How To Train Your Duizhang

Yifan’s boots landed on the ground with a thud. He cuddled the sleeping prince to his chest and breathed in his scent. Kyungsoo’s head leaned against Yifan’s shoulder as the elder ducked into the small set of caves that he had found a couple years ago. The dragon lit a few candles, and then grabbed all of the blankets that he owned.  He carefully kneeled on the ground, as not to wake the prince. Yifan began gently fluffing the makeshift bedding and making it as comfortable as he possibly could. When the dragon deemed it fit for his prince, he gently placed Kyungsoo on the bedding and quickly covered him, sheltering him from the cool air that the night had brought. Yifan smiled as the prince let out a content sigh and snuggled deeper into the blankets that surrounded him.

        A few hours later, Yifan heard the prince begin to stir. Kyungsoo whined softly and the dragon was by his side in an instant. Kyungsoo whimpered again, Yifan ran his fingers through the prince’s bangs. He finally woke with a start and instantly shied from the dragon’s touch. Yifan, internally pouting, brought his hand away and instead settled it on the prince’s knee.

        “Are you hungry?” Yifan asked softly.

        “Take me home. Now,” Kyungsoo snarled reaching over to grab the blankets that covered his body and throw them to the side. Yifan straightened, his eyes wide, and an unknown feeling overtook him. He sat in shock as Kyungsoo, his Kyungsoo, rejected him. Tears filled his eyes, but the stubborn dragon refused to allow them to fall down his cheeks. He reached for the blankets to cover the prince with again, but Kyungsoo smacked his hand and growled at him. Yifan drew his hand back to rest in his lap and looked down, disappointed in himself that he was making Kyungsoo unhappy.

        “Take me home,” Kyungsoo repeated, his tone just as firm as the first time he had uttered those horrible words. Yifan opened his mouth to protest, but before a sound could leave his mouth, Kyungsoo hurled one of the candles that littered the floor of the room at the dragon’s head. Yifan winced as it solidly hit him and he whined a little at the violence Kyungsoo was utilizing.

        “Now.”

        “But I-“ the dragon began, but Kyungsoo interrupted him with another candle to the face.

        “We are not discussing this! You are going to take me home right now.”

        Yifan lowered his head in defeat and moved to wrap his arms around Kyungsoo. His onyx wings unfurled from his spine as the dragon gently lifted the prince and held him in his arms. With a heavy heart, he took off into the cold night to return the prince to his home.

 

        Upon arriving at the palace, Yifan was quickly tackled by Chanyeol and held down on the floor. When he tried to fight the giant off of him, Kyungsoo had screamed at him not to move. The dragon had immediately gone lax and allowed himself to be captured. He was then quickly taken down to the lowest floor of the castle and bound in chains. Chanyeol glared at the dragon as he chained him to the wall and tightened them painfully. Yifan’s head hung between his shoulders as he gave himself up.

 

        Wonshik had ordered that the palace’s residing physician, a man named Yixing, to tend to the dragon. When Yixing walked into the corridor leading to the cell where Yifan was kept, he wasn’t quite sure what to expect. He had never seen a dragon before and didn’t know much about them at all, only that they were greatly feared. When he rounded the corner and unlocked the cell door though, Yixing was not expecting to see such a sad creature. Yifan, with his head hung low, was chained. His wrists were bleeding where the metal of the chains had dug into his skin and Yixing decided to begin there. When the door of the cell opened, the dragon looked up quickly, but sagged back down when he saw that it was not Kyungsoo.

        Yixing made his way over to the dragon and eyed him warily. He knew that dragons were dangerous, but this one didn’t seem so. Yixing put two fingers under his chin and lifted his face so that he could see the creature’s eyes. Yixing recoiled slightly at the intense sorrow that was radiating from the dragon’s eyes.

        “Don’t try to escape, alright?” Yixing murmured gently. The dragon didn’t make any indication that he heard the physician’s words, but didn’t fight when Yixing began unchaining him. Yixing then lead the dragon to the bed that was placed in a far corner of the cell and made him sit down. Yifan did as he was told and Yixing began to work on his wrists, bandaging them so they would stop bleeding. After Yixing had completed his task of tending to the dragon’s wounds, he decided to give into his curiosity and study him a bit.

        “Lie down on your stomach,” Yixing told Yifan. The dragon instantly did as he was told. The physician removed Yifan’s shirt and gasped a bit at the skin that lay underneath. His beautiful black wings were folded gracefully into his spine, tucked away until he needed them. Yixing ran a fingertip over the tip of the wings and was surprised to find them incredibly soft, velvety even. Yixing’s fingers closed around the dragon’s wing and pulled outward so that the wing began to unfurl from the dragon’s body. Yifan shifted his weight nervously, but Yixing wasn’t going to hurt him. He folded the wing back to its original position and patted it gently.

        “Go to sleep, Yifan,” Yixing said quietly as he gathered his things and left the dragon alone for the night.

 

        Kyungsoo couldn’t help but go see the dragon, even though Chanyeol protested with vigor.

        “Please don’t do this,” Chanyeol whined, which sounded odd with his deep voice.

        “Chanyeol, I’m not asking for your permission.”

        “Your father would be furious!”

        “Then don’t tell him,” Kyungsoo snapped and stalked toward the cell at the very end of the corridor where the dragon was kept. He arrived at the cell and took a deep breath before opening the door. He was surprised to find the dragon asleep on the bed and not chained, like Chanyeol had said.

        “That doctor…” Chanyeol growled, shaking his head, as he stalked toward the unsuspecting dragon that lay snoring lightly on the bed. Kyungsoo reached out and grabbed Chanyeol’s shoulder. He shook his head when the giant looked at him in confusion.

        “Don’t touch him. He’s asleep.”

        “He’s unbound. And dangerous,” Chanyeol argued.

        “He’s peaceful right now. Just leave him be,” Kyungsoo murmured, not sure why he was being protective of a dragon that had attempted to steal him away from his home not even six hours prior. Kyungsoo made his way closer to the dragon, with a nervous giant following closely behind. The prince ran his fingers through the dragon’s hair and leaned down, placing a light kiss to the dragon’s forehead.

        “I’m sorry,” he said quietly as he turned and left the room, Chanyeol trailing behind his prince.

 

        Yifan awoke to many things happening at once. He was chained to the bed and there were many people standing around him. His frantic eyes searched for Kyungsoo, but he soon realized that Kyungsoo wasn’t there. His shoulders sagged and he toned out the furious babbling of the people who stood around him. All he cared about was Kyungsoo.

        Yixing startled the dragon out of his thoughts by placing a gentle hand against the side of his face. Yifan looked up in confusion and realized that the physician was giving him a worried look. Knitting his brow, Yifan wondered what could possibly be bothering the man.

        “-but it has to be done,” one of the men said.

        “No. It’s cruel and pointless. What would you accomplish by this?” Yixing snapped, standing in front of the dragon protectively. Yifan’s eyes traveled to the group of men whom were glaring at him with intense hatred in their eyes. He knew this wasn’t going to end well.

        One of the men grabbed Yixing by the arms and dragged him out of the room. The physician was not leaving without a fight and clawed and screamed as he was taken away. Yifan looked up to the remaining men and gasped as he was roughly flipped onto his stomach and his shirt was ripped away from his body. He saw the gleam of metal and his blood ran cold as he realized what they were going to do.

        “NO!” he shrieked as the men moved into position to hold the dragon down. “No no no no no!” Yifan tried to break through his restraints, but they were too strong and he was forced to remain still as one of the men began unfurling his wing. The dragon’s wing was stretched out to the point where Yifan cried out in pain.

        “KYUNGSOO!” the dragon screamed in terror as the man lowered the scalpel to the juncture of skin where the wing and the skin of Yifan’s back met.

        “Stop,” an authoritative voice rang out. The man froze where he stood and looked up to see a glaring prince.

        “Your Highness, these were your father’s orders,” the man began.

        “I don’t care. Leave this place,” the prince ordered.

        “We are to remove them-“ the man began but Kyungsoo quickly interrupted him.

        “Get out now,” Kyungsoo said in a dangerous voice. He brought his bow out from where it was strapped to his back and readied an arrow. The man remained in place, surprised, as Kyungsoo drew the string of his arrow towards his chest.

        “We will go see the king about this,” the man said quickly as he removed the scalpel from the dragon’s body. Kyungsoo nodded and moved out of the way so the men could file out of the room. He lowered his bow and watched as the men shuffled out of the room, murmuring amongst each other. He then turned to the dragon chained down to the bed.

        Yifan’s breath was coming in shallow gasps and he was struggling against the restraints. The prince moved forward and placed a reassuring hand on the dragon’s shoulder. Yifan instantly stilled and his breathing evened out into deep, calm breaths.

        “It’s all right now,” Kyungsoo said softly as he reached down and unclasped one of the chains. He moved to the others and repeated the process and soon the dragon was launching himself at the prince. Kyungsoo shrieked as Yifan nuzzled his face into the prince’s neck and a deep rumble sounded in his chest. The dragon’s wings wrapped around both of them protectively and Yifan relaxed into Kyungsoo’s body.

        “Yifan, get off of me,” Kyungsoo gasped.

        The dragon’s shoulders slumped as he retracted his wings and sat back on his heels in front of the prince, his eyes downcast.

        “I’m not mad,” Kyungsoo said, realizing that he had caused the dragon to deflate.

        Yifan’s eyes shot to Kyungsoo’s and he was witness to the most intense grin he had ever seen. The dragon’s smile was infectious and Kyungsoo found himself smiling back. Yifan tried to nuzzle closer to the prince again, but Kyungsoo stopped him with a stern “no”. The dragon whined pathetically, but obeyed nonetheless.

        “You were really scared weren’t you?” Kyungsoo whispered.

        Yifan gave a short, quick nod and averted his eyes. The prince motioned for the dragon to come closer, but when Yifan tried to launch himself at Kyungsoo again, he was stopped quickly. Kyungsoo patted the dragon’s head as he lowered himself to the ground and nestled his head into Kyungsoo’s lap. Before Yifan could say anything, Kyungsoo was humming a lullaby to the dragon and Yifan couldn’t help it when his eyes instantly closed and he was lulled to sleep by his Kyungsoo. 

 

 

Yifan is totally his :)