Shade 1

The Pinkish Shade of MinWoo

I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror. Damn my hair – it just won’t behave, and damn Kang Seungyoon for being ill and subjecting me to this ordeal. I should be practicing for my individual song evaluation, which is next week, yet here I am trying to brush my hair into submission. I must not sleep with it wet. I must not sleep with it wet. Reciting this mantra several times, I attempt, once more, to bring it under control with the brush. I roll my eyes in exasperation and gaze at the pale, brown-haired guy with big deer-like eyes staring back at me, and give up. My effort, fatal result, the once nest of a hair I have now looks like it was pulled by an angry bird- in million different directions. I have no choice but to release my secret weapon on bad hair days, my grey hoodie.

 

Note to self: Don’t ever sleep with my hair wet ‘cause when they dry in my sleep, they’re gonna stay like that for the rest of my life. Well actually, until I take a bath.

 

Seungyoon is my roommate, and he has chosen today of all days to succumb to the flu. I mean you don’t get me, this creature never gets sick, since he’s not that hygienic at all, he sorts of developed a super power which is like his immune systems can adapt to new viruses in a snap. It seems like he and all the bacteria and viruses had a symbiotic relationship, he will be a good host as long as they don’t get him sick.

 

But, I saw Seungyoonie miracolously showered last night before he slept that might probably upset his ‘homies’ and got him sick. Therefore, he cannot  do the tour and orientation, with some underground rapper –slash- debuted idol –slash- new trainee that will arrive today. You see, here in our company we follow certain systems for trainees. Just like in schools, the senior trainees need to take care of the new comers. We tour them around the training center and orient them of the culture and systems we have here. This way, we actually help lift some of the burdens off our trainers to do such petty tasks and the new comers get to have a friend instantly.

 

Most of the time Seungyoon volunteers though, he’s just really friendly and he’ll often say it’s good to have someone to rely on for new trainees and of course because he’s quite famous according to him, so they’ll easily recognize him.

 

Yoon is huddled on the couch in the living room. “Hyung, I’m sorry. If I knew I’m gonna be sick I shouldn’t have volunteered for this yesterday, it will be a shame if the new trainee just wanders around on his own though and I will be held responsible. Hyung you’re the only one I can ask,” Yoonie begs me in his rasping, sore throat voice. How does he do it? Even ill he looks handsome and striking, cherry red lips in place and prominent nose, although now red-rimmed and runny. I ignore my pang of unwelcome sympathy.

“Of course I’ll go Seungyoon. You should get back to bed. Would you like some tea with your medicine?”

“Yes, please. Here are the itineraries and the rules, systems and other important stuffs you need to mention, hyung. Follow it so you won’t miss anything.”

“Itinerary? Seriously?” I feel like I’m gonna be a tour guide of a group of foreign pre-schoolers.

“They’re categorized? Cafeteria-- ‘what is serve is just what it is? – Is this a song lyrics or do I need to answer your riddles first before I explain things to him? And what do you mean by-- ‘pigs are not allowed’? Since when were they allowed anyway?,” I murmur, trying and failing to suppress my skyrocketing confusion.

“I mean the food serving for trainees are controlled and that’s because we need to be in a strict diet so yeah, no pigs allowed. Stop asking so many questions hyung, they’re self-explanatory. Go on, he might be waiting at the building now.”

“Okay, I’m going. Get back to bed. I made you some soup to heat up later.” I stare at him fondly. Only for you, Seungyoon, would I do this.

“I will. Fighting! And thanks hyung – as usual, you’re really a person I can rely on.”

 

Wearing my hoodie, I smile amusingly at him, then head out the door. I can­not believe I have let Seungyoon talk me into this, me, the shy innocent Kim Jinwoo. I can't even make proper introductions without making half a fool of a myself. Can someone remind me why I'm in this kind of industry again? But then Seungyoon can talk anyone into anything. He’ll make an exceptional group leader, I hope someday he will be.

 

The roads are clear as I set off from the dorm, toward the company building. It’s early, and I don’t really have to make an appearance in the practice studio until two in the afternoon, so I still have a few hours to spare, unfortunately, that was also a few hours of sleep I lost.

 

Let me give you an introduction to our company, my destination. Well actually it’s the company training center not the actual company-company. It is the headquarters of hopefuls like me who wants to enter the entertainment industry. For most of us, it’s like a battle ground where only the toughest can survive to be able to enter yet another great battle in the actual world. I might sound dramatic but I wasn’t half exaggerating, a lot came and a lot gave up too, so for me to stay here after all these years and keep a grasp of my dream, I consider myself a survivor.

 

Half an hour passed since I walk out of the dorm when I arrive, greatly relieved that I’m not late as I walk into the training center lobby. I scanned the area, I think he’s not here yet.

 

**********************************************************************************

 

MINO POV

 

I’m late, so much for making an impression on my first day. I strode my way to a blonde girl sitting on a single couch in the small lobby. She must be a trainee here too; it looks like she’s memorizing something as she reads the notes on the paper she’s holding while bobbing her head.

“Uhm.. Annyeohaseyo. I’m looking for Kang Seungyoon-ssi.”

She looks at me and arches her eyebrow slightly as I stand self-consciously before her. My first encounter in YG and I’m already fidgety. So what they said is true, once you are under YG’s roof you will instantly have this ‘aura’ in you. Like it’s intimidating in a cool kind of way, the unapproachable look that makes you want to be like them rather than scurry away. And this is just a trainee, damn, I wonder how’d I react if I see any of their artist or trainers in person.

“Hi, I haven’t seen him yet. You’re probably the new trainee. Am I right?” She smiles kindly at me. She’s cute and her intimidating aura just went poof in thin air.

“Ah, yes. I was supposed to meet him for my YG trainee life 101, but I was a bit late.” I wearily said while scraping the back of my neck.

“Oh I see. I’m sorry ‘cause I have things to do so I can’t help you. But come over here.” She leads me to a small security office at a corner near the entrance and hands me a security pass that has VISITOR very firmly stamped on the front. I can’t help my smirk. Surely it’s obvious that I’m just visiting. I don’t fit in here at all. Well not YET, but that will soon change. I inwardly sigh. Thanking her in a bow, I walked down the hall past few more daunting badass and swaggy figures.

 

Now where to start looking? I know how Kang Seungyoon looks like since I saw him a few times in TV and did a little search about him. He’s quite impressive at his age, real talent over there. The problem now is how to find him.

 

I found myself in a small room with benches and stylish tables tucked in the corner. Probably, this is where they just hang around if they aren’t at the studio. I sat down to fish my phone. There’s not lot of information about YG’s training centre or their trainees in the web. I should’ve acquired Seungyoon’s number. And why isn’t there anyone even asking who am I, knowing I’m a new face here? Ah! Of course, I’m tagged as a ‘visitor’ not a trainee. Do they often get touring visitors here? I stared at my cellphone’s blank screen thinking how this day would end. When out of nowhere another elegant blonde, this time a guy, flawlessly comes in the glass door of the room. What is it with all the immaculate blondes? He eyed me curiously.

“Are you the new trainee?” the latest blonde asked.

“Yes,” I croak, and clear my throat. “Yes. I’m looking for Kang Seungyoon-ssi.” There, that sounded more confident.

“Seungyoon is sick but one of our senior will do the orientation for you. Stay here, I’ll call him.”

“Oh please. Thank you--” I trailed off.

“Nam Taehyun.” The fairy-like guy stretched his hands for a shake which I gladly receive with a bow.

“Thank you Nam Taehyun-ssi. I’m Song Minho. Just call me Mino. 93line.”

“I’m 94line. Okay, hyung sit down first and wait for him in a few.” He went out in an instant before I can even reply.

 

Senior? Does it mean one of the trainers or mentors? My heart suddenly had an excessive beating which is totally unnecessary at this point, what am I even nervous of? I roll my eyes at myself. Get a grip, Hugeboy. From what I know, at least YG has well-mannered staffs and treat their artists and trainees well. Maybe this won’t turn out so bad. Judging from the swaggy feel of practicallyeveryone and everything here, I guess my mentor will be in his mid-thirties: fit, tanned, and with few tattoos here and there.

 

I sat and surveyed the small room as a couple of guys around seventeen to eighteen years old passed by the corridor with the door left open.  One has bright red hair colour, another in a shaved mint green which reminded me of Zoro’s hair from One Piece. Perhaps it’s a YG thing for trainees to have unusual hair styles. I’m wondering idly of what hairstyle would I get as a trainee, when appears a tall, attractive man surprisingly with a regular hair but he’s wearing booty shorts and loose tank. He propped himself on the door frame smiling towards me. I questioned my choice of clothing that very moment. This must be the new hiphop trend for YG now. Is he a trainer or mentor? But he looks too young though and has no tattoos, probably another trainee. I smiled back and stood up for a bow to give a proper greeting.

“Annyeohaseyo, I’m Song Minho. 93 line. You can call me Mino.” I was pleased to receive a bow back. YG kids are well mannered, that’s my style.

*******************************************************************************

 

JINWOO POV

 

Woah, is that the trainee with the deep husky voice? They said he’s an underground rapper with heavy hiphop influence and YG is not really known to consider looks before talent. I won’t be surprise if his looks match the way he sounds like. So scary.

 

Seunghoon faced the hallway where I’m closely standing at and whispers, “He’s here hyung, looks like a tough one, goodluck.” before directing his attention back to the gorilla inside the cave. Yep, he sounds like a gorilla to me, so I’m just gonna go ahead and call him that.

“Lee Seunghoon, I’m a year older than you but call me comfortably in whatever way you want, I’m totally cool with it,” still slumped on the door frame.

“I’ll be comfortable then, hyung. Are you gonna do my orientation?” says the mighty ape.

“You mean YG trainee life 101? Fortunately no, it’s another senior over here.” Seunghoon cocked his head at my direction. “Hyung, what are you standing there for? Come in.” He gestured for me to come while I’m still contemplating if I should actually do this or run back to the dorm and pretend that I’m sick too. But it’s too late now, Seunghoon grabbed my sleeve and pulled me towards the door.

 

Once I came in-contact with the light coming from the room I immediately bowed for a greeting even before seeing the trainee’s face with my hoodie covering my head. “Annyeohaseyo, Kim Jinwoo-imnida.” As expected from the great Kim Jinwoo aka ME, in the process of me bowing down so rapidly I was off-balanced. I stumble through the door passed by Seunghoon, tripping over my own feet, before planting my face on the trainee’s chest. HIS CHEST!

 

WTF! This is probably the most embarrassing first animal encounter I have in my whole 22 years of existence. Thankfully though, this gorilla is strong enough to catch my weight. And he smells really nice. Huh! What?

 

“Jinwoo-hyung, you can remove your face on his chest now before you damage his ribcage even more.” I straightened myself up quickly as Seunghoon brought me back to my senses. Unfortunately, it brought back my embarrassment too, can’t I just magically teleport in a faraway place from here?

“S-sorry, I’m really clumsy.” The first adjective I used for me after introducing myself. Keep your head down Jinwoo, shame on you. This is me talking to myself.

“Okay, you two do your greetings and go on whatever you need to do. Hyung, I’ll go back to the dorm first and check on Seungyoon.” And just like that, the babylion got out of the picture, leaving the two of us in an awkward silence.

************************************************************************************

^____^ So wat do you guys think? hehehe.. I honestly don't know how this story will go and I'm already scared of the stress it might bring me.. hahaha.. but hope you enjoy it, not much of a story yet for now but pls be patient with our minwoo as they're gonna take their own sweet time in getting to know each other more.. 

 

LOVE YOU ALL ~~~~ !!!