Chapter 4

Skin to Skin

The ride to the hospital was slow because of the combination of bad traffic and construction work. However Tao was feeling a little more alert but tired since all his adrenaline had left.

“Sir you can’t fall asleep yet, we have to have the doctors examine you first.”

He nodded at the EMT. “Okay…” He pulled Kris’s hand beneath the blanket and hugged it to his chest.

“Um…Tao, I’m not keeping you warm…um…you can let go…”

“Your hands are cold.”

“Huh? Uh yeah, I guess.”

“I’m warming them up for you,” Tao mumbled. Yeah, this kid is ing adorable. He didn’t move the entire way to the hospital. Even when they exited the ambulance, he still held onto his hand. He only let go when the ER doctors asked him to move, but he remained close. While one doctor examined Tao, another came over with a clipboard and began taking down patient information. “Sir, what is your relation to the patient,” the doctor asked.

“None, I-”

“Then we’ll have to ask you to leave sir.” The doctor tried to lead him away but Kris dug in his heels.

“No, I’ll need to-”

“Sir, please don’t be difficult, I need you to ask to leave for his privacy.”

“I understand that but-”

“Sir, you need to-”

“SHUT UP AND LET HIM TALK DAMNIT!” All the doctors and nurses paused as Luhan made his appearance after fetching a complex looking machine. Kris took the opportunity to root around in his pants pockets. He pulled out his badge and held it eyelevel to the doctor. “I’m a police officer. I’m the one that pulled him out of the water and assisted Luhan. I stayed with the patient because he asked me to. I’m not leaving because I need a statement from him and his roommate who’s on his way. Now can I stay?”

The stunned doctor nodded and walked away, mumbling something about vital signs. Kris watched and waited as close as possible without being a nuisance. Luhan came after helping with the equipment. Kris smirked. “So you're in charge of de-briefing me?”

Luhan cracked a smile. “Something like that.”

Kris chuckled. “How is he?”

“He’ll be okay, we’re moving him to recovery-”

“WHERE THE IS TAO?!”

Kris sighed. “I’m gonna guess that’s the roommate,” he said, waving at the frantic boy. The roommate practically teleported to Kris and Luhan’s side. “Are you Tao’s roommate?”

“Yeah, I’m Oh Sehun. What happened to Tao,” the silver-haired boy asked. “And why the hell are you shirtless?”

Luhan luckily cut in. “I ordered him to. My name’s Luhan and I was on scene and told him to use the skin-to-skin method.” Kris looked surprised as the roommate listened, enraptured to Luhan’s detailed account of the rescue of his friend. He nodded when Luhan finished. “…when we came here, we examined him and nothing appears to be wrong. We gave him an IV but he’s mainly just dead exhausted from using up all his adrenaline, so we’re letting him sleep in recovery now. I’ll take you over now if you like. Kris and Sehun nodded and walked alongside Luhan down a hallway.

“…Thanks...for saving my friend. If it wasn’t for you two he probably would have frozen to death like I warned him.” He huffed in annoyance which caused Luhan to smile and chuckle and for Sehun to stare at the nurse.

Kris smirked at their behavior. “Speaking of freezing, you wouldn’t happen to have a spare set of clothes for Tao to wear when he leaves do you? His clothes are still drying.”

Sehun groaned. “…I don’t. I was on my way to the bus when I got the call and we were waiting in traffic for an hour just to get here. Didn’t think of it.”

Kris pulled out his phone. “No problem, I’ll just tell my partner to grab another set of mine since he’s bringing clothes for me anyway.”

Sehun’s head whipped around to look at Kris. “Partner?”

“Yeah, my partner.”

“You’re gay?!”

“Wha-not-I’m a police officer!”

You’re a police officer?”

Kris nodded and quickly dialed Chanyeol before any more awkward comments could ensue. “Hey Yeol, have you left the precinct yet?”

“No, I just got here. Traffic was hell man, but I think it’s getting better since they opened a new lane half an hour ago.”

“Okay, can you grab me two sets of my clothes?”

“Um…sure. Why?”

“The victim’s clothes were soaked and he doesn’t have a spare set.” He’s about my size anyway.

“What about the roommate? Can he bring some?”

“No, he’s already here. He was on his way to the bus when you called. So…two spare sets of clothes, my boots-they’re under my desk-and a couple copies of that form we use for statements.”

“Wait, we have to take statements? It’s our 300th Day…”

“I’ll take the statements Yeol, you can go on your date with your boyfriend. You owe me lunch though.”

“Sweet! Thanks Kris!” Kris hung up and realized he was no longer walking with the other two. They turned and realized he missed the door by a couple steps. The roommate was staring at him.

“…what is it?”

“Your partner has a boyfriend?”

“Yeah.”

“You don’t care?”

“…no, I know his boyfriend. Nice guy."

“Tao is a nice guy,” Sehun mumbled under his breath. Kris and Luhan barely caught the statement and understood the implications.

“And you?” Sehun was now facing Luhan.

Luhan was flustered. “Uh, I don’t actually know Kris personally or his partner…but I’m sure he’s probably a good person.” Sehun’s lip twitched like he wanted to smile but he remained silent. Luhan slid the door open and led them into a room with six hospital beds. Luckily it wasn’t a busy day, so Tao was alone in the room.

Sehun had a blank expression on his face as he walked over to observe Tao in the bed. He walked back over to Kris and Luhan. “What happened to the kayak?”

“It’s getting fished out by a friend of mine. You can come by the precinct tomorrow to pick it up,” Kris stated.

Sehun nodded. “What happened to his ?”

“You mean his camera?” Sehun nodded again. “We got it. It’s on the opposite side of the bed with his wallet and phone. It was in a waterproof bag so it looks like it’s fine.”

“Thank goodness for that. It’s a loan from the college and he’d be dead if anything happened to it.” Kris nodded, but internally he wondered how much that piece of technology was worth for Tao’s roommate to worry over.

Sehun slowly walked over to the bedside again to observe Tao. He was asleep and still a little pale, but otherwise he was fine. “Any idea when he’ll wake up,” he asked, looking at Luhan.

“Hard to say. I’m guessing he was pretty tired before all this happened so his body will want to sleep longer to recover.”

Sehun nodded “I’ll sit with him for a while.” Luhan nodded and left. Sehun dragged a chair next to the bed and sighed.

Kris pulled out his notepad and also grabbed a chair. “Sehun-sshi, I’d like to ask you for a statement about the events prior to this," he said gesturing to Tao on the bed. "It’s just so I can write an incident report since this was an accident.” Sehun nodded and gave him a brief rendition of the conversation he and Tao had yesterday. When he was done speaking he glanced at his watch. His eyebrows shot up. “. I’m gonna be late for class.”

Kris nodded. “That’s fine. I’ll stay until he wakes up, I need his statement anyway.”

Sehun nodded once and bowed. He was just about to head out the door when he turned around and looked thoughtfully at Kris.

“…Wha-”

“He’s single you know, Tao. He likes coffee and strawberry cake.” Then he left. He was halfway down the hall when he noticed Luhan behind the counter at the nurse station. He smirked deviously, pulled out a pad of paper and pen and scribbled something down. He folded it and began walking over to the nurse station. Immediately the female nurses began whispering and giggling at the cute boy who had stopped by.

Luhan turned to see who it was and also promptly blushed. “Sehun-sshi, is there anything I can help you with?”

“Yes, actually. I have to leave for class, but I was wondering if you could text me when he wakes up,” he asked smoothly, sliding the folded paper across the counter to the male nurse.

Luhan’s face was still red as he accepted the paper and held it in his hand with his clipboard. “I’ll be sure to do that. If you’ll excuse me, I have to check on a patient.” He had just gotten out from behind the counter when he felt a pull backwards and he hit something solid. It took a second but he realized Sehun had pulled him back with one arm reaching across both his shoulders and he was now back-to-chest with the younger man.

Sehun leaned down to speak in his ear. “Thanks for everything…Luhan-ge.” Slowly he unwrapped himself from Luhan; his hand brushed along Luhan’s left shoulder, then his collarbone, and finally his right shoulder. His fingers briefly slid along the back of his neck briefly before Sehun’s hand fell and he walked away. Luhan’s cheeks were now burning but he walked to the patients room with his head down. With his head at this angle he was able to see Sehun’s note and he paused outside the patient’s room to read it.

You’re cute hyung. Bubble tea?

-Oh Sehun

He smiled and pulled out his phone to save the number. The kid was cute and he did like bubble tea…

 

A/N: 5 chapters, that's it. I PROMISE. Sorry this took so long.