Chapter 2

Skin to Skin

“Ah, it’s beautiful today, isn’t it Kris,” Kris’s happy-go-lucky partner exclaimed.

“Mm, it is.” Officer Kris Wu and his partner Park Chanyeol were enjoying their lunch break by the river. After a morning of redirecting traffic out of Seoul, the pair were happy to take their lunch break near Han River. It wasn’t that their morning had been hard, just exceedingly boring. Both of them had bought sandwiches from a nearby convenience store before flopping down on the grassy hill overlooking the river.

“I hope they finish construction soon. It’s nice being outside but it’s tiring,” Chanyeol said, his mouth full of sandwich.

“I’d rather be outside then stuck inside doing paperwork,” Kris replied, taking a swig from his water bottle. Chanyeol nodded enthusiastically and they both fell into a comfortable silence only interrupted by the sounds of chewing.

Kris was halfway through his sandwich when Chanyeol seemed to perk up a little (as if he wasn’t happy enough) and leaned toward Kris. “Hey, don’t look now but there are some cuties looking at you from your 8 o’clock.” Kris took his time swallowing before looking around and seeing three girls (some sort of office workers) with their phones out trying to subtly take pictures of him.

Kris turned back with a sigh. “What,” Chanyeol asked.

“I thought you said they were cute.”

“They are cute, Kris.”

“You know I’m gay.”

“So am I, but I still think they’re cute.”

“Are they cute because you looked at their faces, or because one of them had the same couple phone case that you and Baekhyun have?”

“Oh…I guess I didn’t realize that,” Chanyeol said with a laugh. “Still though, it’s been a while since your last date Hyung, don’t you think you-”

“Not interested.”

“But-”

“Chanyeol, neither of us like women, the only thing I’m interested in is my lunch, and we can both agree that it’s creepy that they’re taking pictures of us. Let’s just drop it, okay?”

Chanyeol shrugged. “It doesn’t have to be them, but it’s your call.” He was about to lay down when his phone began to buzz. He pulled it out and immediately smiled at the caller ID.

“It’s Baekhyun, isn’t it?” Chanyeol nodded. Kris chuckled and stood. “All right lover-boy, I’ll give you space so you can talk to your boyfriend. Tell him I said ‘hi’ okay?”

“Thanks Hyung!”

Kris waved his hand back at Chanyeol and walked down the hill and toward the dock that jutted out slightly over the water. He stared out for a second before hearing a ‘honk’ below him. He looked down and grinned. There were two swans swimming around edge of the dock serenely. Kris ripped off a bit of his sandwich crust and threw it to them. The two swans immediately ate it up. Kris smirked. This worked out perfectly, since he hated eating crusts and usually only ate them so Chanyeol wouldn’t . He peeled off more of the crust, ripped them into small pieces, and threw them to the swans. At one point one of the swans honked at the other for stealing an extra large piece. Kris grinned and threw a large piece to the honking bird, but the bird ignored it. To Kris’s surprise, both swans began to swim away. He looked up, only to realize it was too dark to see anything clearly. He removed his sunglasses and-“Oh ,”-he realized dark clouds were rolling in fast and the wind was picking up.

He looked back to the hill and saw many lunch-goers (mainly female) pack up to leave because of the blustery weather. He turned back to look at the river when a flash of red caught his eye. About 200 yards ahead and slightly to the right there was a red object bobbing in the water. Kris squinted a little and his lips parted in surprise. A kayak? Who the hell would kayak in April. He stared at it for a little while when a thought hit him. The kayak is upside-down.

 

A/N: So I lied. 3 shot. I just can't stop writing it.