Chapter 6

Skin to Skin

Saturday had decided to showcase March all over again; it had rained in the early morning, leaving the streets cold and wet and the air uncomfortably frigid. Kris walked into the bakery on M street wearing a light long sleeve cream shirt, jeans, boots, and a casual green overcoat. Outwardly, he looked calm and relaxed although it took him 20 minutes to choose said ‘relaxed’ outfit and an additional 10 minutes to calm his hair down. He had gotten to the café early, walked around the block twice, and then decided to enter five and a half minutes early.

“Wow.” The interior was styled toward a younger crowd with light wooden floors, blue walls ranging from baby blue to navy, and white chairs and tables. There was plenty of ocean and nautical related knickknacks on the tables and counters and the décor matched the café name (Ahoy! Cheesy, but effective.) Kris took a seat at a table by the window and scanned the store and street for Tao. He was actually nervous.

Is he running late? No wait, I’m early…should I order a coffee? No wait, but then I might have to pee…and I’ll have to go to the bathroom and then he won’t see me and think I didn’t show up. What if he doesn’t show up? Am I at the right place? Should I order food? Something with strawberries? But is that awkward that I would know about him liking strawberries? Does this place even serve strawberry things? What if he’s allergic to something…does he even drink coffee? Wait, Sehun said he did so must drink it...but maybe he's wrong. What if he’s actually a tea drinker and suggested we meet here because he thought I drank coffee! Kris’s inner monologue was interrupted by the door opening which scared him so much he fell off his chair and onto his . He promptly stood up to see who it was and instead of Tao he saw-

“Luhan? Sehun?” Luhan jumped and blushed while Sehun looked mildly interested at the appearance of the police officer. “What are you two-?”

“We’re on a date,” Sehun said, slinging his arm across Luhan’s shoulders.

Luhan looked surprised. “But you said you wanted to try the bubble tea at this shop!”

“Getting bubble tea can be a date right?” Luhan ducked his head to hide his smile. Sehun noticed and the corners of his lips turned up. “Tao’s on his way. He’s just trying to figure out what pants will make his look good.”

, I’m screwed. “Um, okay. I’ll leave you two then. Enjoy your tea.” He went back to his table and silently observed the roommate and nurse. Sehun paid for both their drinks and slid his hand into Luhan’s as they left the café. Both of them waved to Kris as they walked down the sidewalk and out of sight. Well that was unexpected. Wait, what am I saying I totally should have seen that coming. Kris was about to begin another inner monologue when the door opened again and he jumped, letting out a “!” He covered his face in his hands, mentally scolding himself at how easy it was to scare him.

“You know I thought it would be hard to find you, but you’re the only person I know who swears in English.” Kris quickly sat up straight. Tao was here. And he was grinning at him. He wore wearing tight black jeans (thanks for the heads up Sehun), a white t-shirt, a black jacket, and black sneakers. He sat down opposite of Kris. “Sorry I’m late, Sehun was hogging the shower forever. Apparently he needs to look extra good when he gets bubble tea.”

Kris grinned. “No he doesn’t he needs to look extra good for the guy he went to get tea with.”

Tao’s eyes grew wide. “What?”

“He came before you did to get bubble tea.”

“Really?”

“With the nurse who helped you.”

“NO WAY.”

“Yeah.”

“That sneaky er…” Tao mumbled. Kris laughed. “Hey, at least I swear in Korean. Why do you swear in English?”

“I moved to Canada when I was four.”

“Then you came to Korea for high school, right?”

Kris raised his eyebrows. “I'm surprised you remembered. But yeah, I came here for high school and ended up staying. I swear in English just in case there are little kids around. And cuz I wasn’t able to drop the habit. Plus the chief can’t scold me cuz he can’t understand English. I tried swearing in Chinese but English swears come more natural.”

It was Tao’s turn to laugh now. “That’s some interesting reasoning you have. Oh, before I forget…” Tao pushed a bag toward Kris. How did I not notice that bag? “Your clothes. I washed them. By the way, where did you get the boots? They’re really comfortable.”

“They’re police issued so I have no idea.”

“Oh.” Tao laughed again, nervously. “I keep forgetting you’re a police officer. How do I address you?”

“Just Kris is fine. I’m not on duty or anything.”

“Can I call you Kris-ge?” Hell yes you can call me Kris-ge you adorable ing panda.

Kris rubbed the back of his neck, smiling a little. “Um, sure. No one’s ever called me ‘ge’ before.”

“Cool. So what do you want to eat? I owe you lunch.”

“I don’t know, I didn’t look at the menu.” They were both silent as they looked over all of the menu options. “I think I want dessert here, never mind lunch.”

“I agree. Let’s order?”

Ten minutes later, they sat down with one cappuccino, one Americano, one slice of strawberry cheesecake, two muffins, and some sort of cream-filled pastry that the barista recommended.

“I think I’ve found heaven,” Kris said, taking a bite from the cheesecake. “Tao, you have to try this.”

“Is it okay to share?”

“I don’t care, it’s just a damn good cheesecake. Now hurry up and eat it before I change my mind.”

Tao immediately took some and he groaned a little as he started chewing. “This is my new favorite place. I need to come back here when I need dessert.”

“I agree.” They ate in a comfortable silence for a bit when something occurred to Kris. He propped his chin up with his hand. “Hey Tao, I was meaning to ask.”

“Yeah?”

“How did your portfolio go?” Tao groaned. “That bad?”

“No it went fine, I’m just dead tired from it. I pulled an all-nighter to get it done, but my professor was happy so that’s a good sign.”

“What did you have to take a picture of?”

“‘Humans in nature’. I was trying to get a picture of the people at lunchtime mingling with the scenery.” Tao now grew serious. “Speaking of that day, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Would you uh…mind if I used a photo of you for my portfolio? You were in uniform so my professor told me to ask you.”

Kris was surprised. “You took a picture of me?”

Tao nodded. He took off his backpack, reached inside, and pulled out a manila folder. He passed it to Kris. “You were the only one interacting with nature.”

Kris opened the folder and stared at the photo inside. It was him with his sandwich in one hand feeding the swans. It was perfect. Tao had just managed to capture him smiling as one swan was bending to retrieve a piece and the other stretched his neck out to receive the piece that was falling. There was no glint on his sunglasses and his hair was just beginning to fall over one eye, making him look somewhat like a model. The picture was in sharp focus and in black and white. “Wow. This is awesome.”

“You aren’t mad?”

“Can I have a copy?”

“You can keep that one if you want…so does that mean I can use it?”

“I would be sad if you didn’t, you made me look attractive.”

Tao laughed once. “No, you did that on your own.” Kris looked up at Tao who just realized what came out of his mouth. “Uhh…so thanks. I’m glad I won’t have to redo it.” He finished lamely. His ears were red.

“No problem.” They were silent. Kris cleared his throat. “So uh…I’m finished. Want to go?”

“Sure.” They both threw the trash out and Kris gathered the bag and the picture. They stepped out into the cold air. They started walking silently, both of them trying to figure out a good conversation topic.

Suddenly there were two beeps and a “WATCH OUT!” Tao felt a tug on his sleeve and he was pulled into Kris’s chest as they hit the wall of a shop. Tao turned and saw a scooter zoom past where he was standing not a second earlier. He exhaled and turned back to Kris who was cursing under his breath.

“ing scooter. Are you okay?” Kris scanned Tao’s face and body for any injury, not letting him go from his arms around Tao’s shoulders.

“I’m fine.” He chuckled. “You saved me again, Officer Wu,” he teased as he gently pulled away. He already missed Kris’s body heat.

“I guess so,” Kris said. Then an idea struck him. “I guess this means you owe me lunch again.”

Tao smiled and began walking. “Sure. At this rate, maybe I should keep you around.”

Tao heard quick footsteps and he jumped a little as he felt a hand slide into his. Kris was now looking at him seriously. “Maybe you should. I wouldn’t mind staying.”

Tao’s heart was thumping loudly. He didn’t expect Kris to be so bold…but he liked it. He smiled slightly and interlaced their fingers. “I guess I’m stuck with you then.” Kris returned his smile and they continued walking. Later at the park Tao learned why Kris's favorite animal was a dragon. He laughed so hard that Kris had to kiss him to make him shut up.

END

 

A/N: Thanks for reading guys! It's finally over. I hope you enjoyed it!