Shade 4

The Pinkish Shade of MinWoo

JINWOO’s POV

When I arrive home later, Seungyoon is wearing headphones and working something on his laptop, probably arranging his latest composition. His nose is still pink though he looks much better than his morning state, but I know he has to finish this quickly for the impending monthly evaluation, so he’s concentrating hard on the laptop screen. I guess Seunghoon and Taehyun are already fast asleep. I’m thoroughly drained – exhausted, I had a long day. I had to stay back for practice since I came late because of that gruelling orientation and interview. Gah! Speaking of interview.

“So hyung, how’s the new trainee?” Seungyoon started without peeling his eyes from his work.

 I slump on to the couch, thinking about the lyrics I have yet to memorize, because I was holed up with… him. Why do they always choose a foreign song that’s so hard to learn?

 

“Don’t even start with me about that Seungyoon-ah. I’m dead tired. Let me regain my strength before we start a nagging battle.” He gives me a fleeting quizzical look.

 

“Why are you so caught up with this, hyung? Did something else happen today?”

 

I flush, and my heart rate inexplicably increases. Well, if you call his ‘obvious display of adoration’ - in Seunghoon’s words, as the something else that happened then there’s surely something. I realize I’m biting my lip, and I hope Seungyoon doesn’t notice. But he seems absorbed in his work though.

 

“I heard from maknae that he’s one good-looking son of a , is he?” Seungyoon continued when I didn’t reply. I flush.

 

“I suppose so.” I try hard to sound disinterested.

 

He glances up at me speculatively. “So what did you really think of him?” Damn, he’s inquisitive. Why can’t he just let this go? Think of something – quick.

 

“He’s very goal driven, at one point I think he’s scary, but in a charismatic kind of way. I feel like there’s a cute and bubbly side of him though.” I add truthfully, I got up and busied myself in the kitchen for something to bite.

 

“Why did you want to know if he was gay? Incidentally, that was the most embarrass­ing question. I was mortified, and he was shocked to be asked too.” Are you gay?  Ugh! I scowl at the memory.

 

“Whenever we’ll have a new trainee, I always ask that question. They just have to answer truthfully. No big deal.” He nonchalantly said.

 

“It was embarrassing. The whole thing was embarrassing. I’m glad I’ll only get to see him in the practice rooms, I don’t know what to do if he’ll be assigned in our dorm.”

 

“Oh, hyung, it couldn’t be that bad. I heard he was really fond of you.” He glance at me while wigglinf his eyebrows. Now Seungyoon’s being ridiculous.

 

“Would you like a sandwich?” I ignored.

 

“Please.”

We talk no more of the damn interview and the new trainee that evening, much to my relief. Once we’ve eaten, I’m able to sit at the living room with Seungyoon and, while he works on his composition, I work on memorizing the lyrics of our song for the monthly evaluation. By the time I finish memorizing, it was already 2 in the morning. Hey don’t judge me, it was in English, okay. Seungyoon has long since gone to bed. I make my way to my room, exhausted, but pleased that I’ve accom­plished so much for a Monday.

 

I curl up in my soft warm bed, wrapping my blanket around me, close my eyes, and I’m instantly asleep. That night I dreamt of a pink room, cold floors, and dark eyes.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning I had to wake up early for my part time job. Yes, most of the trainees will have part time jobs. A lot of us came from an average family who can’t all be supported by our parents, especially my parents. Though our dorm and food are free, we still have to earn at least for our personal expenses. Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays are my off day and I only work half day from Tuesday to Friday. I’m working at a well-known branch of a general merchandise store. “We have what you need,” that’s our store tagline. Basically name what you need, we have it. From our DIY section, to stationaries, pet supplies and stuffs-that-shouldn’t-be-mentioned, we have it all at our store.  It’s located somewhere near YG Trainee Building and not far from our dorm. That itself is already a blessing.

 

That day at the store is a nightmare. We are attacked by do-it-yourselfers wanting to shape up their homes and hormonal teenagers buying their oppas gifts. Jackson and Mark – the two other part-timers – and I are all rushed off our feet. But there’s a calm around lunchtime, and our store manager asks me to check on some orders while I’m sitting behind the counter and discreetly eating my doughnuts. I’m engrossed in the task, I cannot bring my clumsy self at my work, so I must concentrate. I have to finish this before I knock off at 2 o’clock so I can rush to my training. Then, for some reason, I glance up… and find myself locked in the playful gaze of Song Mino who’s standing at the counter, staring at me closely.

 

Heart failure.

 

“Jinwoo hyung. What a pleasant surprise.” He grinned at me.

 

Holy crap. What the hell is he doing here with his dishevelled-hair in his plain white oversize tees and, shorts? I think my mouth has popped open, and I can’t locate my brain or my voice.

 

“Mino-ssi,” I whisper, because that’s all I can manage. He grinned wider and his eyes are alight with humor, as if he’s enjoying some private joke.

 

“I was in the area,” he says by way of explanation. “I need to stock up on a few things. You see, one of our handlers sent me a text message last night telling me that I can finally move to my dorm, how cool is that?” His voice is warm and husky like dark melted chocolate fudge caramel… or something.

 

I shake my head to gather my wits. My heart is pounding frantically, and for some reason I’m blushing furiously. I am utterly thrown by the sight of him standing before me. What the hell is wrong with me?

 

“I work here as a part timer.” I mutter. Not that he asked though.“What can I help you with?”

 

He smiles, and again it’s like he’s on to some big secret. It is so bewildering. Tak­ing a deep breath, I put on my professional you’ve-got-this-Jinwoo face. I can do this.

 

“There are a few items I need. To start with, I’d like some cable ties, the colourful ones please.” he murmurs, his dark eyes cool but amused.

Cable ties?

 

“We stock various lengths. Shall I show you?” I said, my voice soft and wavery. Get a grip, Jinwoo. Mino’s grin even widely, if that’s still possible.

 

“Please. Lead the way, hyung,” he says. I try for nonchalance as I come out from behind the counter, but really I’m concentrating hard on not falling over my own feet – my legs are suddenly the consistency of Jell-O. I’m so glad I decided to wear my best jeans this morning.

 

“They’re in with the DIY section, aisle eight.” My voice is a little too bright, like faking-bright. I glance up at him and regret it almost immediately. Damn, he’s charisma. I blush.

 

“After you,” he murmurs, gesturing with his long-, beautifully manicured hand.

 

With my heart almost strangling me – because it’s in my throat trying to escape from my mouth – I head down one of the aisles to the DIY section. Why is he here at our store? And from a very tiny, underused part of my brain – probably located at the base of my cerebrum that professor X can’t even locate, where my subconscious dwells – comes the thought: maybe he came to see you. No way! I dismiss it immediately. The idea is absurd, and I kick it out of my head. Why would I even think of that?

 

“Will you be at YG later?” I ask out of nowhere, and my voice is too high, like I’ve got my finger trapped in a door or something. Of course, he’s a trainee there, duh!

 

“I will probably go there later in the afternoon, I have to pack my stuffs for my dorm transfer, that’s why I’m here to get what I need for my packing,” he says matter-of-factly. See? Not here to find you at all, my subconscious mocks me, loud, proud, and pouty.

 

“All part of your entertainment industry domination?” I tease.

 

“Something like that,” he acknowledges, and his lips quirk up in a smile.

 

He gazes at the selection of cable ties we stock while pouting and holding his chin, contemplating. He’ll probably use it to tie some of his things for easy packing. His fingers trail across the various packages displayed, and for some inexplicable reason, I have to look away. He bends and selects a packet. Yes, he selected the colourful ones.

 

“These will do, I don’t like the boring plain colours,” he says with his oh-so-secret smile, and I blush.

 

“Is there anything else?”

 

“I’d like some fancy tape, hyung. Do you have those here?”

 

Fancy tape?

 

“Are you decorating the boxes you’re using?” The words are out before I can stop them.

 

“Well, technically not for decoration, but I can use it that way too,” he says quickly then smirks, and I have the uncanny feeling that he’s laughing at me.

 

Am I that funny? Funny looking? I should stop asking him silly questions.

 

“This way,” I murmur embarrassed. “Fancy tapes are in the stationary aisle, in different colours and designs.” I glance behind me as he follows.

 

“Have you worked here long?” His voice is low, and he’s gazing at me. His eyes have a glint of amusement and something I can’t quite point. I blush even more brightly. Why the hell does he have this effect on me? I feel like I’m fourteen years old – and.. *gulp* a-and..g-gay? Shut the up Kim Jinwoo! You’re just awkward around him and maybe curious. Yes, that must be it, awkward and curious, I manage to convince myself.

 

“2 years, since I became an official trainee at YG,” I replied as we reach our goal. To distract myself, I reach down and select two designs of fancy tapes, a solid light blue colour and a glittery pink one.

 

“I’ll take that one,” Mino says pointing to the glittery tape, which I pass to him. What on earth is he going to do with that tape? Our fingers brush very briefly, and I felt an electric current zapping through me like I’ve touched an exposed wire. I gasp involuntarily as I feel it, all the way down to somewhere dark and unexplored, deep in my belly.

 

“Anything else?” My voice is husky and breathy. His eyes widen slightly.

 

“A pair of cute teddy bears?” He voiced excitedly. What? A pair of teddy bears? I gathered all my strength to keep my mouth shut. Whatever he’s planning to do with those poor teddy bears is none of my concern.

 

“This way.” I duck my head down to hide my baffled thoughts just in case it shows.

“Here are the choices of teddies in our stock.” I said pointing to the aisle in the toy section. I halt at his expression, his eyes glowing and mouth almost drooling. Holy cow! What a maniac!

 

“I’ll take this pair please. And that would be all.” He pointed. I grab the pair of teddy bears with unsure hands and lead him back to the counter.

 

“What is your thing, hyung?” he asks, his voice soft and his secret smile is back. I gaze at him unable to express myself. I’m on shifting tectonic plates. Try and be cool, Jinwoo, my tortured subconscious begs on bended knee.

 

“Games,” I whisper, but inside, my subconscious is screaming: You! You are my thing! I slap it down instantly, mortified that my psyche is having life of its own.

 

“What kind of games?” He his head to one side. Why is he so interested?

 

“Oh, you know. The usual online addictive games.”

 

He rubs his chin with his long index finger and thumb as he contemplates my answer. “I think I also love games, especially the addictive ones.” He mused loudly.

 

“That would be 23,000 won.” I have to get off this subject – those fingers on that face are so annoyingly absorbing.

 

He took out his wallet. “By the way hyung, I heard from our handler that we’ll have a photo shoot and video recording this coming weekend, do you know what’s it for?” He’s finally asked me a normal question, away from all the suggestive and confusing double talk… a question I can answer.

“Yeah, we do the photo shoot and video recording before every end of the month for the monthly evaluation. It’s only for archiving purposes, nothing serious.”

 

Mino raises an eyebrow. “What sort of photographs and videos do they take then?”

 

“Depends what kind of photos they want. Sometimes they’ll just take profile shots. Sometimes they’ll take candid shots like during dance or vocal practice. Don’t you have this in your previous agency?”

 

He shook his head grinning. “Oh, I’m really excitedly. I hope they’ll do profile shots so I’ll see your cute expressions while looking at the camera.” He said dreamily. I coughed and cleared my throat.

 

And you might see his cute expression too, that dark place at the base of my brain whispers seductively at me. I coughed even harder. “Ehem, excuse me.”

 

“JINWOO HYUNGGG!”

 

Hanbin has materialized near the entrance of the store. He’s one of my dongsae trainee, he’ll usually fetch me at my work then we’ll walk together to the training center.

 

“Err, excuse me for a while, Mino-ssi.” Mino frowns as I turn away from him.

 

Hanbin has always been a buddy, and in this awkward long confusing chat with Mino, it’s great to have someone normal around.

 

“Hanbin-ah, you’re 30 minutes early today.” He grins and drapes a possessive arm over my shoulder, I don’t mind though, he’s just really a sweet guy.

“Yep, I was bored so I just decided to drop by early. Don’t worry I’ll wait for you. Looks like you have a customer, go back to your work hyung.” He his head towards the direction where I left Mino.

 

I look back at Mino and for a fraction of a second, he looks unreadable. The earth shifts slightly on its axis, the tectonic plates sliding into a new position. Oh my. Song Mino looks ten times menacing .

 

When I glance up at him, he’s watching us like a hawk, his ark eyes hooded and speculative, his mouth a hard impassive line. He’s changed from the weirdly over enthusastic customer to someone else – someone cold and distant.

 

I drag Hanbin over to meet him, and they weigh each other up. The atmosphere is suddenly arctic.

 

“Er, Hanbin, this is Song Mino. Mino-ssi, this is Kim Hanbin. He’s been a trainee at YG since he’s young.” And for some irrational reason, I feel I have to explain a bit more. “I’ve known Hanbin ever since I came to train at YG, we’re really close friends.” No my mouth has a life of its own too… Stop, now!

 

“What’s up, Kim Hanbin?” Mino holds his hand out, his look still incomprehensible.

 

“Song Mino,” Hanbin returns his handshake with a nod. “Wait up – Song Mino? Song Mino from Block B, the underground rapper?” Hanbin goes from uninterested to awestruck in less than a nanosecond. Mino gives him a polite smile that doesn’t reach his eyes.

 

“Wow – hyung! I’ve listened to all your mix tapes. So you’re training under YG now? That’s really cool. You need a tour around the center?” Hanbin didn’t even bother to be discreet with his fanboying.

 

“Jinwoo hyung already had it covered. He’s been really accommodating.” His expression is impassive, but his words… it’s like he’s saying something else entirely. It’s baffling.

 

“Cool,” Hanbin responds. “I’ll come back for you later, hyung.”

 

“Sure, Hanbin.” I watch him disappear towards the snack aisle. I shook his head, he’s probably getting pringles again. “By the way, here’s your receipt Mino-ssi. Please wait for your change.”

 

“Okay.” His tone is trimmed and cool. Damn… have I offended him? What is his problem? I bag the cable ties, fancy tape and the pair of teddies. I glance up at Mino, and I wish I hadn’t. He’s watching me closely, his dark eyes intense and smoky. It’s unnerving.

 

“Here you go.” I pass his items.

 

“Thank you, Jinwoo.” His tongue caresses my name, and my heart once again is frantic. I can hardly breathe. Somehow, my name without the ‘hyung’ sounds different.

 

“I’ll go ahead. See you later” He turns to leave, then pauses. “Oh – and hyung, I’m glad Seungyoon-ssi couldn’t do the orientation yesterday.” He smiles, then strides with renewed purpose out of the store, slinging the plastic bag over his shoulder, leaving me a quiver­ing mass of raging confuse hormones. I spend several minutes staring at the closed door through which he’s just left before I return to planet Earth.

Okay – I t-think, I l-like him. There, I’ve admitted it to myself. I’ve never felt like this before. I find him attractive, very attractive. But it’s a lost cause, I know, and I sigh with bittersweet regret. It was just a coincidence, his coming to YG. But still, I can admire him from afar, right? No harm can come of that. As long as no one will notice, and also as long as Seungyoon won’t target me with that dreaded questionnaire, I should be fine.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tadah! Shade 4~ hehehe.. sorry if this feels like rushed, cause truthfully it is, lol! Anyway, your long awaited sekseu is probably not coming soon yet hahaha~ but it will come, good things comes to those who wait, so be patient >_< Thank you for supporting! ^^ Keep Spreading WINNER and MINWOO love~! <3

 

I live you all~ i R I S