Groceries and Enrollment

EXO At It's Finest

Before we start, I just want to say thank you to HiHiCutiePie for this adorable poster! :)

 

          The next day, Sun-mi woke up and got ready to do errands. First, she has to do groceries, then she has to do the paperwork for her enrollment in school.

          Sun-mi walked to the nearest food market. The place wasn't large, it was actually small. But being small doesn't mean it's any less than others. When Sun-mi looked around the aisles, she was surprised at how they had everything. From small kitchen utensils to a large variety of fruits and vegetables.

 

          Sesame or Original

 

          She didn't know which one to pick. Sun-mi thought she could just buy rice and some roasted seaweed and be on her way, but she didn't know there were more than one kind of seaweed.

          Sun-mi probably stood there contemplating for more than a few minutes because one of the workers started noticing her. He was stocking cans in the same aisle she was in. He was only two feet away and saw what she was staring at.

          "Definitely sesame," he said. Sun-mi slightly jumped at the sound of the voice. She looked beside her and saw a man in a red vest putting cans on the tallest shelf. He was so tall that he didn't even have to tiptoe to reach. While he was stacking he took a glance at her.

          "Original is too bland and sesame may be a little salty but it tastes really nice with steamed rice." He said eyeing her cart, seeing a bag of rice.

          Sun-mi looked back at the types of seaweed and grabbed the bag that said "Roasted Seaweed Snack: Sesame Flavored". She turned towards the worker.

          "Thank you...um..." She squinted at his name tag. "Wu...wu--"

          "Wu Yi Fan. But you can call me Kris. Makes it easier for you and me." He shrugged and smiled at her.

          Sun-mi felt bad that she couldn't pronounce his name right. "I'm sorry." She whispered. She felt like she wanted to cry.

          "Hey hey hey, there's no need to feel bad. Happens all the time!" He started to panic when he saw her staring at the floor with glossy eyes. She sniffed and wiped her nose.

          "If you wanna make it even, you can tell me your name." She was still staring at the floor so he had to bend down to look at her. She sniffed once again.

          "Eun Sun-mi." She whispered. Kris stood straight and stared at her small, shy figure. Then he smiled.

          "Eun Sun-mi. Wah~ That's a very nice name. Has a ring to it." Sun-mi smiled and looked up at Kris. But what she found was him jamming out to the soft music playing throughout the store.

          "This is it," He said. "This is my style." His eyes were closed and his whole body was dancing to the melody. His moves seemed to be for pop music but he was using them for the classical music that played in the store.

          Sun-mi put the seaweed in her cart and was about to go when she turned around to say a farewell to this Kris. But he was still jamming out and she didn't want to bother him. She smiled and continued walking.

          It was nice meeting you, Kris.

 

          Sun-mi came home with all the groceries and started filling up her refrigerator. Then she placed all her small kitchen utensils in their proper place.

          When Sun-mi finished, she went into her room to get her enrollment papers. The school wasn't that far but she didn't want to do anymore walking today. Around the corner was a bus stop, in which she took.

          When Sun-mi got off the bus and arrived at the school, the first thing she noticed was that it was fairly big, but it looked like any other school you'll find in Asia. There were big bold letters that said, "Daegu High School."

          She entered through the front doors and looked around. There were banners and posters on every other wall and some teachers were here to do their own work. Today wasn't a school day because it was the weekend. Sun-mi needed to find the principal, but didn't know her way around in this school.

          Sun-mi just passed the restroom when a man came out, drying his hands on a paper towel. He did a double take at the girl wandering the school.

          "YAH, YAH, YAH! Student!" Sun-mi flinched at the loud yelling coming from behind her. She turned around and found a man pointing at her.

          "Stay right there!" He said. Sun-mi looked behind her then at the man and pointed to herself with wide eyes. The man's face was full of bewilderment.

          "Y-you! Yes, you! Come here! Right now!" Sun-mi blinked.

          "But...you told me to stay here..." She said. The man was getting frustrated and he was breathing heavily.

          "Yah! You really-!" Sun-mi slowly walked towards him then smiled sheepishly. With the look on his face she quickly wiped her smile off.

          "What are you doing here on school grounds when you know you shouldn't be? It's the weekend! Don't go sneaking into the school! You are about to get your punishment, young lady. Let me ask, who are you?" He had his hands on his hips ready for her to answer.

          "Um...I came here to bring my enrollment papers..." Sun-mi said, showing him the papers in her hands. The man's face changed drastically from angry to happy. He smiled wide and clapped his hands in joy.

          "Aha! A new student! Haha! Why didn't you say so!" He started laughing and Sun-mi just smiled uncomfortably. The man cleared his throat and smiled.

          "Let's get you enrolled, shall we?" He straightened out his shirt and started walking in a direction. Sun-mi was about to follow him when he suddenly turned around and walked the opposite direction, mumbling, "The office is this way."

          Sun-mi smiled quietly and followed the odd man.

 

          She was seated on the opposite side of his desk. He was currently taking all her information and putting it into the school's computer. She looked around the office and saw other teachers busy on the computer. On the man's desk she saw a name plate in gold. Across it says, "Mr.Zhang". Sun-mi stared at the man in front of her.

          He must be Chinese. She thought.

          "Well! Since you're already here, would you like a school tour?" Mr.Zhang asked. Sun-mi thought about it for a moment before nodding. She might as well get used to the school now.

          "Hm. I was hoping you'd say no," Sun-mi eyes widen at his blunt reply. "Considering all the work I have, I don't think i can give you a  tour right now." Sun-mi was about to say it's okay and that she'll just be on her way when Mr.Zhang spoke again.

          "But! I think my son can do that for me. He didn't have anything to do today so that punk followed me here today." Sun-mi pursed her lips together.

          "He's a sweet boy, I promise." He said, chuckling. "YIXING GET YOUR OVER TO MY DESK RIGHT NOW, BOY!" Sun-mi flinched at his sudden loudness. The other teachers in the room took a glance at them but then turned back to their work.

          "WHERE IS THAT SON OF A--" Mr.Zhang stopped and looked at Sun-mi and smiled. He started chuckling.

          "Yixing, that boy. Haha, he must be in the lounge room. Come, come." He handed back her papers and stood from his seat with Sun-mi. They walked down the hallway to meet double doors. There was a sign on it that read,

 

"Teacher's only! No students allowed! Consequences will be held."

 

          Before opening the door, Mr.Zhang turned around and smiled at Sun-mi and she smiled back. Then he turned back to the door. Sun-mi heard him take a deep breath before barging the door open.

          "ALRIGHT. WHERE ARE YOU HIDING LITTLE RASCAL? DON'T MAKE ME--"

          "Hey dad." In the teacher's lounge there was a boy laying comfortably on the couch. He smiled and waved at his dad.

          "Y-yah! What do you think you're doing?" Mr.Zhang pointed at his son and the position he was in.

          "Chillin~" He said, not even trying to make any effort to move.

          "DON'T TALK INFORMAL WITH ME!" Mr.Zhang sighed and looked over his shoulder, using two fingers to signal Sun-mi to come over.

          "Son, I need you to take Sun-mi, the new student, around the school. You know, like a tour."

          His son stared at Sun-mi for some time before closing his eyes.

          "She's cute." Sun-mi eyes widened and her cheeks became flushed. She looked down and started at her shoes.

          "YAH! YOU REALLY-!!" Mr.Zhang approached where his son was sitting and smacked his thighs. His son quickly stood up and looked at his dad bewildered.

          "Appa! That hurt!"

          "IF YOU WANNA SEE HURT I'LL SHOW YOU HURT IF YOU DON'T TAKE HER WITH YOU!"

          Yixing scratched the back of his head and yawned. He went over to his dad and slung his arm over his shoulder.

          "You're getting louder every time I see you." He tapped his father's nose smiling.

          "Really?" His dad said. He smiled then started chuckling. "We should get a drink later, huh?" Mr.Zhang and his son started laughing together. Sun-mi thought that their relationship was entertaining.

          Mr.Zhang suddenly stopped laughing and looked at his son.

          "WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I'LL LET YOU DRINK? GET OUT OF HERE!" He yelled slapping his son's behind. His son jumped holding his behind. He rubbed it and pouted.

          "Let's go." He said to Sun-mi before walking out, still rubbing his behind. Sun-mi bowed to Mr.Zhang and quickly went to catch up with his son.

          Mr.Zhang smiled and waved as they went down the hallway.

          "I'm gonna kill him." He chuckled.

 

          "What's your name again? I'm not good at memorizing things, especially names. Isn't it Eun-mi?" Mr.Zhang's son walked ahead while Sun-mi just followed behind.

          "It's Sun-mi. Eun is my surname." He interlocked both of his hands together then put them behind his head. Sun-mi heard him yawn again.

          "Cool beans. The name's Yixing, but call me Lay." Sun-mi looked at him in perplexity.

          Lay?

          "So new kid, huh? Are you new to the area, too?" He asked, looking over his shoulder.

          "Yeah." She said, barely audible.

          "You don't talk much do you?" His arms got tired so he brought them down and stuffed them in his pockets. Sun-mi didn't know if she needed to answer that, so she didn't.

          "I think you'll like this school. Everyone here is nice and accepting. When's your first day?"

          "Tuesday." Sun-mi also needed to purchase her school uniform.

          "Hm. And today's Saturday. So I'll see you again in..." He tilted his head to the side and started counting quietly on his fingers. Sun-mi's eyebrows furrowed as she stared at him.

          "In three da-"

          "THREE DAYS. You're first day of school is in three days. And that," He snapped his fingers. "Is when I see you again." Sun-mi blinked at him.

          They entered another hallway when Lay pointed to one of the classrooms.

          "That's my class. I have it with my friends. There's me, Chen, Luhan and Baekhyun. And right down the hallway we have the Dream Team. In that classroom you got yourself a Chanyeol, a Sehun, and a Kai. Oh, you should really meet them, they're great." Sun-mi tried to follow up with all the names, but there were too many. She did, in fact, catch a couple of names that she had already recognized.

          Chanyeol and Kai go to this school?

          "And in the next hallway, we have Xiumin, Suho, Kris, Tao and Kyungsoo all shoved into one class." Sun-mi seemed to have only catch one name again.

          Kris, too?

          They reached the end of the hallway where stairs appeared going upwards.

          "Ah! I know! There's something cool you should see!" Lay excitedly jogged up the stairs and Sun-mi curiously followed. As they ascended up the steps, Sun-mi soon found out that they led to the rooftop of the school.

          When standing near the edge, you can see the school's track and field. You can also see the other side of the school building. The busy streets of Korea were right beside the school and the noise of cars passing would reach your ears. A cold breeze of the beginning fall brushed against Sun-mi. She snuggled her head into her scarf and tucked her hands into her coat pockets.

          "So why'd you move here?" Lay didn't seem bothered by the coolness of the air. He leaned on the railings, with his back facing the world. He stared at Sun-mi. The way her face was half concealed by her scarf, with only her flushed cheeks and eyes showing, Lay could actually see that she was kind of cute.

          "Just wasn't feeling the last place." She said.

          Just didn't want to be reminded. She thought.

          Lay watched as she spoke. He had a feeling that she wasn't being true to what she was saying.

          "Do you like your shoes that much?" He asked suddenly. Sun-mi looked up at him and gave him a questioning look. There he stood, leaning on the railing with his elbows resting behind him as he stared at her with his head tilted and a smile.

          "Well I mean, you're always looking at your shoes. It's not good to have your head down all the time." Sun-mi knew what he was talking about. She knew she always walked staring at the concrete. Or when she's just standing, she would stare at her shoes, as if something magical is going to happen and she wouldn't want to miss it. The reason why she would look down is because she feels more comfortable with the idea of not having to make awkward or random eye contact.

          Sun-mi was quiet for a few moments before looking at Mr.Zhang's son in the eye.

          "I guess my shoes just have my attention tied up."

          Sun-mi didn't intend on making a pun, honest. The words just came out. But apparently Lay didn't take it so well. He was bent over, with both his hands on his stomach, laughing.

          "HAHA! ATTENTION! TIED UP! HAHAHAHA!!" He's out of control, Sun-mi concluded. Lay had tears rolling out his smiling eyes and down his cheek. His face was red from laughing too hard and now he was basically wheezing.

          Sun-mi stood there for a while, watching this boy collapse into laughter. She watched as he tried to straighten out his posture. He did well in that area, but he was still laughing. Sun-mi noticed a small dimple that appeared on his right cheek whenever he smiled. She never noticed it before, but now it was hard to ignore.

          "Wah~ You're really funny. Really. Now my cheeks hurt." He pouted and grabbed both his cheeks, massaging them.

          "Ah...we should head back inside." He said, making his way towards the door. Sun-mi followed right behind him. Sun-mi guessed Lay still wasn't in the right state of mind because she watched him walk straight into the door, hitting his head while doing so.

          "Ouch..." Lay groaned and rubbed his forehead. Lay heard something behind him. It was like small giggles. He turned around and found Sun-mi quietly laughing. Laughing at him. But Lay didn't pay much attention to his embarrassment, but more towards the fact that this girl in front of him was smiling. 

 

Sorry for the one week delay. I was having the smallest writer's block for this chapter. I really didn't know where to go. 

Mr.Zhang's character personality is based off of the actor Song Dong Il. If you're watching D.O's new drama, you know who I'm talking about. I have now introduced the amazing Wu Yi Fan and the unpredictable Zhang Yixing!