Moonlight

In That Place Where You Are

“You look lovely today Minhee.” Ken says to her.

“Oh gosh. Stop it Ken.” Minhee knows he’s just playing.

“No really you do.” He says and starts poking her. She slaps his hand away and they get into a tickle fight.

They stop at the sound of someone clearing their throat. They give each other a look and take their seats at the table.

“You daughter looks lovely Mrs. Song.” Jaehwan’s mother says.

“Oh no need to be so formal this really isn’t that serious.” Minhee’s mother says.

Oh it isn’t that formal? That’s why we’re in the best restaurant in all of Mokpo. Not serious? It’s why I’m wearing heels and a dress that looks too fancy for me anyways. Ken seems to be thinking the same thing as me, he gives me that look.

The food comes and we start eating. The meal goes smoothly and we even order dessert but when it comes, the feel of our table isn’t the same. It’s just me, Jaehwan, both of his parents and both of mine. The small talk and even work talk stops and this conversation that they seemed to have been avoiding suddenly comes up.

“What is it that we’re here for?” Ken asks, his expression suddenly changes to a serious one, different from his usual goofy self.

“Oh glad you asked we almost forgot.” My dad says and they all laugh but us.

“We’ve decided it’d be best if you two were to get married.” His dad says.

“What!” I almost choke on my drink and Ken gets up, patting my back until I’m okay.

“Honey you know we’re moving to America for your dad’s job and we also know you don’t want to go. This is the only way we can leave you here. Jaehwan is going to college to be a doctor, and we know you’re not getting anywhere with your designing so you need someone who can take care of you.”  My mother says.

“Yes and I won’t approve of anyone but you to marry my son.” Ken’s mother says.

 I set the cup down and walk out of the restaurant, onto the streets of Mokpo. I just couldn’t take it. Yes I don’t want to move to America, but I also don’t want to marry Ken. Marry Ken? That’s such a silly idea. I know he’s my best friend but I can’t marry him!

My phone rings and I just take the battery out. I just don’t feel like answering my mother’s call. Instead I head for the beach, where the warm ocean breeze makes me feel alive. I sit on the sand, not caring about ruining my dress, taking my heels off, letting my feet feel the sand.

I watch the people enjoying the last of the day as the sun is setting. Kids running around with kites, families playing in the water but then I decide it’s too loud. So I shake the sand off and start walking home.

Or not. I take a few buses and end up at the beach that’s a two minute walk from my house which more quiet and barren since it’s near the outskirts of Mokpo. The sun is long gone now. It’s just me, the sound of the waves and the moonlight. It’s almost a full moon. I can tell because everything has that beautiful moonlight glow.

I hear seagulls and their calls over to my left, surely fighting over some fish at the ports down the beach. As I turn my gaze back towards the ocean I get a glimpse of a beautiful boy with light colored hair, surely blond because the moonlight lights him up unlike anything I’ve seen in my life.

He’s just sitting there, starring up at the sky.  I look up and the moon has moved higher, reminding me that it’s getting late. I leave the beautiful stranger and the beach to themselves, and walk back home. Our car is there which means my parents are home, only I don’t feel like talking to them. I go in through the back door, and sneak around the living room to my room.

I quietly open and close the door; sure I didn’t wake up anyone. I turn on the lights and let out a gasp. Gasp because Ken puts his finger to his lips reminding me we need to be quiet.

“Damn it Jaehwan you scared me.”

“Did I?” He puts his hands on the side of him face and forms an O with his mouth.”

“Yah!”

He grabs an orange and brings it to his mouth, patting the seat next to him. I bite my lip, hesitating to sit next to him at first because I want to avoid the conversation but he grabs another orange slice and I’m scared he’ll finish them without me so I end up sitting next to him on my bed, he just chuckles.

Ever since I moved next to Jaehwan we’ve been eating orange slices late at night. His room is right across from mine and since there’s no fence between our houses he just walks right over and climbs in through the window which is usually open. He was my first friend here in Mokpo and he’s my best friend.

“Song Minhee.” He looks me in the eyes. “Why did you walk out of there?”

I just grab another orange slice in response.  “Minhee Song. That’s your name how they say it in America no?”

I get up, trying to avoid this conversation and he grabs my wrist, pulling me back on the bed. “Are you not going to tell me?” I sit there in silence, hoping he drops the subject. “Well? I guess I’m going to have to get it out of you.” He sets the bowl of oranges on the side table and then he starts tickling me. I try to keep from laughing, and I move further onto the bed trying to escape him.

“Stop. It. Ken. I. Can’t breathe.” I say between breaths.

“Are you going to tell me?” He turns his head sideways at me, making a funny face. I laugh again and it hurts.

“Yes yes I’ll tell you, now stop.” I throw a pillow at him and he holds it in his lap. “Pass me the oranges.”

“Okay, so now I want to know. Why did you walk out of there?”

“I don’t know… I tried to think of why… I mean. I guess partially because I was mad. I mean my mom just stated she doesn’t believe in my dream of being a designer. Don’t get offended, I know I can count on you for anything but isn’t it a little too much to get married. I mean really Ken we’re only 18. Don’t you have a problem with this?”

“No I don’t.” I’m shocked by his response.

“Why not?”

“I have my reasons but my point is I wouldn’t mind marrying you. I mean we’re best friends no? We’re going to be seeing each other forever. You could just go along with it and then a while after your parents leave you can go to Seoul like you always wanted and be a designer. You can divorce me. They won’t need to know.”

“Really?”

“You want to do that?”

“Yes.” I say hugging him.

He brushes me off right away, not looking at me, he stands by the window. “Then I’ll tell our parents….” He makes eye contact with me for a second and then looks away. “See you tomorrow Minhee.” And just like that he goes out the window.

But I didn’t see him the next day. Or the day after that. Even when my parents set the date for the wedding to be the following Sunday.

It’s Wednesday now and I haven’t seen him since then. He hasn’t come over.

“Hey are you mad at me?” I texted him.

It took him half an hour to respond. “No I’ve been working this whole week I’m sorry I’m tired. I’ll try to make it today okay?”

Oh crap. Work.

I grab my bag and run off, reaching the center of Mokpo in minutes. I walk into the coffee shop half expecting to be yelled at but nothing happens. Ravi is at the counter. “It’s slow and my mom’s not here you’re lucky.”

“What? Not even the guy who they send on office coffee runs?”

Just like he was being cued, the cute guy from the company down the street comes in.

“I guess everyone is late today.” Ravi says.

“The usual.” He says.

“Are they ever not going to send you?” I ask him, while preparing his usual 16 black coffees and 4 macchiatos, one with soy milk because their boss is picky beyond picky.

“The perks of being the maknae.” He says.

Ravi laughs. “You know what I’m feeling generous today you want anything to eat? It’s on me.”

“Really? Hmm… Let me get a brownie!”

“Here’s your 20 coffees the one for your boss is the one that’s on the far left.”

“Thanks guys!”

“Bye Jungkook see you tomorrow!”

He was about to walk out when Ravi yelled “Your brownie!” He set down the coffee on the table, ran back to grab it and then grabbed his 20 coffees and left once again.

“That kid is funny, I like him.” Ravi shakes his head in approval.

The day passes by pretty slowly, as do most jobs, but I don’t mind because Ravi is a good talker so he makes it fun. We’re about to close when a familiar looking boy with blond hair come in.

“Can I get a black coffee?”

“I got it.” Ravi says.

“Hey do you guys know how to get back to this hotel? I’m kind of not from here…”

“Which one?” Ravi asks.

He spits out the name of the street and I recognize it. Its a few blocks from my house.  “If you want I could help you get back.” I say.

“Hey are you sure you want to do that he seems a bit weird.” Ravi says pulling me to the side.

“No he looks fine Ravi.”

“Fine then suit yourself. We’re about to close right now anyways.” He points at the clock. 9:59. One minute.

Or not. The clock changes.

“You can go if you want. I can clean up by myself.”

“Okay then. See you tomorrow.”

“Oh you’re free?” the man with the blond hair says.

“Yeah. Shall we go?” He nods.

We’re walking and it feels amazing to be free from work, the guy is pretty cool too. “So what brings you to Mokpo?”

“I’m not sure really. I mean I came down here to think. Get some air.”

“Where are you from? You look a bit familiar…”

“Maybe because you were watching me yesterday on the beach.” He says smiling.

The boy in the moonlight? That was him?

“Oh sorry about that I didn’t mean to do that-

“It’s cute.” He laughs.

We reach his hotel. “Hey I know it’s a bit weird but since I’m here and I don’t know anyone else… would you mind showing me around sometime?”

“Yeah no problem. Then can I get your number?” my cheeks burn up, I can’t believe I just asked him that.

“Sure. It’s….” I hand him my phone and he gives it back to me, and then walks away.

“Wait what’s your name?” I ask.

He doesn’t turn around.

“Hakyeon. Cha Hakyeon.”


oh yes first update ^^ haha this is gonna be fun<3