Don't you Know?

Songs of our Lives

모르니?

 

 

Don’t you know by 2PM                                                                                                                
For: zenlovers

 

Woo young, smiling with childlike glee, took a moment to look down at his ice cream cone before he attacked it with fever.

Trust him to be the one crazy enough to eat ice cream in the chill autumn afternoon. 
He was strolling through the park lazily on his way back to the dorm, when the craving had hit him. So running to the nearest parlor he bought a cane mounded with white sweetness. Behind him the gold brown leaves littered the stone path, but he was oblivious to the cold.

He was just as oblivious to the woman that had stopped up ahead of him. But as his rich creamy treat smashed into her midnight blue hoodie, his eyes widened in horror, he finally came back to reality.

‘My ice cream!’ 

 

“Yah!”

The sharp voice had his head jerking up and he stared straight into the eyes of hell.

Well, not really, but a woman can be rather scary when someone has ruined her clothing. Especially if that piece of clothing happened to be a rare hoodie, newly bought online from Rain’s discontinued clothing line Six to Five.

 

Yoon Jin Ri looked down at the mess on her clothes and nearly had a meltdown right there. She screeched at the cutie in front of her, only just suppressing the urge to wrap her fingers around his neck and squeeze.  

“What are you, crazy? Is this ice cream? Who eats ice cream in this weather? My hoodie, I just bought this! You can’t find another one in a million years! How are you going to pay for this? It’s ruined.”

 

Woo young couldn’t move or speak as he watched the goddess in front of him rant in a high fury. She was beautiful, her amber eyes flashing, and all that luxurious hair bouncing around her milky skin in deep dark curls.

‘She is amazing.’ He thought. Her face was small and pixie like, her eyes were a perfect shape and her lips like a plump, ripe peach…

He shook himself and put on a placating smile.

“I am really very sorry.” He said with a deep bow. “I will pay for the cleaning, I promise.”

 

Jim Ri looked at the man in front of her as she blew a stray curl from her face whilst standing with her hands on her hips.

“You bet your you will.”

 

Woo young’s brow went up. “Excuse me?”

 

She seemed to become aware of what she’d just said and raced ahead to cover it.

“Anyway,” she said loudly looking around, not meeting his gaze. “This was a hard to find item, so you had better take it to the best cleaner out there and be super careful with it.”

 

She ped it and laid it across his outstretched arms. Woo young thought her actions were absolutely cute and he grinned at her even wider. He noticed then that she only wore a t-shirt and quickly shed his own jacket to hand to her.

“What?” she asked, taking it from him.

 

“Put it on,” Woo young said “it’s cold out.”

 

“Oh, so you’re realizing that now?” She said sarcastically.

 

Woo young grinned down at the ground as he looked up at her.

“I have an interesting personality.” He said and she snorted back a laugh.

“I’ll say.” She agreed digging out her hand phone, she handed it to him. “Give me your number so I can get it back.”

He did just that and hit send so her number was stored on his phone. “Try not to lose it.” She said as she turned to walk away.

Woo young just laughed as he typed ‘재킷’ into his phone for her contact name since she hadn’t bothered to tell him hers.

 

______________________1____________2__________3____________________________

 

A few days later Jin Ri had her perfectly clean, beloved hoodie back upon her shoulders as she once again ran into Woo young in the park, this time sans ice cream.

“Oh, we meet again.” He said with his cheeky smile.

“I suppose my luck couldn’t hold out forever.” She muttered under her breath as she looked away. When she met his gaze again she found him staring at her in a way that made her heart thump, hard.

 

“What?”

 

Woo young just smiled. “So what brings you here this fine day?” he asked clapping his hands, first behind his back, then swinging them around lazily to clap in the front.

 

“I was supposed to meet someone… oh Seonbae!”  She turned and waved wildly at someone.

 

Woo young turned and felt his heart drop to his stomach. Her Seonbae was a tall, handsome man with a charming smile and impeccable taste in clothing. He looked like a movie star and he was waving back just as madly as she while walking towards them.

 

“Jin Ri-yah, oraenman-ida.” The charismatic man said in a deep husky tone as he hugged her. When they stepped back he met Woo young’s gaze.

“And who is this?” He asked holding out a hand.

Jin Ri started to answer ‘nobody’ but Woo young took his hand in a tight grip and plowed ahead.

“I’m Jin Ri’s good friend Woo Young, Jang Woo Young.” He said pleasantly.

 

“Ah aren’t you from that singing group… 2PM?” The man said noting the possessiveness in the other man’s actions.

Woo young nodded “Neh.”

JinRi looked at him with wide eyes for a moment but schooled her expression before Seonbae could see the surprise on her face. She hadn’t even noticed!

She cleared and took her Seonbae’s arm with both hands, turning to ole’ poison cheeks.  

“Woo young-ah I have to speak to Seonbae about something, you go ahead ok?” she said through clenched teeth and a forced smile. She didn’t really care that he was an idol, but she didn’t want to hurt his pride by acting like she didn’t know him after he had said he was her ‘good friend’.

Woo young nodded and said farewell.
As he walked away he looked back over his shoulder and saw the couple talking and Jin Ri laughing as they walked in the other direction.

He felt the unease flood his belly, watching them. Did she like him?

Even though it had been a short time and they had only met and spoke over the phone a handful of times, he still felt the urge to call her back.

He wanted to tell her not to meet with that guy. He could feel the frustration building within him and he tore his gaze away.

It was too strange, even for him. He didn’t believe in love at first sight after all.

 

 .•.•.•. 

 

The days went on like this, he and Jin Ri would talk on the phone or text, he really didn’t know why she still even responded but he wasn’t about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Every day they talked, every other day they would meet up, either in the park or at a nearby café and talk or hang out.

He liked to make her laugh and she was best at dry humor which he just found entertaining no matter what she said.  

Every time their eyes would meet he could feel his heart tremble. He didn’t know if he could tell her or what he would say, but sometimes he would come so close to just saying everything, especially when she would meet up with her Seonbae.

Woo young just knew she had a crush on the older man and it caused him endless pain, but he held it in. He didn’t want to lose their friendship by confessing.

He wanted to be the one to make her eyes light up just by stepping through the door. He wanted to be the one giving her all he could.

He just didn’t know how to let her know and he was scared.

 

.•.•.•.

 

Woo young looked over at them across the café laughing together as he waited for the coffee they’d ordered.

This was one of those days where Woo young felt like torturing himself by sticking around for their little get –together. He sneered at the older man for a moment as the two leaned in closer for another whispered conversation.

Finally he realized that he couldn’t take this anymore. Instead of taking the coffee Woo young just turned around and left. He walked away. If that Seonbae could make her happy, then he would just disappear.

 

About two blocks away his hand phone began to ring, he saw 재킷pop up on the screen.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Woo young-ah, where are you? Why did you just leave, the coffee…”

 

Woo young sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose with his other hand.
“So you noticed?” he muttered.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing. Listen, I won’t bother you again Jin Ri-yah, so just do whatever. I’m deleting your number from my phone so you do the same. It was nice knowing you and I hope you are happy with your Seonbae. Good bye.”  
He disconnected the call and stood there for a moment collecting himself.

His heart clenched and tears welled up blurring his vision. It was over.

His phone rang again and again but he ignored it and continued on his way to the dorm. He would keep his word. Maybe with time he could forget her and the way she made his heart beat so crazily.

 

________________________________________4___________________________________________

 

A month later the first snow fell, covering Seoul in a blanket of peaceful white.

Woo young had to hurry so he decided to take the path through the park again. His hands deep in his pockets he trudged along thinking of her. It was the first time since that last encounter that he was taking this rout home.

The afternoon sun held little warmth as it slipped in and out of the heavy clouds that hung like a bruise overhead.

He looked up just as a snow ball smashed into his chest. The surprise of it knocked him back and he fell on his in the middle of the snow covered stone.
A melodious laugh had him jerking his head up and his gaze locking in on someone he never thought he’d see again.

She was standing with a group of children laughing as the little monsters launched their attack on the unsuspecting man.

 

He growled and sprung to his feet, giving chase to the tiny humans as they scattered, shrieking with laughter.  He came to a stop in front of her and she smiled at him. Woo young could see the glimmering in her eyes and he stepped forward in concern.

“Waegurae?” he reached out a hand to her but paused midway when he remembered he shouldn’t touch her.

 

“Why did you disappear?” She asked with a tremble in her voice. It has him staring at her for a long moment.

“I left so you could be happy.” He answered finally.

She shook her head and a tear fell. “Why did you think that would make me happy?”

 

“Your Seonbae…” she shook her head and he stopped midsentence.

“I don’t like Seonbae, I just respect him a lot. He has helped me out a time or two.”

 

“Then…”

“I like you Woo young-ah.”

 

Woo young looked at her blushing face and grinned.

“Jeongmalyo?”

She nodded her head “unh”

Woo young let out a whoosh of breath and laughed as he grabbed her into a tight embrace. He pulled back and kissed her long and fierce, and when he pulled away she was good and dazed.

“Wow.”

They both grinned at each other. He held her face in between his hands and she held onto his forearms, as they stared into each other’s eyes.   

 

“Woo young-ah, jinjja jinjja joh-ahae.”

 

“Jin Ri-yah nado, sarang-hae.”

 

 ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

진짜진짜좋아해(jinjja jinjja joh-ahae)  =  “I really really like you.”

나도, 사랑해(nado, sarang-hae) = “Me too, I love you.”

정말요(jeongmalyo) = “Really?”

 왜그래? (waegurae) = “What are you doing?” or “What’s wrong?”

선배(seonbae) = Senior

여보세요? (yeoboseyo) = “Hello?” on the phone.

재킷(jaekis ) = Jacket

오랜만이다(oraenman-ida) = “It’s been a while.”