Under Our Breath

Love Makes Us

point-of-view: Seokjin (Jin)

Word count; 1829

The last few days have been quite busy; between practicing for our new album and losing members in the middle of the night, everyone’s been a little stressed. I try to help lighten the load by cooking or cleaning for them; little things to help them feel more relaxed and it seems to be working, even slightly. When they fall asleep on the couch, or even the floor, I will lay a comforter or quilt on them to keep the boys from getting sick. Unfortunately, this means Mama Jin doesn’t have time to himself. I tend to carry a book with me along with my earbuds and a bit of change. Just enough to get a small drink while I relax.

“Seokjin-hyung!” Jimin comes running in, “Have you see my shirt I got from L.A?”

“In your drawer.”

“When did it get there?”

“I put it there after I did laundry.” I sigh and shake my head as he thanks me before running into the room to get his shirt. Standing up, I shove the bit of change into my pocket and hold the book under my arm. Sunglasses and a hat shades my features as I move to leave the stuffy dorm.

Today is our day off meaning the boys are all off doing their own thing. Yoongi is probably sleeping; Taehyung out at that amusement park with the new ride; and the rest of the boys are sleeping in with the exception of a studying Jungkook and a puttering Jimin. The dorm is a mess once again and so I feel the need to get out into a more relaxed and clean atmosphere. I know of a few nice places to go and read but the best idea is this bookstore-café just a few blocks away. It’s tucked away into a corner so not many people go there but it is fresh and smells of aged books.

“I’m going.” I call out as I close the door behind me; no one answers.

I decide against listening to music and instead hum softly while I walk down back roads to get to my destination. A light smile dances around on my face as I strut confidently down the sidewalk, stopping every once in a while to look into the shops around me. As I reach the little shop labeled ‘Quaint’ in bold English letters, my smile only deepens. Even in the grey light, everything seems to glow almost white, creating a beautiful effect. Taehyung and Hoseok, and now Jungkook, always brag about seeing colours but I’ve never really saw it as that big of a deal. I mean, why would you see colours when it distracts you from other kinds of beauty like the way the glass creates prancing light to bounce off of it? It’s a mystery to me.

Open the door, the bell rings quietly throughout the empty store. Bookcases line every wall with books crowding the narrow shelves. I weave through these, making my way to the steep staircase at the back corner that leads to the second floor café. When I reach the top, I breathe in deeply, removing my sunglasses and hat before sitting down near the window. Everything is a warm grey, making me feel at home and safe. Pulling out my book, I begin to calmly read the passages written. My mouth follows the words but I am soon interrupted by a pretty waitress. We catch eye contact as she takes me order. I admire her deep grey eyes as she smiles, “What would you like?”

“Just a coffee with sugar and milk.”

“Okay,” She takes down the note on her pad, “Anything else?”

“No thank you,” I lean closer to read her nametag, “Amanda.”

Amanda’s foreign features look taken aback as I say her name, “Oh, um, you’re welcome. I’ll be right over with your order.”

I nod and watch as she youthfully bounces away to the counter in the middle of the café. She looks to be about Jungkook’s age. Opening my book again, I go back to reading the black ink carefully etched into the pages of the novel. This is a story of a boy and a girl, the girl is sick and doesn’t have much time to live but the boy refuses to leave her despite her protests of not wanting to fall in love and hurt him. It’s quite sad but also very heartwarming. I’m about half way through and I don’t plan on finishing it in public because I just know I will tear up at the ending. Flipping the next page, Amanda returns with my order which I politely thank for and she moves away to welcome a new customer.

As I sip my coffee, I watch the young waitress seat the girl with silky black hair. Amanda says something but the girl responds with writing on a notepad. The waitress nods and writes back to her. Maybe she’s sick?

Curiosity is beginning to wash over me as I watch the girl’s soft features when she laughs at something Amanda writes to her. I don’t look away when the girl notices me watching her, there’s nothing to be ashamed of. She’s beautiful and so I will stare. She smiles shyly at me and opens her own book; something that looks like a music book. Finally, I look away from the girl, back to my own world of a romantic tragedy.

 Hearing some movement, I up to see the girl sit across from me. She smiles softly and holds up the same book I am currently reading. The girl waves over Amanda with her order, bowing lightly in thanks. She’s oddly quiet, not making much noise in both her movement and looks. She opens her book, looking at me to see if it’s alright to sit with me. I nod calmly and watch as she takes a sip of her extra sweet ice-cappuccino. As she reads, I begin to notice the colour has washed over the place. I’m oddly calm as I watch her take another sip of her creamy brown drink, turning the pages of the burgundy coloured book. She doesn’t seem to notice the colours or maybe she’s just having a quietly calm realization as I am.

“What’s your name?” I ask quietly, closing my book and setting it beside my empty coffee cup. When she doesn’t look up, I ask a little louder, “Miss? What’s your name?” Again, no answer, so I tap her hand as it reaches for the white cup. I chuckle lightly when she jumps in surprise, “Good book?”

She only looks at me with a confused expression before reaching for her oversized, pastel blue phone. With light fingers, she types something out for me before flipping over the phone and smiling softly. “Hello! My Chinese name is Yun but you can call me Emily!

I smile before introducing myself, “My name is Jin.”

Emily shakes her head lightly before deleting and retyping a new message, “I was born deaf. I can’t hear you… ^^;”

Blinking a few times, it takes a few seconds for it to sink in before I pull out my own phone. I smile softly before showing her a message, “My name is Seokjin but a lot of people call me Jin.

“Seokjin? Jin? Oh my! Like Bangtan’s Jin!” She flutters her eyelashes in surprise.

I smile bashfully, secretly happy that she’s heard of me and my brothers, “Yes! Do you like our music?

Yes! I can’t listen to your music but you all dance very beautifully and are very funny!”

I can’t help but blush deeply at the compliment, her eyes glitter with genuine admiration. “Thank you!”

We sit quietly for a second, taking in each other’s appearance and shy smiles. Emily is the first one to begin chatting again, “I’m sorry…that I’m like this…”

I’m genuinely confused, “Like what?

The fact that I can’t hear…or speak…it is very inconvenient to talk to each other like this.”

Is it? I like it…

…really?” Her eyes look hopeful as she shows me her phone screen.

Really.

Emily looks as if she’s about to cry but instead she just quietly sniffs and smiles happily, “Okay! Then let’s talk a lot!

I nod, agreeing with the pretty, quiet girl.

--

About an hour later, we are still messaging each other. We’ve traded phone numbers so it is easier to message. We sit side by side, playing quiet games and laughing lightly. When I make an awkward joke that would have others cringing, she just giggles. “You have a pretty laugh.

Really? I wouldn’t know!” Emily laughs once more, a light laugh with a quiet snort if she laughs a little too hard.

Do you know sign language?

She gives me a look of sarcasm, “Duhhh.

Teach me some.” Emily tilts her head, looking at me with an expression that says ‘why’. “I want to be able to talk to you more without our phones.

She nods and agrees to it. “This is the alphabet.” The girl begins to slowly move her hands around, lightly mouthing the words. I repeat her movements, purposely doing it wrong a couple of times so she can correct me with a soft laugh. “You do it by yourself.”

I slowly go through the letters, determined to do it properly. When finished, I look at her for approval and she claps her hands together. “Did I do it right?”

Yes! Good! You did very well, Jinnie!”

Jinnie!?”

Nickname ^^”

Hmmm, okay Emmie!”

Emmie looks weird!”

It’s cute, just like you!”

“… >///<”

I laugh at her blushing face as she cups her own face in embarrassment. She refuses to make eye contact so I move a little closer, forcing the eye contact. Emmie hits my arm playfully, annoyed of my intrusion. “I-I have to go!” She stands suddenly, realizing the time.

Smiling, I stand with her, “I’ll walk you to the bus stop.

O-okay…” She smiles again as we push in our chairs and begin making our way out. We bow politely to Amanda who waves us off, her dark brown hair contrasting prettily against her pale skin. As we head out we almost knock over an overexcited Jungkook.

“Jungkook?” I ask in confusion, looking at a small present he has in his hands. “What are you doing here?”

“N-nothing.” He slides past us, avoiding our curious gazes and jumping up the stairs, two at a time.

Emmie looks at me, tilting her head as if asking a question. Thinking back, I try to remember the sign for ‘friend’. Slowly, I move my hands to say ‘my friend’. She smiles proudly at my improvement before walking out in front of me. The walk to the bus is quick but I wait with her until the bus comes. She bows kindly before getting on the bus. Emmie sits by the window so she can wave as the bus pulls away. I wave back.