Hours and Introductions

Frail Beginnings

HOURS AND INTRODUCTIONS

High school never ends. True love never dies. Have you ever asked yourself the question: I'll die one day so what's the point of enjoying high school or keeping a relationship alive? All of them shall die, together with me. 

But.

What if you meet someone who would change the way you look at things? That person who would make you want to live your life a different way and thank God you have not thousands but enough reasons to breathe. I'd like to believe I've found mine. 

I'd like to believe he's found me too.

I.

In school, I'm not popular. I'm either that nerdy girl you see holding her book all the time or that she's-boring-for-company type of girl. I don't study to meet friends but get good grades. On the contrary, I do have some friends. Their names are Chanyeol and Sora. Chanyeol is a six footer guy whose purpose in life is to make me laugh and be my soulmate in disguise. Sora, on the other hand, is my best friend since Titanic. Both of them look after me; as if I'm the sickest sophomore student in Korea who has leukemia at the age of fifteen. I probably am.

"You can skip class tomorrow. We'll tell the teacher you're sick. There's not much to do on the first day anyways." Sora says for the sixth time since we got home from the hospital. I've just had my CBCs done. 

"I don't want to be absent, Sora. It's a new school." I object again. Tomorrow I'll be transferring to their school because my parents insisted it's a better school than my last. It actually is, but it's also more expensive. 

Chanyeol takes sides with Sora. They become like this when it concerns my health. "Hannah, it says in the printed schedule that Ms. Luiyang will be your adviser. I know her because she's taught us Math last year. She's not strict. I'm sure she'll understand it if you-"

"You two are exaggerating! I'm fine. It's only an extraction. It's not like I've undergone an operation or something. I'll go to school tomorrow." Sora opens to protest again but I cut her off. "I swear I'll be fine. You two calm down, okay? If it'll make you feel better, well, I'm not dying tomorrow."

"Hannah!!" They shout together. I laugh. My friends are more scared of my death than I am. Sometimes, that's what scares me.

II.

"Hannah Kim, welcome to Seoul High School!" Chanyeol and Sora say together. We've just entered the school gates.

"Whoa, it really is bigger." I say. In front of me are three tall buildings, one basketball court, one tennis court and one for volleyball. From here it looks like a huge subdivision rather than a school. 

Sora nudges me softly on the elbow. "Much much bigger than your old school!"

I only smile. It's too early to criticize my old school. 

"See that?" Chanyeol points to the smaller houses to our left. "That's the school dormitory."

I nod. He continues, "Tall building to the left is Building A. To the right's Building B; where your first subjects gonna be. 4th floor." He winks at me. I bet he memorized my schedule.

When I didn't react, he points to the third building. "That's the activity building. That's where the canteen is." Wow, I wonder how much money my parents had to save to get me into this school. My parents are currently working in China. I've known Chanyeol and Sora for too long because we're neighbors. I've got an Aunt who stays at home with me. 

Sora speaks, "Chanyeol, Hannah's first class will start in ten minutes. She better not be late." They're both junior students, a year ahead of me.

I look at my watch: 7:50 am. Chanyeol grabs onto my arm. "Oh yah, let's go Hannah. I'll see you in class, Sora!" And then he waves her goodbye and pulls me forward. Of course Chanyeol would take me to my room. Of course he will. He's sort of my overprotective boy friend. 

We walk to Building B and use the elevator to get to the fourth floor. Chanyeol's carrying my bag for me. Sometimes I wonder when they'll stop being so paranoid about leaving me alone. As if he's read my mind, Chanyeol says, "I only want to show you your room. I'll leave once you're inside." 

We get out on the fourth floor and Chanyeol walks me to the Section B room. Section B is actually for the late enrollees. We stand outside the door and Chanyeol gives me my bag. I take it from him, feeling nervous and excited at the same time. There's already like twenty heads inside the class. "Thanks, Chanyeol. Guess I don't need a map? You obviously wouldn't let me get lost."

He smiles showing his rich teeth. He's the human version of a smiling emoticon. "No problem. Text me or Sora when it's break time. Enjoy your first class, Hannah!" He squeezes my hands assuringly and beams, "Fighting!"

I watch as he walks back to the elevator. After he's gone, I slowly walk inside the classroom. I sit down on the chair just beside the door. The girl sitting on my right looks at me and quickly introduces herself. "Hi! You must be Chanyeol's girlfriend! I'm Bom." She extends a hand. She knows Chanyeol?

I take her hand and shake it. "I'm Hannah. I am not Chanyeol's girlfriend." It's funny how many times I've said that line already. Everywhere I go, people assume that Chanyeol's my boyfriend and everywhere he goes, they assume I'm his girlfriend. 

Ms. Luiyang enters the class and our first subject begins, although first day's basically full of self introductions and orientations. I'm glad I didn't skip school today.

We talk about the school rules and regulations, grading system, and extracurricular activities. The bell rings and before I can even get my phone and send Sora a message, she's already waiting for me at the ground floor of Building B. "How's it so far, Hannah?"

I snort. One can never tell too much out of first days. Bom chooses to spend recess with a group of other girls. I don't mind, really. I never see myself interacting with a big amount of friends anyway. "Where's Chanyeol?" I ask instead.

"Said he'll meet us at lunch. Are you hungry? Do you want to go to the canteen?" 

"Nah, I have some biscuits. Are you?" I know Sora as someone who prefers to eat real foods than pieces of bread and cookies. She nods. "Go buy in the canteen. I'll just roam around."

"But Hannah!"

"Oh come on, Sora! Please don't make me feel like I have you and Chanyeol as babysitters." I laugh because it really feels that way sometimes. Sora laughs too.

She hugs me and hands me a card before leaving. "Library's at Building A. You'll need a library card to be able to borrow books. Use mine for the mean time!" 

I can't believe she left me alone. That's probably one of the good things about having Sora as a friend: she's unpredictable. I look at the library card in my hand. Everyone knows I love books. Deciding to spend thirty minutes in the library, I head to Building A.

III.

The inside of Building A is wider than that of Building B. There's four classrooms in the first floor and library's to the farthest corner. The moment I step inside, I almost want to faint. The whole room looks like a National Library! If Chanyeol's right here with me, I doubt he wouldn't laugh at how amazed I look. The library in my old school doesn't even occupy one-fourth of this!

The students reading inside are all in their school uniforms. I look like an outsider in my plain white tee and denim jeans. Transferees are allowed a week to wear civilian clothes. Some of the girls on the long row of tables turn to look at my direction. I've never liked being stared at. I make my way towards the shelves of fiction books, glad that I'm finally out of their sight. 

Lately there's a book that I want to read. It's by Kate Mosse; one about tarot cards. I go to the shelf that has book titles starting in letters S to T.

"Sepulchre, sepulchre..." I search through one book to the next. Then I find it. It's on the highest row. I badly need someone as tall as Chanyeol to reach it. I'm only 5'3 after all. I look for someone to assist me but everyone else is busy with their books. I tiptoe and raise my arm, trying to see if it'll work. Then suddenly someone gets the book for me. I hear him say, "Here."

I take the book and look at his face. He must be a junior, and he looks handsome. I also think that he's taller than Chanyeol for an inch or two. "You're welcome," he smiles and walk to the other side of the shelf. I realize I was staring. I didn't even say thank you. Jeez.

And then he's back in front of me. "I haven't seen you around before. Are you a freshman?" He speaks in a low voice, making sure we don't make noise inside the library. 

I shake my head. "I'm a transferee."

"Ah, a newcomer. And your name is?" 

"Hannah." I say simply. 

I'm surprised when he took my hand from the side and shook it. "Hi Hannah. I'm Kris Wu. I have a brain tumor. It's nice to meet you." 

I didn't like the way he said it. It's like telling somebody that you've had bacon and eggs for breakfast when it shouldn't be as easy as that. "You're kidding, right?" I ask, our hands still together. 

The way he smiles hurts. If it's ever true that he really has a brain tumor. Someone with a brain tumor doesn't smile like that. "No, I'm not kidding. I'm proud of it." Not letting go of my hand, he continues shaking it. The gesture almost sends us both laughing inside a box of reality that demands silence. The librarian glares at us. We put down our hands.

"Proud?" 

He shrugs his shoulders. "Yep. Not everyone gets a tumor in their brains."

It seems funny, having him say it. His eyes doesn't even flinch. I figure if it doesn't bother him, why should it bother me? I smile back. "Thanks for helping me get the book, Kris. I'll see you around."

IV.

Chanyeol and I are on the grass in their backyard; just trying to lay down, relax, and talk about school and other stuff. First day went fine. During the last subject, I can't seem to forget about Kris Wu and his introduction. Not everyone you meet will introduce themselves to you in that way. I, for example, never walked up to people and tell them I have leukemia. It's bothering.

I could go on wondering about him if not only for Chanyeol's weird habit of removing his watch and staring at the minute hands. "Chanyeol, why are you always looking at your watch?" I say, looking at it too. 

"It's a cool thing." He answers. His description about anything is cool. It's all about cool with him.

"What is?" 

He looks at me for a second then look back at his watch to emphasize whatever he has to say next. "Being able to label the hours."

I laugh at the craziness of it. "How do you label the hours?"

He's fast to reply. "According to what you're gonna do. Say, six o'clock I'll be out of bed. Seven, I'm on my way to school with you and Sora. Eight, the start of class." He says on and on. And then he's midway out of it when I listen again. "Five o'clock, I'm walking my way home with you. Six, we have our backs to the grassy ground, talking about hours and school. Seven, we're still talking about that and other stuffs. Eight, you'll get up and I'll walk you home. Nine, I'll text you goodnight. And ten, we're probably back in bed trying to fall asleep!" He finishes. Only now did I realize how much of his hours are always spent with me. It feels both flattering and terrifying. 

"Wow, that's too long!" I comment. "You can just shorten it to, say, eight to five I'm in school, six to eight I'm outside with you, and finally, nine to seven I'm safe at home. Done!" I boast.

"You can't do that! It's like cheating time!" He exclaims defensively. 

"Whatever, Chanyeol! How do you even cheat time?" I don't want to talk to him anymore. I'll just lose my sanity. 

But he doesn't stop. Of course he won't. "It's like asking a person 'What time were you at the mall?' and she tells you 'Hmm, around one or three in the afternoon'. Confusing, huh? Time should be given importance, Hannah. Because every hour counts." He says it like there's an unbreakable connection between him and time. 

"Last time I heard that phrase it's every second counts, Chanyeol. Not hour." I tease.

I have to admit though that he makes sense. I think he always does.

V.

"I'm home!" 

Auntie immediately opens the door to let me in. "Hey! How's your first day? Alright?" She envelops me into a hug. She doesn't give me time to answer. It's like she hasn't seen me for more than a day. 

"It's c-cool," I say while in her arms. I've just used Chanyeol's magic word. Auntie sets me free, even massaging the sides of my arms. 

"Good. I've just cooked dinner. Let's eat?" 

I remove my shoes and leave it on the doormat. The house smells of mixed black pepper, fish, and chicken broth. Auntie always experiments in the kitchen. "Yah. I'll just change and put my bag in the room." 

I run up the stairs and hear Auntie's sound of disapproval. "Slowly, Hannah! Don't run!" People in my life says the same thing all the time. Words like 'Don't run, Hannah! You'll hurt yourself' or 'Slowly, Hannah! There's no need to rush'. I don't think I've done anything extreme in my fifteen years of existence. They won't even let me run, for heaven's sake.

Dinner is a bowl of chicken something and a salad of whatever. Auntie has names for her dishes but I don't remember all of them. She opens a conversation about an argument she had with a male vendor in the market that morning and I talk about Seoul High School and its extravagance. I wash the plates afterwards and on my way up to my room, Auntie shouts, "Don't forget your appointment tomorrow!" 

I stop on my tracks and look back at her. "We'll be at the hospital for your CBC results and bone marrow examination, remember?" She reminds me.

I nod. "Goodnight, Auntie!" I send her a flying kiss from up the stairwell. She copies me.

VI.

The next day after school, Auntie calls me to not be late for Dr. Jeong's appointment. She's my private doctor. Classes end at five and Sora and I are about to wait up for Chanyeol before going to the hospital. He said that he'll come. 

"What's taking him so long?" Sora's starting to complain.

"I don't know. You're the one who's classmates with him." I say matter-of-factly.

She is about to response when Chanyeol appears from the dormitory. "Hey pissed-looking Sora, I'm right here!" He's not alone. Kris Wu is walking down beside him, with a skateboard tucked in his arm. I had no idea they're friends. My eyebrows begin to raise. 

Chanyeol approaches us and smiles widely at me. "Kris, I'd like you to meet-"

"Hi Hannah!" Kris cuts him off. Chanyeol's shock expression makes me smile. I swear his eyes are the roundest. 

I direct my gaze to his companion. "Hi." I was right, Kris is taller than my good friend here.

"You know each other?" Sora asks, pointing to Kris and then to me. I should be asking the same question.

"Yes. You?" I ask back at her. We seriously need to go now. Auntie might call again. "Listen Chanyeol, are you coming with us or not?" 

I can see Kris' lost face. I can't mention the word hospital or bone marrow appointment. Not in front of him. Other people must not know.

Chanyeol looks at Kris and the skateboard. "Uhm..." I already know the meaning of that.

"Okay, okay! Sora, we gotta go. Have fun!" I pull on Sora and walk away from Park Chanyeol and Kris Wu. I'm not upset at all. It actually feels better not letting my check-up schedules interfere with my friends' social lives. From the gates I can see Chanyeol's apologetic face and I can only force myself to grin. You don't have to be sorry, Channie. Make your hours count.

VII.

On our way to the hospital, Sora told me that Kris is their classmate and that everyone knows about his brain tumor because that's how he introduces himself all the time. If that's the case, maybe his brain tumor isn't that serious. And yet the idea still bugs me. 

I can't believe that I agreed to watch Chanyeol skateboarding with a bunch of junior students in a Thursday afternoon when I should in fact be studying for a test in Algebra tomorrow. Skateboarding doesn't interest me. It's reckless and includes lots of balancing that I don't know of. How come that Kris Wu guy is joining them as if he's in a suicidal mission? 

Sora went home early because she has to take care of her little sister. I should've gone with her but Chanyeol won't let me. So now I'm sitting in a bench full of arrogant and loud juniors. This is the first time I've watched Chanyeol do tricks with a skateboard. I used to think he doesn't play any sport. For me he's a born guitarist and rapper.

Bom, the girl who happens to be my seat-mate in class, is also watching. There's actually several girls cheering for Kris Wu. I get that he's good-looking but, honestly, he seems to me like someone who doesn't care about his own health. He shouldn't be skateboarding over those dangerous poles in the first place. Why do I care anyway?

I'm glad that I brought the Mosse book with me. It keeps me entertained while everyone else is focusing to the dancing skateboards in front of us. I was reading when the girl sitting behind me yells "Oh my God, is he okay?"

Kris Wu has fallen over the concrete, his back to the solid ground. He may have tripped or balanced wrongly, I was not able to witness how it happened. It looks like he hit hard because his eyes are closed and he's not moving. Some of the juniors including Chanyeol and me run to his side and bend down to see if he's bleeding anywhere. I feel my heart thundering and around me I can hear people shouting Is he alright?, Kris!, He's not waking up! and my instant reaction was "Call the school nurse!"

I can't see where exactly Chanyeol was because people are all gathered around. And then I hear a somewhat familiar voice. "Call who?"

Kris Wu is awake, his eyes are mocking and he begins to laugh. "I'm okay, Hannah." He picks my name out of all of us. Then I realized everyone is laughing too. Wow. It's so funny, isn't it? I look at Kris angrily and try to stand up but he holds my wrist. "Really, I'm fine." 

Suddenly I know what has happened. It's all a prank, a very good joke, and I was the target. I remove my hand from his hold and slap him in the chest. "You're the stupidest guy I've ever met!" I run away. 

This time I hear Chanyeol's voice calling after me. "Hannah, wait!" I don't stop. I just keep on walking. He speeds up to get beside me and I halt for a while. When he's already by my side, his careless friend shouts from the distance "Hey Chanyeol! Your friend's really cute! I like it when she cares!" 

"Isn't he going to shut up?" I say. Unfortunately, my six-footer friend is also laughing his head off. I punch him on his biceps. "You think what he did was funny, don't you?" 

Chanyeol laughs some more. I wait for him to get a grip on himself but it's unlikely to happen soon. I roll my eyes at him. He raises a hand to tell me to give him more time and that he'll eventually get over it. I hate him too. When he finally can speak again, he says, "I'm laughing because Kris is always like that. He's an idiot." I don't know what he meant by always but I find myself looking back at Kris' direction. 

Kris is there, sitting with legs apart, arms resting on his thighs, his hair wet with perspiration. And I don't know if I'm just imagining it but I think I saw him wince in pain and breathe heavily. Somehow it hurts because deep down I know he's all but fine. He's not okay. He isn't. Just like me, he'll probably never be.

-------------------------------------------------

Hello! So first of all, if you're wondering about the book mentioned in this chapter, it's called Sepulchre for real. And it really is by Kate Mosse. It's a novel I've read back when I was in college and it's really good. As I said, it's about tarot cards and reincarnation. I don't know though why it is the book that I chose to include in this story. All questions aside, I actually do recommend it.

I hope everyone can feel me when I say that this story is very difficult to write. Not only does it involve two sick characters but also because it's angst. Please look forward to the next updates and support this till the end. Don't forget to tell me what you think of it so far. I honestly didn't expect to come up with another Kris fanfic. I must really love him that much. Haha. Thank you! Please upvote and comment! :)

P.S. There's a reason behind the roman numerals.