t r y - o u t s .

keep r u n n i n g .

Now that the chaos was over, Hebe was really looking forward to track and field, even though it was so early. She asked around a bit, and found out that there was a track team all year 'round. It started early, and was made up of only incredibly dedicated members--twenty-five-ish in general, but only nine were picked to go.

"...And that concludes today's announcements. Oh, wait," whispering could be heard in the background. Hebe raised her eyebrow. "Uhh, track and field try-outs start Tuesday." Hebe bit her lip to hold back an ecstatic smile.

Beside her, Jiro had no reaction whatsoever, even though he knew that Hebe was waiting for this the whole time. She shot him a furious glance before turning back to the front to see what homework there was before they finished classes. She let her shoulders fall.

"Mmmkay class," Mr Liu smiled lazily, "No homework today, because I'm feeling generous. Aaron, stay after class please."

Hebe and he exchanged a curious glance before the bell rang, and everyone, including her and excluding him, left. She looked back once to see what Mr Liu wanted to talk about, but at once, she was swept away by eager people who didn't want to stay longer than necessary.

--

I know exactly what he wants to talk about. I mean, after all, Liu is the track assistant coach. I swallow hard and go up to him.

"You wanted to talk about something?" Suddenly, I'm self-conscious. He does that to me--the way he seems to overanalyze everything with his rectangular glasses and his holes called eyes. I unconsciously take a whiff of the air in front of me, and it smells like smoke. I hate the smell. I hate cigarettes. I smoke anyways.

"Aaron, you shouldn't try out for the team again this year." His voice is firm and dead-cold. I would flinch if I didn't know he was going to laugh at me. Instead, I stare back stiffly.

"I'm going to make it. We already know that much," I say back. My voice is spilling with confidence that I don't have. I know I'm going to make it, but I don't know what the cost will be.

"What happened last year--"

"What happened last year," I hiss, "is none of your concern. Please stay out of my business." I sound like a snake. Venomous, preferably.

"Aaron," he says again, softly.

"Just because you're my step-dad doesn't mean you have a right to order me around. If that's all you wanted to talk about, then we're done talking. I have to go."

I feel his eyes digging into my back as I leave, but I don't do anything to acknowledge it. I'll see him again at the next family dinner, but until then, I can pretend this never happened.

--

Hebe was disgustingly tired. She'd run for half an hour and circuited around the neighbourhood (that she now knew quite well) before heading back home. Her mom wasn't there again. A note was left on the dinner table with a twenty dollar bill, telling Hebe to order in. She sighed and picked up the phone. It'd be another dinner alone.

The one thing she could look forward to was Tuesday. Tuesday, glorious Tuesday. Five days from now. She could wait, but the time passed by infuriatingly slow, as if it just WANTED to piss Hebe off.

She picked up the phone, instead, to see if there was anyone she could call. She'd become okay-and-a-half friends with Selina. They took turns bugging Jiro, which was basically one of few things they had in common. Selina was gorgeous, high-maintenance, and dated only the best. Hebe was the one in sweats that she hadn't washed for days, didn't date because nobody really looked her way (but for Jiro, and that was a creepy time), and she wasn't really all that beautiful.

"--beep-- Hello, this is Selina. I can't answer the phone right now, so leave a message and I'll return your call ASAP~! --beep--"

"Hey, it's Hebe. I'm bored, so call me back. --beep--"

Suddenly, it was Saturday. She hadn't caught a wink of sleep, and she probably looked like a ghost panda. Her phone rang, and her arm twitched as she leaned over to pick it up.

"Hhhhhhhhello, it's Hhhhhebe."

"Hey! It's Selina? Come out with us. We're going on a road trip~!"

"...What."

--

[[initially written &added on april 29.