Chapter 1

Skin to Skin

A/N: Okay guys, so I don’t know if this is even geographically accurate but let’s pretend it is cuz the rest of this story was imagined anyway. It was actually based off of the actions of a police officer in Canada back in May. I added stuff to make it intense and fanfic worthy. Also, I’m not very medically inclined so forgive me if it is a bit wonky.

“Tao you’re ing crazy.”

Tao sighed and ran his hands through his short silver-dyed hair. “PLEASE Sehun, I just need to borrow it for, I dunno…an hour. Maybe two. I need it for my photography portfolio, PLEASE.”

“Hell no.” Tao began using his puppy-dog eyes. “Nuh-uh, no amount of pouting or whatever the hell that is, is gonna convince me to let you borrow my kayak to take one picture.” Sehun plopped onto the couch in their small apartment to watch TV as he ate a late dinner. Tao immediately followed to pout at him from another angle. “C’mon can’t you take the final shot from…I dunno…on land?"

Tao sighed he already explained this. He was trying his hardest to keep his voice even. “Because Sehun, I am a senior. Seniors have to do photography portfolios to graduate. I’m finished with all but ONE of my portfolios. My professor says for my ‘humans and nature’ portfolio-”

“Hold on, I thought you were doing a portrait portfolio.”

“I had to do one of those too, but I already finished with that one. Anyway, my professor says I have some really good shots but I don’t have any that really incorporate water. So she suggested Han River.”

“So it was your idea to go out on the water?”

“Yeah, I don’t want her to think I half-assed it.”

“Why couldn’t you do this on a beach?”

“Cuz no one is on the beach in April, the buses out of Seoul are slow from the new construction, no one we know is going to let me borrow a car on such short notice, and I need to hand this in on Friday. Today is Tuesday. My professor only told me TODAY that my portfolio was missing water, so I have to take the pictures tomorrow and spend the rest of Wednesday AND Thursday developing them so I don’t get marked as incomplete.” Tao huffed, annoyed. His professor had deemed his portfolio perfect last week when he saw her and now she was telling him otherwise.

Sehun blinked slowly. “Oh…wow that .” Tao nodded, slouching into the couch and sighing deeply. There was a pause. “You know that it could be dangerous.”

Tao cracked a smile. “You’re my roommate, not my mom. I’ll be careful. Besides, the weather for tomorrow is supposed to be really nice. It is almost May.”

“Yeah, which means the water’s gonna be ing COLD.”

“I’ll wear layers, it’s not like I’m planning to swim.”

Sehun smirked. “I can see the newspaper headlines now. ‘University Senior Huang Zitao dies from icy drowning at the age of 22.’”

“I’ll wear your lifejacket then. Problem solved.” Sehun still looked unconvinced. “I’ll buy you bubble tea for you for a month.”

“Done.”

“Seriously?” Sehun nodded. Tao hugged him, laughing and rubbing his head. “THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOU’VE SAVED ME!!!”

“Yeah, yeah,” Sehun said, pushing Tao off him.

 

*          *          *

The next day at lunch Tao was dressed warmly (almost too warm he thought) and was standing with Sehun’s bright red kayak near a popular lunch spot along the river. The weather was uncommonly warm for late April. It was a beautiful day; the sun was shining brightly, there were few clouds, and it was warm enough that you only needed a light jacket.

Tao checked his camera. He brought an SLR he borrowed from the University which would only use black and white film. He popped the film in, checked the lighting, and placed the camera and his phone carefully in water-tight bags before launching the kayak into the river.

Tao paddled a ways out before stopping to observe the people on land. Most of them were sitting on benches or blankets near the water, but none were close enough to the water for a ‘human and nature’ shot. Tao was about to give an exasperated sigh when just out of the left corner of his eye he caught a grey figure and two light ones near a dock that barely jutted into the water. Tao paddled closer and smiled. The two white figures were swans and the grey figure was a man or more specifically, a police officer. Tao squinted to see what he was doing. “Is he…?” The police officer was throwing things to the swans and they were eating them. Perfect.

Tao whipped out his camera from his jacket and shivered a little, realizing how cold his fingers were. He quickly began focusing his camera and double checking the many functions. He paused a second after he focused the camera to stare. “Wow, he’s hot.” Tao preferred male lovers and he had to admit, said hot man looked good in his uniform and aviator sunglasses. He was tall, slender, brown haired, and thankfully still feeding the swans when Tao snapped out of his daze. Geez, you know when you’re stressed when you give up staring at a hot guy for taking pictures of him feeding swans. On second thought, that’s not too bad at all. The police officer was casually leaning against the low railing, eating a sandwich and throwing the crust to the birds. Tao focused on the swans first and took pictures of them nibbling the food. Tao slowly moved the focus of the camera up toward the man and out further to get a larger view. The shutter clicked just as the police officer smiled at the birds. Hot damn he’s good looking.

Tao had been so enraptured in taking pictures he hadn’t noticed the wind had picked up. He was about to take another shot when he realized the lighting had gotten a lot darker and looked up. The sky was now dark grey. “Oh .” 

 

A/N: So...I lied. This is gonna be a two-shot. Oops.