Oh, and 5

My Goalie

The last week of try outs Jinki wasn’t there. After the first day without him Minho hadn’t really given it much thought. The older boy could have plans, things to do with friends or even summer work. Maybe a job since he was old enough to have one. Another member of the team, that Jinki had mentioned before as the back up goalie for the team, Jonghyun came in his place. He was okay. Kind of short and had a big mouth, but he was really nice and loved to help. He was a little too touchy for Minho’s liking but it was okay.

 

Minho didn’t really know how he felt about the sinking feeling in his stomach with each day Jonghyun showed up instead of Jinki. He had no idea why he had come to look forward to the older boy, but now that he wasn’t there it just didn’t feel the same.

 

When he had made it through the second cut he was even more surprised than the first time. Especially after going to the field the following day to find out that one of the best shooters going out had been cut. How had he, someone who was okay at shooting but no where near the talent of the boy who had been cut, make it? Minho just shook his head and listened intently to the coach. He didn’t want to miss something because he was caught up in his own thoughts. That would end terribly. Being that there weren’t many of them left, only a little under a dozen, the coach had sit down to just watch while Jonghyun ran the drills.

 

"SO pipsqueaks! Apparently my Captain has been going soft on you."

 

There were mumbles of, “If blocking all shots is going easy.” And, "he tripped me last week.", as the older boy continued to talk and explain what they were supposed to do. It was just a dribbling drill, which much to Minho’s delight he was great at. Jonghyun pulled a ball out of the bag and tossed it to the first person in line. Followed by two more for the next two.

 

"One go around and then we will make this a little more fun." Jonghyun shrugged, "Because lets be honest. No one likes dribbling drills."

 

 


———

 

 


"Alright Punks." The Coach began. " The final roster has been posted on the school’s website. Now we’ve only kept 6 of you instead of the originally thought 8. The number you were assigned this last week has been written down, and when I call your number please refrain from saying so."

 

The boys nodded. “Alright. 15.”

 

"9."

 

Minho listened as another 3 were called. Not one was his number. He wasn’t really expecting to hear it, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t have liked it to be. He sighed softly and leaned down to tie his shoe. The stupid laces were just a pain really. Like how could they untie themselves 4 times in the last hour? He even double knotted them to make sure and they still were loose and flopping about like they just wanted to annoy him.

 

"Oh, and 5."

 

Minho’s head snapped up so fast the back of his neck throbbed a little and he felt a little woozy. He couldn’t have heard that right. No. He didn’t make the team. He couldn’t have possibly made the team because he was himself and himself was Minho. He wasn’t good enough to make the team.

 

"So again. 15, 9, 4,2, 11 and 5 have made the team." The Coach looked up from his paper, "Thank you all for coming out for the team. You all were great, we just don’t have the space. Please come out again next year. The new members of the team will get a call some time this week about the practice scheduled. Have a goodnight."

 

Minho was still frozen in his position on the floor, his fingers having dropped the stupid laces a long time ago and his big eyes even wider. He had made the team.

 

"Oh my god I made the team." He breathed out in almost a whisper. The other boys had already moved to get their things and either go home to tell their parents the great news, or tell them that they didn’t make it sadly.

 

Minho just stayed where he was. He knew he should tie his shoe and rush home to tell his dad, because he needed to take a shower before dinner, but he couldn’t make himself move. He had come out for the team because he really enjoyed playing soccer, but mostly because his father wanted him to. He didn’t really think he was going to make it and now that he did he didn’t know how to make his limps cooperate.

 

"You’re Minho right?" Minho focused in on the shoes before him before looking up. Jonghyun stood there, his head cocked to the side as he looked down amused. Minho nodded his head and it was then that he could finally force himself to finish tying his shoe and stand. He heard the older boy above him mumble something, but he only caught a couple words. Jinki, cute and weird being 3 of them. "Congrats on making the team."

 

Before he could say thanks the boy was jogging away, pulling out his cell phone as he did.

 

 


———

 

 

As school neared Minho’s thoughts slowly stopped drifting to Jinki as much. He had to do to two book reports (as well as read the books), and for that last week and half he was up in his room cramming to get them done.

 

But soon it was time to pack all his supplies into his backpack for the year and make sure that his uniform was all pressed and ready for him. The future kind of loomed up before him before he knew it and he really didn’t know how to react to it. He was laying in bed all curled up in his covers almost asleep when it all crashed into him.

 

He was about to start high school. He had done great up to this point, getting good grades and great behavior, but high school demanded more of you. It expected more. More homework of a more difficult level. Not to mention there were going to be four grades together moving all at once between classes instead of just two, and there wouldn’t be the 2 minute extra time between them. Starting tomorrow was the new chapter in his life, and though kind of happy to be doing it he was nervous. What was he going to do? Was he going to do well or fail? Would the soccer team be as fun as he thought it would be?

 

It was at the thought of the soccer team that brought his thoughts off the fast railing train it was on and onto Jinki. He thought back to how his hand felt on his back. It had just been a soft brush, but just thinking about it made Minho blush. Thoughts about the time they played a game of one on one together while they waited for the others. Jinki’s smile had been so big and so care free. So beautiful. Minho had to force himself to focus on the game, and not just stand there and stare at the boy like an idiot. The goalie’s voice had been so soft when he told him if he moved his foot a certain way he would shoot better. He had been so close that Minho had been able to see the freckle that was on the boy’s neck.

 

Minho sighed. The only friend he’d ever had was Taemin, and the boy had moved 3 hours away right as summer began. So basically he was about to start high school with no friends and a huge crush on probably one of the most well known boys in the school.

 

"Just great." He muttered to the ceiling before turning over and trying to sleep.