Chapter 11: The Rift

The Monday Couple Journey

‘Jihyo ah, CEO Baek wants to meet you tomorrow at his office at 5pm. Do you think he’s going to talk to you about Kang Gary-ssi?’ Jihyo’s manager asked.

Jihyo treated her manager like a real unnie, and her manager did too. Jihyo had told her manager unnie about Gary and her, and even though her manager feels that it was risky to be dating, especially with a celebrity, she wished Jihyo all the best, as she could see Jihyo’s happiness from her eyes whenever she talked about Gary.

‘Oh… I don’t know, unnie… I’ll just go see him tomorrow.’ Jihyo said with a sad tone.



*knock knock*

‘Come in.’ Baek Chang Joo said with a mellow tone.

‘Chang Joo oppa, my manager said you wanted to meet me… May I know what the matter is?’ Jihyo asked.

‘Oh! I wanted to see you because I missed you!’ Chang Joo blurted.

Even though that sounded like something that would come from Gary’s mouth, Jihyo was not in the least bit happy when she heard that. Instead, she felt disgusted that her CEO who she doesn’t even like is flirting with her like they were a couple.

‘Hahaha oppa, seriously what did you want to meet me for?’ Jihyo tried to mask her disgust with a fake laugh.

‘Oh my sister’s birthday is around the corner, and I need to get her a present. But since I am a big man, I know nothing about present for girls, so I thought that you could go shop for a present with me. I was thinking of getting a necklace for her.’ Chang Joo said with a slightly chauvinistic tone.

‘Your sister’s birthday? Well, you didn’t have to ask me to go with you! We have so many other female colleagues…But since you’ve asked me, then okay!’ Jihyo agreed in order not to offend her CEO who can ruin her career.

‘That’s great Jihyo! Let’s go grab dinner first, I’m a little hungry. I’ll bring you to my favourite restaurant!’ Chang Joo exclaimed.

‘Okay oppa.’ Jihyo replied nonchalantly, and even though she didn’t want to have dinner with Chang Joo, her stomach was rumbling and thus she agreed to dinner too.



‘We’re here! Let’s go Mong Ji!’ Chang Joo said as he got out of the car.

Mong Ji?! Who is he to call me Mong Ji? Seriously, this man has such thick skin!

Jihyo got out without a word and followed Chang Joo, and she got a shock when they reached the restaurant. The restaurant was b with people, and all the people would have easily recognised Jihyo! Fortunately, Jihyo brought her sunglasses, cap, mask, and hoodie. It wasn’t that easy after Jihyo put all of them on. While having dinner, Chang Joo kept trying to initiate conversations, and crack jokes to make Jihyo laugh. However, Jihyo replied politely mostly with one or two words replies, and tried to cut the conversation short. Even though the man sitting in front of her was Chang Joo, the man in her mind and heart was Kang Gary.

‘Ah Jihyo, that was some great dinner! Let’s go get my sister’s present now.’ Chang Joo said as he got up from his seat.

As Chang Joo and Jihyo walked through the crowded street, Jihyo could feel Chang Joo’s hand brushing against hers intentionally.

This man is too much! But what can I do… he’s my CEO!

Jihyo then folded her arms to prevent Chang Joo from touching her hands again, and looked away from Chang Joo.

After what seemed like forever due to walking with Chang Joo, they finally reached a jewelry shop.

‘Jihyo, take a look at which necklace you like. My sister should have the same taste as you, after all your fashion sense is really good!’ Chang Joo praised Jihyo.

Without bothering to reply, Jihyo glanced at the necklace. Even though it was Chang Joo’s sister, Jihyo still looked at the necklaces seriously, as she thought his sister would be really happy upon receiving a beautiful necklace. After a while, Jihyo had picked a necklace with beautiful sparkling diamonds on it.

‘Excuse me, can you help me take this out?’ Chang Joo asked the saleswoman while pointing at the necklace.

After receiving the necklace over, Chang Joo scrutinized the necklace for a moment.

‘I cannot really tell whether it will look good on my sister… Jihyo, let me put it on for you to take a look!’ Chang Joo said as he proceeded to put on the necklace on Jihyo. Jihyo was in her mong state just then, thinking about Gary and about how great it would be if Gary was the one here instead of her CEO. She was caught off guard and without her knowing it, she was wearing the necklace Chang Joo put on for her.

‘Wow… you look beautiful with the necklace! I think my sister will look good in it too! Alright I’ll take it!’ Chang Joo said as he proceeded to the cashier, and Jihyo removed the necklace.

‘Jihyo, thank you for coming with me. Do you want me to get you anything? A bangle? A necklace? A wedding-‘ Chang Joo got cut off by Jihyo before he could say ‘ring’.

‘Oppa, no thank you. I’m really tired. Please fetch me home if you are willing to.’ Jihyo requested.

‘Ah okay, sure…’ Chang Joo replied.



‘Jihyo, we’ve reached your home.’ Chang Joo said.

‘Okay oppa, thank you very much for the ride home. I’m going up.’ Jihyo said as she was unbuckling her seatbelt.

‘Good night and sleep well.’ Chang Joo said.

Just then, as Jihyo was still trying to unbuckle her seatbelt, Chang Joo inched nearer towards her face. He used his chapped lips to plant a kiss on Jihyo's smooth silk cheeks, to Jihyo's utter surprise.

'Oppa!' Jihyo exclaimed as she cupped her cheek and looked at Chang Joo in total disgust.

'Haha, take it as a friendly kiss Jihyo, no need to be so worked up! Bye Jihyo!' Chang Joo retorted as he sped off in his convertible.

This man is too much! I better be careful next time... I miss Gary oppa...

Just as Jihyo was about to step into her lift, her phone beeped.

Gary: Jihyo, where are you now?

Jihyo: Oppa! I’m reaching home soon! I missed you!

Gary: You’re home? Okay, I’m with Gil at a café near your house. I’ll reach your house in 20 minutes.

Jihyo: Oh oppa, what’s the hurry?

Jihyo waited for a while and still there was no reply. Thinking that Gary might not have seen her reply, she went to take a quick shower to look fresh for her beloved Kang Gary. After her bath, she put on some comfortable pajamas as she waited from Gary to arrive.

*ding dong*

Jihyo rushed to open the door, and was greeted by Gary and his signature calm face. But this time, she could sense that there was something different about his calmness. Jihyo hugged Gary tight, after her day of torture with Baek Chang Joo, but Gary just stood there without returning the hug. After Jihyo broke away from the hug, Gary went to the couch to take a seat, and so did Jihyo.

‘Oppa, why did you come visit me when it’s so late already? Did you miss me?’ Jihyo asked.

But Gary was just fiddling with his phone, not replying Jihyo.

‘Oppa, what’s wrong?’ Jihyo asked, concerned.

‘Jihyo, please explain to me all these.’ Gary said with a gloomy tone, as he passed the phone to Jihyo.

As Jihyo scrolled through the pictures, she was stupefied by what the pictures were of.
 

It was of her and Baek Chang Joo from the ‘date’ they had just now. Pictures of them in the car, pictures of them having dinner, pictures of them at the jewelry shop, and the worst, a picture of Chang Joo kissing Jihyo on the cheek.

‘Oppa, things are not what you think they are… I was helping Chang Joo oppa choose a necklace for his sister’s birthday, he was just seeing if it looked good… The kiss, I was caught off guard oppa!’

‘Are you sure you were caught off guard? You seemed like you were ready for his kiss!’

‘Oppa, I’m sorry, but I really was! I was unbuckling my seatbelt, and he kissed me on the cheek before I could react! I’m sorry oppa, I know this hurts you, but please, please believe me oppa, you know you’re the man that I love!’ Jihyo was starting to tear up by now.

‘I don’t know Jihyo… He’s better looking than me, and much richer than me… I could understand if you chose him over me. Sorry Jihyo, I’m tired, I want to go home. I’ll call you again.’ Gary said as he left the house, tearing up.

‘Oppa! Oppa!’ Jihyo shrieked. Jihyo was crying as she saw Gary driving off through her blurry vision. She was upset that Gary did not believe her, but even more heartbroken that Gary thought she would choose Chang Joo over him because of his looks and wealth. Jihyo collapsed on her sofa, and cried her eyes out. After crying and feeling better, she decided that she could not just let this go like that. She had the burning need to explain everything to Gary. She picked up her phone and started texting Gary.

Jihyo: Oppa, I understand how you feel now. I know that you may feel betrayed and heartbroken, but please, please oppa, I only went out with my CEO because he asked me to help him with his sister’s present and that kiss, I was really unaware he was going to do it! The only person I was thinking when I was out with him, was you. I couldn’t wait to get back home and call you. Please know that no matter what, I love you. Even if you have no money, even if you don’t have the looks, you are the person I love. Please reply me oppa, please. <3 Jihyo

After waiting for a while on the couch and still no reply from Gary, Jihyo fell asleep as she was tired from walking for the whole night, and also from the emotional roller coaster she just rode. But just before she fell asleep, one question kept ringing in her head:

Who sent the pictures, and why?



‘Yong Hwan, are you sure the pictures were taken clearly and sent to Kang Gary ssi?’

‘Yes.’

‘I hope this creates some problems between the ‘Monday Couple’. Good job Yong Hwan.’

'Thank you, CEO Baek.'


Author: Hi guys! Chapter 11 is up and thank you all for the 3000 over views! Hope you guys like this chapter! Do you guys understand the ending of this chapter? Yong Hwan is Baek Chang Joo's assistant that I made up by the way! Thank you guys, and please leave your comments below! Gomawo~

P.S Sorry for the super long wait!