[G.R.] ilovecakexD

§orarius★§hop || ARCHIVE
ilovecakexD
review
pickup

TITLE: Wonderlxnd Graphics
MOOD: Angsty
REVIEWER: sorarius
REVIEWED FOR: ilovecakexD

FIRST IMPRESSION & OVER ALL QUALITY (8.5/10)
At first glance, it looks so neat! I thought it was for a story at first. But judging by the title, ‘is this poster for a shop?’ Then I’m kinda stalking at your profile and found that this poster is indeed for a shop, kkk. I have to say that this poster is over all good, but for details I might elaborate more below.

 
RELEVANCE & THEME (7/10)
Actually, as the poster is for shop, it must be having some attachment with the ‘message’ that shop delivers so it might only be understood by the shop founder—or, this poster is been functioned only for the shop front cover. Thus, I think it somehow doesn’t really matter as the poster function is to gain some interests for the shop. However as you said that the mood was angst, I’m a bit confused because ‘angst’ theme is still too broad. Angst would mean fear, dread, anxiety—something conflicted complicatedly and I honestly didn’t really sense this kind of mood from this poster beside that the coloring is a bit dark and bold (and a bit from IU’s expression). Yet, ‘angst’ doesn’t always mean for the use of dark color. If I have to word your poster, I would say that the mood is ‘dreamy’ (if that’s even a name of genre) or maybe ‘expectation’? Since I got those feelings because of the use of Ferris wheel and the cloud texture. Whilst, I can sense ‘expectation’ from the eyes of characters you use in this poster.

CHARACTER DELIVERY (6.5/10)
I’m really sorry. As I said above, I didn’t sense angsty mood from the characters you use, but ‘expectation’ looks instead. (they look beautiful and y tho ><)

 
HIERARCHY (3.5/5)
I have to admit that this kind of monochrome poster with bold contrast can always be noticed easily among any other poster type… and we have to thanks the girls you use in here because they are gorgeous and stand out themselves even without so much trying. XD Thus, even though this poster is placed among other posters with similar coloring, I think it might still stand out more.

 
TECHNIQUES (6.5/10)
I think I can say that the techniques used in this poster are pretty basic but they seemed so neat—at the first glance. I’m regretting that when I look closer, what I want to give not the most is that you didn’t polish IU’s cut anymore and left many part on the cut off hand especially on her hair. The white part left between the hair strands seems annoying for the whole poster. If you detailed your masking techniques and erase it bit by bit diligently by a small pointed eraser, it might look better. And to be honest, as I am kind of lazy person—if I was you, I will took some tricks to polish that white part but still keeping the hair strands will to look real. You can try it yourself or not, but I will kindly tell you my simple yet lazy trick. :) When I found this kind of problem, I’d rather let it go but change the background with a similar color to the original background of the render material. For this IU render, I’ll use light/white color instead to hide that white dot part thus it will blend more and didn’t seem like an awkward cutting. To make the color look more similar, change the curves and exposures setting in such way. Actually, many things can be done to trick this kind of problem, we just have to do many experiments ourselves thus we can improve our skill on ‘blending tricks’. ;)

ELEMENTS (3/5)
If I took preference of the title ‘Wonderlxnd’/’Wonderland’, I agree with the uses of Ferris wheel and cloud texture. They give those dreamy feelings to this poster. But, the right part of this poster kinda out of topic… it was still relevant with ‘wonderland’, yet the wonderland of wealth, metropolitan lifestyle, etc. Thus I realize that this poster have two different kind of feelings. Maybe later you should decide what to be put on your poster by listing any keyword related to the title and genre/mood/theme you want so that it will be relevance with the topic and won’t have any ambiguity.

TYPOGRAPHY (3/5)
Hmmm… what to say. As the title is ‘wonderland’ I was anticipating a more dynamic and livelier font type for this poster. And I want to suggest you to use white color instead of black for the title text. Despite it will look stand out more in front of darker background, that black color is out of color scheme you use for the rest part of this poster. If you still want to use black for the text, lessen its opacity a bit might making it blending more with the whole poster. :)

COLORS (8/10)
You got me, because I personally love purple. *slapped* Overall it looks nice, but maybe a bit too monotone. I don’t know if you already knew, but please differentiate between ‘monochrome’ and ‘monotone’. Monochrome means varying tones degradation of one color to white. But ‘monotone’ means static, flat, without any variety. Monochrome is great and I worship it, but when you didn’t play with these monochromatic colors impressively, it will look monotone and too flat. And I have to thank for the cloud texture you use, because it helps this poster to look bit livelier. Or else, it will feel very monotonously.

PLACEMENT & BALANCE (8/10)
I’d say it looks nice overall. But maybe if you change the text color with white, the distribution of white/lighter tone will balance more.

DOMINANCE & EMPHASIS (7/10)
I define this part as ‘what attracted me first at first/brief glance and whether those things are the main element this poster maker wanted to be shown’. I saw ‘Hyuna’, ‘IU’ and ‘Feriss wheel’ protrude more in this poster. As this poster is for shop’s front cover, let me question you, ‘did those things I mentioned describe what the shop offered?’

HARMONY & RYTHM (7/10)
I somehow have elaborated this in ‘colors’ section… :”|a Again, thanks to the cloud texture you used so that this poster has some harmony and rhythm on it.

UNITY (3/5)
I, again, have to mention the difference of ‘wonderland’ theme on the right side of this poster with the left side, and they make the whole elements didn’t unite into one coherence poster. Also, the font type seems unmatched with the poster feelings—unless you have another meaning behind it. *shrugs*

TOTAL SCORE: 71
REVIEWER NOTE: If you wrapped this poster in more detailed way, I'm sure this poster will be a lot impressive. I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh or seemes hard to give big score. u_u Hope my review will help in any way somehow...

REMINDER: Don't forget to put comment after you read this review. Hope you'll like our service, and please visit again next time. ^^