You have me.

My Goalie

Their first game was  scheduled 2 weeks later. Minho didn't know what was worse; The fact there was a game coming up, or how the practices were getting harder and harder each day. His legs ached more than ever, and he had run track all the years he had been in middle school. All he ever wanted to do was go home and sleep, but he had homework and he knew he couldn't let his grades fall. Not to mention if there was any hint of pain Jinki was there worried about him and asking if he wanted help stretching the aches and pains away. That made it all a little bit better.  Not that he gave it much thought, or so he told himself at night.

 

He was absentmindedly moving his peas around his tray when two hands pressed on his shoulders. He squawked and flailed a little bit as he looked behind him. Jinki stood there with a big smile on his face. "I didn't scare you did I?"

 

"No- No hyung." 

 

Jinki beamed and pulled out the chair beside him. "Good! But I could say different for your poor peas. Sorry about that." 

 

Minho was confused for a moment before looking at the table in front of him. Sure enough his little bowl of peas had been knocked over and spilled. His lip jutted out slightly before he remembered he really wasn't eating them to begin with. He shrugged. "I really wasn't eating them."

 

 There was a soft vibration and Minho watched as Jinki pulled out his phone and quickly tapped in a text message. When the boy looked up he gave an apologetic smile, "Sorry."

 

"No no don't let me stop you."

 

Jinki smiled and pushed his phone in his pocket. Still no uniform jacket Minho noticed. "It's just Jonghyun. He's not really important. I came to talk with you."

 

"Talk with me?" Jinki nodded, "What.. what about exactly?" 

 

"You're going to be playing in the game this afternoon." 

 

Minho's eyes widened. "What! Excuse me?!" 

 

"Coach told me to tell you. He thinks you'll do great on offense." Jinki said with a smile, that big perfect smile. It was directed at him and all he wanted to do was go hide in a corner somewhere. He was no where near ready to play in a game. No where, and here he was being told he's expected to do great. Just great. Really. The smile fell slightly. "Are you okay Minho? You.. you don't look very well."

 

Minho just shook his head and the approaching hand away. "Fa-fine. I'm fine. That's great. Really. Great. Thanks. For telling me." 

 

"Hey." Did he sound closer? Minho looked up just as he felt warmth descending over his side. When did Jinki get so close? Was he.. was he really moving to wrap his arm around him? "I know that playing in our first game and being your first game too has to be nerve wracking, but it's not going to be so bad. You're fast, and agile. You'll do great tonight."

 

Minho was very aware of how soft Jinki's fingers were moving on his shoulder, and how warm his breath was against his cheek. He almost completely forgot why the boy was so close for a moment, but it snapped into place in his mind like a puzzle piece. "Easy for you to say. You're amazing." 

 

When he looked up Jinki's expression was soft and caring. His eyes were slightly different than normal, and it gave a tingly strange feeling in his stomach. "I'm not all you think I am Minho. My first game I let 5 shots past me because I was so nervous. I didn't have someone there to calm me down and tell me it was okay, but you do. You have me." Jinki gave another smile and a squeeze on the shoulder. " I have to get going, but just remember its just a game."

 

Jinki stood up then and moved to leave, but stopped and turned back. He reached into his bag and pulled something out. After softly placing it on table Minho looked up to see little stack of blue lid tubs. "What are these?"

 

"You need to eat and I'm maybe 70 percent sure my cooking is better than the schools." Another smile and a bottle of juice placed on the table and the boy was walking away.

 

Minho watched him walk away before looking at the two tubs before him. He slowly lifted it to find really good looking food. Nothing like the wrinkly peas he had bought from the lunch line. He was about to start eating when the realization hit him.

 

He gave me his food!?

 

 

                        ------ 

 

 

20 seconds.

 

That's all there was left, but it was enough time to do what they needed.

 

The ball was passed to him, a deep breath, and a skilled kick.

 

Minho thought that it would go in. He thought that tonight would be great. The rest of the game had been okay. He didn't make many mistakes. He remembered the plays and listened well to the coach and Jinki when the boy made orders. He had received passes pretty well, and had given them off just as good.

 

His nerves had been terrible in the locker room before the game. In the hallway leading to the field. Sitting on the ground stretching. But it hit him the hardest walking out onto that field to begin the game. Then Jinki had gently caressed his back with his finger tips and flashed him a smile and all his nerves seemed to drain away.

 

But it all came back as he watched that ball sail toward the goal. If he didn't make it then they lost. If he didn't make it then he let the entire team down. He was aware of his dad and older brother in the stands. His coach was standing up hollering on the sidelines. His teammates on the bench and field frozen as the ball flew through the air. Minho was just starting to actually believe it would go in.

 

But then it was blocked and Minho fell to his knees.

 

He failed. His team. Jinki. Everyone. Just because he couldn't make a simple shot.

 

 

Why did he have to fail in everything?

 

 

 

 

 

                        ------

 

 

 

 


He was walking in the hallway when he felt someone grip his arm. "Hey."

 

He knew that soft hey. He slowly moved his head toward the boy and gave a small smile. "Hey Hyung."

 

"What are you up to tonight?" 

 

"Homework? Sleep maybe."

 

"Would you like to come to my house?" 

 

Minho's head snapped up, eyes wide. "What?"

 

Jinki's eyes just crinkled. "I'm having a sleepover at my house for the team... Or well a get together. Some boys will stay the night but... but anyway. Would you like to come?"

 

"I really have to finish this essay...."

 

"Please Minho? For me? I don't want you to go home and think too much about the game." 

 

"I.. I guess."

 

Jinki beamed. "Great! Do you need to ask your dad or something? Get some things from home?" 

 

"I.. probably." 

 

"If you need a ride I can take you."

 

"You have a car?" Maybe that wasn't the best question to ask.

 

" It's my mom's." Jinki wrapped an arm around him, "Come on. Let's go find your dad."

 

    

 

 

                        ------

 

 


The movie was playing in the living room, and the laughter from the other teammates was loud and carefree, but Minho couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't sit here and have a good time when he was the reason they lost. He pushed off the couch and walked into the kitchen. He set his cup on the counter before making his way over to the big glass screen doors that lead to the patio.  

 

The early autumn air was cool against his skin. The moon was high in the sky as he leaned against the wooden rails. A sigh rushed passed his lips as he hung his head into his hands. He was pushing his fingers through his hair when he heard the wood of the porch beneath him creak.  He looked next to him to see Jinki leaning against the porch, looking out into the backyard. 

 

It was strange seeing him outside of school. He wasn't wearing the uniform for the school or the team. He was just wearing pajama pants and a white tank top. His hair was loose around his face, but Minho could still see his profile. He could see Jinki's eyes, where they were looking and how soft his features were. How his lips were slightly parted, and how his tongue quickly ran over his bottom lip every so often.

 

"Stop thinking about it." 

 

"Huh?"

 

Jinki turned toward him, leaning against the wooden railing on his hip. "The game. Stop thinking about the missed shot."

 

"I'm not." Jinki just rose his eyebrow. "Really. I'm not Hyung."

 

"Then why are you out here on my back porch all alone instead of watching the movie with the other boys?"

 

"I like the stars?" Minho ventured.

 

Jinki's eyes just crinkled as his smile widened. "Nice try."

 

His head lowered and his shoulders slouched as a sighed rushed past his lips. "I jsut can't believe I missed it. It was such an easy shot and I missed it. Why did the coach even put me in? I'm not a good shooter. I'm just a runner. That's it. A runner. I was put in and I failed. I failed everybody. I failed the team. I failed the coach. I failed you. It's all I ever do. Fail." 

 

"Shut up will you." Minho was shocked to say the least. What happened to caring, I'll listen to you, Jinki? There was soft laughter. "Don't look so shocked Minho. I'm not being rude."

 

"But.."

 

Suddenly there were two hands gripping him and turning him. Jinki had his arms wrapped around him so tightly, and it was so warm, Minho didn't know what to say. "You didn't fail. You aren't a failure. If I thought that every ball I didn't block made me a failure I'd have quit by now. Just.. you aren't a failure Minho. You didn't let anyone down. Especially not me." 

 

When the boy parted he looked up at him with soft eyes. There was a smile on his face, and Minho was completely speechless. Jinki squeezed his arm softly once more before returning to lean against the railing. It took a moment but Minho finally gathered the courage to speak. "Do you think that maybe you could... I dunno.. maybe...."

 

"Yes Minho?" 

 

"Maybe Help me-"

 

"With what Minho?" 

 

"Help me shoot.. I mean-"

 

Jinki hand was on his arm again, and a warm smile was directed at him as even warmer feeling words moved passed the older boy's lips. "I'd gladly help you with your shooting."

 

Minho's eyes widen. "Really?"

 

"Of course." The boy looked back into the house again. "But lets go back in okay? I'll even make you my famous hot chocolate."

 

"Famous?"

 

"Not really famous, but the other boys seem to like it." Jinki said with a smile.

 

"Oh-Okay." 

 

Minho was lead back in by a soft touch on his arm and sat on a stool. His eyes never left the older boy until a blue mug of hot chocolate was placed before him. There was whipped creme and little chocolate shavings on it. "Go on. Try it." It was Jinki's warm smile that made him gently pick it up and take a sip. As soon as the burning liquid touched his tongue he placed the cup on the counter and flailed to get his tongue cooled off. "Whoa whoa whoa there hot shot. It's kind of hot silly." 

 

He felt his cheeks warm up as he ducked his head, but Jinki's sweet laughter wasn't mean, and he found out that he didn't mind it one bit.

                            ------