VI - Second Bridge

Swan Song

~Second Bridge~

That day they had left the park as only two living beings. Baekhyun, after promising to wait for his best friend had slowly faded away. His fears had been soothed, he had been forgiven and now it was his time to move on with his afterlife and wait for Chanyeol, just like he had promised.

It had been sad to watch him go, but Luhan also felt proud. He had handled this one mostly by himself. Something he never would have even thought about doing months ago. But with Minseok by his side, giving him often silent support, he had grown stronger. He was beginning to work through his fears and get over them. Ghosts didn't scare him any more. Not really. He still felt anxious around them occasionally, but that initial crippling fear was long gone.

Minseok was what had been missing in his life before. And he was so glad to have met him when he did.

After Baekhyun had moved on, it hadn't taken Luhan and Chanyeol long to finally finish the song. Something that the younger was incredibly proud of, and so he should be in Luhan's opinion. It sounded really good, and no longer did it leave the listener feeling heavy and dragged down. Now it ended on a high point, with the feeling of hope and the promise of good things to come.

Naturally, after their work was completed, Chanyeol began to drift away from Luhan. But he didn't really mind. They were pretty much from different generations and it was only natural that the younger would want to continue on with normal teenager behaviour. Plus Luhan still had his work at the dance studio to contend with, so they found themselves with less and less time to hang out. They still kept in contact, mainly through email, which was nice. But no longer did Chanyeol need Luhan in his life 24/7 like he had done throughout the song writing process.

Thus Luhan found himself with a gap in his life after that. He hadn't realised just how much time he had put into helping the young lad. And with him now fading out of his life, that left him with a small sense of loss. Thankfully Minseok didn't need to spend as much time with his father as before and instead was right by Luhan's side again. That definitely helped to fill in the gap. And Minseok was more than happy to spend days just cuddled up with the other, sharing kisses and simply relishing in each other's company.

They still hadn't defined what exactly they were though. A lot was being left unsaid between them and if there was one thing that Luhan had learned through dealing with Baekhyun and Chanyeol, it was that honesty really was the best policy. Hiding things from those most important to you could end with tragic results. Life was short, and it was much better to just be honest with everyone rather than keep everything quiet and hidden.

He didn't want to end up like the younger two, hiding things from Minseok and ending up living in a never ending cycle of 'What ifs'. No, he wanted to be as honest as he possibly could be with the smaller. He wanted him to know just how much he meant to him, how important he was to him, how much he loved him. He didn't want to live in regret for not telling Minseok that he was the most important person in his life and that he would have been completely lost without him. He needed him to know.

That was why he decided to tell Minseok exactly what he was feeling. Though as soon as opened his mouth to speak he was hit with a rather large wave of nerves. He couldn't let it beat him though. He had to tell the other, he needed to.

"Minseok..." He started, pausing to take a breath as the smaller turned his head to look at him. Not for the first time, Luhan was struck by just how breathtaking the other male was. His features were exquisite, even when they were morphed into a look of curiosity and confusion like they were right then. He was beautiful, and Luhan felt a surge of affection swelling in his heart as he continued. "Meeting you was the best thing to ever happen to me. You've helped me so much. You give me the strength I need to deal with everything. And I don't think I could have done it without you."

As Luhan spoke he watched as Minseok's face slowly relaxed into an affectionate smile, his eyes shining with happiness. "Luhan..." He started, but Luhan cut him off. He hadn't finished yet.

"You mean so much to me. You're the most important person in my life. And after seeing what not being honest did to Baekhyun and Chanyeol... I don't want to keep anything from you. I want you to know exactly how I feel about you." He said, taking another pause to in a nervous breath. He had dropped his gaze down to his hands whilst he had been speaking, but now he raised it again, meeting Minseok's eyes. "Minseok... I... I love you."

The living room was quiet for a moment, the only sound being the quiet chattering coming from the television. It was a little awkward and Luhan felt his body beginning to tense, before a small hand took his and he was greeted with a tender smile. "I love you too, Luhan." Minseok smiled, leaning forward to press a gentle kiss to his lips. When they pulled away Luhan couldn't help but notice a strange glint in the other's eyes. He was about to ask what was wrong when Minseok continued to speak. "You are the most important person to me too. That's why I have to tell you something."

"What is it?" Luhan asked, tilting his head in question as he gazed at the smaller a little nervously.

"Lu... I..." Minseok started, having to pause, himself, to in a shaky breath. "There is a reason why I can talk and interact with the ghosts too. A reason that I kept from you. And I am so sorry for that. You deserved to know the truth from the moment we met but... I didn't tell you. You were so scared and I didn't want to make everything worse. And then over time, I fell for you and I didn't want to lose you. It was selfish of me not to tell you."

Luhan's heart was pounding so hard it felt like it was trying to escape from his chest. What was going on? What was it that Minseok was trying to say? What had he kept hidden from him? And why did he feel like his heart was already breaking? in a breath, he exhaled it slowly before reluctantly asking again, "What is it?"

"I..." Minseok started again before meeting Luhan's eyes, his gaze full of apologies. "Luhan... I'm a ghost."

Luhan blinked in confusion. He had to have misheard right? How could Minseok be a ghost? That wasn't right at all. No he definitely had misheard. And yet... his gut was telling him that he had heard correctly, and his insides felt like they were beginning to twist up in knots. "What?"

"I'm a ghost. I died twenty years ago, Lu..."

"No..." Luhan denied, shaking his head immediately, as he began to pull away from the other. "No, you can't be a ghost. You can't be." He couldn't believe it. He wouldn't. It hurt too much to even consider that the man he was in love with was already dead. That was unfair. That was a cruel twist of fate, that neither of them deserved. Would life really be that cruel to him?

Yes... Yes it would. Life hadn't been fair to him all along, so why would now be any different?

"I am, Luhan. I'm so sorry. I never should have let it get this far. I should have told you from the start... save us both from this pain."

"You can't be." Luhan said, his eyes beginning to well up with tears. He really couldn't believe that this was happening to him. What had he done to deserve this? "It's unfair. This is so unfair. I've lost you before I could even have you." He said, his voice cracking as the tears broke free and began to slide down his cheeks. He didn't even bother to lift a hand to wipe them away. What was the point? More would just follow.

Minseok was looking at him a little helplessly. Guilt was shining in his eyes and he had his arms lifted, hovering inches away from Luhan. He wasn't sure if he wanted him to touch him or not. He was a ghost after all. He wasn't real, he wasn't alive.

And yet... this was Minseok. His Minseok. And just because he was a ghost that didn't change who he was. That didn't change how much he meant to him. Which was why Luhan flung himself forward into Minseok's arms, clinging to him as he sobbed into his shoulder.

He felt as the smaller let out a sigh, his arms securely pulling him closer as he gently nuzzled his cheek. "I'm so sorry." He whispered into Luhan's ear. "I love you so much and I am so so sorry."

Luhan still didn't want to believe it though. He needed proof.

Yes, the other's disappearances made a lot more sense now. Whenever they would have been around a more intimate number of others, Minseok would make excuses for himself not to be there. He would only be around if it was just them, or if there were so many people that nobody would even look their way. But he still wanted proof.

"Can I see it?" He asked once he had managed to quell his sobs somewhat. "Your grave... Can I see it?" He asked.

Minseok looked down at him and though insecurity was swimming in his eyes and he was clearly unsure, he nodded his head gently. "Okay. If you want to." He replied.

Luhan nodded himself in answer giving the ghost, who was also the love of his life, a tiny smile. He too wasn't sure whether going to see the grave was a good idea or not. It might just do him more harm than good. But he had to make sure. He had to confirm the other's words for himself.

Even if by doing so he would break his own heart even more.

He had to know.

---

Once again the two of them were walking through a grave yard, the backs of their hands brushing as they walked side by side. It was a familiar scene to them, yet this time there was no extra ghost with them. It was just Luhan and Minseok. And it was Minseok's grave they were going to see.

Luhan still didn't want to believe that the man he was in love with was actually a ghost. That was just too unfair. After everything, that not only he had been through but Minseok too, they were now doomed to be in love with someone that they couldn't physically be with. Their relationship had been cursed from the very start.

And yet Luhan didn't regret it at all. He wished that things were different, that Minseok was alive too, but he didn't regret falling for him at all. Meeting him was still the best thing that could have ever happened to him. He loved him, and nothing was ever going to change that.

"Here it is." Minseok's voice broke the silence that had fallen between them, and Luhan followed the smaller's gaze to land on a gravestone that was just in front of them. It wasn't grand or extravagant. It wasn't a gravestone that would immediately grab someone's attention. But it was small and understated giving it a somewhat elegant aura. It suited Minseok perfectly.

Swallowing thickly, Luhan looked over to the other, seeking his permission and reassurance which Minseok immediately granted him, giving him a small smile and a nod of his head. "Go ahead." He said, verbally answering Luhan's unspoken question.

He didn't want to. Luhan really didn't want to approach the gravestone and read the evidential inscription. But at the same time, he did. He felt so incredibly conflicted. But deep down he knew that he needed to do this. He had to know.

So after taking a deep breath to steady his nerves and to try and calm the thumping of his heart in his chest, he stepped forward and approached the somewhat imposing gravestone. His hands were clenched in front of himself, playing anxiously with his own fingers, and his gaze was locked onto the ground. Eventually though he raised his eyes and immediately he sank to his knees.

There really was no mistaking it now. Minseok was dead. He was a ghost. And here was the gravestone to prove it.

'Kim Minseok

March 26th 1970 - August 8th 1994

Beloved Son.'

Four... Luhan had been four years old when Minseok had died. That thought alone was a little strange. But ghosts never aged, that was something Luhan had learned fairly early on after his ability had developed. When somebody became a ghost they always stayed at the same age they were when they died. So even though technically Minseok should have been forty four years old, he was still only actually twenty four.

He had been a ghost for twenty years. That was an awfully long time, and Luhan really didn't know how the other had managed it. There was obviously a reason why he was still lurking around. But he didn't want to know what it was. He didn't want to know, because if he did... there was a greater chance that he could lose him. And that was something he did not want to happen at all. He didn't care if he was being selfish, but he hoped that Minseok would never move on with his afterlife and would stay by his side until he too died so they could always be together.

Letting his eyes scan over the carved words once again, he spoke up. "How did it happen?" He asked, his voice quiet and unsure.

A sigh reached his ears and he felt as Minseok sat down next to him, he too facing the gravestone. "Car crash." He answered, speaking no louder than Luhan had done himself. "I was driving home from work when another car struck the back of mine. I found out afterwards that it had actually been a car further back that had started it. There was a chain reaction of cars running into cars, and unfortunately for me, mine was run into a barrier. I was thrown through the windscreen, over the barrier and died upon impact. It's better than bleeding to death, I guess."

Luhan let out a shuddering breath as he shuffled on the spot so he was sat down properly, his legs pulled up to his chest, before he leant into Minseok's side. "I'm sorry. You probably didn't want to relive that. I shouldn't have asked."

"It's okay. You deserved to know." Minseok asked, wrapping his arm gently around Luhan's back.

They fell into a subdued silence for a while, sat close huddled up together as they gazed at the gravestone before them. Luhan really didn't want to believe that it was true, but the evidence was right there in front of him. There was just no denying it any more. Minseok was a ghost.

Luhan was in love with a ghost. And that was so bitterly ironic to him, that he wanted to laugh. He didn't though. The situation was far from funny at all. And he knew that if he gave in to his urges and started to laugh that his emotions would take over and he would end up as yet another sobbing heap for Minseok to try and look after.

"This is so unfair." He finally whispered, repeating the words he had said many times since he had first found out. "Why did this have to happen?"

"I don't know." The other answered, turning his head and leaning down a tiny bit to press a kiss to Luhan's hair. "But, in a way... I'm glad that it did."

Raising his eyes, Luhan blinked slightly in confusion at the spectre's words. "What do you mean?"

"Well..." Minseok started. "If I hadn't died when I did, if I hadn't have been a ghost for twenty years... we might never have met. If things hadn't happened the way they did, I might never have met you, gotten to know you and fallen in love with you. So, in a way, I'm glad that everything happened as it did. I wouldn't have you, otherwise."

Truthfully the whole situation was so much more confusing than Luhan was comfortable with. It hurt to think about. And he really just had no idea what to do. It wasn't like they could have a real proper relationship after all. "Minseok..." Luhan started, his voice taking on a pleading tone.

"I know." The other started, nodding his head gently before tightening his arm around Luhan's back. "I know how hard this is. But I'll wait for you. I love you so much, and I promise that I will wait for you."

This was just getting more and more unfair. Minseok was absolutely perfect, but Luhan couldn't have him. Yet... the ghost was willing to wait for him. That was way more than he ever expected, and so much more than he deserved. "Minseok..." He repeated, his voice tinged with affection.

"I'll wait for you, but you have to promise me that you'll take your time. Like Baekhyun told Chanyeol, you are not allowed to rush it, okay? You have to promise to live your life to the fullest. I don't want you joining me prematurely. We all have our times to go after all, and I will wait until yours comes. But I don't want you to join me before then. Deal?" Minseok asked, looking at Luhan seriously, though there was a tender and playful glint in his eye.

Luhan's face melted into a tender smile and he nodded his head gently before he spoke. "Deal. I promise that I will live until my scheduled end comes. Happy?" He asked, his eyes crinkling as he smiled.

"Very." The other grinned, nodding back in reply.

Luhan simply laughed happily, his heart full of love and affection for the other as he moved forward. "I love you, Kim Minseok." He smiled before pressing a tender kiss to the Minseok's lips.

"And I love you, my Luhan."

The younger gave him another warm smile before he pulled away quickly. "Oh! I know!" He exclaimed before shoving his hands in his pockets as he searched for something. After a few fumbling moments, he pulled out a piece of paper and a pen. "No peeking." He warned, scowling playfully at the ghost before turning his back on him and beginning to jot something down on the paper.

He knew that this was cheesy, and that nobody would understand why the piece of paper with his words on was there, but he didn't care. He loved Minseok, even if he was a ghost. And he wanted everybody to know that out there somewhere was someone who loved the departed soul dearly, somebody that wasn't his father.

Recapping the pen, he slid it back into his pocket before he moved up to the gravestone. Lifting the fingers of one hand, Luhan gently trailed his fingertips down the inscription before a soft smile appeared on his lips. He made sure to hide what he was doing from the other as he carefully stuck the newly written addition to the gravestone. Once satisfied he nodded before shuffling back and leaning into Minseok's embrace once more.

He waited with almost bated breath as the ghost scanned the words he had written, and he felt the arms around him tightening. "Luhan... You are perhaps the most perfect human being in the whole world. And I am so lucky to call you mine."

Luhan simply giggled as he too scanned the words he had written, feeling very proud of himself for making the other so happy.

'Kim Minseok

March 26th 1970 - August 8th 1994

Beloved Son.'

That was the inscription, but Luhan felt that that hadn't been enough. So with the piece of paper and pen, he had added his own words.

'And Eternally Cherished Boyfriend.'

"It's more accurate now." Luhan said, the smile almost glued to his face.

A light-humoured laugh reached his ears, and he soon felt his chin lifted and a loving kiss pressed to his lips. "I love you." Minseok said, repeating the words that they seemed to constantly say to each other now.

Lifting a hand, Luhan gently caressed his boyfriend's cheek. "I love you too." He replied before closing the distance between them again, fitting his lips back to Minseok's.

Unbeknownst to the couple, they were being watched by a dark figure once again. It was the second of the pair that had been following and observing them. He flicked his head, blond strands of hair moving from in front of his eyes as he spoke to himself. "Oh how sweet. They've worked it all out."

The figure pushed himself away from the gravestone he had been leaning against, and he gave the still kissing figures one last glance before he slid his hands into his pockets and began to stalk away. "It seems almost a shame that time is almost up."

His steps were silent as he walked through the rows of graves. He withdrew one of his hands and began to dance his fingers along the tops of the stones as he passed them. "But the clock waits for no-one... Tick Tock, Tick Tock. Not long now."