How To Train Your Duizhang

Kyungsoo rushed down the corridor and burst into the room that Chanyeol stayed in while he was watching over the prince. He walked in on the giant towering over one of the servant boys, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo remembered, and placing a gentle kiss on the boy’s lips. At the sound of the prince entering the room, the shocked pair jolted away from each other and both looked at the ground like it was the most interesting thing they had ever seen. Kyungsoo eyed Chanyeol with skeptically, but shook his head and ignored the awkward situation.

        “I need you to find Yifan,” Kyungsoo said quickly.

        “What? I thought he was with you!”

        “He was but I said some things and he ended up leaving and I need you to find him and bring him back.”

        “You-I-Your Highness, with all due respect, I am not going to go find the dragon that we’ve been trying to get rid of for months,” Chanyeol answered, a bit flustered at the sudden request.

        “I’m…just going to leave,” Baekhyun whispered as he quietly made his way out of the room and shut the door softly behind him.

        Kyungsoo turned his attention back to the giant and leveled a steady glare at him.

        “I order you to find him,” Kyungsoo spat.

        “Your father is the only person around here who gives me orders,” Chanyeol sneered, his voice lowering in anger.

        “I am the heir to the throne dammit and you need to do what I say!”

        Chanyeol shook his head and stalked out of the room towards the king’s study. Kyungsoo was close behind him, but struggling to keep up with his pace because he was considerably shorter. The two stormed into the room and Chanyeol slammed his fist down on the desk that Wonshik had been working at.

        “What in the world is the matter?” the king asked.

        “That stupid dragon is gone and your son is ordering me to retrieve him.”

        Wonshik sat back in surprise, but quickly composed his expression. He turned to Kyungsoo.

        “If the dragon chose to leave then we will honor his decision. You are not to find him, Chanyeol. And you, Kyungsoo, are not to go searching for him either. This matter is done. You both are dismissed,” the king answered with a wave of his hand, leaving no room for argument. Kyungsoo stomped back to his room and slammed the door behind him, letting out an angry shriek. He ran to the window and threw it open.

        “Yifan, you better get your back here right now!” he screamed as loudly as he could at the wind. Kyungsoo waited the entire rest of the day for the dragon to return to him, but he never did.

 

        After six months of the prince’s depression, Wonshik had finally had enough. There were many times that Chanyeol would have to physically hold the prince back to stop him from going into the woods and trying to search for him. Wonshik would pass by the prince’s room at night and hear the boy’s quiet sobbing. He knew that the prince needed to move on and he knew just how to do it.

       

        Kyungsoo had no idea where his father and Chanyeol were taking him, but he didn’t really care anyway. He was dressed in some of his best clothes and they were in one of their best carriages.

        When they arrived at the palace of another king’s domain, many butlers and servants greeted them and every need they had was catered to immediately. After freshening up after the long journey, the three made their way down to the extensive dining room to eat dinner and discuss the reason for their visit.

        “Hello, Kyungsoo. I’ve heard much about you,” a man who appeared to be in his late thirties greeted kindly. “My name is Junsu.”

        The prince bowed politely. “Thank you very much. In all honesty though, I haven’t heard anything about you. I apologize,” Kyungsoo said softly.

        Junsu wasn’t angry at the prince’s reply and even chuckled heartily. “I’m not very surprised. Your father is a secretive one. Always has been. We’ve known each other for a very long time. I am the king of this territory and I would like to introduce you to my son, Minseok,” Junsu said as he gestured towards a boy that looked a bit older than Kyungsoo. At the realization of why he was brought here, Kyungsoo froze and his face paled. Minseok, upon seeing the prince’s expression, rushed to him and stood directly in front of him.

        “We’re not forcing anything on you, okay? Don’t worry about that. Your father just thought that you needed a change of scenery and proposed that you stay here for a while,” Minseok said softly, trying to comfort the panicking prince. Wonshik walked over to his son and wrapped his arms around him.

        “It’ll be good for you, Soo,” he said gently as he ran his fingers through the prince’s short hair.

        “I don’t know…” Kyungsoo said quietly. He didn’t really want to leave his home for the day, let alone for longer than that.

        “We can discuss this later. First, let’s eat the food that my wonderful cook has prepared for us,” Junsu said with a smile. Throughout the meal, all that Kyungsoo could think about was the fact that his father was moving him out of his home and pairing him with another prince.

 

        After a bit more persuasion, Kyungsoo hesitantly agreed to stay with king and his son for the time being. His father promised that he would come back for him in two months time and that Chanyeol would be staying with him. The fact that the giant, as annoying as he found him to be, was staying with him made Kyungsoo feel a lot better about the situation.

        Minseok, the prince of the other kingdom, was actually extremely likable. He was very kind to Kyungsoo and taught him a lot of things, such as bettering his hunting and tracking skills. The prince found himself losing track of time and when his father came back to retrieve him, Kyungsoo didn’t want to leave. Wonshik gave his son a relieved smile and allowed him to stay longer. Chanyeol, at seeing the king so happy that his son was finally moving on, didn’t have the heart to tell Wonshik that the prince still cried himself to sleep on a nightly basis.