Normalcy

10010

Rule No. 9: Do not break any of the aforementioned rules.



Baekhyun woke up and all the softness around him- the soft mattress, the soft pillow and the really really ing nice blanket- shocked him out of his sleep before he remembered where he was. He'd been here for a week now, but he still couldn't get over the fact that he was here. Here, in Yixing's mansion, in his own room, in a king-sized bed.

 

Smiling slightly, he remembered all the cheesy sayings that existed about dreams. Something about not wanting to sleep because reality was better than the dreams. Which was bull, because Baekhyun loved sleep.

 

He stretched and yawned obnoxiously, taking over the entire bed. (Note: bed, not cot.) “This is the life,” he murmured to himself.

 

Sure he'd stayed in Yixing's mansion for countless nights, but now he was here out of his choice. His own choice. Everything he did now was what he wanted to, without the fear of reduced rations and bruised ribs looming over him. It made him feel alive, powerful, but also a little awkward and confused. What was he even supposed to do all day?

 

 

He was about to ask over the platter of breakfast the Cook had made, but Yixing beat him to it. “Baekhyun, what do you want to do today?”

 

“I don't know. What do you usually do?”

 

Since Baekhyun arrived a week ago, Yixing had been home all day, giving him a tour of the overly-large mansion and telling him about random stuff. Baekhyun was well acquainted with Elite bedrooms and bathrooms, but wow, there was a lot of he had never seen. There were TVs and all those techy stuff that he had always seen and heard about but was never allowed to touch. But he learned a lot about other things too, like how the corners of Yixing's lips would twitch randomly. And how when Yixing says he's bored, it really means he's lonely . . .

 

And how Elites hired Cleaners even though they had washing machines and other machines.

 

“I just stay home and practice,” Yixing replied. “People invite me to play at parties and sometimes there are concerts, but there's more of those in the winter.”

 

“Oh.”

 

 

They settled into comfortable silence. It happened a lot because Yixing was always lost in thought and Baekhyun was okay with it. But a sudden thought occurred to him. “Yixing?” he called.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Are you a ?”

 

The other boy's eyes widened immediately and flush crept into his cheeks. “Uh . . . I . . . uh . . .” he stammered. “Why are you asking?”

 

“I'm curious and you seem . . .” Baekhyun shrugged, smirking at Yixing's slight discomfort. It was kind of cute.

 

“I practice abstinence,” he finally mumbled.

 

“Really?” To Baekhyun, that concept was strange. It was weird that some people paid to have while others voluntarily avoided it. And for what? Why did people even make such a big deal over ?

 

“Yes.” Yixing took a sip of his coffee.

 

“You know, you've been teaching me so much, so why don't I teach you some things too?” Yixing sputtered, choking on the drink and Baekhyun sprang up. “Oh my god! Are you okay? I'm so sorry.”

 

He waved his hand, motioning for Baekhyun to sit down. After he finished coughing, he said, “I was just surprised. You don't usually say things like that.”

 

It was Baekhyun's turn to flush awkwardly and stutter. “Uh . . . I like joking sometimes. After I know someone.”

 

“It's okay,” The Elite (although Baekhyun wasn't really a Numbered anymore) said, smiling. “But if you really want to be my teacher, teach me how to think and talk like you.”

 

“Sorry, you have to be born with this sort of thing. It can't be taught,” Baekhyun replied, feigning arrogance.

 

“See? I wish I can say things like that!”

 

 

The two finished their breakfast and Yixing stood up, signaling that they should leave and allow the Cook to clean up the plates. As they walked to the piano room, Baekhyun asked, “Are you sure you don't want me to teach you about the . . . other thing?”

“No!” Yixing replied immediately, turning red again.

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

They were still in the room before dinner when Yixing suddenly became serious.

 

“What?” Baekhyun asked, eyeing the other's expression.

 

“I was thinking if there's a way for you to go outside. I don't like how you are forced to stay inside all day,” Yixing said.

 

“It's okay. I like not doing anything.” Baekhyun laid down across the armchair and stretched to prove his point.

 

Yixing laughed at him. “You are so lazy.”

 

“Well yeah,” he replied mischievously. “I want to do something, but you won't let me.”

 

Without fail, the other blushed again. “Stop talking about that!” Yixing whined.

 

“There's nothing to be embarrassed about.”

 

 

Yixing reached over to swat him lightly on the leg. “Stop changing the subject.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled and sat up. “Then what do you plan?”

 

“Maybe we can pretend that you're my relative from another country who's visiting me for a couple of days? Or years?”

 

The ex-Entertainer nodded. “Yes, because we really look related,” he said.

 

Yixing studied him. “I can't tell if you are being serious or not.” Baekhyun smiled cheekily in reply. “Then do you have a better idea?”

 

“No, but you don't have to worry about it.”

 

“Are you sure? Because-”

 

 

The door was suddenly thrown open and someone Baekhyun had never seen before burst into the room. “Sir, sir!” he gasped out. His panicking eyes- which were huge and similar to Twelve's- landed on Baekhyun and narrowed.

 

“What is it?” Yixing asked and the newcomer finally broke eye contact.

 

“The kitchen caught on fire!”

 

“What?”

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

It wasn't really much, only resulting in a slightly burned dinner. It tasted a hell lot better than stale bread, but Yixing still apologized profusely.

 

"Seriously, it's okay," Baekhyun said with a small smile. After a brief pause of silence, save for the clinking of silverware, he spoke again. "This is kind of off topic, but why did you start hiring me? You don't really seem the type to . . . interact with Entertainers?"

 

Yixing carefully set down his fork. "I just wanted to?"

 

Baekhyun studied him, amused. "You don't sound very certain?" he replied, mimicking Yixing's tone.

 

The Elite flushed and stared at his plate. "Don't make fun of me!"

 

"Sorry."

 

"Well, I don't really know. It's hard to explain. Let's just say I was bored."

 

"That's all I am to you?" Baekhyun asked in mock anger.

 

"No!" Yixing protested. "I didn't mean it like that!"

 

The ex-Entertainer let out a laugh. "I'm kidding. I know I'm very important to you."

 

"Of course."




♔ A  u  t  h  o  r  '  s    N  o  t  e ♔

look at the cute baekxing!! (cr. kiwisses)