VIII - Adlib

Swan Song

~Adlib~

Running a hand tiredly down his face, Luhan sighed quietly to himself as he continued to meander his way down the street. He had just finished up visiting Joonmyun for the day and was on his way to meet up with Minseok at his apartment. They had already agreed that Luhan would just order in a pizza or something and then they would curl up together on the sofa to watch a movie or two.

That was just what he needed too. He was feeling more than a little exhausted, not just physically and mentally but emotionally too. So curling up in his ghostly boyfriend's arms and just relishing in his comfort sounded almost like heaven. However ironic that thought might be.

He was just debating whether to pop into one of the supermarkets to grab some extra snacks when he walked straight into another body. Unable to catch himself, he fell backwards landing on the ground with a quiet grunt.

"Again? Why do I always end up on the ground?" He grumbled to himself. At least he knew this time it wasn't Minseok he had bumped into, since the other was waiting for him at home. Looking up, though, he came face to face with someone who was very familiar to him. "Jongdae?"

The ghost gave a wide chesire cat grin as he helped the stunned Luhan up and back to standing. "Hey Mr Flinchy who's not so flinchy any more. What's up?"

Luhan let out a surprised yet happy laugh, brushing himself off as he smiled warmly at the other. "I was beginning to wonder where you had gone. It's been a while since I last saw you and was starting to worry that you had passed on without me knowing or something."

Confusion passed over the ghost's face and he blinked at Luhan in amazement for a moment before speaking. "You... You were worried about me?" He asked, completely baffled.

"Well yeah. You were one of the first ghosts I ever met over here, and though you may have scared me at first, I know you were only playing tricks because that's just the sort of guy you are. You didn't mean to cause me harm or anything." Luhan explained, shrugging softly. "So yeah, I was worried when I hadn't seen you for a while."

"I-I... Thanks." Jongdae said, a more genuine and touched smile slowly spreading across his lips. "Nobody has ever said that to me before."

"Well they should." Luhan chuckled, gently patting the ghost on the shoulder. "You're a good guy, Jongdae. You just have a more playful personality than most."

If Luhan had thought, that almost a year down the line after moving to South Korea, that he would be here chatting so easily with the ghost that had pestered him mercilessly at the start, he would have laughed at himself and called himself crazy. And yet, it was actually happening. And every word that was passing his lips was completely genuine. He had come to miss the impish soul which was something he never could have predicted. He really had come a long way.

"Thank you, Luhan." Jongdae said, his smile growing as his eyes began to shine with happiness. "You don't know how much that means to me to hear something like that."

Luhan returned his smile, though his was a lot more amused as he chuckled softly. "You're welcome." He nodded before a thought occurred to him. "Oh! I was just heading back to my place for a movie night with Minseok, you know him right? Did you want to join us?"

Yet again the ghost blinked at him in confusion. "Me? J-Join you?"

"Of course." Luhan smiled again, his hand finding the smaller's shoulder again. "What better way to get to know you a little better."

"But... Why would you want to?" The ghost asked. The insecurity in his eyes stirred something within Luhan and suddenly he understood the other's actions a lot better. The pranks and tricks were all a front, a mask... Underneath all of that he had been a somewhat lost soul who didn't think much of himself yet still desperately wanted to just belong...

"Because." He started, a reassuring smile on his lips as he squeezed the spectre's shoulder. "I want us to be friends, Jongdae."

The expression that appeared on the other's face was both amusing and somewhat heartbreaking at the same time. Jongdae had a look that was a cross between hope, amazement and disbelief on his face. Had nobody ever said something like that to him before too? That wasn't right at all. Jongdae was a really nice guy, and he was clearly taken from the world way too early. And Luhan hadn't been lying when he said that he wanted to get to know him more and become his friend. Everybody could use a friend. Even Jongdae.

Especially Jongdae.

"Friends? You... You want to be my friend?" He asked, his eyes growing wide.

Luhan simply nodded, giving the ghost another warm and reassuring smile. "Yeah."

Jongdae let out a happy laugh of disbelief before confusion passed across his eyes and he looked down at his hands. Luhan followed his gaze and gasped softly as he saw that the ghost was beginning to fade.

No...

No, he couldn't be...

The next thing Luhan knew, Jongdae had thrown himself into his arms, hugging him tightly. "Thank you, Luhan. Thank you so much."

"J-Jongdae..."

With tears beginning to fill his eyes as the situation finally caught up with him, Luhan had to swallow thickly as Jongdae pulled away and gave him a wide grateful smile. He watched as he lifted a finger to waggle it playfully in his face, his form gradually becoming fainter and fainter. "Don't forget about me, okay?"

"Jongdae..." Luhan said, his voice cracking with a quiet sob. Was this really happening right now?

The fading ghost gave him a warm tender smile as he stepped further away, lifting his hand to wave softly. "See you later, Luhan. Thank you for being my friend."

And with that Kim Jongdae, prankster ghost extraordinaire faded away into nothing. Not even a wisp of grey remained. He was just gone.

And Luhan was left with an empty feeling in his heart.