that it has been two years, I wanted to write something different, something special and I thought, why not for the fic's anniversary make it Yongguk's and Himchan's wedding anniversary? So we can say that July 31st is the day Yongguk and Himchan got married in this AU.

I was actually planning on skipping to their 2nd wedding anniversary but my beta said, “why not write the moment they decide to adopt?” And being that I already have a timeline of when certain events happen in Yongguk's and Himchan's lives, I knew that I couldn't skip the 1st year wedding anniversary cause that's when they decided to adopt.

I do plan on writing the 2nd wedding anniversary before this time next year that way we'll be on track for the 3rd anniversary.

So yeah. The babies will return in the next update. It's just nice to see Yongguk's and Himchan's relationship before the kids came along.  Right?

Please subscribe and upvote if you haven't and don't forget to leave me your lovely comments.

Til next time lovelies~