Chapter 16

Library AU

I lost all my notes for this fic so I'm just doing what feels right \m/ Next chapter will probably be the last one ty everyone for hanging in there


 

Two days come and go like two shaky breaths holding back tears.

 

Hoseok is not one to cry often but Yoongi is not one you befriend often either.

 

Hoseok tries to talk to him about their kiss because it’s something he needs to talk about in person but Yoongi brushes it off every time.

 

“I’ll write,” he says.

 

For a week after it seems like Yoongi does not keep his promise, until Jimin comes running in to Hoseok’s room with a small off white envelope in his hand.

 

Yoongi does not write your average “Here’s what I’ve been doing, how are you?” letters.  Yoongi sends Hoseok lengthy descriptions of the trees outside his window or the dog he saw on his way home today, and Hoseok knows his Yoongi with pages always under his fingers and words in his head writes so much more than what he reads.  Yoongi writes symbols and hidden messages into every sentence and trusts Hoseok to know.  And Hoseok does know; Yoongi writes so similar to the authors of the short stories in the book Hoseok was gifted, he has practice.  

 

Hoseok knows that the words about the warmth of blankets when Yoongi wakes in the morning are words about finally being home and content.  He knows that the letter about the uncomfortable chairs at the library near Yoongi’s apartment is about him missing their afternoons together.

 

He knows that when Yoongi sends a letter about Jungkook, that boy he shares an apartment with, describing only the contours of his face, that Yoongi is in love.

 

Hoseok is happy and jealous.

 

Happy because Yoongi is happy.

 

Jealous because he’s also under the same roof as a cute boy and has been for longer than Yoongi has been with Jungkook, and Hoseok has nothing to show for it.

 

It’s been a little over two months since Jimin’s first night at Hoseok’s apartment, Hoseok knows because Yoongi sends one letter every week and the pile collecting on the kitchen counter is about eight strong now.  

 

Jimin sits on the counter, swinging his feet as Hoseok pulls hot mugs from the microwave.  When he closes it, it goes back to shining “2:47” in their faces.  He hands a mug to Jimin and leans against the counter next to him.

 

“So why are you awake in the middle of the night?”  Hoseok asks quietly, mindful of Seokjin sleeping just a few rooms away.

 

Jimin says nothing, only takes drink of the hot cocoa in his hands and hums in appreciation.  Hoseok begins to say something but Jimin cuts him off.

 

“Hyung, have you ever had one of those awkward gay encounters?”

 

Hoseok nearly chokes on the sip of cocoa he’d taken.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“Like, you’ve lived with Seokjin for a while, right?”  

 

Hoseok nods slowly.  

 

“Have you ever, like, been in the kitchen together at like three am and kinda kissed a little bit?  And you just don’t talk about it now?”

 

The older narrows his eyes at Jimin slowly.

 

“No, that’s never happened between Seokjin and I.”

 

“Someone else, then?”

 

“Jimin are you trying to tell me something?”

 

Jimin sets his mug down beside him on the counter.

 

“I saw you and Yoongi hyung.”

 

Hoseok stops for a moment before following Jimin in placing his mug on the counter.

 

“And? We’re not together.”

 

“I know that, you said he wrote in the letter abou-”

 

“Then why do you care so much?”

 

    Jimin’s mouth snaps shut and he turns his head away from Hoseok.

 

    “Do you want to kiss me, Park Jimin?”

 

    Hoseok watches Jimin’s shoulders rise as he in a breath and holds it.  The younger turns slowly to face him, glancing away every couple seconds.

 

    It’s a good angle; Jimin is usually a bit shorter than Hoseok but his seat on the counter puts him at the same height as the older and Jimin is turned enough that Hoseok doesn’t have to twist in some weird way.  Jimin’s lips are soft, softer than Hoseok expected for three am lips, but also just as soft as he expected from such a gorgeous boy.  

 

    It’s different from his kiss with Yoongi; there is no yellow, decaying light, no wet cheeks, it lasts much longer, Hoseok’s hand settling on top of Jimin’s on the counter.

 

    When Hoseok pulls back, he doesn’t go back to standing upright.  He stays just a couple breaths from Jimin, savoring the close proximity.

 

    “Hyung?”

 

    “Yes?”

 

    “Can this not be just an awkward gay encounter we don’t talk about?”

 

    “Absolutely.”


    “Can I sleep in your bed tonight?”