Upset

In That Place Where You Are

“What do you mean you don’t know where we are! Ken! Please tell me this is a joke.” If the desperation written on my face wasn’t obvious enough, my voice definitely gave it away. I sink into the seat and with my face buried in my hands I try to think. There has to be some way to get off of this island.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t thinking…” he starts, and he gently grabs my arm.

“DON’T TOUCH ME KEN!” I scream at him, and that’s when I notice for the first time that he looks distressed. I’ve never seen him like this, not in the 10 years of knowing him, not ever. Then the look on his face changes and the vive I get from it tells me I’m not going to like this.

“Yeah I don’t know where we are, and you know what I don’t regret it! Because this way at least you’re not with him!”

“What?” He shoots me with the fire in his eyes, and I storm out of the house unwilling to hear anything else that he has to say.

“YEAH GO AHEAD AND LEAVE! GOOD LUCK GETTING OFF THE ISLAND! YOU’RE GONNA HAVE TO COME BACK MINHEE!”

I get far enough down the beach to where I don’t have to listen to his screaming. I sit under the shade of a coconut tree, thinking about what just happened.

I’m on an island, with my best friend who I kind of really hate right now. Not only do I not know where this island is, but I also can’t get off of it due to some weird invisible barrier thing. Are you kidding me? Invisible barriers can’t be real.

“No come back Nini!” I hear a boy yell a bit farther up the beach. He’s got blond hair, and he’s chasing after some small figure, a brown poodle that heads straight into the water and then bounces back.

Are you serious? I shake my head. Face it Minhee, you’re stuck on some island because of some invisible barrier and the only place you have to stay is that house.

Wait? That house?

I get up and run back to the house, and when I get there I stand outside of it.

This house isn’t a hut. It also doesn’t look cheap. In fact it’s nicer than all the houses back at home put together. Why is there a super nice house in the middle of nowhere? This isn’t a hotel, surely. From what I remember from a while ago, the inside is quite nice too, but why would an empty house be sitting out here in the middle of nowhere?

I’m really curious as to where we are right now, and why there’s a nice house with no one living in it. I go onto the porch and that’s when I notice it doesn’t just stay in the front, so I follow it, and it curves around the house and to the back, where I find a path. I go down the back porch stairs, and then down the sandy path in between what looks like a small rainforest. After traveling for about 2 minutes the path curves and then I discover it. The most beautiful town I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s as lively as Mokpo with children running around playing in the streets, families out eating in restaurants, shops filled with beautiful bright clothing.

This island look so undeveloped almost like it was a lost civilization as of a few minutes ago, but looking at it now it looks so modernized. They’ve got music playing.  There’s grocery stores, services like nail salons, restaurants, there’s even a hospital. They speak the same language, but what catches my attention the most is that they’ve got the latest fashion.

I look around the town for what seems like forever, and I hesitate before walking into a shop, one of the many clothing stores I’ve passed by. A pretty blond girl greets me from the counter. “Hello welcome! Please let me know if you need anything.”

I nod and I look around the store, there’s not two pieces that are the same color, even if they’re the same design, and now that I think about it, even the designs are so different. I come onto a pretty pastel green dress and my heart almost stops. It’s so pretty!

“Would you like to try it on?”

“Yes please!” my girly side takes over for a second, and she leads me to the dressing room. I step out back into the store where I find the mirror.

“It’s so lovely on you!”

“Dang it. You’re right. It looks really good on me. But I don’t have any money to buy it…”

The girl laughs. “You’re so funny! No one’s used money since 10 years ago!”

“Hmm?”

“What’s your occupation?” She asks, still with a smile on her face.

“Umm, I don’t have one.”

That’s when she looks a bit confused. “Wait, are you new here?”

“New? I mean I guess I’m not sure what you mean by that but…”

“Oh my gosh. I’m sorry. I didn’t know that you were new here! You can have the dress.”

“What?” I ask, confused.

Then she explains everything. This is an island, and island called Prism Island. They don’t know where they’re located but it’s somewhere off the coast of Korea. They’re a kingdom of about 5000 people. There is no money, but there is no poverty. Everyone lives a comfortable lifestyle. They all work, therefore you just walk into a restaurant eat food and leave, or walk into a store and take the things you want. Everything is perfectly balanced.

It scares me a bit. Why is this place so perfect sounding?

As if it couldn’t get any better, she offers me a job designing and making clothing.

“But what if I’m horrible?”

“You can’t be, it’s what you like doing no?”

“Yeah but what if I-

“The rule here is if you like it you’ll do it. It guarantees that everyone is great at their occupation, and that way it keeps the balance of the island.”

“You mean you can’t work in a job you hate?”

“No. We’re not allowed to work in something we hate, it’s probably the best rule King Hongbin has ever come up with.”

“King Hongbin?”

“There you are Minhee!” I suddenly hear Ken say. He pulls me out of the store and that’s when I pull his hand off my wrist.

“Would it kill you to be a bit nicer Jaehwan?”

“Would it kill you to tell me where you went? I’ve been looking for you the whole day!”

“Well maybe I didn’t want you to find me!” I say loudly and that’s when I notice the shocked look on people’s faces.

“Let’s go home Minhee, you’re making a scene.” He says softly and I follow him out of town, and back onto the path that brings us to the house. Inside he’s made dinner. “Eat before it gets cold.”

That’s the last thing I hear him say in a good while, when I suddenly recall the fact that you have to have some sort of job to get things like food and clothes. “Ken, how did you get this food?”

“I got an occupation.” He says naturally, almost as if the word didn’t feel awkward coming out of his mouth.

“As a doctor?” I ask.

He sets down the spoon. “No Minhee. As a singer.”

That means what he really wants, is to be a singer?

“You didn’t know did you?” He says with sadness in his voice.

“No I didn’t I thought that you wanted to be a doctor.”

“I did that so your parents would let me marry you.” He says and he gets up. “How little you actually know me, Minhee.”

“Wait where are you going?”

“To sleep. I’ve had enough of today.” He says before the door to the bed room closes with a loud bang.

I feel awkward eating alone so I don’t finish dinner. I sit down on the couch and look out the window and that’s when I first notice the castle farther up the beach, but its there.

The cold walls echo with Hongbin’s voice.

“We have new people?”

“You don’t believe me do you hyung! I saw them myself!” Hyuk says.

“Prince Sanghyuk is that any way to speak to His Majesty?” Leo comments on the side.

“No but…”

“Wait let him speak.” Hongbin says. “You said they were…. UPSET?”

“Yes hyung they were upset.” Hyuk spills.

“We must resolve this at once!” Hongbin says loudly.

A cough is heard from Leo, and they exchange looks.

“Well, I guess we could solve it in the morning.” Hongbin says.

“Good because I’m hungry and the food is getting cold.” Hyuk says before digging in.


A/N~ SUBBIES I AM SO SORRY BUT HERE YOU GOOOO ^^

Better late than never, no?