X - Collision

Swan Song

~Collision~

Quiet beeping was echoing around the room, and it was an almost familiar sound to Luhan. It was so reminiscent to the beeping he had heard when he had first come around from his coma. Heart monitors all sounded the same after all, no matter what country you were in. This time, though, it wasn't his heart that the beeps were signifying. The beeps, this time, represented the slowing thuds of Joonmyun's heart.

Each beep was reassuring. It meant that they hadn't lost him yet. Though Luhan knew that it was going to happen any minute now really. The old man had taken a turn for the worst throughout the night and when he had come in for his usual visit, he had found Kyungsoo near tears as he escorted him into the room.

He had feared the worst when he had first seen the nurse crying. But walking into the room and seeing the old man still alive, though barely hanging on, it gave him a small wave of relief. It was short lived though. This was it.

There would be no tomorrow for Kim Joonmyun.

Luhan was sat by the bed, his hand gently holding onto one of the elderly gentleman's. He had promised him that he wouldn't die alone, so he wouldn't be. He was right there, holding his hand, Kyungsoo across from him holding the male's other hand and Minseok hovering behind him.

The ghost had been unusually quiet the previous night, and no amount of persuading had gotten him to talk. They had still cuddled in bed as per usual, and he had still kissed him goodnight. But he hadn't spoken much. He was there now though, silently giving Luhan support.

"He was my favourite patient, you know..." Kyungsoo spoke up, his voice wobbly and thick with emotion.

Looking up, Luhan nodded softly as he gave the nurse a small smile. He remained quiet though. He wasn't sure he could find his voice enough to speak.

"They always tell us not to get attached to our patients but... I couldn't help it with Joonmyun. He was just... special."

Kyungsoo was crying now, and Luhan had to bite his bottom lip as tears of his own began to fill his eyes. "He was." He whispered quietly, returning his gaze back down to the sleeping man's face. "I knew him even less than you did, but he was special to me too. I'm honoured to have even spent this small amount of time with him."

The silence in between the beeps were starting to lengthen, as were the gaps in the elderly man's breathing. They were moments away now... and finally the tears Luhan had been trying to hold in spilled free over his cheek's as he gripped the hand in his firmly. "Joonmyun..." He started, having to pause to swallow before he continued. "You've worked hard. But it's time to stop. It's okay. You can rest now."

It was almost as if the elderly man had needed to hear those very words before he could pass on. For the next time the machine beeped and he in a weak breath... it was the last. The room was plunged into an almost stunned silence, and Luhan didn't know how long it truly lasted but it felt like hours. It was broken though by a long drawn out note from the machine and with shaky hands, Kyungsoo stood and fumbled to turn it off.

There was no need to explain... They all knew what that meant.

"I-I'll go fetch the doctor." Kyungsoo stuttered before hurrying from the room, leaving Luhan with Joonmyun.

He continued to simply gaze at him silently for a while before he sniffed, swallowing down a sob as he lifted the other's hand to press a gentle kiss to the back of it. "Thank you." He said, his voice cracking with emotion. "I'll never forget you, sir. You'll be a Guardian Angel to us all now." He said, a sad smile appearing on his face before he placed his hand back onto the bed and stood from the chair.

Luhan had been about to turn to face Minseok when he was distracted by the door opening and the doctor stepping in. Bowing his head in greeting, he grabbed his backpack before stepping out of the room. He didn't go far though, simply leaning against the wall just outside of the door, Kyungsoo mirroring him.

"Luhan?" The nurse spoke up, causing Luhan to raise his eyes to look at him again. "Thank you. I know you being there meant a lot to him, so thank you."

Lifting his shoulders, Luhan shrugged softly before he answered, his voice small and a little hesitant. "You asked me to."

"Yes, but... You could have said no. But you never did. So thank you."

This was getting too much for him now. He just wanted to get out of there, go home and curl up in Minseok's arms. Maybe cry a little bit too. Yeah, that sounded good. So, after shrugging on his backpack, he wiped at his eyes, making a move to turn to leave before a thought stopped him.

"You know... all the time we spoke, he never told me his son's name."

"Really?" Kyungsoo asked, already working on drying his own eyes, though the effort was somewhat futile for them both.

"Nope. It was always 'My son' or 'My boy'." Luhan replied, shaking his head in emphasis.

The name he received from the nurse though made his blood run cold. "Minseok. His son's name was Minseok."

No... it couldn't be. He had to have heard wrong. No way was it... No.

He wasn't even going to ask Kyungsoo to repeat himself, afraid that the name he had spoken was who he was thinking of. So instead he nodded a little shakily before stuttering as he spoke. "A-Ah. W-Well... I g-guess I'll be off then."

Without waiting for a response from the nurse, Luhan the spot and began to walk briskly down the hall. His heart was pounding hard in his chest, and he felt as if the world was beginning to crash down around him.

Minseok was nowhere in sight.

It had been his name the other had spoken. Minseok... Kim Minseok...

Once he had exited the cancer ward, the young man all but broke into a run as he headed towards the general exit of the hospital. He had to find him. He had to prove that it wasn't him. It couldn't be,

"Minnie?" He whispered out, calling to him as much as he was able to surrounded by people.

"I'm a ghost. I died twenty years ago, Lu..."

Minseok's voice began to swirl around in his head, snippets of their previous conversations echoing in his ears fuelling his fear and panic even more.

"I grew up in a broken household. My mother left us when I was a baby, so it was just me and my Dad."

Every step, another flashback.

"Car crash. I was driving home from work when another car struck the back of mine."

This wasn't happening...

"I found out afterwards that it had actually been a car further back that had started it. There was a chain reaction of cars running into cars, and unfortunately for me, mine was run into a barrier."

Where was Minseok? Why couldn't he find him? He was right there before...

"I was thrown through the windscreen, over the barrier and died upon impact. It's better than bleeding to death, I guess."

As he broke through the front entrance, a visual flashback hit him and Luhan nearly fell as his knees buckled.

The grave... Minseok's grave...

'Kim Minseok

March 26th 1970 - August 8th 1994

Beloved Son.'

It all made sense. It all added up. This couldn't be happening...

"Minseok!" He shouted out, running full sprint through the gates and out into the road. He had to find him. It couldn't end like this. It couldn't. He couldn't lose his Minseok now. Not after everything. Not like this. No... "Minseok, where are you!?!"

Darting through the cars, uncaring of his own safety, Luhan continued to run. Tears were streaming down his face as he felt his heart break within his chest. This wasn't fair! He was practically screaming out for the other now, so desperate to find him.

He had turned, running out onto a busy road when there was a sudden screech of tires on the road, a loud horn echoing in the air. Luhan had just enough time to turn and face the truck that was heading towards him before there was a loud sound of impact.

Pain... there was a lot of pain. And it felt like he was flying through the air. But the last thing Luhan registered was the ache in his heart where Minseok used to be before suddenly and all too quickly... everything went black.