Watermelons?

EXO At It's Finest

            Sun-mi ended up eating lunch with Ms.Kim in the classroom. Both of them already had their lunches packed, so they decided to have lunch together. In that time they spent in the classroom, Sun-mi learned that Ms.Kim isn't just like any other teacher. She learned that Ms.Kim acts like a child sometimes and is really funny.

          Another bell rang, meaning that lunch was over and students would be coming in any moment now.

          "We should start cleaning up, huh?" Ms.Kim said smiling. Sun-mi stood up to throw away her trash near the door and walked back to her seat and sat down. She started getting out her books for the next lesson.

          The classroom door opened and students came piling in, laughing and playing. Kai walked into the room and looked around to see if he could find that certain someone. He smiled when he saw Sun-mi already taking out her pens and pencils.

          When Kai sat down in his desk, he turned around in his seat to look at Sun-mi.

          "Did you eat well?" He asked. Sun-mi looked up at the sound of someone talking to her. She blinked, surprised at Kai's body completely facing her.

          "A-ah...yes." She said softly. Kai held his breath. He still found her voice alluring.

          "Where did you eat? I didn't see you in the cafeteria." When it was lunch time, Kai left the classroom, but he walked extra slow, looking back to see if Sun-mi left the room yet. Chen came from nowhere and dragged Kai to lunch, so Kai didn't know if she really did leave. In the cafeteria, all Kai did was stare at the doors, waiting for her to walk in the room, but she never came.

          Sun-mi lowered her eyes to her desk before speaking.

          "I ate with Ms.Kim." She replied. Kai's face changed to worry.

          "Why? Were you in trouble?" Sun-mi shook her head immediately.

          "We had fun." Sun-mi slowly held up a thumb and extended her arm out, making her thumbs-up cover Kai's face and vision. He tilted his head to the side, peeking at Sun-mi. He did the same thing and they both ended up holding their thumbs in each others face.

 

          Across the room, there was loud laughter being heard.

          "AND THEN TAO FELL!!" Everyone laughed at the story Baekhyun was telling. Baekhyun laughed and turned to Chanyeol.

          "Right, Chany-" But Chanyeol was not paying attention to anything Baekhyun has said. He was staring off somewhere else.

          Baekhyun stopped smiling and followed Chanyeol gaze. Baekhyun saw Kai and the new girl talking together. He looked back at Chanyeol and saw that he was staring at them. Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol, angry that he wasn’t paying attention to his best friend. He leaned over his seat and grabbed Chanyeol's head into a headlock. Chanyeol's eyes widened at the unexpected attack.

          "Y-yah! What are you doing?!" Chanyeol yelped. What if Sun-mi looked over and saw him being helpless? He tried to pry Baekhyun's arms off him, but Baekhyun's grip only tightened.

          Chanyeol looked over at Sun-mi’s desk, and to his horror she was staring at him. Chanyeol covered his face with his hands and just wanted to cry. It's over. It's all over.

 

          In the desk next to Sun-mi, there were loud slurping noises. She moved her gaze from the dying Chanyeol to her seat neighbor, Sehun. He was drinking the last of a juice box. He had an emotionless face and had his feet resting on top of his desk.

          "Those hyungs are crazy." He said. He took his very last slurp and turned around in his seat, facing Chanyeol and Baekhyun. He looked at the empty juice box in his hands and then at the two people across the room. He threw the box and it hit the top of Baekhyun's head, bouncing off.

          Baekhyun blinked and paused at what he was doing. He looked up and saw Sehun smiling and waving at him.

          "YOU LITTLE BRAT! I WILL SLICE YOU!" He yelled, releasing Chanyeol from the headlock, but then grabbing a handful of Chanyeol's hair and pulled violently.

          "Ow! Ow! Ow!" Chanyeol cried. He started tapping Baekhyun's arm, telling him to release his death grip, but Baekhyun was too busy yelling at Sehun.

          Sun-mi watched as Sehun turned away from the yelling Baekhyun and relaxed in his chair. He closed his eyes and leaned back, interlocking his hands together, putting them behind his head.

 

          It was recess time, meaning the students can do whatever they want for certain amount of time until they need to start working again. Sun-mi was sitting at her desk when Ms.Kim called Sun-mi to her desk. She stood up and walked towards Ms.Kim’s desk.

          “I’m too busy grading these papers, so I don’t have time to get a drink. Do you mind getting a can for me?” Ms.Kim asked, handing Sun-mi some dollar bills. She gave Sun-mi extra money so that Sun-mi can buy a drink for herself, too. “The vending machine is right down the hall.”

          Sun-mi stared at all the choices she could pick. There were juices, teas, and coffees. She stood there contemplating when someone started yelling a few yards away from her.

          “Eun-mi! Yah, Eun-mi! It’s me! Lay!” Sun-mi looked away from the variety of cans and turned her attention towards the person who was shouting the wrong name at her. She saw Mr.Zhang’s son waving and smiling towards her. He started jogging towards her and his friend followed by walking slowly. He stopped right in front of her, smiled widely and waved. Sun-mi blinked.

          “Ah...hello.” She said. Lay’s friend finally caught up to them and stood right next to Lay. Sun-mi didn’t recognise him in a school uniform, but after looking at his name tag, she immediately remember him.

          “K-kris!” She said, not loudly, but louder than her usual quiet voice. She had her hand raised and her index finger was pointing towards his name tag that read, “Wu Yi Fan”. Sun-mi remembered the name she couldn’t pronounce.

          Kris looked down at the girl in front of him after hearing his name. HIs eyes widened then he smiled.

          “Oh! Seaweed!” He said. Lay was confused at what Kris just said. He started imagining images of seaweed in his head. Lay thought Kris just called that girl seaweed, but maybe his Korean was wrong. Lay put his hand on Kris’ shoulder.

          “Yi Fan...Her name’s Eun-mi, not seaweed!” He said giving Kris a concerned look. Then he turned towards Sun-mi and gave her an apologetic look.

          “I’m sorry, Eun-mi. Kris’ Korean can be off sometimes.” Sun-mi blinked at Lay.

          “My name’s Sun-mi.” She said. Lay’s face went blank for a moment, then he grinned cheekily.

          “Ah, really? I guess I forgot. Hehe~” Kris patted Lay’s head and smiled down at him.

          “There’s no need for introductions. We all know each other here, right?” Kris said, smiling at Sun-mi. Sun-mi looked down at her shoes and nodded.

          “Wait. How do you guys know each other?” Lay asked, becoming confused again. Kris looked over at Sun-mi who was staring at the items in the vending machine. He turned back to his friend Lay and smiled.

          “We met at the grocery store."

          "Oh! At your new job, right?"

          "Yeah." Kris and Lay both turned back to look at Sun-mi. She bent down to grab the two drinks she had picked. She decided that Ms.Kim prefered an energy drink rather than a tea or soda. Sun-mi chose the Bubble Tea flavored drink. Sometimes she liked sweet things.

          She stood up and looked at the two boys standing there. She pursed her lips and then nodded at them.

          "It was nice seeing you guys." She said. She bowed with both drinks in her hand and then started to walk away. While Sun-mi was walking, Lay yelled her wrong name, but she still turned around. He was waving his whole arm and Kris saluted her with two fingers. Sun-mi's lip twitched into the smallest smile and turned around to continue walking.

          Lay and Kris were watching Sun-mi walk down the hall. Kris tilted his head and turned towards Lay.

          "Hey. Did she just smile?" Kris asked. Lay stopped waving and looked at Kris with a lost look.

          "Did she?"

          "Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw it." Kris replied. Lay blinked at him.

          "I didn't see anything." Lay said. Kris peered at Lay.

          "No, I saw it alright." Kris and Lay stared at each other for a long time.

          "I like watermelons." Lay said before walking away. Kris stared at Lay's backside, confused at what just happened.

 

          Sun-mi arrived back into the class right when the bell rang, meaning free time was over. She placed the energy drink on Ms.Kim's desk and started making her way to her seat. Ms.Kim finished her paperwork just in time and smiled widely when she spotted the energy drink on her desk. She looked towards Sun-mi's desk and was glad to find her already getting out her notes.

          "Alright class! Get settled! We are starting." She stood at the front of the classroom and started writing the notes they needed on the board.

 

          Next to Sun-mi, Sehun stared at the board with a blank face. He wrote two words for every sentence the teacher put up. He started doodling on the corner of his paper and then looked around the room.

          On the right side of Sehun, he could see Baekhyun-hyung struggling to see the board. Baekhyun would have to wiggle in his seat to see over Chanyeol's shoulder. Sehun watched Baekhyun grab the back of Chanyeol's neck and pushed him forward, making room for Baekhyun to see the board. Chanyeol smiled sheepishly and sunk in his seat, whispering a "sorry" over his shoulder. Baekhyun only tapped his pencil on the top of Chanyeol's head.

          Sehun scoffed at his weird hyungs and turned his head to the left. He almost wanted to laugh at the sight of Kai writing down every word on the board and trying to keep up. Sehun then moved his gaze to the girl sitting next to him. She was calmly writing at a normal pace and when Sehun looked at her notes, he was surprised to see how neat she had kept them.

          Sehun looked up at the girl and suddenly remembered what happened before lunch.

 

          "I promise. I promise to take care of you. I promise." He heard Ms.Kim say. He peeked into the classroom and  saw Ms.Kim embracing a student and crying.

          He watched as the girl's eyes widened for a second before she just smiled and patted Ms.Kim's back. He turned away from the room.

          "Tch."

 

          He looked at the top of her paper and saw her name neatly written at the corner.

          Eun Sun-mi

          Sehun thought about when Kai suddenly yelled in the middle of class. He remembered Kai saying someone's name. Sehun didn't pay attention at the time but now he knew who Kai was talking about.

          They must know each other. Sehun thought.

          His eyes were roaming her desk until he spotted something. He did a double take and stared at what was on her desk.

          There. All new and unopened, was a can of Bubble Tea flavored tea. It sat on the corner of Sun-mi's desk.

 

          Sun-mi felt a presence. She immediately stopped writing and slowly rotated her head towards the weird feeling. She was shocked to see her seat neighbor, Sehun, staring at her. Well actually, something her desk.

          She followed his gaze and realized he was staring at the can she picked out earlier. Sun-mi put down her pencil and slowly wrapped her fingers around the can. Sehun's eyes widened as the can came closer to him. Sun-mi pushed the can towards Sehun.

          "Do you want it?" She whispered, hoping not to catch the attention of the teacher. Sehun nodded, still staring at the can.

          B-bubble tea! Sehun thought.

          Sun-mi didn't mind giving her drink away. She only bought it because Ms.Kim gave her the money to do so. She leaned over and gently put the can on Sehun's desk. His eyes followed it wherever it went. When it was on his desk, he stared at it some more before he grabbed it with both hands. He turned towards Sun-mi.

          "T-thank you!" He said. Sun-mi looked at him and thought he looked like a child right now. His eyes glistened with joy as he stared at the flavored drink and his cheeks were the color of pink when he spoke. He looked different from his emotionless state Sun-mi saw a while ago. Sun-mi stared at the happy Sehun for some time until she went back to writing notes.

 

          The final bell rang and all the students sighed and stretched as the school day came to an end. Sun-mi was packing when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She looked up and saw Chanyeol standing there smiling shyly at her. He pushed his glasses up before speaking.

          "H-hey Sun-mi! We didn't get to talk much today because I sit across the room, b-but I noticed you're in my class!" His eyes looked into Sun-mi's for a second until he blushed and looked away. Sun-mi also blushed a little at the sudden eye contact.

          "A-ah...yes. I'm glad to be in the same class as you." She spoke quietly. Everyone has already left so there was only Sun-mi and Chanyeol. They stood there quietly for a few minutes.

          "Oh! Um...if you're not busy after school...you should come to the café. Today it's closed but my friends and I always come there to hang out. It would be cool if you got to meet them! They're very nice, I promise!" Chanyeol looked hopefully at Sun-mi. He was nervously playing with his backpack straps as he spoke. He watched as Sun-mi silently stared at her shoes and shifted from one foot to the other.

          "Um...I'll try..." She mumbled. She didn't want to let Chanyeol down, but hearing that she would most likely have to meet new people made her uncomfortable. Chanyeol, on the other hand, smiled brightly at her answer.

          Trying means a yes, right?! He thought. He was about to clap his hands in excitement until a random voice came out of nowhere.

          "She said she'll try. It doesn't mean she'll actually go, idiot." Chanyeol and Sun-mi both jumped and turned their heads towards the boy with his head down on his desk. It seemed like he was previously napping until now. Chanyeol stomped his foot like a child.

          "Yah Sehun! I got my hair pulled today because of you!" Chanyeol whined but then stopped. "Hey wait. Why are still here?"

          Sehun yawned and then scratched behind his ear.

          "That's something you don't need to know," He stretched his long legs and arms out. "And besides. Kai left already to go somewhere so there's no rush to go to the café right now."

          Chanyeol scoffed. "Wah. You and Kai are always around each other, huh? You guys constantly cause trouble." Sehun waved him off and laid his head back on the desk. Chanyeol shook his head and turned towards Sun-mi.

          "Well, I would walk you to the café but-"

          "YEOLLIE~ IT'S TIIIIIIME~"

          Sun-mi recognized that voice as Baekhyun's. His loud voice came from the hallways. Chanyeol sent Sun-mi an apologetic look.

          "Baekhyun has school duties and he wants me to help. Sorry." Sun-mi shook her head saying it's alright and that she could make it to the café by herself. Chanyeol made his way out the door and waved at Sun-mi.

          From inside the room, Sun-mi could hear Chanyeol's and Baekhyun's conversation.

          "You couldn't have waited a few more minutes?" Chanyeol asked.

          "Who has time for waiting when you can work?"

          "I shouldn't be the one working anyways!"

          "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hey. We have to mop up the boy's restroom and then we have Gum Duty in Class 4-C."

          "What!? Gum Duty!? Can't you stop getting in trouble for one second?"

          "Um, what the heck. It's not even my fault the teachers don't like me. They're just jealous."

          "Of what!?" Slowly their loud voices would decrease as they walked down the hallway. Sun-mi finished packing her things and looked over at the unmoving Sehun. She awkwardly bowed to him before quickly walking out of the classroom.

 

          Sehun lifted his head off the desk after hearing the classroom door close. He stretched and then looked around the room to see if anyone was still here.

          "Why would she bow to someone who's not awake? She's definitely weird. " Sehun asked himself, tilting his head to the side. He then stood up from his desk and walked to the front of the class. He took slow steps around the teacher's desk before plotting himself in her seat and pulling his feet upon the table.

          He yawned once more.

          "What was I looking for?" He said quietly to himself. He pondered in the teacher's seat before snapping his fingers. "Oh yeah." He took his feet off the table and started looking through the stacks of papers. He stopped for a moment and then opened every drawer there was. He slid open one of the top corner drawers but stopped when he saw an envelope on top of the desk, above the drawer.

          He closed the drawer and picked up the envelope. He looked at the front and back of the envelope, recognizing it as the one Ms.Kim read earlier.

          "Bingo."

 

 

Hello! Sorry for the slow update. School just started and the homework is getting to me. 

Also, I want to mention the recent Ladies Code incedent and I hope you guys are supporting them and the fans. 

Question of the Chapter; Can you guys guess my favorite OTP within EXO?